1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

His cutie mark is ham and the containment is failing on the anti-life fragment.
    Diabolical and Desperation lead to interesting situations.

well there is only one force in equestrian that can stop Grayven now.

So you finally brought out the Elements.

No We brought out the Cutie mark crusaders!

You know we could avoid all this if you'd just use the elements.

2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You speak as if the ever free forest is a city park in the middle of town. Instead to being wild lands with many dangerous creatures and dangers.

Gilhelmi, nick012000 and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Fair enough, so there are no spells that make clones and no natural magic that mimics this effect anywhere else in the principality. I can also believe that nobody before Pinkie had ever used the mirror pool as well but its another thing to strain my suspension of disbelief. In fact I suspect that any of the bearers other than Pinkie and perhaps Dash would have used the mirror pool to improve their productivity.

Totally legal, also everyone would think it was cheating and would want some kind of legal ruling. If Applejack knew how to make like 30 copies of herself to increase the size of her farm thirtyfold do you think she would do it? Here's first party confirmation on Rarity at least from earlier in the thread.

4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

No but can detect a pony with color and dimensions. Also finding another with her DNA would be more proof they're real.

5. Doccer

Hence why Mr Zoat said Grayven had to boom tube around instead of scan the planet.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Neither did the buffalo, yet the local ponies admitted that they used to run through where they built their orchard.
    Police are not obliged to let criminals duel for their freedom.
    The dogs are a tribal society and she was caught red-hoofed.
    So you agree that Rarity doesn't have the right to what she stole?

7. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

You say she stole it after finding it with her own magic and having Spike help her dig it up.
    Nowhere in canon it says she did.

Hell, when she was asked to help them find some with her magic she was happy to oblige.
    Even more, we only ever see like 5 of them, that's not even representative of a potential goverment.
    They could have been asshole teenagers for all we know.

8. Doccer

Also Bane's father.

9. Doccer

What comic?

10. Chaoswind

As far as the wiki seem to imply visiting the forest is taboo and many dangers exist in it, I see no reason to believe anyone aside its residents would visit it more than when it is absolutely necessary. Also since the harmony tree is in the forest the forest could very well be considered restricted to anyone outside those granted special dispensation by the "crown", that minimizes the pool of 'people' that could use the magic clone pool to less than a dozen at this point in the timeline, ergo its completely believable for pinkie to be the only person to have used the pool recently.

In regards to no one using it to their advantage, we would have to assume doing so without Celestia permission would be a breach of trust, the forest is under the administration of the crown... It would be like going to a national park to set an oil extraction operation to be rich... You can try, but don't expect the law to go easy on you after such a breach.

11. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Guys there is no point in arguing with Zoat about this. He is going to use whatever interpretation he feels like best fits his story whether it is remotely correct or not. He is perfectly okay with smashing the setting and ruining characters you should have seen that by now all over the paragon side. Yes we had hope that the renegade was better and more enjoyable but like all authors everything eventually returns to form. So we just have to enjoy what we can and what it is.

12. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Wait wait wait! It took a while to hit me but well... it strikes me there a pinkie pie who just found out no where in equestria is far enough away to avoid Twilight, who was picked up and protected by Grayven. Maybe earth would be far enough away? And grayben has already shown willingness to recruit ponies. And protect her.

Grayven might just have got himself an element bearer of his own.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

To reiterate something I pointed out about the actual episode a few hours ago.

The Mirror Clones weren't stable.

WereDragon likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

I have decided that this episode will end with a musical number.

15. Chaoswind

Why are you punishing me....

I guess if Grayven uses ring aid to improve his showmanship that could make it interesting.

16. Mr Zoat

As far as I remember, Pinkie Pie learned about the Mirror Pool from her granny and no one else knew about it.
    If I walk into your house because you left the door unlocked your TV doesn't become mine because I had to carry it out.

Also, in America, if you were in there then you could legally shoot me dead.
    A prisoner doesn't get to choose which parts of the sentence they complete.
    True, but that group are all the Diamond Dogs we ever see.
    Possible. However, some of their henchhounds had steel armour. That's not a small expense in the time period of the setting.
    In one episode the Bearers and Spike are sucked into a magical comic and given the parts of a superhero team. This creates the old holodeck issue: how intelligent are the NPCs I'm interacting with?

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

constructs

less

Parliament only has that power because the monarch said they do.

The post you were replying to also specifically did say 'actual' monarchies, as opposed to e.g. democratic monarchies.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's not exactly true in the British context. There was a civil war, which made the next monarch a lot more inclined to listen to parliament. And then Queen Victoria stopped working after Prince Albert's death, resulting in a lot of royal powers being assumed by parliament.

19. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Why do I see this leading to the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting godhood in the end and making things even more crazy to deal with since Grayven can ascend people. Think of the tree sap mess that would cause...

