1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skittering Hollow (Bleach/Worm)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Planeshunter, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Planeshunter

Planeshunter [Verified Slimegirl Whisperer]

Edited and apologies, it's not a word I usually avoid and didn't quite realize how that sounded in context. Will do my best to keep it in mind in the future, I'm not here to offend sensibilities.

Demetric likes this.
  2. MysticReaper

MysticReaper Getting out there.

[X][Plan] Hide.

3. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

[X][Plan] Hide.

My Disparo Demora is white and the trees are white maybe if I cocoon myself close to the trunk of a tree I won't be seen

4. Planeshunter

Alright ladies and gents, votes are now closed!

The winner, by a difference of three votes is:

[x][Plan] Hide

You know? It's not that often the option I would vote for actually wins...

Jubjub3000 and Megagulp like this.
  5. Jubjub3000

Jubjub3000 Versed in the lewd.

But how are we going to hide?

I vote we should hide in plain sight by pretending to be a market vendor!

6. Threadmarks: Larva 1.13 - It's not always about me
    Planeshunter

Shorter than planned this time. Halfway into writing this I realized I was taking a somewhat important choice by myself, and decided to cut the update short and let you guys vote instead.

[x][Plan] Hide

Alright, calm down. I got this.

Huge-ass ominous presences like this one don’t usually notice little things like…you know, me. Heck, I pretty much had to poke the Skull-thing in the eye before it deigned to acknowledge my presence. My best bet is to hide and dodge the problem. There’s no law stating I have to get myself into trouble at every chance.

But it is enough to stick close to a tree to go unnoticed? Maybe I should do something else? For a moment, a vivid image of myself wearing a poncho, a mexican hat and a fake mustache while pretending to man a fabric stall comes to mind. I soon return to reality with a shudder. That was a disturbing thought.

In the end, the solution was right before my eyes. And with that I mean the trees are right before my eyes. And white. Like my Disparo Demora. It’s just a matter of moments to craft myself a small but cozy Home, stuck to a nook in the branches, and built the right way for me to peek outside unnoticed.

Like that, there’s nothing left but to wait with bated breath and… oh, wait, I don’t breathe. Just to wait and try very hard not to spontaneously grow a heart so the stress can’t give me a heart attack.

Now that I can’t move and all my senses are on the presence, I’m able to close in on it a bit better. At the speed it’s moving, I’d say it’ll catch up in a couple of minutes.

One minute…

Thirtyse… HOLYSHIT!!

I totally didn’t almost scream like a little girl. There’s no proof and I didn’t do it anyway, so how would you even go about figuring out whatever it was I nearly did or did not? As I said, there’s no proof! So I very maturely kept a total calm that at no point was broken or nearly broken or was even hinted at being close to breaking when a humanoid figure landed in a branch not three feet away from my hiding spot.

No matter what others say.

The figure barely stopped for enough to cast a swift glance around before jumping away again, but it was enough for me to catch a good eyeful. The first thing I notice is the bone mask, uncomfortably similar to the one worn by the skull-thing. The next is the assortment of various other masks adorning its pelt cloak. Then I catch finer details like the black clothes under the cloak and the japanese sword it wielded.

… Well, no, I’m totally lying. The first thing I notice is the thing’s presence. Whatever that was, it felt totally different from other Hollows I’ve encountered so far. Not so much a matter of power, even if it did feel powerful, but of quality. It felt… different. I wonder…

And that’s when the presence arrived and I died of a heart attack.

Oh wait, I’m still alive (undead? whatever). I mean I felt like dying. Because it caught me by surprise. Because I was focused on the first thing. Like I shouldn’t have. Because I don’t seem to learn. Fortunately for my blood pressure, the presence didn’t take to the branches, preferring to travel on the ground like pretty much every idiot in Hueco Mundo.

