1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

How does that work if he was insane or under the influence while he committed those murders?

If the legal defence of being under the influence when a crime was committed is accepted, then how being sane can get him the death penalty if any defence lawyer can argue that he was more stoned than a herbil used to test cosmetics?

gustyeagle likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

British pride.

Yes.
    That was probably part of why.
    He isn't as in to Themyscira as Kon is, but he doesn't have a much stronger attachment to kryptonian culture either.
    That's basically how it usually works. Awakening as the Renegade does it is just more digital rather than analogue.
    The permanent change to his neural chemistry came about as a result of repeated exposure to experimental batches. Prior to going full supervillain he was more careful.

3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

If you commit a crime while under the influence of something that impairs (and is known to impair) your judgement, and if you self-administered it, then as I understand it you're still considered responsible for your actions.

Jormuungaand and Ardy like this.
  4. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

It's a magic artifact. Observing the proper forms is important

Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually "stimuli" unless there's some dialect variation I'm not familiar with.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

How similar would Nabu's soul (prior to brain death or orange assimilation) have been to that of a New God? As an alien Lord of Order, I suppose his soul is fundamentally different to Earth-based spiritual entities, which also prompts me to ask if Old God souls are metaphysically the same as New God ones, with the latter just having more permanent physical/corporeal forms as well. Celestial Archer could use God-speech, so I'd assume they're not that different. None of the angels ever use it though, as far as I'm aware, and I'm not fully clear as to why that is, though I appreciate that canon welding all the multiple cosmologies of DC into a perfectly coherent whole is a bit too much to ask for.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

DrThoth or Mr Zoat can you give us an example of Tao using godspeech?

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  8. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

In the Renegade chapters based on the canon season 1 finale, where the Team discovers that the League has been brainwashed by Starro-tech (I believe that would be Episode 23 or 24 in this fic). Renegade, a recently Awakened Zatanna and Tao sense something awry with Batman's metaphysique and hold a Godspeech conversation to secretly plan an attack to free him and the rest of the League present. The other Awakened members of the Team didn't pick up on it because they weren't as advanced as Zatanna due to either being even more recent (Aqualad) or less mystic/spiritual at the time of Awakening (Artemis) or both (Kid Flash).

Which prompts me to ask, did Renegade ever Awaken Cassandra Cain? Or is that on hold till she's more used to human society? I don't remember what she's up to.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Compared to what? It would look fairly different.
    Old Gods arise from the Dream and intrude upon the material world.
    Angels don't exactly have free will as we understand it.
    No. That's a decision he's leaving to Scott and Barda.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Cassandra Cain was adopted by Scott and Barda Free in the renegade timeline?

Will we see Cassandra Cain in the paragon side, also when is Jason Todd going to make an apperance in the paragon side?

Will paragon OL have an encounter with the Joker in the future, and if so what year?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    I have no plans to use her.
    At some point. Not sure.
    He'll reappear, but not for quite a while.

12. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here. Where magic is concerned in DC, divine tends to mean connected to the angelic host and the Source. New gods, despite the name, are neither related to the jeudo-christian God or the "jumped up elementals" that make up more polytheistic pantheons. Instead, new gods have a complex soul structure that they can directly manipulate to an extent and can subtly affect the world around them.

Ardy likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This isn't DC canon but a fanfic.
    The renegade mentioned that new gods connect to the Source and their souls form structures that make them gods of particular things.
    Paragon mentioned that Eriss soul is made of earth magic as its core and has a chaos magic outer.
    The soul is used to manipulate magic, so technically new gods and their divine counterparts from other worlds share that in common.
    Non new gods seem to be connected to the Dreaming and bind themselves to the concepts floating around there rather than to the Source like new gods do.
    Angels have been referred as source functionaries/gods by themselves and other people like Ragnar and use theurgy that may be connected to the Source. I even have a theory that the Abrahamic god may be a theurgist whose powers were taken to eleven, Highfather could talk to the Source in the comics and the renegade said that the people of earth do not technically worship the source but something else.

Gantradies, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  14. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I could have sworn it said earlier in the fic that there were either 11 or 12 guardians left. It was just after he got stewerts ring and was plundering the database (which I can't find again, because Zoat doesn't give chapters descriptions)

EDIT:

Found it. Control F would be a lot more helpful in this case if Zoat didn't have Eleven in his bloody sig.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  15. Threadmarks: Gammadion (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

14th March
    13:08 GMT -6

Harleen regards me with fascination from the other side of the Belle Reve canteen table.

