1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Fascinating. The Noughties He-Man revival series? I suppose it's less corny. The 80's one might have called OL 'Ring-Slingor' or something terribad like that.

...That is unironically the first time I've seen the actual He-Man/Skeletor dance. And boy, do they play up the Man-love angle! Hooray for the Noughties' series' realistic Adam/He-man secret identity. I see the usual memory wipe of local knowledge has occurred.

"Of course. Just when I was working up a good rythym..."

Yeah, that inky blackness would be creepy as fuck in real life. I'm picturing something like a Vantablack stocking-mask and luminous goggles.

"Not much when people keep interrupting me..." Seriously, I bet every time he gets started, something comes up...

He wants it for himself, doesn't he? I assume that actually happened in the series and it didn't go well?

Wand, Staff, Rod of Might. Anything suitable for casting spells or breaking heads should work around here.

Heh. I doubt there'd be any romantic attraction, but it would be funny if other people saw this and thought so...

Could be clearer that it's Teela rather than Mustachio Von Technobarbarian Duncan the Man-At-Arms... I didn't realise that until several lines later...

I bet there's some friction there.

Ah, good to see his perfect memory works.

Admittedly, he looks like he's as wide as he is tall. Still a nice guy.

Oh, the boss' daughter. But she's also under his age-range. Unless some other, older female adventurer turns up...

I'm guessing this is something more than a simple bar-brawl. OL wouldn't be caught dead getting involved in one, except to break it up...

I'm sure it was nothing of the sort.

I doubt OL would risk getting drunk. Orange Light plus alcohol might lead to him going all "Mineminemine!" on the royal treasury...

For good reasons, no doubt.

At least it isn't a schmaltzy straight-at-the-camera lecture.

Okay, let's hear it...

"Or as the saying goes: Fifteen will get you Twenty... Years. In Gaol..."

Ah. I'm guessing he's a bit sweet on Teela himself and didn't realise how big a thing the age difference might be...

And he's as oblivious as ever. Same old OL, whatever the universe.

Given who we're talking about, I'm guessing so. He's a simple guy, kind of literal-minded...

A little bit of structural and neurological repairs might go down well, if he's willing... Maybe even some upgrades.

Was never a big fan of either the 80's or the Noughties series, but this is an interesting side-trip. And if anyone's wondering, Eternia does have a distant connection to the DC universe, thanks to crossovers like 'Superman VS Masters of the Universe' and a comic started in 2012.

Correction:
    Another 'asking for E-mail to access' link...
    ...still elude my comprehension...

2. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

In all honesty he could do worse then Teela.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is OL trying to become a mage or something?
    I ask because he said something about archmagedom.

What is he called in this universe?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait a second...THESE AREN'T PONIES!

Can't say I ever particularly cared for He-Man except for his heart moving song but I trust Zoat to make it entertaining.

Ardy, Bramble Thorn, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  7. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

As someone who knows nothing about He-man, this is utterly incomprehensable. I've noticed it a lot in your writing, that you don't actually take the time to expand on stuff for people who are unfamiliar with certain people or subjects or even settings. Writing with the assumption your readers will perfectly understand all the references is a bad habit to make.

8. Grounded

Grounded Oh no, I fell over.

I wish I could like this twice. This is an awesome parallel universe I never knew I wanted to see.

Lupercal likes this.
  9. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

Color me interested! He-Man was a bit before my time, and I missed the remake, but I know enough to get the gist of what's going on.

Still looking forward to seeing what happens when the Anti-Life shard meets the Friendship Rainbow, though.

10. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

The video is called "Fabulous Secret Powers" and it's by slackcircus.

The song is called "What's Up" by the band 4 Non Blondes.

I heard it's woke garbage.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

11. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I could not follow any of this. I have never watched any He-man.

12. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, despite having watched some He-man I don't have a clue who these people are.

13. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

For those going "I don't get this", Google is your friend.

Wouldn't really be stereotyping; I assume in-universe there's something something Pure Water spell but barring magic - which means we can refer to OTL - drinking water in that timeframe, without it having come direct from a deep well or known-pure spring, would be guaranteed to at least give a serious case of Skeletor's Revenge. The reason historically everyone swilled alcohol in such mass quantities was because the alcohol killed the critters living in the water - and, thus, it was, by and large, the only thing safe to drink.

14. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Sorry, I'm using my text-to-speech and sometimes it messes up. What I tried to say was every time I read one of these alternate universe stories, I get really interested in them and wish we could follow them in their own stories.

15. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

This is debatable, a quick google-fu links to experts arguing against this.
    So I guess in the He-Man universe, drinking non-alcoholic beverage can be a thing

Ardy and Wild Transient like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Don't know much about this outside a few well known memes. I can get the gist of it but the emotional investment is zero thus i don't particularly care for it even more so when only a few updates will be in this setting.

In short it may as well be non canon snippets (what i believed original renegade to be).

In short, I am disappointed to have this instead of a new update on either of the main timelines, but I'll live.