“Come on, pussies!” The presence, who now that I can see looks like a ninja turtle. If the ninja turtles wore painted face masks, or had purple skin, or a hole in their chests, or reached eight feet in height. And had an army of hungry spirits. “The shinigami can’t run forever, today we’ll finally get him!”

… Wait what? Didn’t Anansi mention the shinigami back then? Does that mean the thing with the sword wasn’t a Hollow?

That would explain why their presence felt different but man, a shinigami… a bona fide god of death! And those Hollows are hunting it like game! Is that an indicator of how strong I can get myself? Being able to chase down literal gods with utter confidence in my chances? Not too shabby.

… Actually, it’s a bit scary.

Whatever, the presence has retreated and it’s time to make my own exit. I’m tentatively classing it as a Vasto Lorde, because, you know, hunting down gods. Man I still can’t wrap my head around that...

With a last look the way they disappeared towards, I prepare my next swing.

Spider-bug, Spider-bug~!! Does everything that…

Damnit.

Can I just… leave like that? That shinigami fella is pretty much screwed.

Then again, he has something after him so far above my weight class it’s not even worth measuring it. And I know nothing about their culture. Even if I miraculously managed to save their skin, they might just turn around and stab me in the back.

On one hand, I owe them nothing, and I have pretty much zero chance of being of any help.

On the other, can I just turn my back to a stranger who needs help?

I’d like to say yes, that I can very much avoid sticking my nose into someone else’s business. Especially if their business is a hornet nest.

But…

This is stupid, you are stupid, your face is stupid and your plans are stupid. Why are you even considering it?

Leave.
    Nothing to see here. Just… leave. Leave and live to fight another day. Preferably someone else. You’re in no hurry to cross paths again with a fucking god eater.

Assist Retreat. You can’t just leave behind someone in need. You’ll do your best to catch up and cook up a distraction to help the shinigami escape. Even if you somehow manage, there’s a good chance you’ll have to split, and you might never see them again.

Assist Fight. You can’t just leave behind someone in need. You’ll do your best to catch up and help the shinigami fight off the scary hollows. If all the stars align and you both somehow survive, there’s a good chance you’ll then end up face to face with him. That means socializing.

[X][Choice] Leave.
    [X][Choice] Assist Retreat.
    [X][Choice] Assist Fight.

-Oblivion Compensation! You lose 3605 EE!! (Luz Lunar Lv5 prevented the loss of 17440 EE)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. Arbitbit39

Arbitbit39 I trust you know where the happy button is?

this gonna turn into a dejavu moment

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    !Renzie0 and Otto von Saurion like this.
  8. Jubjub3000

Jubjub3000 Versed in the lewd.

[X][Choice] Assist fight.

Might as well! Maybe in the future you could become that shinigamis shoulder loli?

!Renzie0 and victor janus like this.
  9. Demetric

Demetric Know what you're doing yet?

It wouldn’t be the first time she recklessly helped someone.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  10. Megagulp

Megagulp Getting sticky.

11. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

Luna-chan is the one true waifu

Taylor jumps in to fight group of villains after overhearing them planing to hunt down and kill someone? It is means to be, tho If one of them breathes fire am calling shenanigans

12. Rock_on_5002

Rock_on_5002 Making the rounds.

[X][Choice] Assist Fight

This is the Queen of Escalation who took on even Leviathan only a few weeks into her career with only the ability to control bugs and an iron will, even if she ended up with a broken spine she still stabbed him up the ass with Armsmasters nanothorn halberd to save people, she's not gonna turn away from helping someone even against impossible odds.

Otto von Saurion and Jubjub3000 like this.
  13. LokKi

LokKi Why so serious?

14. MysticReaper

15. globalwarmth

globalwarmth ruining the weather.

16. Phasehand

Phasehand Getting sticky.

[X][Choice] Assist Fight

17. Laturse

Laturse It's all so hazy....

18. HammeredApple

HammeredApple Not a pile of applesauce.

Look at it this way: If we help kill the hollows chasing the Shinigami, then we can have all their delicious cores!

19. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

20. werdzerg13

werdzerg13 Versed in the lewd.

21. Drakon200

Drakon200 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Write in : let them fight and then ambush the weakened party, if no weakened party, then pick up the leftovers.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  22. Planeshunter

Alright ladies and gents, votes are now closed!

This time's winner is...

[X][Plan] Assist Fight.

Heads up tho, next chapter will take a bit for a number or reasons. On the good side, I should be back at home sweet home with my PC by then, so hey! Good news! For me...

23. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Hopefully this crazy Shinigami dude doesn't gut us once we help him.

I give it 70/30 odds.

victor janus likes this.
  24. Threadmarks: Larva 1.14 - But I make it about me anyway.
    Planeshunter

… I can’t.

I can’t just turn around saying that’s not my problem.

Curse my bleeding heart.

Yes, I know they’re faster than me. I’m in fact aware I’ll only reach them once they’ve stopped. That means I can’t lay traps, and I’ll catch them either trading taunts or already engaged. My options are somewhat limited, since my best tool is still Disparo Demora, and it loses a lot of versatility when I can’t pre-arrange the field to my advantage.

It all depends on the situation, of course, but I’ll probably have to bite my nails (that I don’t have) and wait for a good chance to reveal myself with an opening salvo of Punto Veneno, aiming to disrupt or incapacitate as many as possible and then… Well if the shinigami refuses to work with me I’m turning and leaving. My bleeding heart isn’t going to bleed out for ungrateful gods.

But assuming he does, I guess I’ll kinda watch his back and take pot-shots at easy targets, I guess. He’s still the strongest of the two. Beyond that… incapacitate, run interference and be a veritable pest. It’ll work out, somehow.

No, I’ll make it work.

That’s when I realize their presences have stopped. Which is kinda fortunate, because busy as I was psyching myself up, the very real possibility of the whole fight outrunning me and getting out of range never crossed my mind. Man that would’ve been embarrassing...

Not the case though, so no point in dwelling on it. Let’s sneak closer and get a good picture of the situation…

“—at? Nothing to say, shinigami? Or maybe you know it’s futile to try and beg for your life?” Oh, dear. He’s monologuing. The Vasto Lorde is monologuing like a two-bit cartoon villain! “You’ve stained Hueco Mundo with your presence for long enough. Today is the day you die!!”

Should I lose faith in the Hollow race after all? Apparently idiocy isn’t healed even at the peak of our evolution… On the other hand this is the perfect opening. I get a last thread in place and fly over the group from behind in a graceful arch. Punto Veneno!!

Oh, yeah. Now to deliver my badass one-liner and join the fight. Did I mention I can now shoot needles of poisonous hair? It’s not only gorgeous, but also… wait.

… did I just…

… Hit them all with my needles?

… maybe… nope.

And that one… oh, nope.

That one is already foaming through all the sockets on its mask, gross…

Oh, right! My one liner!!

“Looks like you’re in a bit of a pickle, shinigami.”

A deadly silence falls on place. Even the goons dying messily due to hair poisoning in the background seem to quiet down. I resist the urge to facepalm, only a tumbleweed is missing. Seriously, ‘in a bit of a pickle’? Way to ruin your presentation, me!

“If you’re quite done staring...” Ugh I’m doing it again! Why can’t I speak cooly? “I can always leave if my presence is unwelcome?”

“You… you would side with a shinigami against the Guardian of the Forest and your fellow Hollow?” While the death god seems to be having trouble processing the situation, the ninja turtle catches up quickly. As expected of a Vasto Lorde. “If regain your sanity and join us right now I’ll consider not eating you whole, worm!”

My brows lower on a frown, which is quite a feat, considering my face is a solid bone mask. Oh, you didn’t just call me that. One of the small fry rushes at me, with some nonsensical yell about something or another. I’m not paying attention. Before he knows what’s going on, it gets a bucketful of sticky threads on its ugly mug and a double dose of poisonous stings as he trips and falls.

