1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey yeah like King of Frost asked, is the Source the creator of the Silver City and the angels or is Jehovah, or the Mind of God, simply an aspect of the Source or someone that gained great powers from it, like Highfather in the comics, and then just made the angels?

When the renegade overthrew the British government he told Knight that monotheists on earth basically worship something that is NotZeus, a white bearded fellow in the sky with less lusty tendencies, rather than the Source itself, like they do on New Genesis, and maybe Apokalyps as a show of some kind of rebellion versus Darkseid, who dislikes anyone that worships anything that isn't him.

Also will we get an explanation on what the Spear of Destiny is in your story if it isn't the spear the stabbed Jesus in the side?
    That angel said that it wasn't a roman spear and that it felt like it had earthly(material universe) magic on it, so does it have some connection to Jesus, aside from simply being something that was considered to have stabbed him for several centuries, or is it something completely different and if it is different then does it at least have some connection to the Source?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Navi-Hank likes this.
  3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I believe that Zoat covered the (lack) of physics for Kryptonian Ice Breath when Grayven visited Earth-50 for the first time.

As for the POV of Superman in this fight, I'm reminded of the comics where they talk about his flash like accelerated perception and thought process.

In the World's Finest Crossover Comics (the newer ones) Superman/Batman #6, when referencing their conjoined body of Composite Superman created by Mister Mxyzptlk, Batman mentally exclaimed to Superman, "Clark, your mind races, I never knew" and Superman replies, "And yours Bruce, is so dark".

So there is, from Batman's observation point, a difference in how Superman's brain processes stuff, which makes sense due to his accelerated speeds and reaction times we've seen. Does mean he's got a bit of subjective time to spend thinking about how he acts during fights like this. I've heard similar arguments for why Spiderman Quibs so much. He's got a lot of time to think even during a fight, due to his physical speed and spider-sense, and thus he comes up with zingers while he's at it.

So Smarts or not, even an averagely intelligent superman can observe and plan ahead if he's got the mental process cycles to spend on things. And we know Clark's a bit brighter then average in most universes.

For example, the 'Earth One" comic from a number of years back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Equation looks like BS to me, but hey, I'm not a comic book scientist.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes. Guess what his cutie mark looks like!
    Pass.
    Pass.
    Yes.
    Probably the latter, though I haven't made a hard decision.
    Let's say that in the second part he's talking about guns bigger than a revolver. And there's a difference between being able to pick up a gun and fire it and knowing how to use it well.

Ngamer11, Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  5. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Sorry, got a couple days behind.

As strong supporter of safe, reliable, Nuclear power (with enough research, we can almost completely eliminate the waste), Mr. Atom has my vote for President. Heck, if I lived in this universe, I would ask if he was hiring Machinists to make the parts for his new reactors. I am quite skilled in milling and lathe work, I am still learning advanced CNC programming techniques but that study is coming along nicely.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Huh....

The Quotes from Grimnar reminded me of something.

Waaay Back when, Paul picked up his first pistol, and states specifically that it's a "Smith & Wesson Model 63" chambered in .22 cal at the range for training. Later On he states that his side arm is a copy of that gun from the range he constructed with the ring ( I think out of titanium ?). Since it was still an 8 shot I assumed it was still a .22 LR. Not much is said about the gun until the few times he does use it, and then later it gets mostly side lined in favor of his energy pistol as a backup.

Anyway....the bit quoted where he states that Zatanna's pistol is smaller...is he referring to the the frame size (physical dimensions) or the caliber? Because .22 Cal LR is pretty small to begin with. The former makes more sense, as frame sizes of pistols makes a big difference for smaller people with smaller hands. The Caliber is fairly light, (still lethal at close range with correct shot placement, but not exactly on most folks recommenced self defense or police backup gun lists). Honestly there aren't many rounds lighter then that you could down grade to.

And an aside on that, while I respect the choice in revolver as a reliable and simple design for a new shooter, quality control on .22 rim fire doesn't quite hold up to the same factors when picking a caliber. Lucky he can just keep pulling the trigger in case of a dud though.

