1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

simpler
    mane

Grayven is really sinking his teeth into the ponies here... And, without even spilling a drop of blood! :)

Friendship conflicts, clone/twin murder... Wow! :)

I guess Grayven could offer (threaten) to add a Shadow Moon to the system, something ponies couldn't actually see, but would know was there... But, that's talking cosmological change...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Didn't find such a character on a quick googling. I'm docking points from this chapter unless I get proof that this drama wasn't original invention.

Gantradies, DAT_NOOB and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Grayven: "Uh..thanks dad?"

*turns the candy bar over*

Grayven: "Oh! Of course it says Anti-Life on the back of the wrapper. I knew it. Fuck you dad!"

Shit..now I'm picturing Darkseid handing out Anti-Life contaminated candy to little children.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, Simonbob and 14 others like this.
  4. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

We disconnected that phone because too many people were calling just to say “Nyah Nyah!”

5. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

So... Party Popper might be canonical?

Well done Zoat.

6. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

... hell, the real Pinkie could have been any of them.

If the spell only effected the clones, then there would have been no need for a test to filter them. She could have just blasted away until she found the real one.

The need for a test implies the spell used would have banished anypony hit to the pool.

.... why am I not surprised the most savage bit of Fridge Logic delivered in the fic so far is in the MLP chapter?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This was disturbing.
    But even this may not convince the girls to blast him because while what he did is cruel and hurtful they may view it as necessary because like Twilight said sometimes confronting your friends with a terrible reality is better than allowing them to live a lie. What he did is probably one of the worst things that anyone has ever done to them, but still not something that they may see as needing them to shoot him because again while cruel it was necessary as now Twilight may wait to see if someone is really sapient or not before killing them instead of potentially just killing them because they don't fit the definition of what constitutes sapient in her book.
    The renegade also did something like this with Sunset where he sent her to a warzone where she had to kill people in order to stop the fighting. She may not have liked it, but she also went through a portal to another universe of which she knew little about and had some tendencies to not listen to her superiors or teachers when they tried to warn her. The renegade actually asked her when she talked to him about this if she was going to ignore him and his advice like she did with Celestia.

Also Vaermina the renegade can use his divine nature to enhance his ring. When he and Will discovered the original Roy Harper, the place that was holding him had wards set up, but the renegade mentioned that by infusing his ring with some of his divine power allowed him to bypass the protections.
    Paul may be a better ring wielder, but the renegade does know a few tricks of his own.

Paul similarly isn't as affected by wards anymore, while he still may not be able to scan beyond them, he can see the emotions of the people and beings that the wards are preventing him from scanning and may be able to overpower the wards. He can scan through them but it requires a quintessence waveform scan, like when he tried find Amon.

8. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Hey, I got a mind plague and want to be friendship zapped.

... What do you mean you must wait until it is too late?

9. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Just chiming in, but isn't it not that the ring can't scan magic, but that a simple, low powered ward blocked the standard scan? Equestrian magic doesn't use magic arrays. Sunset would know about the ward, knows enough about Grayven to have invested in them, but probably wouldn't care enough about the rest of the ponies to tell them about the wards. Twilight could easily come up with the wards, but doesn't know enough about Grayven's abilities to bother looking. Clonnie Pie... Is an Earth Pony and so lacks the knowledge and ability to use those wards. Admittedly she's still a Pinkie so she could anyways, but....

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Pony names refer to things. Upon hearing 'Grayven', most ponies thing that his name is 'Graven', i.e. 'made of stone'.

Which is a joke that probably shouldn't work because of translation issues, but IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!
    Yes.
    Spree killer implies a level of indiscrimination to me.
    [​IMG]
    I think I stopped watching before that episode.

11. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

How about scanning for pink ponies in party-adjacent careers? I would have said DNA but I'm not sure if rings can scan for that.

Soft agree on the second part though.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That's how he found Talia Al'Ghul in the first place, and then from that found Ra's.

14. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You should find a photo of a fireplace, photoshop the word "conquest" onto the mantlepiece, and post the result whenever that comes up.

15. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Read the faq. READ THE FAAAAAQ

16. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

As fun as it is to meme about her maybe killing the real Pinkie Pie, I think they're pretty safe.

The clones didn't even know the name of the pony they were cloned from, and were constantly getting the names of other ponies wrong. Which also means a much simpler test would have just been asking them friendship questions.

Like, even if it worked in the end, I don't really get why watching paint dry was the test.

=============

Also, Imagine if instead of freaking out Twilight just went, "Oh, good. I didn't realize I missed one."

[​IMG]

17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Wow I didn't see that one coming and pinkie pie is worse than twilight?

At this point I don't know what to expect from the others... Because theft seems so pedestrian now.

18. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Kinda got to agree on the bashing accusation.
    This isn’t merely assuming that nothing happens off-screen, it is actively changing the world so the actions of the characters are objectively worse.

Spike is fully literate, numerate and reasonably well informed about the world around him. He manifestly has been educated, whether by Twilight or someone else. He also spent much of his life in the palace. AKA the centre of government. If child services somehow wasn’t aware of him then they really don’t deserve their jobs.

The mining rights issue, apart from being made up whole cloth by the author, is rather muddied by the assault, kidnapping and enslavement crimes of the Diamond Dogs.

The mirror pool horror relies on Twilight Sparkle, highly educated bibliophile and rules obsessed perfectionist, not knowing the ethics of whether a magically created creature is considered a person. Between VR comic books, ancient artefacts, voodoo potions etc it cannot be that rare an occurrence. If nothing else the Mirror Pool itself was famous enough that Pinkie knew the activation ritual.

It will be interesting to see if Grayven gets a ‘nuke to the face’ moment here. Or possibly another ‘you destroyed a person and doomed a country, fix it’ situation.

19. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

This pretty much fits my expectations for this scenario. We're a long way from the simple "guy with an orange ring" the fic was at the start.

Darko likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

No, that was her genuine response. See the yellow text.
    Thank you, corrected.
    You mean the arrest-and-being-sentenced-to-hard-labour?
    You'll note that she didn't make any effort to help the fully realised characters in the comic either.

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh heavens no. I already do this enough to tease him. If he did that, people would be pressing the big red button all the time.

Gilhelmi, DAT_NOOB, Sceptic and 4 others like this.
  22. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

So, I'm wondering how Grayven is going to escalate from this. Giving Spike temporary access to his Orange Lantern Ring, as a way of demonstrating how they've neglected to teach Spike how to handle his draconic nature and magic? Like, I don't think that Spike ever got into real legal trouble from his greed-powered rampage, but I'm not sure if just calling the cops on him would be sufficient.

Other than that, though, I'm not seeing any other events that are particularly significant; a couple of instances of theivery, for instance, or out of control magic wreaking havoc, but nothing too major.

Wild Transient, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  23. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

That actually very possible after all:
    -He proved that the bearer of the element of Magic wasn’t as well versed in magic then she thought and was blinded by her own knowledge, unwilling to think herself wrong and innocent ponies(clones) died because of that.
    -He proved that the bearer of the element of Generosity was blinded by her own greed and stole from other peoples without being punished, even if she didn’t know that.
    -He proved that while her own clones were massacred (even if she didn’t know) the Bearer of the element of Laughter was still laughting (that one is a bit of a stretch i know but you understand what i’m trying to say, i doesn’t matter if it’s accurate if they believe it happened like that)

if the bearer of the element end up losing their faith in the side of the element of harmony that they represent then it’s possible that it end up severing their connection to their elements, of course i’m not Mr Zoat and that just what i think.

24. Chaoswind

Huh so the baby dragon actually does something beyond burning letters and having an odd interest on the species that raised him?

25. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

No signs to indicate the boundary. Attacked from ambush. ‘Sentenced’ without trial of any sort.

