1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

====> Your point.

How many fucks I give about it = 0

You're arguing for me to do something I'm never going to do, and care about something I'm never going to care about.

Been a Nazi. Also thrown out some disgusting shit. Red sunlight cell at the least.

You know, if another Joker wandered in from another Earth, I'd ice him too. Wouldn't even wait for him to commit a mass murder on earth 16. I know? How do I sleep at night?

Mean's she's a Nazi.

The Nazi kind. Not Neo though. On her planet, she's OG

Grammar Nazi is a pithy internet phrase. Last I checked, no genocide on their behalf.

Absolutely. I'd also attack him on account of being a pope in the first degree. Also, head of a church with a staggering amount of pedophila.

Nope. Sometimes monsters fight monsters.

Feel free to hit the ignore button on me and fuck off from my life forever. If hating actual nazi's is wrong, then I don't ever want to be right.

Also? Blind hate implies no reason. I have plenty of reasons.

As it stands, you turn my stomach.
    All the time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Maxx, there's, well, there's two things you said last page that have issues but having thought it over I think one of them is the core of this disagreement.
    You seem to hold that certain beliefs can be harmful without needing to be acted on, that people can earn death for their opinions.
    The reason we're defending overgirl isn't out of support for Nazis but refusal to live in an Orwellian dystopia where people can be punished for thoughtcrimes.

3. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh, so the world she comes from and has soldiered in for most of her life? You know, the one where her regime and leaders committed mass murder of all those "Subhuman" races?

But I'm sure she's never carried out a single objectionable order. Never done anything wrong. Purest, most innocent little Nazi ever. Oh, and even if she had been crushing subhuman skulls left and right, well....she didn't do it on earth 16 so it's a freebee.

I'm judging her too harshly I'm sure. Let's just let her wander free.

Sucks to all those planets and people OL overthrew and fucked up their entire species because he found them objectionable, and even worse! Not useful.

So lets not lock her up. Let's stick her in situations and see what she does. Because, you know, she might be useful. Or she might kill some poor soul...but I mean fuck that person right? It's worth that risk. Gotta min/max that shit.

Let's play little fucking games instead of keeping her away from anyone she can hurt, and hey, I'll even be fair and say keep her away from anyone who can hurt her, until we can send her back to her nightmare nazi world.

Hopefully no invasion fleet will follow her or anything. Nah...the nazis weren't known for that.

Basically, if you want me to voice any sort of pity or support for a Nazi character, it's literally never going to happen. She could be throwing down with Darkseid, and I'd root for him.

Why?

Darkseid fake. Nazis real.

I'm not even going to bother bringing up all the other shit OL has pulled, people just as bad or worse then her that he hasn't given a chance...because at this point who gives a fuck?

It's not like my opinion has any effect on what has happened, or what will happen, with her.

And you seem to hold that being a member of one of the most vile groups in history is on the same level as "We disagree politically."

If her beliefs are just fine, then so is every other horrid fucking group in this story and I guess OL should keep his nose out of it.

RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  4. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

If you hate it this much, you can like, stop being in the thread until it's done. We'll PM you when it's clear?

5. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Well, yeah. Must say, I didn't think you'd accept the comparison so readily.
    I'm not sure I can meaningfully respond to that. You've been just vague enough that depending on what I assume you're trying to imply, my answer would be somewhere between 'duh' and 'no, absolutely not'
    I haven't slept in over 24 hours so I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure I just said that holding a belief and acting on it were two different things. You may notice I haven't called for you to be locked up or executed? That's because, horrific as your views may be, so far as I'm aware you've only held and voiced those beliefs and while the latter certainly can be unacceptable, it typically isn't and the former is indeed fine.

The issue isn't that your position is baseless but that you go beyond the limits of what's reasonable. The problem with paying evil unto evil is that you're still committing evil and if you're not very discriminate in your targets while lowering yourself to roughly their level, you may well end up the worse evil in the situation.

6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

On a non-Nazi subject..

