1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

okay while most of your point is completely true, from what i and a lot of other people are able to tell mothership zeta is mostly just a fanwank DLC kind of thing. it doesn't happen, or if it does then there's no way it ended the same way it did, otherwise a lot of other stuff would make no sense power scaling wise. for instance, the lone wanderer would likely share the alien tech with the brotherhood because friendship or something. the alien stuff has always been mostly a joke/random encounter because it's mostly for gameplay purposes like weapons, and a bit of fluff. a crashed alien ship was only in new vegas if you had wild wasteland as a trait as well. it's not meant to be canon, just a fun little jaunt that gives you some cool stuff.

The area 51 thing is true though, and if it did go through then aliens would probably be in the actual canon, but different from how they were in MSZ. mostly cause them starting the great war is a complete fucking cop out.

2. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

I played 3, 4 NV and some console game for xbox that I never finished with Boob tube lady and dumb haircut dude.

You cant forget what you never played.

3. Brian_Fiction

Brian_Fiction Terribly Lost

You're right to say that it's unkind, and I contest the immature part because yelling at people you don't like is an all time favorite past time that people of all stripes indulge in, but the reason I didn't construct an argument is because I have no interest in arguing with Vaermina. Put simply, the only reason I made a comment at all is to make myself feel better because going so long without expressing my dislike was trying my patience.

4. Threadmarks: Old World Dudes
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Mid-summer, 2279
    A little later

One of the soldiers lowers the rear flap and I step out of the back of the truck into a temporary campsite. A couple of squads are working on digging a trench and using the soil to create a short sandbag wall just behind it, and they're sweating buckets as a result. I'll have someone come over with fresh water later; all of the good sources around here are already controlled by the tribe and they're probably trying to avoid contact where possible.

Goris hops down after me, his tail somehow staying concealed by his robe. I got a brief flash of his feet, but that was because I knew exactly what to look for. Any of the NCR people who happened to notice would probably write it off as unusual footwear. As for his size? The most obvious explanation is that he's a Super Mutant, and that he's either trained very well or he retained his intelligence during the change. Like magic, 'intelligent deathclaws' are something the people of the NCR regard as a myth.

Sergeant Mitchell is already striding off towards a man in a suit whom I presume to be Ambassador Granger. The Ambassador's tough-looking bodyguards are already sizing me and Goris up as potential threats, so I make a point of showing my empty hands once again. After all, it's just a professional thing for them, rather than an indication of active hostility. The Ambassador himself turns as the sergeant approaches, glances at me and Goris for exactly a second, and then gives the sergeant his full attention. A few moments later he nods and then makes his way towards a canvas-covered area and takes a seat at a desk there before motioning for me to be brought forward.

A fairly basic intimidation technique from a man sitting in the middle of my tribe's territory. I've made a point of telling my tribe's emissaries not to do things like this.

The sergeant beckons us forward, so Goris and I amble unhurriedly in the Ambassador's direction, looking around as we do so. Goris is a keen student of human behaviour and he's given me some useful lessons on the subject. The men and women doing the digging are younger than most of the other soldiers, at least based on what I can see. And their uniform appears to be less armoured, though I suppose that could just be because they're not being deployed in a combat role at the moment. The people who appear to be their NCOs are… Watching them more than joining in. Are they a penal unit? That doesn't seem.. likely

The rows of tents are neat, the structure I assume to be the latrine is set up and… Oh, a genuine armoured APC. Those are far rarer to find in good working condition than the more common trucks they're using to transport their soldiers. Does the Ambassador rate one, or are they using it for a mobile arms locker? The NCR's rifles are.. a bit basic, but the very fact that they can produce their own firearms in their own foundries is actually quite impressive. That's one of the things I genuinely respect about Shady Sands; it's not a small part of a pre-war settlement trying to bring itself back from the brink of death. It's genuinely new, a farming town founded after the war which made good.

Sergeant Mitchell nods to me at us as we approach the desk. "Mister Ambassador, this is Krono and his associate Goris."

Mr Granger nods. "Gentlemen, good morning. My name is Phillip Granger, and I represent the New California Republic. I'm here to discuss your people's accession to the NCR. The NCR plans for expansion in this region include us taking possession of the old US military base at Groom Lake. Obviously, any of your people living there will have-"

"Hm-hm."

"-to leave. We can help you with your resettlement, and there are a number of public work-."