If your only law is might-makes-right then you forfeit any legal standing when faced with someone stronger.

In what way were they ‘fully realised’? They were characters adapting within their role. No particular evidence they were sophonts just because they had backstory and motivation to extrapolate reactions from.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  26. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Seems unlikely to me. It is indeed possible since I have watched precisely 1 episode of MLP and don't know the specifics of this event but if a competent ruler had multiple enclaves of ethnically different people, who not only have no extradition treaty with you but also do not have trials or courts or potentially even a modern government then you should probably put serious warnings around their reservations.

The third paragraph of the linked article it possibly a better way to deal with the Diamond Dogs, but I might be misestimating their civilisation's legal status. The other option here is that Celestia runs a worse government than India.

This is certainly possible, however as we see in this fiction she has laws similar to those in modern western democracies and agencies to carry those laws out such as Child Protective Services, a Department of Aboriginal Affairs (most likely, otherwise who is going to recognise the Diamond Dog justice system?) and at least an Attorney General which presumes other judges and potentially a whole, thus far unseen, judicial branch of the Equestrian government.

This suggests at least that Celestia wants to do good, from a modern western perspective, so why does all this clone-murder not get reported? If you are going forward with the idea that Celestia's government is incompetent at the least then by building all these agencies and governmental branches you are somewhat trapping yourself here I think. Celestia is probably the head of state and government but she does have other people to manage the day to day running of law, are they all incompetent or is it just that diamond dogs have especially poor representation, such that not even the apple family knew they owned the land nearby?

Presumably she got told about the mass clone killing but just assumed that a child prodigy, with well known psychological issues with empathy would have checked for sapience and consciousness first? If that were the case though what is the check for consciousness? i'm sure Grayven's DC could use that test.

Did Mayor Mare not think the whole event was odd enough to look into? Are there police departments outside of Canterlot, do none of them have magical detectives? If Celestia is stupid fine, but this direction I think needs to find all ponies stupid pretty shortly. Which is why I refer to the bearers as children because I think all of the ponies have the emotional and intellectual abilites of children, some of them very smart children but children nonetheless.

Edit: Imagine a species that didn't reach mental maturity until after their bodies wore out from age, seems like a cool sci-fi premise. Still I think Celestia deserves a bit more credit than she is getting, or else the whole society needs overhauling.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shhh!! The nu52 writers will hear you!

Gilhelmi, DAT_NOOB, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  28. Chaoswind

I think the idea is that not even they believed the diamond dogs had a claim to that land until they were made aware of a very old law in regards to the status of tribal species and their rights and its even implied most other species had integrated to equestrian a long time ago and were under the purview of their laws. So the issue is that the diamond dogs didn't integrate and the bureaucracy kinda forgot about it. That is understandable because even if they have a lot of departments their record keeping is extremely medieval.

Rarity is unlikely to face much punishment beyond giving the dogs an apology and payment for the gems she extracted. The thing with spike is a nothing burger for the most part, the extermination of magical clones is a much bigger issue in regards to morality, but I am unsure if pony legislation and laws are build to handle them, thus twilight isn't going to face legal troubles but more like moral ones. Grayven better speed down a notch otherwise he is going to break the maggufin he wants to use to kill the anti-life.

In short, 'you broke it hero'.

29. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Wait, wait, wait. Why do Flim and Flam need machinery then? They could just find a nice hardworking person and then mirror pool a few hundred more people with no rights and either dispose of them at the end of the day or sell them as slaves. Again Mayor Mare and all other townsfolk for as long as the mirror pool was known about now have to be dumb enough to not think of this idea, and if they are innately more social or moral than humans in general then most ponies would never do something like this but supposed "adult intelligence ponies" would legislate about this, or at least put big warning signs or fill in the pool.

I think the answer here is that the Elements of Harmony or Harmony itself is in cahoots with Boss Smiley the avatar of writers being unable to process magic in their settings.

WhiteNoise, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I like 'Twilight Killer' for a murder pony name better.