“I am a caterpillar” I’m ticked off, but I don’t want to scare away my still potential ally. So I do my best to control my voice and not explode in undignified yells. “Don’t call me worm again.”

As I Chupavidas the shit out of the incapacitated hollow at my feet, the shinigami’s brain finally reaches a decision and he retakes his position against the ‘Guardian’ and its gang.

“Right… A caterpillar hollow wants to help me out” He finally speaks for the first time, an ominous voice filled with strange echoes “It’s not even the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. Let’s do this.”

“I’ll cover your back against the small fry, shinigami, but I’ll have to leave the Guardian for you, he’s above my current abilities.” In other words, he scares the living shit out of me, please pull your weight and be a good meat shield so hopefully there’s still a brave caterpillar you can feel grateful towards when we’re done with this mess.

“I’ll be counting on you then, Hollow!”

With a battlecry that was mirrored by the entire opposite side, the shinigami charges into the fray. Man we’re so screwed…

To my surprise, the battle is much more even than anticipated. The Guardian is strong but then again, so is the shinigami. I would say the balance of power slightly tilts on the shinigami’s favor, actually. Maybe it wasn’t so much the Vasto Lorde was confident on his individual chances against a god, but on its many minions giving it openings to exploit...

Heh.

He wasn’t counting on the brave caterpillar then. I… can honestly say I’m on fire. Whenever somebody tries to get a cheap shot at the shinigami, they find a web, a tripwire or a poisonous mane on their way and yet, the shinigami itself seems to always have free way.

That’s much more complicated than it sounds, by the way. It’s a mix of me predicting the movements of the main fighters and leaving a path open, and a hasty cut-out job when they move in an unexpected way. At the speeds they move, I have the work cut for myself.

Honestly, this is quite the workout and there’s not that much moonlight down here for me to refill my batteries. Only a judicious abuse of Chupavidas in a wide area allows me to keep up. I’ve also discovered shinigami essence is stupidly tasty.

… N- not that I’m planning on turning on him or anything! It’s just something I’ve noticed, good to know for future consideration. It also earned me a dirty look from him at some point, but really. It’s hurting the enemy way more than it’s hurting him, and I have no other way to remain relevant, he’ll have to suck it up.

I would like to say l lost myself on the frenzy of the fight, and fell into some sort of trance where I didn’t notice the passage of time, but that’s not what happened. I was painfully aware of every second of combat. Because it was painful.

The Hollow swarm gave as good as it took, not letting up for a moment. I honestly couldn’t tell if they fell to my attacks or just retreated to let the next one take a shot at us, because I had no time to focus on anything that wasn’t an immediate threat.

Minutes piled up, and then hours, as I kept the tide at bay. Always mindful of my partner, always fearing the next surprise strike would come from somewhere I could not stop, and our little formation would collapse.

Every fiber of my being was screaming at me to stop, to take a break, to slow down. But I didn't, I couldn’t afford to. I could only steel my resolve and keep fighting, praying all the whole my Chupavias was enough to keep me in the fight until the end.

Seriously why the hell did I get into this mess in the first place? Am I a masochist? Is that it? Do I get off pain?

… actually, don’t answer that.

Finally, finally, the fight ended. Surprisingly enough, it was me who ran out of opponents before the two big shots broke their stalemate. For a moment, not noticing there wasn’t any new attack coming, I almost tripped on myself when I jumped to cover the shinigami’s blind spot only for there to be nothing to stop.

Then, feeling a bit silly, I made some distance and observed the match.

They were… wow. There wasn't any other way to describe it, just wow.

One thing was being aware of the shinigami’s movements to keep my threads for interfering with him, a very different thing to have the leisure to examine the way the two of them move all over the place at supersonic speeds, sharp tail clashing with sword again and again as both of them fail to find leverage for a decisive strike.