"Did it wyrk?"

"He spends his nights in absolute terror -and he consented to having an electroencephalograph attached so we can prove it- and wakes up raring to go. His behaviour has improved tremendously… He's asking to see the data we're gathering -which since it's medical data on him he's allowed to- but I don't see any reason not to."

"Except fuh the fact that he's obsessed with feyuh and this ain't gunna help."

"I'm not sure anything will. The various substances he's dosed himself with have altered the structure of his brain. I can't change it back without a 'before' image-. And that's pretty ethically questionable anyway. And so's fiddling around with neurons and hoping for the best."

She nods.

"The Caulder Method."

In the comics I-. Alright, in the one-off appearances Doom Patrol members had in comics I read, Dr Niles Caulder was the leader of a team of people whose superpowers came with adverse physical or psychological handicaps. In the original comics he got them back on their literal and metaphorical feet and led them in the fight against evil. That was retconned later into him having some sort of freak fetish and actually causing all of the events which caused their mutations and injuries, though that definitely wasn't the original intent.

The version here hasn't done any of that yet, though he has written extensively on superhuman psychology. I've read some of his work, and… Though we'd probably treat a lot of our patients in the same sort of way he's.. a bit more into enablement than I am.

"Not.. exactly. I'd like to fix Doctor Crane. I just don't think it's possible."

"What did Melinoë say abowd it awl?"

"I haven't spoken to her yet. If she was annoyed she could contact me. The very fact that Doctor Crane is still having nightmares strongly implies that she's not annoyed about it."

"An' the fact that you ain't havin 'em."

"I'm not actually sure if she can affect me through my wards. But if she couldn't and she was seriously annoyed I'm sure she'd find a way around it."

"How popular you think these things 're actually-"

My ring blinks.

"-gonna be?"

"I'm-" I raise my left hand slightly. "-sorry, but I have to take this."

She nods and shrugs.

"Orange Lantern Illustres, go ahead."

Guy's head appears.

"So are we doin' that whole title thing every time now?"

"You can if you like. I didn't check the caller ID."

He grins.

"Honor Guard Lantern Guy Darrin Gardner reporting in!" He looks thoughtful. "Oh, hey, that's right: ain't you supposed to say yer name when you do this?"

"How many Illustreses do you think we have?"

"We've got two, so…"

"Were you calling me because you're bored, or..?"

He nods, his expression growing more serious.

"Yeah. Y'know where you came through when you showed up in this universe?"

"I'm unlikely to forget."

"I was practicin' scanning fer stuff with my ring, and… Something screwy's goin' on."

"Can you narrow it down?"

"Ah… No." He winces slightly. "There's some kinda microscopic hole-."

I frown. It hasn't been my focus recently, but during my first few months I investigated my emergence point pretty thoroughly. "That wasn't there before."

"And I say microscopic, but if you kinda squint you can just about see the light comin' out right now."

"Is it getting bigger?"

"Oh, yeah. It's still not big, but-."

"Have you called Accomplished-?"

He rolls his eyes.

"What, you gonna try teachin' me how t' suck eggs next? Yeah, Physician an' Mist 're up here, an' Atom an' Bats are too. I didn't wanna freak out over nothin', but…"

"With you momentarily."

I close my left fist, cutting communication. So. Possible portal to Earth Prime opening up. I've got a message buoy ready to go if it actually is one-.

"You doin' okay?"

Harleen's switched from friendly chat mode to counsellor mode immediately.

"Yes. Home isn't my trigger." I slide my chair back and stand. "But this does warrant my personal attention. Excuse me."

"Shuwer. Let me know how it goes."

I raise my right hand to my forehead-

14th March
    19:11 GMT

-and appear in near-Earth space. Ring?

Anomaly located.

I transition closer, looking around for Guy as I do so. He's… On the Watchtower, okay. He was right about the glow. I can see it with my unaided eyes, and-.

Anomaly growing.

The size of a full stop on a page to the size of a penny. To the size of a fifty pence. To the size of an old fifty pence. It's like a hole in the fabric of space, except that it doesn't match any of the dozen or so phenomena I know of that can look like that. It's red with darker patches, though I can't tell whether it's emitting the light itself or something on the other side is.

