1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Isn’t his wife black?

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Why is it wrong to spell your name Zoaut instead of Zoat? Because whoever filled out the official paperwork wrote it down that way

Names aren't subject to spelling or grammar rules. The way it is is the way it is. And even if it wasn't, unless there was only one cattle rancher in the association and it was his association exclusively, you still had the apostrophe in the wrong place.

...oooook.

Didn't know the real world Brazilian Cattle Ranchers Association was a Rule 8 issue, considering I had never even heard of them before now.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th March
    11:02 GMT -5

Raquel and I fly upwards towards the top of Mount Justice.

"I'm a.. little surprised that you wanted to join me on this one."

Raquel lands a moment before me and takes a quick peek inside the grove to see if Euanthe is in residence before turning back to me.

"Ah ain't gunna let the fact that I'm pissed at you get in the way of a mission."

"Right, but, with the greatest respect-" I walk past her into the grove, taking a moment to admire the unseasonal growth which blocks out both sight and sound of the town below. "-your skill set isn't essential to the mission. You could have taken one of the others."

"You didn't have to accept me."

"I already had an analyst and a magic-user. I didn't need to make room for anyone else." Though since this will almost certainly be below my level… "I'm perfectly happy to let you take the lead in combat if you like."

She frowns in curiosity. "Why?"

"You need the experience more than I do."

"Gee, thanks."

"I'll be happy to take you to Vega next time I visit if you want to prove me wrong."

"The place with three different empires who are worse than the Nazis."

"Not any more. But I could see that you wanted to take the Africa mission." Her right hand goes to her ward. "I can do facial analysis as well. It's not as if I'm going to be offended if you deny me your company."

"Okay, two reasons. This whole thing with Nazigirl got me thinking about indigenous rights. That's what this is about, right?"

"Could be. Could be a lot of things. I'd be surprised if it had nothing to do with that. Though it might just be that locals wanted to cut down the forest for grazing instead."

"So that's why I wanna go. I wanna see what that looks like in places where it's still happening, not just where it happened hundreds of years ago."

I nod. "Okay. What's the other reason?"

"You're gonna take Nazigirl, aren't you."

"I… Was planning on asking her if Superman could spare her from Metropolis."

"So there we go. Ah'm gonna be right there. If she mouths off, I'll see it. And if she doesn't…" She shrugs sarcastically. "Then maybe ah've got her all wrong."

"I think it's a little early to expect any major behavioural changes, but I appreciate that you're at least giving her the rope with which to hang herself. Euanthe?!"

"And Treegirl."

"Treewoman. Not that she calls herself that. I'm not sure how old she is, but the closest I got to a straight answer suggests at least three thousand."

"'cause she remembers the Amazons arriving on Themyscira."

I nod. "Just so, well spotted. Euanth-."

The leaves-. I step back as I realise that they've formed a face.

"I didn't know you could do that."

The face sort of smiles, then splits in two as Euanthe emerges from the middle. She isn't in full spiky-bane-of-demons mode, but the soft bark-like faux-clothing she used to wear has been replaced by thicker antediluvian armour.

"Pavlos. Have you found another demon for me to destroy utterly, to burn their leaves and choke the life from root and stem?"

"Not this time, I'm afraid. I've got a mission in the Amazon rainforest and I'd appreciate your help."

"Amazon."

"South of here, below where the land narrows. Lots of trees, but fewer than there used to be."

She looks sad, staring at nothing I can discern. "There are fewer trees than there used to be everywhere."

"We could just show her a map."

"Dryads aren't good with spatial directions. Land doesn't register with them in the way that plants do. Euanthe, if I touch a plant when I get there, can you track me that way?"

"No. Plant senses-" She holds her arms up to her chest and strokes the armour of her right forearm with her bare left hand. "-are not so acute as mammal senses."

"How about if I take control of one of the local plan-?"

And.. now I'm enveloped in… Not vines. Bark. Um.

"No." Euanthe leans forward to glare at my face, which is the one part of my body still exposed to the outside. "Do not do it."

"I'm still not clear why you find it so upsetting."

"I make plants work like plants doing what I want. You make plants work like animals doing what you want. It is not the same."

I…

Dimly remember something like that happening in Swamp Thing. He accidentally… Or was it Tefé? They accidentally reformatted a portion of the Green into a plant-based city, and Swamp Thing minus Alec Holland tore it apart. I'm not exactly sure what the problem with that is, but then… I suppose… I'm not a plant.

Now I'm.. slightly curious what would happen if I touched Euanthe like that. She has far more control than I do; she could prevent any unpleasant side effects…

"Could you give me a sprout or something that you could track?"

"You will not touch it with your red green-touch?"

"Not if you don’t want me to."

She blinks twice then steps back as the bark around me decays into mulch, with the exception of a single fragment which lands in her outstretched right hand and is rapidly transmuted into a seed pod. She holds it up to her face to study it intensely, then passes it over to me.

"Plant this in good soil and provide it with water, and I will attend to you."

Dryads don't have the best sense of time either, but she'll probably show up some time that day at least.

"Thank you, will do. How's Doctor Isley getting along?"

Euanthe smiles. "She will make a good druid. She earnestly wishes to grow in the green, not for red growth but for the wonder of it. And her connection is pure, not twisted as the one her false teacher made."

"Glad to hear it." I hold the seed up. "I'll seed you when we arrive."

"Yes."

I nod politely, then lead Raquel out of the grove.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Eros!Episode with Euanthe when, Paul?

5. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Bum-bum tish.

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

After the one with Paula?

7. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Darn it! Beat me to it... :(

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

How professional of her. Good to see their disagreement about Overgirl isn't getting in the way of work.