Prince Charon, gustyeagle and Ardy like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Let's go with the frame size.

8. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

A serpent wrapped around an apocryphal fruit... Sorry, that would be the Paragon SI's mark.
    A large ham? Like The cartoon ones with the square net grid marks pressed into the flesh.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Caerwen and 4 others like this.
  9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Looks like a change from SV didn't make it over: "qwardamite"

its

This one might offend your sensibilities so I won't complain if you don't do it, but as an American, Clark would use "Mr." instead of just "Mr" for abbreviations.

armor

vaporized

Eh. Gamma rays against stone wouldn't do a whole lot. It takes about 4cm of granite or 6cm of concrete to attenuate gamma rays by 50%. A small chunk of rock would be affected about as much as a pane of glass is affected by a normal laser -- which is to say, not terribly much. It'd get hot around the edges and it might melt if kept under sustained bombardment, but that's... about it. Might get some chemistry going on due to the extra energy causing reactions with atmospheric gases. And once the gamma ray source is removed, it's not likely to retain any radioactivity. (Unlike if this were beta bombardment; that would make a nasty mess.)

We actually use gamma ray exposure as a form of gemstone treatment in the real world. It causes the impurities in the stone to change between states, which can improve or alter color and clarity.

As far as I can tell it's just kinda basic fluff. I haven't cross-checked the specific numbers but it looks plausible -- just... not the kind of unobvious truth that a bunch of chemistry PhDs would overlook.

10. Someguy Somewhere

OL's original pistol would have been the J frame (seen at the bottom).
    Something like the 'Hand Cannon' that Detective Bulock was described to carry would be similar to the N frame (at the top), or possibly the X Frame (not pictured here) for something a step up from that.

Note for non gun people, the Frame reference does not dictate barrel length or caliber exactly, simply the size of the grip and action. While larger calibers are restricted to larger frames, that is due to them required to be large and stronger built to both handle the energies involved as well as to mitigate recoil. Different barrel lengths are available for all frame sizes, and different sets of calibers are available for them as well.

As an aside to the comment of OL making his pistol out of Titanium with his ring, frames can and are made of various materials, from Steel, to Aluminium (Aluminum in American and Canadian English) to more exotic alloys like Magnesium or Scandium. They do this primary for weight saving issues. A lighter pistol is certainly easier to carry around, and these materials are as durable or moreso then steel. That does have a downside, with regards to recoil. Newtons Third Law is still in effect, as is F=MA. The Lighter the gun, the more felt recoil you're going to have.

[​IMG]

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. A clenched fist? What does "Conquest" look like? A throne? A broken castle?

Pauls woul be a cute, curled up orange snake, with it's tongue sticking out.

But Grayven?

Jormuungaand, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Bended (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

3rd March
    04:16 GMT +5

Roll left transition to flight arms ready to block move to crouch.

Paul had once tried to explain why -during the time when he was bonded to the Ophidian- he became so frantic at the idea that his friends weren't happy. As she understood it, the very notion filled him with a horrible sense of wrongness that he struggles to fully describe, as if their lack indicated that the entire universe was going the wrong way and that there might be no way to stop it. Her prior contact with elementals allowed her to honestly say that she understood… But until she touched the ground in this polluted place she had never felt that way herself.

Left arm up to block his eye rays sidestep and turn strike at his upper arm.

It was wrong, and now that she had gotten a feel for it she could feel the wrong in the very air. It was distracting, the constant feel that there was an enemy behind her, beneath her, above her.

Fly behind it kick the back of the knee jump back to evade.

The robot didn't feel wrong. It had been obvious that Paul had intended there to be a final physical challenge; though he made a valiant effort, complex intrigue wasn't his forte. But as much as it tried to spread the poison, the radioactive material, the robot itself felt… Like Red Tornado, actually. Magic in a mechanical frame.

Come back into range to taunt try to strike finger or joint-.

"The robot can absorb radiation through the center of his chest and his eyes!"

Draw sword wait for opening robot distracted lunge dodge left block-.

And a horrible sense of 'more wrong' before-.

