1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Not sure if anyone would go for it (in fic, nor in such a reality) but oddly the SI being who/what he is, he actually could bribe the Brazilians and others with enough to make it worthwhile to them. And I'm not limiting it to cash (equivalents). Like... here, I'll build you an offworld colony to live on.

But even though he could make an offer better than what they give up in any purely objective metric they care to specify, it won't be home and humans can be stubborn about such things.

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yeah, but who's he going to fist this time? Hugo?

I too hope they go to war, and win. I imagine that Euanthe will want in as well.

3. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm a little surprised that OL didn't point out that what they're asking for is absurd and that they need to be at least willing to be more realistic

Though it could be that he wants to build some trust first before he starts trying to get them to accept a more reasonable compromise

4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Away with your anarcho-primitivism.

These crazies need to be crushed. Just let Overgirl off her leash and be done with it.

5. RichardWhereat

First round in negotiations are always unrealistic. Also, they have enough of a danner enhanced army to be able to win, so it's not unrealistic.

Darko likes this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Brazil has chemical weapons, so they really don't have enough of an enhanced army to be able to win.

7. RichardWhereat

They never said they were opposed to technology, or that they were anarchists. Hell, they're a tribe, which has leaders. They just want their rainforest back, and likely so does Gaia, who is a real entity here.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aaaand things go downhill, fast.

I mean, I get that they're angry but that is just absurd. How many milion people live there? What do they expect will happen? Do they have a hidden ally somewhere tha makes them overconfident because even patrolling that area with a few hundred people is nonsense.

9. RichardWhereat

Danner Enhanciles may just choose to take the fight directly to the leaders, killing them before such weapons are used.

They're powerful, OL seemed to like their chances earlier on.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

You said it, old boy.

And he wants no part of their worship. I doubt he believes he deserves even their respect given the fate of his followers...

Ah, one of the fathers of the boys he empowered... That's got to sting.

Methinks this is something Hugo needs, even if he doesn't want it...

And now you're remembering the last time you heard that line, aren't you Hugo?

He's still seeing how many ways they could die, isn't he? He's been able to look at all the weapons mankind has developed since he went native, and they should scare him something fierce.

Oh, dear. Not the best association. Remember the last Lantern they saw?

OL, seriously, you just flubbed that diplomacy check hard. Natural 1. You rolled so bad you got a negative score.

See! They have no reason to like any kind of Lantern. Whatever the colour. If Alan showed up, he would be spat at! They don't like you.

And I'm sure the Brazilians are happy to oblige. Especially if you tick them off.

I seriously think you could have phrased that better. Who's Fabiana Holguin anyway? Brazilian government or a news reporter?

Thank you! A voice of reason! He knows exactly what they could do to the tribes, he should want no part of that fight... Though that last part suggests he's willing to take the heat on his own head again.

You saw that Red, right? I don't think Cauã is alone in those feelings...

Yes, please do explain your reasoning, Tattletale?

And now you're regretting it, OL. Let this be a lesson, and start looking into other people's backgrounds. Like John Quinn.

He's not that buddy-buddy with Lex. That's the Renegade's thing.

Not the best reason, but the logic is understandable. And you all saw their reaction to the truth...

Beryl preparing to fall on the figurative sword, eh? Batman will not be happy with any of this...

And young enhanciles rough-housing might get a bit hard on things like walls. Though they probably learn their lesson after the first couple of collapsed huts and the resulting spankings...

Oh, boy, muscle-wizards. "I cast FIST!"

At least this is something OL is good at dealing with... What they want, and how to reconcile it with what they can get...

Yeah, I don't see any government agreeing to that. Up until they stomp in the door of the assembly building...

Oh, that'll go down well with the cartels... 'Rancher's Association'...

Might be a chance to get some clean energy tech involved, then. No motor vehicles, as noted, because superhuman strength. But I'm sure they wouldn't mind things like lighting, medical tech, cooking tools, that sort of thing...

And once the shouting stops, I'm sure the answer will be "No way in hell!"

I can just see Batman pinching his nose already. "All it was meant to be was a simple training mission... Not triggering a conflict between superhuman tribesmen and South American governments!" Bat-dad's patience will be sorely tested by OL's knack for overcomplicating matters...

Correction:
    ...seeing, it might be better...

11. jonasquinn

Yeah, when he thought they just wanted the rainforest and maybe some other land not most of the fucking continent
    The problem there is as soon as they involve other countries it ceases to be an internal issue and the League has to get involved and I don't think they'd be able to handle the combined armies of all their enemies as well as the League

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Marix Reaver

Marix Reaver All the dragons shall be lewded!

Seriously? What they are asking for is so stupidly ridiculous that it makes me laugh incredulously. And they really think those governments will give into their threats?!? At least one of those governments probably has super soldier programs, and even if none do, they can hire super powered mercenaries and villains to fight for them if they are backed into a corner.

Some super villains probably built labs and secret bases in these forests and wouldn't give them up without a fight. Besides, as said before, they would probably want these natives as test subjects.

Besides, what will these natives even do with this much land? They don't have enough people to fully occupation it, even if they spread out.

In this situation, I really hope these native people lose, they ask for far too much.

14. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I honestly want the tribes to be successful and sure they can get support from Gaia herself on wanting to restore the Amazon Rain forest.