Heh, letting the lowbies handle the gray mobs. While he keeps them from dying, as the healer, I expect.

Blunt as ever, I see. His diplomatic skills have definitely taken a dive.

I honestly figure she could have swung for either mission, really. Both hit hot buttons for her.

Or some local god has taken exception to that plan. I'm not remembering anything on that front. Unless it's that pre-Aztec warrior from the Ancient League days, Tekumak.

It's Overgirl, isn't it?

Thought so. She really doesn't want to miss out on any chance to poke her, does she?

And watch Overgirl play nice with the 'subhumans' because anything else would be conduct unbefitting a member of the New Statesmen...

Good logic. She's likely older though. Not that any gentleman should be asking a lady's age.

Oh, my. She's been learning some tricks.

Eager, isn't she? And who knows, it might well be some kind of local demon...

Because of course she's not going to know the modern name.

Humans gonna human.

Interesting to consider how her senses vary from a human's... Different visual range, certainly. Likely better sense of touch and hearing, but less taste and maybe smell. And she's probably got more exotic senses related to plant life around her.

I don't think she likes that suggestion, OL...

Oooh. I doubt the plants 'enjoy' being forced to grow the way he does it...

Likely because it looked like the plants were being made to ...ape... human behavious, the way some of them were walking around...

Please don't experiment, OL. She's already made it clear that's not cool. You might need to grow your body back again.

At least he's smart enough to drop the idea. Remote summoning will be handy, but be careful she doesn't loose her temper at the local farmers...

Probably something about the growth of the seed. I bet it requires the sprout to break the surface or similar...

Good to hear Pamela's learning a better way to advance the Green. Rather than eco-terrorism...

Either a fortuitous typo, or an intentional pun. I bet Raquel calls him out on it off-screen.

And the Amazon mission's squad is coming along nicely. Hopefully it turns out to be something mundane, but knowing OL's luck, hilarity will ensue.

Corrections
    She isn't in full spiky-bane-of-demons mode...

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh, right. Paul can control plant life, totally forgot about that...

Also, yay Euanthe! It's always interesting to see characters with such alien mindsets.

11. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

Speaking of that, anyone remember when he did?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yup! Hopefully they reverse a little of the Amazon's deforestation while there as there is quite a bit of area that could be replanted with out really offending any one who isn't basically a Captain Planet Villain.

13. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, the last time he used it was against Lantern Kilowog to defeat him in a spar by having the plants in his body grow, he learned it from Lantern Medphyll.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Kilowog's gut... symbiotes? He had green stuff in his belly that Paul made grow out of his belly as part of a spar. All things strive.

Man, the Raquel-Overgirl interactions are going to take some weird turns with Euanthe in the mix.

Also, I suspect Euanthe's presence will somehow be detrimental to the operation.

15. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Red green touche? Shouldn't that be his orange touch? And what did she mean by a growing for red when she was talking out poison ivy?

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Plant material takes a lot longer to digest than meat, so pretty much everyone with a relatively balanced diet has some green stuff in their stomach.

The Green is all about flora and The Red is all about Fauna. His red-green touch is basically using animal methods to control plants.

17. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

She wasn't talking about the emotional spectrum. Swamp thing uses the green and has nothing to do with the light of will.

18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

From Raquel’s perspective did Euanthe just threaten to cut off Paul’s head? When she did the bark-covering-face move, specifically. I think everyone present knew a fight wasn’t likely...but that sort of implication seems like a good way to get Euanthe’s attitude through to the stubborn Red-based human (Paul).

19. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Looking forward to Raquel making things worse.

Also looking forward to whatever surprise is waiting for them that will make Euanthe and Overgirl useful to have brought along.

Simonbob likes this.
  20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

No, no, you're missing the key foreshadowing: OL quoted Terry Pratchett earlier.

"Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because--what with trolls and dwarfs and so on--speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green."

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

She reminds me of the Black Orchid series, I found the nymph cosmology interesting in that series.

Before humanity arose, angels and demons strode the earth, leaving marks in which the Earth Goddess could gaze into the worlds of her sisters.

Worlds where life flows as free as water. Worlds of green growing things. Worlds of life that was as strong and cold as stone.

The Earth Goddess had her Elementals, her guardians.

She decided she also wanted shepherds.

So she took those cribbed notes from those alternate Earths and fashioned daughters. Nymphs of Trees and flowers. Nymphs of rivers and oceans. Nymphs of mountains. Humanity of the Green. Humanity of the Clear. Humanity of the Meld.

Preservers of their respective elements not with brute force, but by teaching and guiding humanity.

I thought it was interesting, anyway.

22. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, that does suck.

It'd be like finding yourself many years from now and see vast parts of human civilization/population just gone. An emptiness that so much of what you knew would never return to the way you used to know it if at all.

23. Umbrella_merc

Umbrella_merc Know what you're doing yet?

Lsst time OL gave her her wood now he's seeding her and they haven't even been on a proper date yet. Only QQ can handle such depravity.

24. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

That "to" shouldn't be there... unless this is an intentional case of Realistic Diction Is Unrealistic

25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's... not strictly true. At full pedantry levels, yes, the argument is that "ranchers" is plural and therefore the possessive should also be plural. But it's also valid to consider it a form of synecdoche -- consider phrases like "the common man" where you refer to the singular, but it's a generic singular that could apply to anyone in the category. "An association for (the / any) cattle rancher" could be sensibly expressed as "cattle rancher's association."

I... think he was being facetious.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Grayven will be in Equestria when?

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Next episode. And the one after that.

28. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Invisi-speech Alert

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Can't wait to see his cutie mark:D

Bramble Thorn and Alexandercctv like this.
  30. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

russellmopar and Bramble Thorn like this.