1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Then put it all down to no internet in this world to source that information from, and incomplete metaknowledge. Makes it more realistic.

Vaermina gave me a few links before that hinted towards them potentially being real, but there was nothing concrete about it.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  2. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Only if you have a full technical database. Which Paul did not start with.

Alexandercctv, Ardy and Darko like this.
  3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

None of them except the Sierra Madre are in Nevada, and Fallout 76 is probably not canon. The Sierra Madre and Nuka World were never shown to have production capabilities - just a big vault of gold / fairly weak tech. The rest are run by factions who specifically don’t want to rebuild the wasteland (Institute), or are already trying to do so on a small scale (brotherhood).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, the closest thing is that you can find basically the Necronomicon at the Dunwitch building in Fallout 3, which has some more involvement in the dlc, the hallucinations you get and the cult focused on a statue in Fallout 4 Dunwitch borers, and that Fallout 4 has a family of pre-war immortals (the Cabot family) being sustained by blood taken from a guy possibly controlled by an ancient crown that gives him superhuman abilities (though that could be ancient Zetans instead).

5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Oh, look. Goris. Shame that. Don't know why people are so obsessed with those talking deathclaws. They need to stay in the dustbin where they belong.

Also, Paul can't go to Vault 0 because Vault 0 isn't canon. None of the stuff from Fallout: Tactics is canon. There's no fucking way that the existence of some huge ass Brotherhood empire in the Midwest wouldn't have been mentioned by literally anyone.

The most they've ever done is play some lip service to it by saying a detachment of the Brotherhood did get sent to the Midwest, but that it went dark almost immediately and is assumed to be destroyed.

Additionally, Cheyenne Mountain falls within Legion territory. Both within canon and within the world of the HoI4 mod. Because this isn't the regular Fallout setting. This is the alternate Fallout setting of the HoI4 mod: Old World Blues.

One of the things that's different about OWB? There isn't a Courier to save the day in the Mojave. Which means the NCR is probably fucked. Almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong for them, and could only be fixed by the presence of the Courier. Conversely, almost everything that could go right for the Legion did go right. The only thing a Legion aligned Courier does is speed up their plans.

Without a third-party to intervene, pretty much the only thing that won't go in the Legion's favor would be that they probably don't fix that howitzer. I'd say it's up in the air if they ever find a replacement part to restore that Auto-Doc's surgery feature. Or maybe get lucky and capture a Follower's doctor.

I also say that they're probably fucked because, in the mod, the NCR almost always loses hard in the war against the Legion. Mostly because the NCR just can't fight simultaneous wars against the Western Brotherhood and Caesar's Legion. (Every single game I've run since they released Trouble In Paradise, the NCR has lost. HARD.)

If we see more snippets from this universe, I'm expecting to see a lot of, "Ave, true to Caesar."

=========

Also, as a bit of fun. Because this is the HoI4 mod, the major player in the Midwest is actually the Chicago Enclave.

As far as OWB is concerned, the Brotherhood detachment that would have become the Midwestern Brotherhood was immediately attacked by the Chicago Enclave. With the Brotherhood getting their asses kicked. (They haven't been destroyed, but they are "on the ropes".)

The starting date of the mod is also before the events of Fallout 3. Which means there are technically 4 potential Enclaves in OWB.

You would have the Chicago Enclave and the Capital Enclave at the start. But it's also possible for the Enclave to take over the NCR and New Reno.

[​IMG]

They recently released Trouble In Paradise. So next on the agenda is Monster of the East.

Still got a long way to go before we get to see "the powerful and feared Chicago Enclave".

Old Knife, Ardy, nobodez and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It won't feature in this story but yes. If the player goes the 'Sky Lords' route they ally with the Sky Reavers and provide them with alien soldiers.
    No. The SI's knowledge of Fallout is minimal, and he's got his hands busy with Area 51.
    Which would be... The famously unfriendly Brotherhood of Steal (spelling intentional)? The even more unfriendly Institute? Enclave survivors? As opposed to people with acccess to all of Area 51's records?
    Oh, those guys are very useful. Jack more than his father, but...

7. Mr Zoat

I play the Enclave Reborn submod. Douglas Granite for President!

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Fellow and 6 others like this.
  8. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm pretty sure his initial priorities didnt have "restart human civilization" listed highly when he picked Area 51 to start at. And by time he had cleared it, he was out of charge to check other locations, though he may know of them.

If he got the normal start, he started in space in his pajamas, over a Earth he didn't recognize. A few ring scans to figure out what is going on, and he decides his first priority is figuring out how to recharge his ring. So he looks for concentrations for high/alien tech, and picks Area 51, which is probably the biggest concentration of it on earth amd was mostly uncontested.

