1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Zoat confirmed as a Pinkie Pie fan.

Cuchulin and dogbertcarroll like this.
  2. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, you're right, I totally derped that up. Alan's still OP as heck, best Space Grandpa, plz no nerf.

3. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Which shows he is a man of culture and taste as the only pony better than Pinkie is Derpy.

4. JosephDye

JosephDye Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

HI! I've been off the bandwagon for a few years? Is there any up to date epubs of the story? Thank you in advanced!

Belenus likes this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

6. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

A race of virtue
    against monstrosity

I dismissed the dream-image of my bipedal form so that my newly-palliated succupire children can cuddle up to my pony form instead. Oh, this was a good day.

"We do not understand. You put these.. young creatures in cages, and they embrace you."

"They're hybrids of two predatory species. The first subsists purely on human blood. The second feeds.. in a variety of ways, but mostly on the souls of their victims. These children were trapped on an island with nothing to feed on but each other." Luna looks increasingly perturbed. "Whenever one started puberty their starving younger siblings would devour them. I recovered the survivors and put them in cages so that they wouldn't be driven to either eat each other or anyone else. I left them in there until I learned enough about how they worked to create a potion to suppress their instincts, and then I enabled-"

There's a flash of purple as I gain a purple jewel from whatever mad process regulates Equestrian harmony magic.

"-them to live as normal children."

I press my muzzle into dream-Bethany's hair and snort, eliciting a dream-laugh. Then I stand, their images fading away.

"Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why'? Because I could. Because I had the resources. Because things like that shouldn't happen to anyone and I could fix it. As much as it could be fixed. Okay, loyalty next."

What's the best example of loyalty..? Actually, when.. have I acted against my own interests due to a freely accepted obligation? I generally try to arrange things so that I don't encounter that sort of conflict. Giving Talia to Batman? No, that was more because I didn't want to start a fight with him…

Ah.

I march down the corridor with Luna on my tail -metaphorically- and step out through the door into the gazebo of the Alan Scott Memorial Garden. As it will be once all of the plants have reached full size.

Luna spots the main statue even as I allow my memories of the visitors to cause the phantasms of playing children and sombre mourners to flicker in and out of being.

"Who was he?"

"One of my instructors. Good man, but… We didn't have much in common, and he was very old when we first met. I tried to secure the materials he needed to extend his life further, but regrettably I was a little late in returning. And to do that-"

A red jewel appears on my barding.

"-I had to confront the one who gave me the Anti-Life fragment."

"And defeat him?"

"And ask nicely."

I look back and the statue has changed to one of Darkseid.

"Darkseid. The Apokoliptian New God of Tyranny. He terrifies me." I concentrate and Alan's statue returns. "Kindness, laughter, generosity and loyalty."

"Honesty is next."

Yes, it… Is, isn't it?

"How about you take a turn?"

"You have but two to go. You can-."

"And you've got six to go and I don't need your help to be honest!"

"It's true! He doesn't! He said so-"

A mauve mare with cauliflower ears prances through the ghost-crowd, a snake-tongue flicking between her lips.

"-himself, so it must be true!"

I brace for an attack, while Luna merely blinks and then nods.

"We suppose that it is not in his interests to lie."

I reach up with my right forehoof and shove her in the left shoulder.

"Luna, I was obviously lying. I don't know what these things are, but they're affecting the way you think."

She shudders for a moment, focusing her mind and incidentally picking up her green sigil at the same time.

"We demand that you tell Us who you are!"

"Yelling Fool!"

Hah!

Luna scowls. "You will regret insulting Us, oh baleful fragment of malediction!"

"I will?! Okay!"

"No, Luna, I think that's her name. And she's a distraction."

"I thought I was a pony! Can I be both?!"

"Luna, pick-."

The ground -and Yelling Fool- drops away and the gazebo morphs into a chariot. Day turns to night as we descend through the sky and land in Ponyville.

"Nightmare Night." Fragments of the events of that evening flash before our eyes. "The first day 'pon which We dared to believe that We might one day walk amongst Our subjects without engendering fear or contempt. Except intentionally."

There's a brief blue flash on her peytral as the blue sigil appears, and we watch her phantasmal self getting seen off by the Ponyville crowd.

"This leaves love, compassion, avarice and hatred, doth it not?"

"Hate and anger." I frown. "Do these Anti-Life inspired pony phantasms mean anything to you, or are they just trying to get you to reject the Elements?"

"We are uncertain. But We doubt that it changes Our approach." She flicks her mane and flaps her wings, rising into the air and flying towards… Whitetail Woods. The non-monster-infested woodland abutting Ponyville. "We will attempt love next."

I flap after her. "I've got plans tomorrow evening, but after-."

"Thy tiresome lechery amuses Us not."

"Not even a little? I got my laughter badge."

"For laughing at a child when he resisted your threats."

"No, that wasn't it. I put a fair bit of effort into acquiring those weapons, took some risks… And I didn't get them because of something I didn't even take into consideration. The joke was on me."

She glances back over her shoulder for a moment before coming in to land. A small clearing and a small… Fort? Fortified house? I see a grey unicorn with a blue cloak and pointed wizard-hat. Both are decorated with stars and bells. Starswirl the Bearded, then.

"And why would you lie?"

"To encourage you to see things a particular way. To see me in a particular way. But in this case it's actually true. Heck, you can ask Richard about it once-"

The Starswirl phantasm glances back at the door as two fillies… Oh, that's what they looked like when they were younger. Young Celestia and Luna trot out and nuzzle him before dashing off into the woods. There's a small violet flare as Luna gets the violet sigil.

