1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I get that part, but that doesn't change the fact that she encouraged both of her students to focus on academic and scientific studies, rewarded them for it with one of the most valuable commodities in equestria, Celestia's time and teachings, then gets strange when they behave... exactly how she's encouraged them to.

I feel like the problem is that she leads with the magic stuff for too long, and doesn't try to get them socialized till they're older, which is a problem, especially if canterlot is as ... canterlot as shown.

Of course part of the problem may not be celestia directly, so much as the school environment encouraging that sort of single minded pursuit of personal knowledge and skill to the detriment of the kids' social lives.There's tons of schools like that IRL, and plenty of schools that impair social development without the benefit of being hyper competitive academically.

Well not every spell casting tradition is as efficient as malthusian glow tech.

Black Mage's Hadouken was powered by love. Every time he cast it the divorce rate increased.

2. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

From Wiki, so 'true for the comics but not necessarily WTR'
    "Mother Boxes can access the energy of the Source for various effects; they can change the gravitational constant of an area, transfer energy from one place to another, sense danger, sense life, create force fields, rearrange molecular structure of matter, absorb or project powerful shock blasts, create electro-webs, control the mental state of a host, communicate telepathically with a host or other life form, manipulate the life-force of a host to sustain it past fatal injuries, open and close boom tubes, take over and control non-sentient machines, evolve non-sentient machines, merge sentient beings into a single more powerful being, sustain a life form in a hostile environment such as space, and do many other things. Mother Boxes have an affinity for the Source and are believed to draw their power from it. In that sense, they can be seen as a computer that links man to God."

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Power rings aren't powered by emotion, they're catalysed by it.
    No, because later on Twilight goes to Canterlot and reconnects with her old friends. Like Moondancer. Twilight actually had reasonable social skills.

Things could have gone very differently.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

18th March
    15:19 GMT -3

Of course, the downside of everyone having superpowers-

There's a splintering sound as a young woman crushes the base of the trunk of a young tree with her bare hands.

-is that they can get away with rejecting technology. I don't think much of tribal society. It's something everyone starts with and which advanced civilisations grow out of. But if the Accala spread out across the area they might try and claim at a population density that would be sustainable… They'll never need tools, let alone science or technology. They can outrun cars now. Tear down trees with no need for chainsaws. As long as they can make the Danner formula they don't even have a use for draught animals. Not that they-.

Or do they?

"Dawn Warrior?" He turns back from the local he was talking to, who runs off to find someone senior. "Do your people farm?"

"My tribe don't, but some of our allies do. We know how to, but we were worried that planting areas would give us away on aerial photographs." He looks away, frowning at Beryl as she moves her arm computer's camera around. "What are you doing?"

"I want some photos." She smiles brightly. "I've never been to the Amazon Rainforest before."

"Ah, okay."

"I thought it was Australian tribes who thought cameras steal your souls when they take pictures."

"Ah… It could be. But we get…" He shrugs. "The jungle is warm and damp, so we don't usually wear all that much. Sometimes, the tourists-."

"I'm not taking 'private time' material." She lowers her computer and makes a show of turning off the camera. "Really."

"Okay." He raises his hands in mock surrender. "Sorry."

Though I see why they might get that sort of attention. Everyone I've seen so far is a Danner enhancile. Tribal people generally don't get that fat due to the fact that their lifestyles involve constant physical exercise and don't involve a lot of refined sugar, but they don't usually get as overtly muscular as civilised athletes do. But while the Danner formula doesn't make you huge it does make you muscular. And it keeps you in your physical prime. So there are a lot of healthy-looking young-looking men and women around who aren't used to seeing white people and probably haven't seen a superhero other than Dawn Warrior before.

And as a result they're taking a break from their usual routine to wander over and stare at us.

Dr Munro-. Ring, translator off.

Compliance.

Dr Munro is talking to them in their native language, which is provoking a little surprise. A couple of children are daring one another to touch Beatriz's fire, which… Hm, it shouldn't be hot enough to burn a Danner enhancile, not unless she puts a lot of effort into it. Beryl is-. Beryl has noticed Beatriz's unease and is trying to distract them with her computer. Raquel actually is checking people out-.

"Hey… Orange."

"Yes, Rocket?"

"You can just dose anyone with that stuff, right?"

"Yes, that's correct. Interested?"