"Mister Granger, I realise that in a negotiation that it's a common tactic to open with a strong demand and let yourself be negotiated down, but… Please."

"Mister Krono, you're within driving distance of the largest army in America. The NCR will take this area. We'd rather do it with your cooperation but it is going to happen."

"Ambassador Granger, the largest army in America is currently sitting on the east bank of the Colorado River and is facing the second largest army on the west. And I don't believe for a moment that General Oliver will allow you to move more than a token force just to pick a fight with some tribals. But." I raise my hands a little. "We would be delighted to have more contact with the New California Republic. The whole philosophy I've been espousing-."

"And what philosophy is that?"

"Transhumanism."

His face hardens, his eyes flicking to Goris for a moment. "If you're using FEV, General Oliver probably will give me the men I'd need to overrun this place."

"No, we're not using FEV. FEV wasn't developed at Area Fifty One. I've never so much as seen a sample." Though I would like to study it. If only to try to help Goris out. "But when I arrived, I was able to help the rest of the tribe gain access to the highest security areas which the survivors of the Great War put into full lockdown before they pulled out. I think they may have ended up joining the Enclave…" I shrug.

"Oh yeah? And what's in there? Plasma guns? Power armour?"

"In addition to the more conventional military research programs that were carried out there by the pre-war government, Area Fifty One was also the US's centre for zetan research." He looks a little lost. "Aliens."

"Hah! Aliens!" He shakes his head. "Look, I know that some of the stuff the old government had in there was pretty advanced to a tribal-. And if your people know their way around the place, maybe it's worth keeping you on in some capacity. But there's no way that any of that stuff came from another planet."

When I first… Vanished from Earth Prime and appeared here, I desperately looked for a way to recharge the ring. Finding nothing in the blasted world below me I started looking for something else that would give me the power I needed to survive, and maybe make something of the situation. Which is why I came here: the largest cache of nonhuman technology combined with a local population who might be prepared to negotiate with me. The way things actually played out… It could have gone better, but it could have gone a lot worse.

"The pre-war reports stored on the base's terminals suggest otherwise, but if you like I can give you a demonstration."

"A demonstration of aliens?" He sits back, his eyebrows raised. "Excuse me if I'm a little sceptical."

"No, we don't have any-" Living. "-aliens. I mean the abilities their technology gives us."

"By all means."

I focus my telekinetic grip and lift him into the air, his hands grabbing for the desk and his eyes widening!

"Holy cheeses!"

I carefully set him back down while remaining motionless, trying not to further antagonise the NCR soldiers who are pointing their guns at my head. "After I defeated the Cult of Whispers, I cracked the command codes of an alien device which the pre-war researchers called the neurotropic initiator. It was damaged -which is probably what drove the Whisperers mad in the first place- and I repaired it before testing the device upon myself." Ambassador Granger struggles to get himself back under control. "Not everyone in the tribe has chosen to use it since then, but a good few have."

"Okay, that's, ah." He makes a downwards motion with his right hand and the soldiers reluctantly lower their guns. "Certainly.. interesting. But that doesn't prove that it's alien. Pre-war science made all kinds of crazy discoveries."

"As I said, I took control of the alien computer systems. All of the records that were stored at Area Fifty One are at our disposal, and the aliens' technology seems to respond well to-" **-mental contact.**

That gets a blink, but I suppose that simple telepathy is less immediately concerning than the ability to throw people around.

"Including their repair and fabrication guides."

"You're telling me that you know how to make this 'alien' technology?"

"Some things. Most of what the pre-war military acquired came from small alien craft which they shot down. There are still large holes in our knowledge. One of the things we are very eager to trade for is further examples of zetan technology."

"And what's the worth to you?"

"We are happy to take NCR citizens as students, grant them similar abilities and teach them how to use them. These can be soldiers, or your own researchers."

"If we get researchers clued up, why wouldn't we just keep anything we find elsewhere to ourselves?"

I shrug. "We will have more experts for the foreseeable future. You won't have many, and it wouldn't be efficient for them to be split between multiple sites. And if you're serious about us becoming a county in the NCR, the best way to make that happen is to cooperate. Deliberately withholding anything important will strongly alienate my tribe."

He nods. "No pun intended."

"Quite."

"And the situation with Caesar's Legion?"