"-we're.. done here. Starswirl?"

"We were being taught how to use the strongest magics in ponydom, that we might fight and overcome Discord, and secure this land for all harmony-loving creatures. It was needful, but he was not blind to the fact that we were boisterous fillies. We felt much love in this house."

She shakes her head.

"Now, compassion."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  7. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, at this point I have no idea what’s going on but I’m enjoying myself all the same.

8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

She's collecting all the rings, to become Captain Planet.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Man, imagine if he brought the kiddies here. The girls would be in heaven!

It sounds terrible, but it really was for their own good.

Taking a moment to strengthen himself with Love, eh?

Because whatever his motivation, he wants to fix things, make them better for everyone.

Bit hard for the New God of 'Conquest' to be loyal to anything but himself, isn't it? Loyalty to his vassals isn't the same as suborning himself to something greater... But...

Good to see he hasn't abandoned Alan's memory, despite his failure to save him.

...Loyalty does come in more forms than simple vassalhood, after all.

No, not in His place of power, with an entire world willing to die for Him.

And a good way for Luna to see the danger of Darkseid for herself. I wonder what she thinks of him? Some strange Troll or Ogre, seeking power for its own sake?

Ah, the big sticking point. Friendship shouldn't be too hard for him.

Well, maybe he needs a break.

Oh, gods. It's a Monty Python reference.

And it's an Anti-Life vector too? Insidious!

Glad someone's keeping their head. Presumably the magic of the Tantabus makes it easier for her to be affected.

I have no doubt that's a completely suitable name for some jester or jackanapes.

Boy, it's happy to agree with anything, isn't it?

Seriously, did Pinkie Pie sneak in here somehow?

And an event that turned out well for her, in the end.

Which would weaken her severely, I suppose.

Seriously, Grayven, I don't think she's interested. Besides, I doubt it would work out. Just the physical logistics of it, really!

And made it look easy, too.

Makes a lot of sense, really.

Hmm... Would Robin become a Pegasus or an Earth Pony? A Unicorn for his brains, maybe?

I'm sure they were adorable little bundles of lankiness.

That might be difficult, depending on her mood... How does she see her subject, after all?

And the Vision quests continue apace. While the Tantaquation slowly pursues, throwing obstacles at them. This really does feel a bit like an episode of the show, doesn't it?

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think the most honest thing Grayven has done was when he threw the anti-life into the source wall and said "I am paul."

11. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

A bit like the pilot in particular.

12. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Hm, now there's an interesting thought: this whole episode is taking place inside Grayven's head. What would happen if he tried to say his full name right now?

zerofarad, Ngamer11, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

It feels like this is going way too fast. I mean, Grayven, yes, he has experience with this sort of thing, also meta-knowledge of the show.

But Luna? Her entire background is trouble with negative emotions and here she is, glomping the rainbow in record time.

On the other hand, they are still in dreamspace, which probably makes it easier. Still...

14. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I'd rather see Luna as Sailor Moon rather than Captain Mullet.

15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

In my head the soundtrack from the Buffy Musical is playing right now.

You wacky Brits and your funky made up phrases.
    Bubble and squeak, eh? Hickory Dickery Dock!

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It would be hilarious if the they aren't actually doing anything of meaning and the only reason the sigil's/gems are appearing is that they are dreaming that they should appear.

17. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

What, Grayven's never had a moment of brutal honesty with a friend?

WhiteNoise likes this.
  18. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, Grayven needs to remember all the times he used honest observation to be a massive tool instead of just trolling with lies and quarter-truths.

19. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

Nah. Because just about every conversation he's had since he arrived in DC has had layers of dishonesty in it. Even before he started stealing Grayven's identity he was lying about his age, and a conversation isn't Honest if one party has deliberately mislead the other about who they are.

I think the person who brought up the scene at the Source Wall probably had the right of it, that's the most honest he's been in this story. Even if it was just with himself.

Gantradies, Jaron, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  20. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

It'd mean they're kinda fucked so I'm not sure 'hilarious' is the right word but it would be rather darkly amusing.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Na, it just means they would have to be saved by an outside force.

Which because it would be Pony's doing the saving would be sufficiently humbling to make the entire thing doubly hilarious.

22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I like to think it was with the source

23. RichardWhereat

24. Grek

Grek (she/her)

I don't think that's the kind of honesty that the elements of harmony are looking for.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

No, no. Grayven was most honest when he met up with Jade months after their breakup. He communicated that the end of that relationship and the way Jade turned a knife on him were horribly painful. Traumatizing. Being honest was like ripping open a hole in his chest, but he told the truth to Jade instead of hiding behind his usual attitude.

Although there’s probably a moment of honesty he shared with Lynne that fits the bill.

26. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

their was "I am a very angry man" and the conversation where he admits he could renege on the lantern deal at any moment, but "it feels too much like losing"

DAT_NOOB, DrThoth and CTrees like this.
  27. RichardWhereat

Nah, definitely the Jade one. It shows him in a romantic light, introspective, vulnerable, and also available for wriggling.

28. ryosathowser

ryosathowser Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

The captain planet remark reminded me of these lovely little nuggets.
    I had all but forgotten them, thank you for the unexpected reminder RichirdWhereat.

Head cannon for life.

RichardWhereat and BBJimmy like this.
  29. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

More like Captain White Lantern.

nick012000 and RichardWhereat like this.
  30. RichardWhereat

Anyone know what Grayven looks like these days? Is there fanart of him?

DrThoth likes this.