1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Forced_Evolutionary_Virus

Short version? Artificial viral load that was supposed to adapt lifeforms to being immune to radiation - while that part works, when it's successful, the developers decided it would be a great idea (in typical Fallout fashion) to also make the recipients into the psychopathic general's perfect shock trooper - huge, stupid, and unreasonably strong. The anthropophagy may actually be an unintended side effect, but it's a damn common one.

2. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

I've found myself playing Desert Rangers, again and again, I always loved the idea of getting them to tell the NCR to kick rocks. I found myself using this mod which allows you to advance from Tribal to Civilized, or Civilized to Advanced. The Advanced decision requires 100 free civilian factories to use.

Ardy likes this.
  3. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Stupid was actually unintentional. Just look at Marcus.

nick012000 and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The explanation given in Fallout 1 is that Mariposa was hit during the war, spreading an unfinished version of the virus across the region. A lot of mutations happened as a result, and most local wastelanders have partial immunity to FEV as a result. Only people protected from that exposure can become Super Mutants and retain their full intelligence. Like Vault Dwellers.

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

HEY-OH!

Assuming there's more than one alien among the zetans, aliens'.

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The funny thing is, FEV works and is perfectly safe.

The problem with it was always the specific military strain of the virus that leads to super mutants in combination with radiation exposure.

8. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

So you never said how you would handle OL Paul appearing over Future War era Terminator Earth. You have any ideas?

9. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Who knows what kinds of restrictions Skynet v1 was operating under? Maybe it has a hard-coded restriction against killing prisoners, and thus has to intimidate other prisoners into doing the job for them?

10. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I think Skynet did a certain level of inefficiency because it hated humans. It made bipedal war forms that looked like metal skeletons. Having a machine death camp was both efficient in using human resources while still expending them.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Long version.

They created a virus that let them re-write a persons DNA, so there were a bunch of experiments done with it, one of which was military in nature, this specific strain of the virus was an attempt to create super soldiers that were super strong, super tough, ageless, and immune to both biological weapons and radiation.

It worked, perfectly.

Unfortunately there was the unintended side effect resulting from high radiation levels in the body prior to virus exposure causing a comparable loss of intelligence.

Which makes the whole thing super amusing because Paul with his ring could have used that strain to turn himself into Captain America 2.0.

Jaron and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat aside from dating Hela what else did Paul help her with?

Did he help her in finding a new way to treat the dead?

Find her souls like paragon did for Hades?

Has the Avenger version met Marvel Hades, aka Pluto, he knows Thor and Thor knows Hercules, plus Hela and Pluto were on that villain team in the comics?

DrThoth likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

We don't know enough about the world. If he could work out what was going on with a single scan, taking control of Skynet would be relatively easy. So that, I guess.
    It was about using her resources and motivating the dead to build something better.
    No.

14. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

Okay, I want more of the Old World Dudes story. That is interesting.

Galler and hance1986 like this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I ask 40K Paul when? But given that setting, and the lack of a power battery, I don't think he'd live long.

16. Mr Zoat

A few weeks, I think. And it turns out that he can charge slowly from the warp.

Turning up in orbit around Earth Terra was interesting.

As is knowing how to break into the Emperor's throne room.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  17. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

All these alt!Paul’s suddenly have me wondering what a Paul in one of the Gundam timelines would do. Become a Newtype/Innovator? Get accidentally drafted to Zeon’s cause before realizing that they’re not just fascists, but chaotic stupid fascists at that? Subvert Blue Cosmos’ goals? Stop the plot of AGE by preventing the war between Earth and Mars somehow? Open Laplace’s Box early, causing who knows what kind of butterflies in the UC timeline?

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Zoat are we going to see a 40k version of the SI in a few weeks?

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

My knowledge of 40k might very well be lacking, but that seems like something even a power ring wouldn't be able to do, or at least struggle heavily with, especially for a newbie-SI who doesn't have more esoteric skills yet. (though maybe Maltusian tech is just completely superior to the pinnacle of Imperium tech that would guard the throne room, I don't know for sure).

I believe there's also an SI in the Warhammer Fantasy universe (something to do with Black Fleets). Is there also one in Age of Sigmar?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

I don't know enough about Gundam to comment. The only one I ever watched was Gundam SEED and the story didn't seem to make sense.
    Turns out? It's actually reasonably easy. A excommunicated Inquisitor named Jaq Draco managed it with some digging equipment and a lot of patience. Basically, Terra has so many layers filled with dust underneath everything that you can get anywhere if you don't mind digging. The Emperor had to hide him when he actually got there, but he pierced the building on his own.
    Yes.
    The what?
    That's in the 'did not happen' bucket.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

What is the 40k SI doing if he is working for the Emperor?

DrThoth likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Quitting as fast as he can?

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good thing the 40k one didn't get a blue ring, he wouldn't find a power source in the entire galaxy and would probably lose control of his ring the moment he found out where he was.

24. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

[​IMG]

25. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I misremembered; the quote where I first learned about the WH Fantasy SI referred to Black Ark Corsairs, I believe.

26. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Oof. Yeah, for all that some fans claim that it was a retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam... it really wasn’t. Or at least not one that keeps the context. And when you add in the retcons, it starts to fall apart.

Most would recommend watching the original anime from 1979, and that it holds up against the test of time surprisingly well... The original UC timeline has the most content, and supposedly the most coherent timeline. This also means, however, that it has the most stuff you’d actually have to watch to fully understand the setting.

My recommendation, if you intend to actually get into it, is to pick one and stick with it. Each one has its own quirks- UC is the largest of the lot, and starts it all by being a deconstruction of the mecha genre, Mobile Fighter G Gundam is the most upbeat of them, with hot blooded mecha martial arts and over the top action being done specifically to change things up from Victory Gundam’s really depressing ending (and also has a scene in the final episode the literally moves people to tears), Mobile Report Gundam Wing is... Actually really faithful to the franchise’s themes, if you can get past the edgy protagonists being edgy before they have their character developments, Turn A is best left for last if you ever want to watch it, as it has one hell of a mindfuck at the end, you know how Gundam SEED turned out, and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is a deconstruction of Mobile Suit Gundam as a franchise. Yes, it’s a deconstruction of a deconstruction. We do not speak of Gundam AGE. And I have no opinion of Iron Blooded Orphans beyond really depressing.

Just keep in mind, that whichever one you want to watch, raving lunatics being in charge for no discernible reason beyond “charisma” and thinly veiled dick jokes are a staple of the franchise.

zerofarad and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  27. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

Can someone provide me with a link to to section where Marvel! Paul interacts with Hela. I have been trying to find it with little success.

Jormuungaand and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Boom.

29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

URGH! NO! NO! DONT EVEN MENTION THAT GENESTEALER-LUST RIDDLED BOOK!
    Ian Wattson gains more of the strength to escape his banishment to the warp every time its quoted as a serious source!
    if he gets free, he'll publish "Orgasmachine 2", and Slaneesh will reign!

(if you really want to know the context, here's a good chunk of the "if the emperor had a TTS device" current cast suffering through the book In-charicter so you dont have to alone: )

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which means his ring has been corrupted by Chaos.

By interesting you mean you would have to massively nerf the orbital defenses to keep them from instantly obliterating him like what happened the last time someone/something just randomly appeared in orbit of Terra.

What Zoat seemingly forgot here, is that the Emperor's throne room is warded.