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's the lazy writer trap.

See, at the end of the day it's just a lot easier for a writer to use their powers as the writer to tear a setting down so as to make their SI look awesome then it is to work within a setting to do the same.

Enochi likes this.
  21. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

It's not clear how well-known the Mirror Pool is. There's no real path leading to it, it's hidden away in a cave underground, and the only reason Pinkie knew about it was because her grandmother (who is mentioned a few times in the early seasons but stops getting mentioned basically after this) told her a fairy tale kind of story about it when she was a child. She was going off of those.

It's also not clear if Pinkie actually told anyone other than Twilight where the pool was. And I can see Twilight keeping that a secret for various reasons.

22. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kind of this.

I mean, Paul's thing has always been being an asshole. The thing is, he usually sticks around dealing with the effects of his assholery, so being an asshole to Superman for his costume or Artemis for using a pointy stick launcher is mitigated a bit by it being an ongoing storyline and character development.

A drive-by "Let me rub the characters' noses in how a children's cartoon has logic issues" just feels pretty gratuitous, especially as it seems so unnecessary to me. Making a real attempt to get across to them the seriousness of the matter, going over their heads to Luna, or just flat-out actually threatening them, all seem like the much more obvious choices.

Considering he actually knows the psychological levers to push, pushing the levers that traumatize them rather than pushing the ones that get him what he wants seems moustache-twirling villain dumb.

It's a shame, since I enjoyed the Grayven/Sunset interactions and had been looking forward to this arc.

This reads to me like the mindbogglingly dumb Harry Potter fics which are all about the author making up a bunch of laws, and then bashing the fuck out of the authority figures for breaking the laws that he just made up, all so that his favorite character can get "justice".

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remember when I described the renegades action in the previous chapter as a less horrifying version of what Rick's ship did to all those people?

This is what the ship would have done if it went to Equestria.

24. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

Out of curiosity, did Zoat say he wouldn’t include the Spectre and Lucifer in this fanfic? I think he mentioned it a while ago.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  25. Doccer

Oh right I forgot about that. Thx

Navi-Hank likes this.
  26. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Look at all of the things that have to have happened in order for your interpretation of the Diamond Dogs situation to be correct:
    • Sometime in the distant past, both the Equestrian and Diamond Dog governments would have to have been competent enough to sign a treaty demarcating territorial rights.
    • In the intervening centuries, everyone in both societies would have to be incompetent enough both to forget the treaty existed (until the SI came around to be the Great White Emancipator and find this treaty) and to never maintain any sort of border signs.
    • The Apple family, who have been farming Zap Apples near the Everfree for centuries and thus heavily invested in knowing all about who owns what territory, are also incompetent enough to not know about Diamond Dogs and their territory in the area.
    When your extrapolation of events requires specific groups of people alternating between competent and incompetent at specific strategic points, none of which is indicated by the story you're extrapolating from, then it's fairly obvious you're introducing much more complexity than is required. Occam's Razor makes mincemeat of this whole storyline.

It makes much more sense to infer that the Diamond Dogs are itinerant miners, and that none of these territorial issues were ever considered until the Dogs and the Ponies came into contact a relatively short time ago. But of course that would mean that Grayven couldn't rub everyone's face in how much better he is at lawyering than a bunch of teenagers, so instead we have the tortured situation we have now.

27. Mr Zoat

Wrong.

In this story, the relevant law is an Equestrian law. No mention was made of the Dogs agreeing to it. No mention is made of any treaty. The best argument against such a law being canonical is that settlement of Appleoosa would have been illegal if it existed, but 700 years is easily enough time to forget a law. It only took 300 years for the British parliament to forget some rather important provisions in the 1689 Bill of Rights.

Ponyville was founded when Granny Smith was a filly. At most, the Apple family has been harvesting zap apples for four generations. We aren't provided with information on how long ponies live, but that's not centuries. More like seventy years.

The Dogs live underground and don't appear to build on the surface. How would the Apples have met them?
    Certainly possible.
    Well... Yes, that was why he went to see a lawyer and checked things.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  28. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

I don't get why people are still arguing over this?

I mean Zoat doesn't give a shit about being reasonable with characters. All he wants to do is take a shit on MLP for the most part to try make himself aka Grayven look better.

I mean don't get me wrong it can be entertaining and it was more prevalent in the Paragon branch but I don't get why people thought he wouldn't shit on MLP when the opportunity presented itself. Well I take that back. I did have some hope at the start of the arc cause Grayven has been more fun but I can't say that I am surprised it turned to this. So if the author doesn't care why should you?

TheEyes, Cuchulin and Titanacoracy101 like this.
  29. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Apologies in advance, but I don't typically keep up on the weekends.

From Equestrian Girls part 8

What I'm about to do, I'm guessing.

And part 9
    How do they do that?

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.