"They're a blight on the wasteland. We can't offer you a great deal in the short term, but I think you'll be interested in what we have."

"Which is?"

The fully repaired zetan fighter floating above us drops its stealth field.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

Pffffffthahahaha!

6. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I wonder if the universes without a Jade are being ignored by Time Trapper Paul and Red Queen Jade?

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, I'll admit that is a different situation.

I am now very interested in this side-verse, I hope we'll see Para-Paul bring civilisation back to live in the Wasteland

WargWolf, Arghonn, MasterG and 14 others like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

IFV's are a dime a dozen on the east coast.

No, he's within driving distance of the fifth or sixth largest army in America.

Well it's confirmed, Paul mind fucked himself and is now unknowingly a puppet of the Old One's.

That would be scary, if those things weren't basically made of tinfoil.

9. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

What makes you think there isn't a Jade just waiting to be one of the people sent from the NCR to be upgraded.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. They have no idea what's in store, do they?

The interesting thing is if their intelligence breeds true. It'd be tricky finding mates for them, but the result would be something amazing.

Already underestimating the 'primitive tribals', eh? Ah, the schadenfreude will be grand.

More likely they're the FNGs, freshly recruited from the last tribe 'acceded' into the NCR...

And it's a rare thing in this era, from what I understand. What with the raiders, wandering monsters and passing Protagonists with 100 Thievery...

A strong start, but entirely the wrong tack to take here.

Honestly, that's the kind of insulting opening that would send the tribal ambassador stamping off declaring war on the 'arrogant outsider'...

I suspect the Ambassador is in for a bad time...

From the context, I take it 'FEV' is very much hated by the 'pure' human factions...

"Oh, yes, plenty of that. But that's nothing compared to the real good stuff."

I take it the stuff dates back to Roswell, perhaps?

A solid counter to arguments about why you didn't go somewhere else.

Brace for awesome. Malteasers or Popcorn at the ready.

What would be the holiest of cheeses? Gouda? Swiss?:V

Still trying to rationalise, eh?

Even in this universe, Paul is rocking the telepathy. Nice.

Oh, now you've got him interested.

And now he's willing to play nice, eh? Quite the 180° from his initial offer.

I'm sure they're welcome to. I doubt they'd be shown the good stuff until they can be trusted...

:eek: Oh, gods, I didn't even notice that...

Not pleasant, from what little I know.

"O-Okay... You have my undivided attention..."

And that, Kids, is how you make a grown man soil himself in amazement. I suspect the NCR will be very willing to play nice now... I'm guessing that's part of the Mod's tech tree, eh?

11. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

...Area 51 is nowhere near the east coast.

Organized, properly fielded militaries? The two that get referenced in the update are likely the largest.

You have absolutely no reason to think that. Normal Psionics exist in the fallout setting.

Why are you like this?

Eld_Tiger, WargWolf, Sendral and 42 others like this.
  12. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

"doing" rather than "going" I think

Hell's Razer, Cuchulin and Mr Zoat like this.
  13. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well that's one way to make a statement GOT DAMN. And what a statement it is talk about a butterfly. So is this verse Jade going to be a tribal from another clan or an ncr spy/assassin sent to make sure that everything is on the up and up

Edit: Will the psionics breed true or is it tech based only

Aabcehmu and Cuchulin like this.
  14. desolatedsabers

the "Tin foil fighters" are still dangerous enough to blow the shit out of a truck with it's laser. plus one of the bigguns apparently had the potential to laser a giant hole into the landscape. sooo, while smaller, i'd still be pretty wary of the space ship, even if their pilots suck at flying. also, psionics are very much a normal thing, like the master purposefully made them and everything. you meet them in mariposa, some show up in 2, and there's the forecaster in new vegas. all have psionics and can see the future without needing zetan tech. but sil does bring a point, why you like that though.

15. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

because they crash so often?

16. thebishop8

Why would Jade exist in any universe that isn't DC?

17. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

"You see, Ambassador Granger, you are not dealing with a group of podunk tribals scared of your boom sticks. You are dealing with people who know what they have and know what they can do with it. So we can either continue to fuck around or we can negotiate openly and get something productive out of it all."

18. Mr Zoat

No. The Sky Reavers don't have a unique focus tree. As far as I know, you can't research any zetan technology with any faction. The unique fighter is a rip of a Chinese fighter.
    Thank you, corrected.
    There probably isn't a Jade in that setting.
    So far they aren't sure.