Her tongue burns. Her vision greys. Her ears screech. Her skin is.. numb, except on those areas which the armour does not cover. There, she feels a horrible biting.

Something dark grey moves through the grey, her vision too afflicted to tell more.

Her balance is… Off, but remaining still on such a battlefield is to invite death, and however friendly he has been towards Paul she has no desire to greet Lord Hades this day. Judging the horizontal plane as best she can she floats back, trying to stay out of easy reach of the robot's powerful arms.

"-iana!"

She healed far faster than a normal woman, but not instantly and not in this place. She moves her arms into a combat position, ignoring the pain with an accustomed ease. Much like Clark, she was seldom seriously injured but this was hardly the first time.

"-ark."

Her mouth felt awkward, and she felt a moment of grudging respect for both the-. Mr Atom for the power he commanded, and for Paul for finding someone who could give them a challenge like this. The radiation making it impossible for most of the League to approach, thousands of nearby hostages preventing them fighting at their peak-.

Hopefully the lesson he was trying to teach was not that they should not worry about collateral damage.

"Green Lantern! Call for reinforcements! Diana…"

She dimly feels Clark take hold of her armor and lift her into the air as gently as he could manage.

"What.. did it do?"

She could see his face slightly more clearly now, his concern obvious.

"It threw out a lot of radiation. Nearly blinded me. It would have if I'd been any closer."

"Marvel?"

"I can see him. He doesn't look good, but Paul's machine hasn't said that he's out of the game."

She weakly pulls away. "I'm fine here. Get-."

There's a slight twinge of pain from the sudden change in air pressure as Clark flies off to recover their other colleague. And… She's out of the game. While she can still fight, until she's had time to recover she'll be a distraction to their fully-fit friends and colleagues.

She can't see clearly, but…

"Hal?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you have a healing ray?"

"Sorry. I got it out right before that rad pulse and it got fried. Guess I shoulda brought a spare."

And she wouldn't trust a healing potion at this moment even if she had thought to bring one, and of the three members of the League who might heal her with magic none could bear this level of radiation. Hal couldn't abandon his duty containing the radiation-.

"Hey, Wondy." She hears Guy sniff. "That you? You okay in there?"

"Did you bring a healing ray?"

"Nah, left it in my other pants."

She rolls her eyes as he begins to point a blur at her, and she feels a coolness begin to coat her burns.

"What is happening?"

"Supes is going ham on that robot. Robot's goin' ham right back. Think Supes is winnin'. Marvel's looking like he's tryin' ta'-"

"Shazam!"

"-do that."

"Focus the ray upon my eyes."

"You sure 'bout that? You ain't lookin'-."

"Yes."

Her flesh starts to burn once more, but her vision becomes clearer.

"'kay, but there ain't no sense gettin' yerself killed over a trainin'-."

"I will treat this as I would a real fight."

She blinks, her vision returning to normal in time to watch Mr Atom slam its fists into Clark's back and send him face first into the exposed lake bed. She feels nauseous just looking at it, though… That could be the effect of radiation sickness. Glancing upwards she can see Paul remaining on overwatch, and while she lacks Clark and Billy's enhanced vision she likes to imagine that he looks concerned.

"The robot. I damaged the device on its chest."

"Yeah, then Captain Atom shot it and it healed itself right back. You see any weaknesses?"

Nate managed to blindside it with his fists, hitting it in the square of its back where it couldn't reach.

"It uses magic in some way. If we could nullify that, we could weaken it."

"Our wizards ain't exactly nuke-proof."

"Angelica should be able to cope, and then heal herself from any injury afterwards."

"I.. guess. Hold on a sec." He lifts his right hand to his mouth. "Guy to John. Does Angelica think she can handle this radiation?"

"She says she thinks so."

"Okay. Get ready t' bring her in. Robot's usin' magic an' she's gonna mess with it."

"She needs a minute."

"Sure, we can do a-."

"Lantern Jordan Eliminated."

"Minute."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Comedic timing is tricky to handle in text, and often times looses impact because of that medium.