Mr Zoat what position would League be in if the tribes did go to war to reclaim forests? Would UN ask them to intervene or something?

Alexandercctv, DrThoth, Darko and 2 others like this.
  15. jonasquinn

I imagine they would given that I'm pretty sure all of those countries are members of the UN, the tribes are clearly the aggressors and it sends a bad image if they just let a cabal of superpowered people overthrow and annex multiple countries

16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

The hell with those demands as soon as the open war is declared I imagine poison gas will wipe out the native population
    Yh they're powerful enough to fight the conventional army and hold the rainforest, if it was just the forest then the Brazilian government might give it up but the whole continent? the first round of negotiations will be with chemical weapons.

17. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I just realized that Luthor had to expect this to happen at some point. I totally expect that once their demands are public he will personally support the tribes and their desire to take back homeland and wanting to restore Amazon, would be tons of PR for him.

18. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Yeah, not likely. The Brazillian, Columbian, Ecuadoran, etc governments will tell their armies to mobilize, and they'll start napalming and gassing the rainforest. Western nations will wring their hands and whine, and the rest of the BRIC countries will send troops to assist in return for mining rights.

Absent the Bog God intervening and exterminating everyone (or OL mind-controlling people) we're looking at the start of one of the greatest ecological disasters in history.

19. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Fine. Regular primitivism. But they're talking about dismantling farms and de-industrializing. Returning everything to jungle. That seems pretty anti-tech to me.

Like, it's pretty clear they want over 50% of South America to return to a purely hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They don't actually worship Gaia.
    The League wouldn't want to get involved. Would they if it came to it? Maybe?

I can't remember what it's called, but there's phrase which means something along the line of 'even if someone has committed an offence against you, if you want your complaint to be taken seriously then you better not have done anything wrong yourself'.

21. jonasquinn

I imagine the League would have to get involved since all the involved countries are UN members and if the tribes won they'd be forcing millions of people out of their homes and would probably cause an unprecedented financial and refugee crisis as several countries simply stop existing for all intents and purposes
    Eh, we know he knew the tribes existed but there's no way of knowing if he actually knew what their plan was

Also, given that they'd be painted as a bunch of super powered terrorists declaring war on several countries I doubt Lex would back them up, he'd be more likely to give the Brazilians super weapons to test if they work on Danner Enhanciles

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  22. ArKFallen

ArKFallen _____

The moment the demands included 3+ separate countries' land their chances of negotiation became fucked. After the first attack on another country they will be classified as international terrorists and the the UN's peace-keeping force will be pressured to step in.

23. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

The big question is - what else do they have? They have an army of Danner enhanciles. But those failed once before. And were refined since (it wouldn't surprise me if their version is better than Lex's). They might also have other assets not disclosed yet. Like... Snowflame should be somewhere around this area, shouldn't he? And even Trigon acknowledges(if not fears) the power of Coca (and yes, I know this is a fan comic, it's still fun).

Point is - assuming they are not stupid, the Dawn Warrior is at least somewhat aware of the state of the world, and they remember Green Lantern, they likely have at least several trump cards they are yet to reveal. We might be seeing Great Ghost Dance yet.

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Hopefully these Tribes Folk understand that they are NEGOTIATING rather than simply demanding things. Also it'd be nice if the government understands that as well.

25. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

This latest chapter is reminding me of the Shadowrun Sixth World setting's country of Amazonia.

If the Dawn Warriors reach out to other marginalized groups than they could potentially acquire powerful supernatural allies and start creating a similar nation. I would be very interested in seeing the story progress in this direction as it seems like it could lead to a very interesting conflict between a Scientific and Magic military force.

26. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

There are wars happening all over the world that they don't get involved in.

Ardy, Jaron, RichardWhereat and 4 others like this.
  27. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

This segues nicely into something I’d like to point out- this would be an excellent time to plant Euanthe’s seed, and have her explain exactly why going that far is a Bad Idea, Ecologically. If a plant-goddess tells you that the ecological changes you’re trying to implement are stupid, then it’s probably time to review your ecoterrorism plans.

28. jonasquinn

Yes but those are either A) Civil wars which the League has no right to interfere with, B) Between countries that aren't members of the UN so the League can't operate there or C) Complicated enough that the UN wouldn't want them to involve themselves nor would there necessarily be a good and bad side

None of those apply to this situation

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Lex probably didn't know about several hundred super strong people living in the jungle and only believed that a few like Dawn Warrior survived.

Fabiana may be that reporter that did a brief interview with OL and Kon when Canis showed up on Earth with Dreamer, Black Reign was the name of the episode.

Gaia would most likely not be interested in an intervention, plus depending if the stories are true in story and if she hasn't mellowed out like Hades has then Gaia was known to be a tough love sort of woman in the myths with her tough love including things like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and Typhon.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

These guys seem surprisingly ignorant of what the rest of the world could do to them, especially since Dawn Warrior has been living with access to the Internet to look stuff up. I hope they just go with plan take over everything they want, and Hugo decides to go with it even though he knows it won't end well as a way of taking responsibility.

The League can't be contacted/respond quick enough, forcing OL to go to more expedient measures to subdue them. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lex uses this as a way to market some new weapons, like the OMAC drones, to prevent metahuman uprisings.