Zoat, if Saitama of One Punch Man fame hit a kinetic barrier, would it explode? Is there an upper limit for those things?

7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Nam-Ek overloaded Rocket's kinetic barrier during the Rampage episode, so Zoat's version somewhat does at least.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

It would be pretty absurd if there wasn't. Everytime someone with one impacted the earth the entire planet would loose it's kinetic energy.

Darko, Jormuungaand and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th March
    14:44 GMT -3

"…low level." Garth shakes his head. "There was no trace of magic being focused on a particular task. As far as I can tell, the magic systems of this forest are undisturbed."

I nod. I suspected, but it's always worth checking.

"Okay, good work."

Raquel shrugs. "What if they're.. hiding it, or something?"

Garth lets out a mildly pained exhalation. "There are many ways to hide with magic. It's taken me this long to be confident of my answer because I've been using the countermeasures for all of them." His eyes dart to the side for a moment. "The counters I can perform. Countering attempts to directly detect something with magic is simple, but the person casting it will know that they are being countered and therefore roughly where their target is. And any use of magic disrupts the-"

He takes a moment to assess the likely magic-competency of the people he's talking to.

"-background flows, in a way which can be detected later. I don't know this forest well, but I could not detect any significant disruption."

"What if they're just.. really good at hiding?"

"Then you need someone else. I do not-. I am not complaining, but these are not spells an Atlantean battlemage would ordinarily study in detail until they were studying for their mastery exam. I am not proficient enough to undo the work of someone who has studied hiding magics for their entire life."

"And we don't expect you to. Overgirl, see anything interesting?"

She hesitates for a moment, perhaps a little surprised that I'm asking her.

"There are no inexplicable sources of electromagnetism or sound. I cannot see anyone unusual through the trees. There is nothing hidden underground." She shrugs. "I have nothing to offer."

I nod.

"Rocket? Fire?"

Beatriz doesn't look particularly enthusiastic.

"Some people complaining about the disruption. Some people complaining about what the company pays. No real information about anyone who might have done it."

"No one unhappy with the work being done?"

Raquel shakes her head. "They were mostly happy about the jobs. One chick said she hoped that once the farm was built they'd sort out the area's power network. A couple people complained about what they were doing to the roads, but that was it. No one wants this stopped."

I nod. "Thank you both-."

"So?" Raquel puts her hands on her hips.

"So?"

"You gunna tell us what it is?"

I give my head a small shake. "I don't know."

"'cause you were sayin' this was a training mission."

"Oh, I could crank up my empathic vision and learn all sorts of things, but I think Squire has something she-."

"You don't know where we are, do you?"

Beryl's grinning.

"I know the grid reference, the longitude and latitude. Why?"

"Oh, given how much you went on about him, I thought you knew. Anyway, the damage was probably done with super strength. It matches damage patterns of other examples of super strength damage on record, rather than tools or super-sharp claws. No big footprints, so they're probably normal-sized. And they got their strength from the Danner Formula."

I frown. "Too much damage for Venom?"

"No. Danner blood clots differently. Once I worked out how that bloke cut his hand there was some blood that didn't fit, so I took a closer look."

"That was just.. steel, though. A Danner enhancile should be able to tear up steel as much as they like without getting a cut."

"Some of the saws here are tungsten carbide."

Uhhh… Tungsten carbide blade, if they hit it hard enough… Might pierce their skin… The blade would get the worst of it.

"It's possible. Did you find any fragments?"

"No." She shrugs. "Maybe they got cut somewhere else then came here? Look."

She pulls a slide out of her computer and holds it up. Scan…

"That's the Danner formula alright. Well found. What do you think our follow-up should be?"

"Dawn Warrior survived Hugo Danner's coup, right?" I nod. He's a long-serving Brazilian superhero who was part of Hugo's 'army', and he mostly took the job after Hugo lost because he didn't know what else to do with his life. "We could ask him. Can't be many people who know how to make it."