This sequence doesn't have that problem. It set up the fight's pace ahead of time and the fact that things were not going great for the league so the timing doesn't come off as too convenient.

14. Mr Zoat

No.
    That... Segment was posted here.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No.

15. Prosecutor-0

Prosecutor-0 Getting out there.

I'm sure Hades would be "great", but this should be "greet" I think :)

16. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

They.

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

was -> way
    the -> they

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, and we round it out with Diana.

Looks like her link to Gaia is acting up. Something for her to remember feeling in future.

Very astute observation. Mr Atom was rebuilt with Morrow Tech, as established previously...

And we've caught up to last chapter's finish. Ow.

Seriously, radioactive sandblasting to the face. OW. Good thing she can heal, though she's out of the fight for now.

And still trying to fight, if only on the defensive. Tough as adamantine...

At least she's aware of her limits. Large as they are...

Hardly. OL may be pragmatic, but he's not callous.

Already healing, good. Still not fighting fight though.

Stamina of Atlas, baby. If he weren't ten years old, I'd make a crack about other useful things stamina like that is good for...

Damn, the lady is good at her job. Thinking tactically even while badly hurt...

'A' spare? Your subspace pocket should have a dozen at least, just in case. Learn from OL's packrat tendencies, Jordan.

"Smells like bacon... Damn, why do I feel hungry?"

See, Jordan? Guy knows his shit!

Hope he didn't hit the collectors...

"I don't need skin to fight."

And depending on OL's safety protocols, it may turn into one...

Unfortunately, with at least two energy projectors about...

...Dammit, Captain Atom. At least he's trying to make up for his mistake.

Now that's pragmatic. "Pain is temporary" and all that...

Fingers crossed that works, and she doesn't keel over from radiation poisoning instantly because of some hitherto unknown Angelic weakness to radiation.

"Dammit, I could see it coming as I said it... Screw you, comedy!"

Okay, the cavalry is riding in, and getting its teeth kicked in. This may require something drastic, if Blaze can't do something...

Correction:
    ...allowed her to honestly say...

19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think it may be to her long-term benefit that she now understands this, and probably for multiple reasons.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

So what was Guy doing to fix up Diana if he didn’t have a healing ray?

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Oof a superhero whose superpower is projecting radiation as an attack vs a robot that eats radiation to get stronger, that's a REALLY bad matchup.

WargWolf, Cuchulin, Caerwen and 12 others like this.
  23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

He does have a healing ray he was being sarcastic

Gilhelmi, WargWolf, Cuchulin and 13 others like this.
  24. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I forget, are these based on affinities for skills, or on personality traits?

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

My personal theory is that cutie mark assignment is entirely random, and the meaning only has any significance to the one who possesses it.

26. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

That would be amusing in a variety of ways.

Not the least of which is there's something that tracks pony cutiemarks like license plate numbers on cars.

27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not at all.

First of all, according to word of Greg, his energy blasts aren't radioactive.

If his powers work like in the comics, his energy blasts can be of any form of energy he wants. He's been able to manipulate both the Ray's light and Firestorm's nuclear radiation.

Second of all, he can also absorb energy. That is in fact his origin. The US government threw a nuke at him, he absorbed the energy which sent him forward in time.

And showing that he can do that in YJ too, he absorbed the released radiation when one of those plant tentacles smashed a nuclear power plant.

However, there's a limit to how much energy he can absorb in a given amount of time, if he goes over that limit he jumps in time again.

So in fact, Captain Atom, as per his canon abilities in YJ, can severely hamper Mr Atom by absorbing the radiation himself.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  28. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

How long would it take Kal, at current charge level, to leave the battlefield, recharge above the atmosphere and return? And if he employed that strategy, how much radioactive dust would be pulled up in his wake, and where would it be distributed?

(I'm assuming that OL would allow this method.)

29. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I'm guessing, then, in the spirit of capricious and ironic humor, that it's a fruitcake.

w34v3r, WhiteNoise, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Preety sure this is more radiation than an actual nuke - at least an early one.

DAT_NOOB likes this.