That he isn't too interested in recharging it now is probably a mix of burning through its charge fast enough it didnt warp his psyche towards WANT, and that with the tribe and tech he recovered he feels safe enough he thinks he doesn't need it to survive, unlike in the DC universe.

The locations you listed in your later post (btw, thanks for including the links), while much better for mass production and being a base of operations, and fairly easy to hack, probably didn't register with the ring as having potential ring recharge supplies. Heck, depending on Paul's wording, they may have never been listed as a option. For example, if he specifically asked for alien tech locations. They'll probably be a mid-late game acquisition for him, once he gets a recharge or his tribe grows strong enough to travel the wasteland.

9. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I've got to say you've certainly outdone yourself this time, i absolutely love it! Unfortunately only a snippet but still, wow.

10. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

When I realized this was the Fallout universe I was expecting him to have a full ring charge after investigating or taking over one of the alien ships around, but then I realized the Maltusians probably don't exist in this universe.

Although he maybe could have met The Doctor if you consider some of those weirder events canon.

Cuchulin, RichardWhereat and Ardy like this.
  11. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder if we'll ever get to see Paul in the Marvelverse setting again. I'm curious as to how the biological warfare against the telepathic bacterium known as "Sublime" is going,

12. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

its actually implied that at least -something- horribly gribbly is around- the....stuff involving that cult/sacrificial pit in 4, and that thing with lorenzo- and there's been confirmed supernatural elements outside the random encounters since, at minimum, 2 with Hakunan's telepathy/dreamspeaking- as well as a bare minimum of ONE genuine ghost in the same game....
    keep in mind, a good chunk of the setting was originally themed after/derived from 60's scifi/horror- its been a good long while since ive gone through the bible or the older lore stuff, but in this one, the claim's entirely believable-
    i mean, this is a setting where you can literally grow an extra toe from relatively mild radiation exposure,pack a full-on matter replicator and a fucking fusion reactor with enough fuel to run it/an entire settlement for some time into a literal fucking briefcase- not even getting into the impossibility of the T51's "fusion reactor" having bunkerage for over 100 years, or explode an almost half of an Enclave Patrolmen's Torso, with your bare hands,through their/including their advanced power armor, with a single punch/kick if you're "just -that- good!"-

even the basic laws of physics have notable divergences from prime-realities- something like a Fatman- a "relatively" mundane, if worryingly brute-force oriented weapon with no bizarre super-science behind it, literally isnt physically possible with a warhead (or, ironically, that little fallout) that compact given how fission warheads work- a Davy Crocket/atomic Annie round would be significantly larger, and that was the bare minimum, stripped-down lower end IRL that you either had to fire from a hill, or from the back of a moving military vehicle at speed to reliably dodge the fallow/ radiation hazard zone of (or from an artillery piece in the case of the latter, and you'd still be wise to...attempt a relocation when possible)-

not to mention the existence of a "sweet spot" of radiation poisoning where you become biologically immortal (though not psychologically) instead of suffering a horrific death over days/weeks(depending on level of medical care) as your internal organs/musculature literally liquefy due to you no-longer HAVING DNA, and suddenly becoming physically incapable of healing/cellular division (there is a case of this as a result of extreme genetic damage due to an incident in japan- the poor bastard was kept alive "for science!!!" for almost a month well after the point he was begging for euthanasia- he literally started shitting out his guts after a week or two- it isnt pleasant reading- the "doctors" involved, and i use that term EXTREMELY sarcastically, didn't even have the "excuse" about being former Unit 731 staff afaik >.<).....

...... honestly, having the priest of the old ones slumbering underwater somewhere is... kind of mundane given how many subtle ways the laws of physics/reality are....off, somehow without breaking earth's/reality's ability to support for "normal" life despite all the knock-on effects from altered physical laws in that hellhole....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Cuchulin and RichardWhereat like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Yes, next week.
    Doesn't cover that though, I'm afraid.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Are we going to see a chapter focusing on MCU Paul?

Is the Marvel chapter going to focus on him and Hela?

15. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

You got that confused, the Paul who is dating Hela(as much as you can date a Tsundere) is in the Avengers Earth Mightiest Hero cartoon.

MCU Paul is the one who got an infinity stone and left earth for good.

16. Mr Zoat

Not anytime soon.
    No.
    Not for good. He came back after the Xandar-Kree was over.

17. ForeverShogo

Going off of the mod . . . This is what things usually look like by the time the Second Battle of Hoover Dam takes place. Well, when left up to the AI. As a player there are obvious targets of opportunity that would make the Legion even stronger.

[​IMG]

Well, technically they'd already be at war before the Baja sides with Caesar. But I wanted things to be as static as possible and held off on actually declaring war to go ahead and do the focus to align the Baja bandits.