"The All-Star Squadron recovered his records. He might have showed the local tribes the process, but they wouldn't have had any sort of scientific education outside what he taught them. And I can't think of any reason why Luthor would have involved himself in this."

"How about Doctor Munro?"

I.. nod. "He was here, and he knows how to make the formula. But he said that he didn't know that there were other enhanciles…"

Huh.

"Think of something?"

"I never… Exactly asked him if he knew the formula himself before he went to work for Luthor. He might just have volunteered to let Luthor reverse-engineer it from his blood and tissues. I know that he knows the formula now..."

Raquel frowns. "Wait, so Luthor started making a super formula and you didn't check where he got it?"

"I… No, I didn't. It didn't seem important. And there's no reason for him to be doing field trials in the middle of Brazil when he could get plenty of volunteers just about anywhere."

No obvious reason for Dr Munro to randomly empower people either. And I don't think that his eagerness at the idea of meeting others like himself was feigned. That wouldn't make sense if he had been doling the stuff out himself. Of course, someone could have gotten hold of a sample of his blood while he was here… Or semen, if Hugo somehow managed to transmit it sexually as Dr Munro thought.

I think that I need to find that out.

"Alright, next step. Fire, do you know Dawn Warrior?"

She wiggles her head from side to side.

"A little. We've worked together, but we're not close."

I nod. "Overgirl, you and I are going to talk to Doctor Arnold Munro. Squire, you and Fire go and speak to Dawn Warrior. We need to know if he knows about any other Danner enhanciles around the place. Tempest, take Beryl's blood sample and try and track the owner."

"I.. don' t think I can do that. It's too old, now."

"Give it a try, or try identifying the alchemy in the Formula and track that. If you can't, then you can't. Rocket, stay here as security. A Danner enhancile could kill everyone here if they felt the need."

Her eyes dart to Angelika for a moment, then she nods.

"Squire, Fire, I'll drop you off."

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  10. chiazeiel

chiazeiel Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I don't think your assertions about her character quite bear out based on the information we are presented in the story. From what has actually been shown and stated in the story so far, all she has appeared to have done is act as a superhero through crime fighting and disaster relief.

As others in the thread have stated, she may have internalised views that most right-minded members of our society today would see as evil, but she has, from what has been shown in the story, not actually acted upon such beliefs. And whether you agree with it or not, thoughtcrime isnt actually considered a crime by most reasonable people in the world.

Given the above, in particular the fact that she hasnt actually committed a crime I do not believe that there would be sufficient justification for detaining her against her will, which would actually constitute a crime in most parts of the world today.

11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should "was" be "has"?

Hell's Razer, doug89, Mr Zoat and 4 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

There might be a third way to get the danner package.

Certain adoption rituals would carry the enhancement one direction or another since it's both present in the blood and possibly inheritable.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and doug89 like this.
  14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

You don't think that was one of the first things he'd look for? Have some faith in your teammates, honey.

The team really does need a proper Thaumatological Theorist, not just combat mages... Zatanna is a bit too young and inexperienced though...

I can just hear the 'Neptune damn it, This is annoying' in his voice...

So her Oversight failed? What's the point of having her on Overwatch, then?:p

Looks like they had no better luck than the rest.

In other words, the usual sort of local annoyances.

He can read emotions, Raquel, not minds. Use your words.

I would hope she'd treat it as a proper mission no matter what, not a casual training session...

Good god, I can feel the smug from here. She's radiating at least 2.5 Tattletales!

So I was right, this is something coming out of the Children of Dawn debacle...

Good work! How'd you miss that, OL?

Oh-ho, and skin like steel plate won't stand up as well against something that sharp.

Wouldn't a Danner Enhancile heal such a cut too rapidly, though? I wouldn't expect more than five minutes before even a largish cut regenerated...

Definitely some local CoD, then. Survivors of Hugo's band or someone new, though?

So some CoD did survive the initial combat and the subsequent illnesses. Who's to say one isn't living amongst a local tribe and has taken exception to the farmers moving in on 'his' turf?