"I dunno." She's staring at one youth-. Who could be old enough to be her father for all we know. He spots her interest, smiles with extreme self-confidence and flexes a little. "How hard is it to hide it?"

"No idea. But no one's spotted that Kon has super strength and Superman went through Junior School, High School and college without anyone spotting that he did. So it can't be that hard."

"And the downside's that I have to eat an extra egg every day?"

"And you can't use other forms of augmentation. And it will probably try regenerating your piercings."

Her right hand goes to the collection of hoops piercing her right ear. "Oh."

"That's what bothers you? Given how much exposure you've had to Terminan technology, I'd have thought-."

The crowd parts, and a trio of older people walk through the crowd. Dawn Warrior immediately walks over to them and starts talking-.

Ring, translation.

Compliance.

"…investigating one of us attacking a logging camp."

A grey-haired woman who… Perhaps her mother just didn't want to have the formula? I'd be astonished if she actually predated Hugo's arrival in the jungle. She gives her head a dismissive shake.

"We have not yet begun. You know this."

"They tested blood found at the site. Danner formula, and there are only a handful of us outside of Brazil."

One of the old men half-turns and whispers something to a stern-looking enhancile standing next to him, who turns around and takes off -metaphorically- at speed. The old man then turns to Dawn Warrior.

"It will take some time to be sure. These people…" He looks at us. "They are here to stop us?"

"No. They want to find out exactly what we want, and then negotiate with the government for us. They will make that part easier."

"I think that making our initial attack a statement of intent would have a greater effect. But since they are here, we may-." He blinks, looking past me. "May well-."

He brushes off his minders and strides past me, walking up to Dr Munro and staring in amazement. Dawn Warrior goes after him.

"No, Elder. It's not him. That's his son, Doctor Arnold Munro."

Dr Munro somewhat sheepishly nods his head. I suppose that the younger people he was talking to would have never met Hugo Danner, and they probably wouldn't have had a picture of him either. The resemblance would only be obvious to people who were around when he was.

"Actually…" Beryl turns away from the children and brings up an image of an old… report of some kind. "That's not."

What?

Dr Munro turns to her with a frown, his neck curving slightly as he tries to read her screen from the wrong side.

"Doctor Arnold Munro died in nineteen seventy four. In Brazil, doing veterinary work on isolated farms. Which is probably why he got buried without anyone notifying his family, because the people who found the body didn't know who he was and didn't know where he came from."

She smiles at Dr M-. The man who apparently isn't Dr Munro.

"Pretty good choice of fake ID, really. I had to check a whole load of forms manually, and it wasn't as if he wrote an itinerary. Took bloody ages."

"How did you-?"

"You're not the only Lantern on the team any more. Arisia needs more friends."

The impostor nods, and I'm trying to work out where he could have gotten a shot of the Danner formula from. Or rather, his mother. I suppose there's no reason why Hugo couldn't have given it to someone outside of his tribal allies. Oh, please tell me that Lex didn't clone him.

Beryl smiles smugly as she turns off her computer.

"So why don't you tell everyone who you really are?"

The impostor shrugs.

"At this point, why wouldn't I?"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  5. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

Dun dun duuuun.

6. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Holy Plot Twist Batman!

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The plot thickens.

Man Brazil is just clone central isn't it, first the Hitler clone and now Munroe.
    Boys from Brazil has never been more accurate.:D

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm trying to work out if a tribe of Danners has a long term chance.

Without a need for technology it would be rather hard maintaining any, long term, which would put them at a severe disadvantage.

Someone could,for instance, kill their food supply, starving them.

They are not a large enough group to have economic clout (see also lack of tech) and while their status as "tribe of hot looking victims of the state" would garner them sympathy, their ststus as superpowered people might negate that. A bit hard to be a victim when you can punch through metal.

9. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

So... What are the changes that this is actually Hugo Danner? Perhaps one that went through the Lazarus Pit (actually, has anyone tested if Danner formula is conpatible with the pit?).

Also, OL should offer to dose everyone in the tribe with the formula. He can easily do it, and it'll help a lot. No weak dependants = strong negotiation position.

And I hope Raquel finally goes for the augmentation.

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Oh, my bad, but what are they powered by then?
    The T'au would like a word.

11. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Someone pick up that phone?

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I suppose having skin tougher than steel makes tool-use redundant... Along with most 'civilised' things.