19. desolatedsabers

could you potentially mix zetan psionics with mariposa psionics? i didn't give that much of a thought but it sounds neat.

20. Mr Zoat

Mariposa is a giant hole in the ground, so... Probably not?

Unless you're talking about the Troll Warrens once they establish New Mariposa, but in their case the total lack of 'smart' mutants makes me think that there won't be a lot of research going on.

21. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Cool, I always thought that Fallout Psykers didn't get enough love and the fighter could be great for stealth strikes into Legion controlled areas to really fuck with their ability to do anything.

22. desolatedsabers

nah i meant like the forecaster kind of psionics. they had to wear the psychic nullifiers and all that, the master kept them around to figure out certain things cause some of them could see the future, others could see the past, some were just able to see what was happening then and there. it was neat. but i'm not sure how well it'd mesh with telepathy in the mix. i think one psionic had the ability for telekinetics though.

23. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Why do any of the DC heroes exist in DCverses with significantly different histories? Logic doesn't apply in situations like these.

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What? No! Pun completely intended.

25. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

Because he(she?)'s Vaermina...

26. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

When's this in the timeline compared to Fallout 3? Is Mothership Zeta still hanging out orbit around the Earth, or has the FO3 protagonist destroyed it? If it's still up there, I'm sort of surprised that Paul and his minions haven't boarded it so that they could take it for themselves by now.

27. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

That does look pretty interesting. But what the NCR really needs to do is unfuck the situation with their Brahmin Barons.

Despite the threat of the Legion, the corruption of the Barons is ruining the NCR Army. They use their influence to keep a lot of the NCR's better stuff as essentially security guards for their cattle ranches, and they've caused things for NCR's regulars to deteriorate so badly that many of their soldiers only get two weeks of training or are deployed without proper body armor or even a service rifle.

The NCR barely fought off the Legion at the First Battle of Hoover Dam, and the greed and corruption of the Barons has made their forces weaker than they were then. Really, at this point the only forces the NCR puts any actual effort into is their special forces.

By contrast Legion soldiers are all supposed to be on the same level as or better than an NCR Ranger. At least according to Cassandra Moore, who was herself a Ranger.

I say supposed to because, well, gameplay and story segregation can be pretty strong. Especially where power armor is concerned. That shit is nuts in the lore and never really that big of a deal in-game.

==============

And for the question about the Mothership . . .

The current date in these snippets is 2279. Mothership Zeta happened in 2278.

Though that's the normal canon. Mothership Zeta might never have happened in the mod. You have to remember, in the mod there is no Courier without forcing him back in with a sub-mod.

From the faq: Q: Where is Courier Six? A: We are treating every main character past Vault Dweller to be less important than they are. This is to allow for players to craft Alt History playthroughs, and allow us to do our Historical Focuses. It also makes factions more important in the lore than single people.

Which is to say, Courier Six exists . . . But he's not THE Courier.

For the same reason, I suspect when they eventually get to the East Coast they'll decide to omit the existence of the Lone Wanderer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I kind of assumed the lone wanderer decided to go fuck off somewhere now that the brotherhood were doing decently and he had a spaceship. He probably doesn’t want to give them too much power - especially with how the west coast brotherhood and some east coast members behave. I never thought he was really pro-brotherhood. It’s more that he’s fighting for the people of the wasteland - and the Brotherhood, being as isolationist as it is, could easily become a threat to them. Their goals just temporarily aligned. Since there isn’t much lore on what he did after the game, I always assumed he either died, went into a coma once you stopped playing, or went off to another country / another planet on the mothership and decided not to share - this is perfectly in character for how most people play (the ones that try to do good).

Ardy and nobodez like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, Fallout America is a big place with a lot going on in it.

And for all the West Coast games, the East Coast survived with a lot more everything intact.

There are two sources of Psionics in fallout.

Exposure to FEV be it direct or the low level atmospheric that got released when the bombs fell, and leftover Old One shit.

The fact that he described it as technology, and mistook it as something belonging to the Zetan's, means it's leftover Old One shit.

They are known to crash from literally just flying through the atmosphere.

Cuchulin and fappingtoyourpost like this.
  30. thebishop8

I think you're missing the fact that Fallout isn't a DCverse.

Jaron and Mister_Potato like this.