Fifty pence to hub cap and I'm backing up and armouring up.

"Orange Lantern Illustres to Justice League, I didn’t do-"

Hub cap to sunshade.

"-anything. Should I retreat or attempt to contain?"

Sunshade to-. No, that's.. it, it's not growing-.

Something shoots out, the aperture wobbling and shrinking back in on itself. The object-. Woman, a blonde woman in a figure-hugging grey costume, which for-

I put an environmental shield around her.

-some reason covers her arms but leaves her legs bare. Her chest emblem is a red lightning bolt on a black triangle. Kryptonian? No, part kryptonian, badly burned and emitting a dozen different types of exotic radiation. Ring, drain.

Compliance.

"One injured human/kryptonian hybrid. Can I take her to the Fortress?"

"Supes says 'go for it'."

"On my way now."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Before anyone else gets it in:
    Specifically, Overgirl of Earth-10, where Nazis won World War II, and Superman is Overman.
    (And I was just watching Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. Commentary later.)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  18. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Ethically.

19. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Hm? Is this a version of Supergirl from the obligatory Nazi parallel?

EDIT: Darn, Ninja'd

20. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ooo Nazis this is going to be fun. Any Jewish heros on the league? I hope so that will be a fun conversation

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh god, Harleen's accent is thicker than maple syrup today. I can feel the English language's pain...

YEah, messing with people's brains makes for some iffy territory...

So, he'd allow the Freaks to dress in costumes, though not allow them weapons?

And presumably she's got no interest in him beyond the professinal, I hope...

You'd be surprised, I bet. There are a lot of people who'd probably try it at least once, because some people love being afraid. How many would try it again after that? Well...

Haha. The joy of always being on call...

Ah, what's Guy need this time?

"Really, are we doing that now?" Ah, good-natured ribbing.

Hey, it's Guy. He might well have.

"Define 'screwy'..."

... Okay, that qualifies as 'screwy'. Also 'concerning'...

Uh-oh. It just went from 'concerning' to 'alarming'...

Should we call in Hinon?

Extra-dimensional breaches are always worrying...

And she sees the obvious possibility...

I suspect it'll sound like a hollywood Summer blockbuster...

Well, time to commit Science! upon this anomaly...

Oh, dear, are we going to see the Crisis of Infinite Pauls already?

Perfectly sensible. I would be observing from the other side... of the Moon.

Something or someone is opening a door...

Navigating the Bleed without a shiftship? Gutsy and painful...

And keep her secured, too. Amazed he didn't recognise her.

Seriously, remember to keep her safely contained.

And the meat of the episode begins. Things are going to get funky. Let's hope it's not going to get too messy.

Corrections:
    But if she couldn't...

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When i asked if it was viking related i thought of Krieger. i really should have asked if it was nazi related.

Gilhelmi and DrThoth like this.
  24. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Doctor Mist is a black dude. Physician is Chinese.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He's surpisingly calm for someone emerging from the same spot he did.

For a moment I really thought we would get another SI and this would become a collaboration fic.

26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Oh. That's neat. Earth 10 had some interesting shit. Shame they kind of swept it under the rug with some really fucking lame cop outs.

She'll probably react pretty poorly to Mist, but she might do okay with Physician. Then again, she's well beyond a "normal" Nazi. She's a comic book Nazi.

Guess we should expect Nazi Superman, too. Though I'd be genuinely surprised if this went anywhere beyond, "lol, gold kryptonite spam".

27. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Wait a minute... she'd only fallen though in Final Crisis, before. Is this a precursor to the Crisis of Infinite Pauls?

28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The Nazi's classified the Japanese and maybe Tibetans as Aryan peoples, so it might not be as much of a problem as you think depending on what the current political situation of her Earth is.

29. 1moleman

1moleman Know what you're doing yet?

Oh no.... the horrible Harleen accent spelling is back. its unbelievably immersion breaking when you need to read a sentence multiple times to try figure out what this character is mumbling, it rendered the last chapter's irrelevant. Also I'm sad that Melinoe wasn't even present, shes actually interesting and Crane is such a minor side note that I had to google the name to realise who it even was (Batman Begins was long ago).

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If kryptonite works diffrently based on what universe the kryptonian came from it may not work on Overman or any earth 10 kryptonians

Cuchulin likes this.