With the war goals of the Great Khans and the White Legs, that narrow strip of land between them and the Legion proper tends to get annexed too. No Courier means you don't get a Fallout protagonist to stop the White Legs or convince the Great Khans not to side with the Legion.

The Eighties are a bit of a wild card in that they can either expand east or west. If they go east the Legion gets another enemy. If they go west the NCR gets another enemy. Though eventually the White Legs will go after them regardless. And the White Legs always win if they joined the Legion.

That dark country in the west is the Western Brotherhood of Steel. They pretty much always end up declaring war on the NCR. Usually while the NCR is already at war with the Legion.

What usually ends up happening? The NCR doesn't do a very good job of handling a conflict with the Brotherhood, the Baja, and the Legion. Then the White Legs usually finish off Utah and smash the Eighties, opening up another front in northern Nevada. After that? The NCR just can't fight on that many fronts and falls apart. Even if the White Legs don't join the Legion. (If they do, NCR just loses faster.)

Maybe things will change when they eventually get to the NCR rework, but as of the current state of the mod? The Legion almost always ends up in control of Utah, Nevada, and California. Because everyone is just that damn fucked without the Courier to ruin things for the Legion.

Oh, then the Rio Pact declares war long after it could ever make a difference and get themselves annexed by the Legion too.

====================

ANYWAYS . . . For the question of if that one NCR Ranger had ever even heard a British accent before. It's technically possible. I guess it would depend on what kind of scavenged holotapes were still in working order and in circulation.

Maybe he got lucky one day and watched some James Bond knockoff or something. Thinks Kronos is just obsessed enough with a movie character to talk like one.

crazygrox, Vorian, Chaoswind and 3 others like this.
  18. RichardWhereat

Is that a reference to the WTR is a game, or is Fallout now playable on Windows 10 somehow? If it's the later, how? For the love of Lathander and all that is holy, how?

19. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

Unless I’m missing something. I never really saw the point in giving Paul an Orange lantern ring in these settings if he’s just going to run out of charge quickly.

With the Blue Paul at least he can charge off ambient hope but with the orange. Well he’s out of charge and now it’s useless and I doubt that Paul knows how to build a pseudo lantern himself.

20. RichardWhereat

Hang on.. What mod?

21. Mr Zoat

Well...

In Enclave Reborn you find out after taking the Hoover Dam that the Courier sided with the Enclave. You also get a rather nice picture of an Enclave flag hanging over the side of the dam.
    Oh, the sergeant isn't a Ranger. The guy with the big gun is a Ranger, but those guys are too rare and important to be common.

It lets him grab the resources he needs to build a life without giving him a crutch.

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He’s talking about the Old World Blues mod for Hearts of Iron 4

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Aeess i knew that the Avengers one was dating Hela and the MCU one left earth, i was asking if we would see a chapter for both of them.

24. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

RE: Blue and yellow rings responding primarily to emotions inspired in others, rather than directly experienced by the user,

Given that the only examples of the phenomenon in the text are Grayven's Sinestro-ring, Syndicate-universe Baul's ring, and Alan's ring that Kalmin made,

I had inferred that the common thread was that, regardless of their colour, they were all antimatter rings.

Which would also imply, reverse-morality universes with, for example, a chaotic good Red Lantern Corps that win by trolling their opponents, or Star Sapphires powered by fame and seduction.

Honestly at this point I don't really care if it is particularly canon; the concept is self consistent enough, and entertaining to me. Just thought I'd share.

Vorian, Caerwen and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Say it with me: Nobody reads the FAQ.

26. RichardWhereat

Oh dear gods yes. So.. downloading that game and mod. Thank you.
    Yeah, but if anyone ever did, they'd likely get the mantle of God of Lawyers, or something like that..

Ardy, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  27. ForeverShogo

Oh, I've played Enclave Reborn before. Which also makes the Legion quite a bit stronger, and makes things even harder for the NCR by denying them one of their few allies. (New Reno.)

If Enclave Reborn is part of this Fallout universe, I'd say Legion victory is even more likely without some really cheap and gamey stuff that only a player would do.

But I'm also someone who thinks way, way, way too many horribly underestimate the Legion. It's not nearly as backwards and anti-tech as a lot of people think it is.

28. rman916

rman916 He Who Reads The FAQ

The what? I don’t think you’ve ever talked about such a strange entity before.

Certainly not more than a hundred times, right?

Vorian and DAT_NOOB like this.
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Well no, it’s backwards, but it’s not anti-tech. They’re basically a bunch of raiders that went so far backwards that they ended up coming out the other end as really forwards-thinking.

Cuchulin and RagnarokAscendant like this.
  30. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

See, I actually did, it just didn't directly contradict my headcanon!

Bramble Thorn likes this.