Hmm… I’ve gotten a lot of practice with Chupavidas right now. Wonder if I’d be able to focus it on a single target…

It’s not some miraculous epiphany where I suddenly figure out a mechanic I didn’t understand or something like that but, little by little, having resource-rich targets to practice with, I’m somehow able to gradually focus my hunger into the Guardian, until finally, all the effort that was being wasted all around me concentrates on it.

And he notices, judging by the hateful look he sends my way.

I can only wave at that, feeling really smug when the distraction gives the shinigami the opening he needs to chop first its annoying tail and, in quick succession, its right arm. Unfortunately, before the shinigami can finish it off, the Guardian counters with a spin kick, and takes advantage of the distance to leap away. Before retreating, he fixes a last glare on me.

“I’ll find you again, worm, and you’ll live to regret this!”

And with that, the fight is over. I would collapse in relief, truly would. But one thing is having a temporary truce with a literal death god and a different one to be alone with him afterwards, the both of you still up to the gills in adrenaline.

“So… that happened” I break the silence a bit lamely, while turning to face him. Only to find the pointy end of his sword at your face. A hundred different scenarios cross my mind as while thinking about how to not get skewered, but in the end, talking still seems like the best option. “Now, ever heard of something called gratitude?”

“You were draining me during the fight, Hollow.” He growls “Don’t think I didn’t notice.”

“I was draining everything, it’s not like I can control it...” Only, I can now, I realize mid-sentence, so I have to correct myself “In the middle of a fight.”

“Hmpf” He doesn’t seem overly impressed with your excuse, but he sheathed his blade, so I count it as a win. “I suppose I do owe you for this. Make no mistake though, Hollow and Shinigami are natural enemies. If we meet again, we’ll fight.”

And with that, he blurs away. Shit, you still get the jitters when you see him moving at max speed.

“And that was that, I guess.” I kick a pebble on the ground, suddenly feeling grumpy. “Save someone’s life, would you? Let’s see how grateful they are...”

Then I brighten right back up. This fight was a real feast after all, and there’s still a last price to be had.

I’m not stupid you know? Sure, sometimes my brain goes to strange places, and I might overlook the obvious from time to time, but I’m still kinda good at planning ahead when I have an inkling what’s going on for once. So I didn’t just Chupavidas the Guardian from a random direction.

No, I had ulterior motives.

It was a long shot, sure, but it was worth trying to corral it into a particular direction… and he ran straight towards my trap. So, now that the shinigami left, it’s only a matter of getting there and…

And…

And…

Stare at a Guardian-shaped hole on my trap.

Damn, my threads could hold back the Skull-thing, and they’ve only gotten sturdier ever since. I even secured the trees so they wouldn’t get dragged along like it happened back then. It didn’t matter, because apparently the Guardian tore through my best threads without even stopping.

… As expected of a Vasto Lorde.

Damn, I need more training.

Since you did such a good job the shinigami could focus exclusively on the Guardian, you managed to munch the whole entourage in the meantime, earning a bullshit amount of EE (7889850)!!
    Power Level UP! You’re now level 46/59!!
    Your Powers have improved!
    -Due to heavy usage, Disparo Demora has leveled up! Disparo Demora is now Lv. 10/10!!
    --Disparo Demora Branches!
    --You’ve Learned Disparo Demora (Mix&Match)
    --You’ve Learned Disparo Demora (Multishot)
    --You’ve Learned Disparo Demora (Thread Control)
    -Due to heavy usage, Punto Veneno is now Lv. 9!!
    -Due to heavy usage, Chupavidas is now Lv. 8!!
    --You can now focus your Chupavidas on individual targets!
    Oblivion Compensation! You lose 23100 EE!! (Luz Lunar Lv5 prevented the loss of 17440 EE)
    -Luz Lunar is now Lv. 5-(10%) It passively grows by 5% per Oblivion Compensation instance.

Yeah... another job well done. If youre quite done pulling impossible wins out of your ass, maybe you could plan your next move. And plan carefully, something tells you things aren't going to remain like this for much longer...

