1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

He has the ring on a chain around his neck. It is out of charge. He doesn't miss it.

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  2. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat can this version of Paul not charge ring based on passive avarice like a blue ring could feed on hope? Also, you have a more full map you showed in link? Looks cool.

Also Fallout setting always fun.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given in Fallout the Old Gods are real and have no connection to the Zetan's this Paul is in for a rude awakening.

I give it a couple years before he is a gibbering mess of insanity right along side the previous tribals.

4. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Thank you, I'll learn to read eventually.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Only blue and yellow rings can charge without a lantern.

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually Green can convert electricity into ring change at a highly inefficient rate.

7. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And he didn't take on a new Rulername, of either Anakin or Luke? For shame.

What? I completely missed that in my playthroughs. I can't find anything on the wiki's either.

8. david

david Getting sticky.

Coming to this chapter right after reading the rwby fic "dust in the wind" makes me wonder if there's a resurgence in Fallout NV popularity or if I'm just getting Baader-Meinhof'ed.

9. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

I think it's implied that all rings can be charged with ambient emotions, but that blue and yellow are the best at it. Probably because both Hope and Fear can spread more easily than the other emotions.

10. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

I got to admit that would kind of suck to be stuck in the world of Fallout having a power ring and then not having a way to recharge it ever.

11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Why is Paul in the US? Isn't fallout comic canon that europe got along with less damage than the US? Then again that was when the nukes fell, as far as we know the old continent could be absolutely overwhelmed in a war with Asian ghouls (larger pop probably resulted in a lot more gouls).

12. Bigking321

Bigking321 Know what you're doing yet?

"What's their name now?"

Krono looks to the side. Sees Luke and Leias force ghosts smiling at him.

"The Sky Walkers."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  13. j334

j334 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Funny how I was just the ither day thinking about how no one goes for fallout 2

14. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Its this fic canon that ANY KIND of energy conversion that ends with with being a net positive in regards to energy requires a high degree of skill and focus with the ring.

Ardy, jonasquinn, Darko and 3 others like this.
  15. RichardWhereat

Probably because he knows the setting better there, and wanted as much advantage as he could get.

zerofarad, Alexandercctv and Caerwen like this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I know that feeling well. Australian Summers aren't nice at the best of times, even when things aren't on fire or flooding.

It's easier to keep busy without modern distractions, and the whole 'scrabbling to stay alive' thing the Fallout Universe has going on.

Oh, that's never a good thing. When things 'get complicated' in Fallout, someone - or a lot of someones - end up dead.

And here comes that complication.

And it'll likely be too late for you as well.

The implied 'and threaten them into compliance' going unsaid, of course.

Let's hope they're not a General Ripper type. This is tense enough without the guy in charge having a raging conflict-boner.

Ah, no suitable charging devices in the Wasteland, eh?

Moving to set up attack positions if things go ploin-shaped, no doubt.

Making them likely to be on edge, expecting trouble...

They outgun the visitors, if nothing else. And likely outrange them too.

Okay, he's not looking for a fight. I doubt he wants to commit too many forces trying to besiege a clearly well-defended compound.

Hell, would he ever have heard an English accent before at all? I doubt there's much international travel, if any at all.

Let's hope no Platinum Chips get involved...

Ah, a very simple naming scheme the locals have, eh?

Note that wasn't a 'no'... That bodes even more poorly for the visitors.

Oh, boy. I'm not sure whether that's a good sign or a bad one...

"Not a contagious one, obviously."

Hoo boy. Yeah, that sounds so pleasant.

Power Rings Are Awesome... until the battery runs out, anyway.

Heh, a minor footnote in Fallout history. No doubt things might improve a little for him here.

Best way to break off with the past.

:picard: You seriously went there? You devious troll.

Well, an interesting break. I don't know much about the Fallout universe - the games never got my interest - but I suppose it's an interesting setting to drop a power ring into. Pity he couldn't get a charging source... Yet?

The truck pulls to a stop...

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, psionic powers exist in this verse, so there may be hope of recharging the ring yet, somehow.

Also, Big Mountain could probably whip up a Lantern for you.

I'm a bit surprised Paul stuck with a tribe though. Assuming an utilitarian goal of "spreading civilisation" he should have chosen one of the bigger, more tech advanced factions.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's mostly from Fallout 4 and a couple things from Fallout 76.

Though, given he stayed with Tribals instead of flying off and using his ring to reactivate Vault 0, he probably got a heavy dose of mind fuck the moment he landed there.

Nope, Europe was mostly wiped out by the combination of resource shortages, bioweapons, great darkness, and radioactive storms that followed WWIII.

Also of course the Enclave clean up.

19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Try here.
    As far as I know, The Sky Reavers only have the generic raider focuses. Which seems like a tremendous waste.

20. RichardWhereat

Eh, Big Mountain isn't that advanced.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I am pretty sure that yellow rings can be charged by the fear around them, but I could be wrong and they just work if they have fear around them

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Technically you can charge an orange ring by eating demons in this story.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In fact, thinking about it this Paul really must have been mind screwed.

Because with a 100% change power ring it would be super easy to both kick start civilization back to pre-war levels and give yourself an empire.

24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    More advanced than Area 51? The largest holding facility for zetan technology on the planet?

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In this story, no, yellow rings just get stronger in the presence of fear.

It doesn't recharge them, it just makes their constructs or whatever more powerful.

26. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Awesome, wasn't aware that was the place talking about. Curious if has any plans to see if Mothership is still in orbit or not.

Also curious if any plans to find Big MT and make use of facilitates there as well.

Gilhelmi, RichardWhereat and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, because Zetan technology sucks compared to cutting edge pre-war technology.

There's Vault 0, which has the production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

There's the Whitespring Congressional Bunker, which has the production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

There's Nuka World, which has the production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

There's The Institute, which has the scientific knowledge and production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

There's the Sierra Madre, which has the production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

There's Watoga, which has the production abilities to rebuild the wasteland.

Bonus points, all but 1 of those can be done in 5 minutes by using a power ring to take over a central computer system.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yes. There is no point in having supertech lying around without anyone to study and reproduce it.

A faction with an educated workforce is a thousand times more valubale than one piece of alien tech.

Chaoswind, Jaron, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s not that he doesn’t know canon and believe the Old Gods are real, it’s that the Old Gods don’t do much outside of specific situations and weren’t really involved or studied in Area 51. Area 51 contained a large amount of the Zetan technology, and they used that to brainwash the people living there into worshipping them. There might be some minor Old God artifacts there, but they would have to work around Zetan brainwashing.
    Edit: looking into it, Area 51 was mentioned in Fallout 1, but was removed from fallout 2 before publication. This brainwashing thing is mainly Zoat’s backstory

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Gilhelmi, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It was probably studied there before the war, and there might be research left over. Though Paul would probably try to recruit some of the people from Big MT. Besides, there were only 5 or 6 people with scientific experience living on Big MT, all brains in jars. Only one of them was making new technology, while the rest were playing politics when the Courier was there. All the enemies were robots and animals if I remember correctly.

Cuchulin likes this.