Unless someone was wrong about the formula not being inheritable... By humans, especially. Ratsmice are one thing, people another.

Sloppy, OL! You lose points for lack of due diligence.

I suppsoe you could make the excuse that he was still operating on normal emotional levels, so a lack of interest would make it slip his mind in favour of things he wanted to do.

Yes, yes you should.

Good enough! Get to it!

I suppose the magical energy in it has faded out, like old ink.

Investigation mode go!

Hmm, the confirmation of Danner formula makes this quite the interesting situation. Was it someone who had the formula applied directly, like an original Child of Dawn, or is it someone who, like Doctor Munro, inherited from a previous instance. Perhaps the good Doctor has a half-indigene sibling running around out there, like some modern Tarzan...

15. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Half is a very... Interesting interpretation of the sentiments of the readership...

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Paul, say it with me; "Supervillain logic".

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

No one protests the destruction of the forrest? Aww :(

RichardWhereat and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Lex may be more sane in your story and in the YJ cartoon, but he is still a supervillain and as such prone to certain modes of thought that a sane person would consider bat-shit crazy mixed with a bit of shortsighted stupidity.
    Renegade Lex may be performing saner actions simply because he has the renegade to hold his hand and doesn't have to worry about his friends in their little clubhouse from making fun of him, paragon Lex is still in the clubhouse and doesn't have the paragon to hold his hand and stop him from doing something stupid.

19. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

I believe she referenced operations against freedom fighters/dissidents at one point, so she's probably killed a few people who didn't need or deserve to die. She's also mentioned as being willing to perform a genocide despite her father-figure actively stating that he wasn't happy about the previous ones, though that may be a case of her not really appreciating the fuck-uppedness of what she'd be doing.

The three main reasons I think it's still worth converting her are:
    A) it seems pretty easy seeing as she was showing cracks as soon as she woke up
    B) converting someone who is arguably the pinnacle of their ideology- smarter, stronger, blonder- is just about the biggest middle finger to the Nazi's you're going to find
    C) Paul's pulled the trick where he's all polite and reasonable right up until he annihilates a fucker enough times to make me certain that he's had the order to create a Gold K burst queued up in the back of his mind the entire time.

20. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

making a moderate/reasonable effort to turn/deprogram her ALSO makes a LOT of sense if you're predicting/expecting a conflict with her home-parallel at some point (defensive or preemptive to prevent them spreading to other worldlines)-
    as well as her defecting being a pretty damn good psychological blow,and one hard to cover up if the information release is handled correctly, she's a potential goldmine of information,-

and i dont -just- mean straight intel on the lay of the land/force dispersion/military equipment that you could easily extract with a mindrip-she KNOWS how a lot of the......Regime's forces/commands think, both in doctrine and on the personnel level- given they've been working with Kryptonian Tech/genetic material for longer than Strasse was reverse-engineering Daat yichud discoveries, knowing exactly what knockoffs/derivatives they're using/fielding could be quite useful...

Vorian, Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That would be a surprise, the Danner formula apparently doesn't enhance one's swimmers, since Hugo laid pipe left and right (including having a literal harem while among the Brazilian tribe) and yet Iron was his only apparent child.

The connections could also be from Germany, Argentina and Brazil have a sizable German-south american population.

Zoat indicated that both Donner and Ubermensch were Danner enhanced.

22. chiazeiel

chiazeiel Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

A cursory search of the archive doesn't seem to indicate that she took part in operations against dissidents or freedom fighters, let alone kill them, though there was a reference to the existence of "terrorists" bringing about weapons to bear on buldings.

While I acknowledge that she could have taken part in operations against such people or killed people who did not need or deserve to die, I don't think it is sufficient evidence to indicate that she did. I could very well have missed something though.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Weird nazi experimentation could be what's happening.
    South America has a significant german population, it wouldn't be a surprise if one of those was a former nazi scientist who escaped there with the formula.
    I think Zoat mentioned something about the guy that created, or found, the formula knew Wolf Kriegers father, or maybe him.