So Danner Enhanciles can jump past the stone- and bronze-age tiers in Civilization. Imagine that Mod. The biggest challenge would be metallurgy for things like steam technology...

Sensible. I wonder just how long they could manage to subsist on forage and hunting, before they cleared out the area... Guess that why they're nomadic.

Suuure, Beryl, sure. Surrounded by trim, muscluar young men and women... Anyone with a sex drive would be paying very intense attention.

I'll bet they would. The tribes would be like a beauty parade...

No, seriously, Beryl, we believe you. x3 <fingers crossed out of sight>

Yowza. I wonder who else is eating the eye candy.:p

Huh, the good Doctor seems surprisingly comfortable?

Naughty, naughty, Raquel. But wait, Doc Munro can speak their tongue? Suspicious...

Ah, someone's seeing the upside of being super-powered...

Looks like the Team isn't the only ones enjoying the view.

A little bit more than that. But the upsides are well worth it. A little practice holding back your strength, which Icon could help with...

Seriously, that's your big concern? You can get clip-ons, you know. Or just squeeze bits of wire into place, even.

Ah, the Elders have arrived. Time to get to the bottom of things.

Straight to it, eh? I suppose there's no need for much politeness - when everyone is tough, no need to worry about fights.

Interesting. Someone who actually knew Hugo himself?

Sending a runner about the local tribes, eh? Another benefit of Enhancement: outrunning any ridable creature, so news spreads fast.

Yeah, OL made it clear that unless they actually start shit, the Team won't start it either.

Ah, another case of mistaken identity...

Indeed. But that reaction... Surely Arnold doesn't resemble his father that much?

Wait, what?

No. Way, Is this going where I think it's going?

She spotted something in the data, didn't she? The benefit of her natural knack for it.

Odd sort of hint? Or is she saying she's buddy-buddy with the rookie Green?

OL, OL, OL... Surely you aren't this blind, are you? Think outside your preconceptions for a moment...

Hello, Hugo Danner. To borrow a phrase: It appears reports of your death were exaggerated...

Well, that happened. No wonder 'Arnold' was so interested in meeting other Danner Enhanciles... He wanted to meet more people like himself, all right. And his work with Lex... Lex didn't need to track down the formula, did he? Not when he could find the original test subject!:eek:

13. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

because that's actually hugo danner?

14. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I'm really confused, this isn't the comics Arnold who is Hugo's son?

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In Gladiator, being hit by lightning killed Hugo Danner.

In the comics, that was Hugo faking his death with some random south american schlub's corpse.

So Hugo Danner has a history of faking his death.

Unless Zoat is throwing us a curveball.

Lokpik, Jaron, Alexandercctv and 13 others like this.
  16. ArKFallen

ArKFallen _____

The rings manipulate the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum to work and don't actually consume anything to function.
    Each of the colors were split off the White Light of Life entity early in the universe; the WLL entity is an(the?) embodiment of Life in the universe just as Nekron is for the Black Light of Death.

DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin, caffeine and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

The Emotional Spectrum, which appears to be built into the universe.
    About how much they agree and if I've got any ideas on how to convince the kroot?

DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin, caffeine and 7 others like this.
  18. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

And she waited until now to speak up? Rather than any point before they were in the middle of a jungle surrounded by superpeople?

I mean, if he responds negatively to you outing him and picks a fight, you're now among a group of people that have been actively hiding from outsiders for decades, so probably have some level of xenophobia, even if their leaders were wise enough to actively try and avoid that. And this guy happens to look like their god.

So if a fight does break out, what side do you think the hundreds of superpeople are going to take?

19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

The losing side, considering who's going to be backing her up.

Caerwen and Ardy like this.
  20. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Ultimately, yes. But even discounting the possibility of something going sideways in a fight and one of the team being unlucky, it's not like they actually want to fight these people.

And kicking over the anthill with all these tribes of superpeople is just asking for all kinds of long term complications. Their current plan is for a big show of force against military targets, with absolute minimal collateral damage. Then force the Brazilian government to the table to negotiate a mostly-peaceful exchange of power.

If they think they're coming under a preemptive strike and kick things off early and half-cocked. Or even worse, if the guy they think is their actual god stokes the beginning of a holy war or something.

I mean, maybe this won't turn out so bad. And if there are any problems, maybe they'll be manageable and won't spiral out of control. But they sure as fuck could. Which is why I wonder what the fuck she was thinking, by forcing this reveal here and now, when surrounded by an entire superpowered army that will probably take the side of the other guy.