True Ninja and Bomaz like this.
  17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

And that makes you want to see Zoat's take on it less?!?

Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your last statement. To preface, my knowledge of He-Man can fit on a dime, one sided; and most of my enjoyment of this chapter came from seeing a more baseline Paul struggle with his constant obliviousness and jailbait problems.

I believe that any fanfiction writer who tries to go out of their way to make every one of their references explicit will end up weakening their work. One of the greatest strengths of fanfiction is in its ability to start its story with a large majority of its worldbuilding already done. The writer (and reader) can jump into the plot almost immediately, only spending time showing what is different with the setting and characters. Wasting time and word count on explanations that are assumed to be mutually understood would be tedious, boring, and unrewarding to reader and author alike.

This does lead to the drawback that most fanfiction is insular to people familiar to the source material, but this is counteracted by another of fanfictions strengths: it is free online. If you are reading it, you almost certainly also have access to many other free search engines, wikis, and forums; in which you may pursue understanding. I have read several very good stories whos source material I had never encountered with the aid of such resources. If the reader is unwilling to engage with such research, that to is fine. You get what you pay for.

All fanfiction is a work of passion, and is inherently selfish. Its only rewards are of a job well done and potentially interacting with a community that shares your passions. Publishing ones work is often the hardest and least rewarding step in the writing process, but the one which I'm always the most grateful to all authors for. Otherwise my days would be much less colourful.

Mr. Zoat writes well over 400,000 words a year. These two chapters take up about half a percent of that. I wouldn't care if he made 50% of his writing about fandoms I have no understanding of, it would still leave him producing more free content that I love than most other writers I follow. (Though I will admit it took me three Google searches to figure out what the Basophil Amulet was.)

Edit: Sorry for the verbal explosion, I'm going to blame the cold meds.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

DC has the rights to do He-Man comic books.

They even did two crossovers.

One in which He-Man's mother is from DC Earth and Constantine's bad reputation extends all the way to Eternia.

And another in which He-Man and pals get recruited to help beat down Stupid Evil Regime Superman from Injustice.

20. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

He's not the Alicorn of Ham.

I know this for a fact, because when we were making guess about his cutie mark, mine was in fact a large ham.

And Zoat shot me down.

Stupid Zoat.

Lupercal, Cuchulin, Oglymogly and 5 others like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah Constantine, hated across dimensions.

After that time where he let that parademon army destroy Gemworld it is nice to know everyone hates him no matter the universe.

I am just waiting for the moment when someone finds out he is the same room as the protag. and just attacks said room because they hate him and think killing the protag is a mercy, which to be fair with what we know of John and what happens to those close to him it is a mercy.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

May I presume that the voice of Grayven is being played by Sheldon J. Plankton in this scene?

Drinking water was still common in those times even if it wasn't completely sanitary. If you were poor, you would drink whatever was available.

However, ancient people were still intelligent. They could tell that people who drank alcohol were healthier than the ones who didn't. They could ALSO tell that people who drank too much of it got drunk, acted stupid, and got sick. So while the specific practices varied from place to place and from culture to culture, diluted beer was a standard beverage for hundreds if not thousands of years in the classical world.

That said, mixing it with alcohol wasn't the only known way to make water drinkable in classical times. Vinegar was exceptionally popular for the task in classical Rome, for example.

23. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I think more to the point is that the He-Man setting is Techno-Barbarian, so they have kings and riding animals and people swinging swords, but also flying cars and blaster guns. Honestly, who knows what their water sterilization technology is like? Could be just fine.

24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It varies. In major cities with pre-invasion technology and people like Sir Duncan living in them, water purity is as good as or better than we have it. In the countryside things are rather different.

25. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

Krass is a big guy, sincere to a fault. He's courting a goatherd.

Orko is a wizard. His face is never shown and has the whole "eyes in blackness" thing going on. He has a broken wand and thus cannot do magic.

Teela is a woman who's a capable warrior. And little patience for OL.

This is all straight from the text. What of that was unclear?

26. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

What makes you say that?

Lupercal and DrThoth like this.
  27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I do actually enjoy the new She-Ra cartoon quite a lot; most of the controversy I've heard revolves around She-Ra's appearance herself, but the characters and plot are pretty compelling, and there could be fun interactions between First Ones magitech and a power ring if a SI ever did show up there, and most of the villains seem quite conducive to the SI's general rehabilitative efforts as well.

I only watched a couple of He-Man (2000s series) episodes, but I always wondered what would happen if He-Man had empowered Orko instead of Battlecat (I believe there was a moment where he potentially could have chosen the former).

28. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

It isn't.

Plot's good, relationships make sense in context and the show is respectful of things like homosexual relationships while also not ramming it down your throat like a fanfiction writer waxing lyrical about HarryXDraco.

OL would likely be his usual blunt self when it comes to how the Princess Alliance is running the war effort against the Horde.

Lupercal, True Ninja, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't even know what that is....am I going to regret asking?

30. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Considering it opens the politics door? Probably.

Bramble Thorn likes this.