As to Overgirl and her killing freedom fighters/dissidents/terrorists, maybe she killed terrorists that weren't fighting for freedom, but maybe fighting for some extreme version of racial purity.
    She mentioned to OL that having a roma grandparent would exclude him from becoming Fuhrer, though possibly not have him killed so maybe some of those terrorists wanted a totally pure nation where no one that has a ancestor of a diffrent ethnic background is allowed to live.
    Though i admit she probably killed people we would consider freedom fighters, although they may have performed actions that led to the death of civilians, something i am sure that even Overman would find objectionable and would similarly kill them, even though he has doubts about the nazi philosophy and actions.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

While I get where Maxx is coming from, I admit that I'm a little put off by him extending such an attitude to anyone who was part of the Hitler Youth. To the extent that he feels absolutely zero sympathy for any of them who died after they were forced to fight the Soviets in the last days of the Third Reich.

They were literally children. Children who were forced into it. The Nazis made membership in the Hitler Youth mandatory. Unless you're seriously suggesting that we should have exterminated every single German older than 9 years old.

Like, fuck, I get being pissed at people who chose to be a Nazi. But I don't get the total lack of sympathy for people who never had a choice in the matter.

============

On Overgirl . . . I'll be honest. I don't think you're going to get a defection.

Even if reforming her works out, I flat out don't see her trying to join the Freedom Fighters or actually fighting Earth 10's regime.

I think she's more likely to try to do what Overman was trying to do. Try to change the system from within.

Like how Overman openly expresses, on national tv, that he thinks the genocides were wrong and the Nazis could have found a better way.

I just see Overman and a reformed Overgirl as the types who would try to create a non-murderous variant of Nazism rather than discarding Nazism altogether.

25. Sharp Card

Sharp Card Getting out there.

Meh. I lost family to Communists and Capitalists.
    There was nothing exceptional about Nazism. Not nationalism, genocides, racism, discriminatory policies, eugenics, expansionism...

If I was up for killing people with evil beliefs most of the world would need to die.

26. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

The thing about Nazism is that most people, even indoctranated ones, are going to be somewhat moderate.

"Sure, they're below us, but, killing them? Can't we just, send them off elsewhere?"

It's the leaders who want to kill, as part of empowering themselves further. But, the practice of creating enemies to foster unity never ends.

As for "Freedom Fighters"? Most of them do horrible things. They are out numbered and out powered, and desperate.

After all, if that was not so, they'd be Govenment forces.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It should be "And we don't expect you to."

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  28. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I think that should be 'doling' (as in to 'dole out', rather than anything to do with dolls :) )

I think that they're doing a good job of narrowing-down who's responsible. Here's hoping it isn't a Danner-enhanced cloned Hitler in a Wendigo suit. :)

29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I really don't think that Maxx Crowley was being literal about it, he's simply justifiably freaked out at the amount of sympathy a character who holds a really horrifying belief system is getting (sure, she hasn't been able to practice the nastier parts, but she didn't see anything wrong with them, either), and probably didn't want to count up the specific percentage of people making statements that look supportive.

Personally, I would be happier if she'd never shown up, especially if he's doing it to try to make the pony episodes look less annoying. It doesn't make them less annoying or offensive than they would be otherwise, they're just annoying and offensive in a different way. In fact, I think it's making them look worse, because I'm more annoyed at Zoat than I otherwise would be.

Maxx, I suggest just unsubscribing from the thread and checking the index to see when the horror is over before you resubscribe. It's what I'm going to do when the pony episodes start. I'm seriously considering doing it before the pony episodes start, because I'm not sure how much I care what happens in this episode, and the comments are getting pretty annoying.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    X18999, Ngamer11, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  30. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

I have done the same before, when the thread got too toxic and the updates less interesting . It also helped that I got caught up in one sitting.

If you think it would help, maybe try reading weekly.

Zelnik and Prince Charon like this.