Instead of just calling it in to OL when she first found it. Or telling him when they had the sound-filtered chat in the previous chapter. Or, if she wanted the dramatic reveal, at any point in the isolated jungle before they reached the army of superpeople.

21. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

It was my first thought, but then they'd likely just run to the nearest town and loot the stores.

Navi-Hank, gustyeagle and Ardy like this.
  22. Stsword

Oh by the by, funny fact- In the comics, the Sons of Dawn came from the Lost World of Arthur Conan Doyle fame.

You know, Prof Challenger, Lord Roxton, dinosaurs.

So in the comics the staple of their diet was dinosaur meat.

23. alid610

alid610 Light of the Revolution

Wait if the emotional spectrum built into the universe powers them then how do they run out of charge.

Ardy likes this.
  24. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

This feels like Monty Python.

"My true identity? Why wouldn't I tell?"

"He's going to tell! He's going to tell? He's going to tell!"

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This seems rather... stupid.

Just outing that Dr. Monroe isn't Dr. Monroe to whoever is there to listen as soon as she finds out. The Team, the warriors of the dawn, and Dr. Monroe himself.

Like before, the Tribes would have been more positively disposed to Dr. Monroe as the son of a beloved benefactor. But now, they might go from positive inclinations to negative inclinations. Because not only is he not his son, he is someone impersonating his dead son. Outing 'Dr. Monroe' seems like an intentional attack against him, where even if things are smoother over, he might still hold it against you because because a failed attack is still and attack.

Like outing Batman as Bruce Wayne, thinking it will turn people against him or make him vulnerable. Even if it doesn't turn out that way, I don't think Batman is going just to go 'no harm, no foul' because you still exposed his personal secrets and tried to do him harm through that.

Also, you don't know why he did it, so you could end up with something like he needed to change identities to hide his age, because he is older then normal humans live, and doesn't look it/act it at all. And being in the modern data systems as his 100+ year old real identity just makes him a target due the extreme outlier nature coming up in the systems as erroneous or fraudulent.

You know, like how her mentor has been around since the civil war and and is very much an imposter, and has been so for centuries.

Then there is how she doesn't actually know his actual identity, just that he is not who he says he is. If he is a bad guy, that sounds like going up to Lex Luthor and saying, "Hey, I just found out that some of this business paperwork is fake."

You know there is this project is that something other that what it is down on paper as, but not what the real project being hidden actually is. Sure, there's approximately a Snowball's Chance in Hell Lex will just tell you the real answer out of the goodness of his heart. But more likely, telling him that someone is looking means he will make extra sure the true answer never sees the light of day.

So my question for Mr.Zoat is this a character being a stereotypical dumbass teenage twit who was already seeing red and had a chip on her shoulder, because of team friction *ahem Nazis ahem* or did you the author just decide to write a bit of a drama because it seemed interesting at the time, without really considering the implications?

My guess, this person is who he looks like. That is, Dr. Monroe's father. He used his dead sons ID, because he looked about like him to pull it off easily. He is a Danner Enhance because the person who invented it is also a person with the skills to refine it over time until it could be applied to an adult.

Apparently I misremembered. He isn't the inventor, just someone who has studied the formula for a lifetime.

26. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Beryl is Squire, not Rocket.

Navi-Hank and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

That makes it worse. She should be more experienced and know better than to let something like this slip publicly without conferring privately with her colleagues first, or at least running it past one of leaders like OL, Kaldur, or Batman.

28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Lol, nice joke edit.

So either this is a clone of the first Dr. Munroe or the real doctor.

If I am not mistaken the thing with the children of the dawn happened in the late sixties, so the timeline sort of works.

Hell's Razer, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Not in Smallville and not in Pre 52 canon.

In Smallville quite a lot of people found out he had powers, over a dozen, only they ended being deal with in most cases since they were villains.

And in Pre 52 canon you have Kryptonite Man. He got a hate bonner on Clark Kent when he found Clark was THE BEST because he cheated by having superpowers.

Clark didn't even apologise or say something lie he didn't get his powers until he became an adult.

90s Superman was a bit of a jerk.

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  30. Stsword

Not Kryptonite Man, but Conduit.

And Clark explicitly told him that he didn't have any superpowers in high school.

dogbertcarroll and Navi-Hank like this.