[x][Hunt] Actively.
    [x][Hunt] Passively.
    [x][Hunt] Trap.
    [x][Hunt] Hide.

[x][Travel] End of the World.
    [x][Travel] Explore the Forest.
    -[x][Forest] Visit Anansi.
    --[x][Anansi] Accept the Deal.
    --[x][Anansi] Negotiate a new Deal.
    --[x][Anansi] Hunt down.
    [x][Travel] Take a break.
    -[x][Break] Nest in the Skull-things stronghold.
    [x][Travel] Other.

[x][Train] Disparo Demora.
    -[x][DD] Mix&Match You need another power at level MAX to train this.
    -[x][DD] Multishot.
    -[x][DD] Thread Control.
    [x][Train] Chupavidas.
    [x][Train] Punto Veneno.
    [x][Train] Luz Lunar.
    [x][Train] Take a break.

Guys, I’ll be honest with you. There was a 50/50 chance you were incapable of even catching up to the hollows in the first place, they were faster than you after all. You didn’t just do that. Your rolls were such bullshit I can hardly believe it. Only one roll was bad, and by that point I was just resolving the Guardian’s retreat so… that happened. I’m a bit pissed off cuz was expecting things to go badly and had a lot of plans for what to do with the story if things derailed, but yeah. Considering our brave caterpillar seems to be the badass cousin of the screamapillar, I guess it’s just a matter of time ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  25. Minion #Q

Minion #Q Well worn.

I don't know if I had found this earlier I would have probably voted to stay weak and accept the knowledge from the trickster god and then unless it was a trap train Luz Lunar until we didn't lose any energy to maintaining our existence Before slowly advancing with a skill focus and passive growth.

having found the quest now we have to get strong fast.

!Renzie0 and Planeshunter like this.
  26. MysticReaper

[x][Hunt] Actively.
    [x][Travel] Explore the Forest.
    [x][Train] Punto Veneno.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  27. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

[x][Hunt] Trap.
    -[x] Make traps with Disparo Demora and Thread Control, Trigger them using Thread Control and practice Chupavidas on the trapped targets, after each meal try to practice Luz Lunar on top of the trees
    [x] Fortify the Stronghold
    -[x] You made enemies and they might hunt you down, spend some time laying traps all over the Skull-Thing Stronghold so you have a position to go back to if you are desperate or severely injured.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  28. globalwarmth

globalwarmth ruining the weather.

[x][Hunt] Trap.
    [x][Train] Luz Lunar.

29. Fonteius

Fonteius [Empty Title]

Thanks for the chapter.

At this rate it is starting to become kinda ridiculous that Taylor didn't evolve in some way, unless the entire Prologue was her becoming an Adjuchas, then she is a strange one, her power overwhelms opponents on the level of Adjuchas with her being the lowest ranked Hollow evolution (the ones Ichigo first fought against). But she also doesn't have any of the traits of even the weakest Adjuchas, she doesn't have any instinctive use of Cero, Hierro, Regeneration, or Garganta.

Her original skills are powerful, and are really well done considering most Hollows Skills take a theme (usually their animal species) and develop from there. But still, I would hope we can get a reference for her level of evolution, since the start implies she became the main soul of an Adjuchas, but as explained she doesn't even remember the use of Cero and even Gillian can do it, so the "new" Taylor should have some instinctive memories of the skill.

Milkers99 likes this.
  30. Planeshunter

There are some clues hidden along, but I'm honestly unsure how obscure they'll be to someone else. There's also a chance I messed something up in the lore and we're in a slight AU.

Actually, we are in a slight AU, the 'End of the World' was supposed to be a canon reference, only noticed the place comes from another fanfic once I tried to find it in the wiki. There's a couple of other original things and concepts around I'm pretty sure don't conflict with canon, but might be wrong about.

Anyway, regarding our brave caterpillar, answers should be forthcoming as the story progresses.

Fonteius and Milkers99 like this.