1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manga Rec Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Selias, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

So, some other recs.

Let's start out with Beauty and the Beast Girl, a WAFFy yuri manga between a blind girl and a monster girl. It's one part slice of life and one part romance, and most of it is so sweet you'd get diabetes.

All-Rounder Meguru and Teppu are both my favorites as far as Martial Arts manga go, mainly due to just how well researched most of it is. All-Rounder Meguru is a manga about Meguru, a former karate practitioner who does MMA to keep in shape, and his slow progress towards becoming a pro. It's also the story of his former childhood friend, and his attempts towards revenge against the man who killed his ex-Yakuza father.

Teppu is an interesting one. A completed manga, it covers this girl, Ishidou Natsuo, who's always been good at whatever she tries, and her entry into the world of women's MMA. She's not a nice character, and it's admitted and explicitly stated that had Teppu been a normal manga, Natsuo would be the rival or villain or antagonist that the main character would face at a climactic battle. Coincidentally, Teppu also has such a protagonist, a works-her-ass-off hard-working girl named Mawatori Yuzuko. Also, everyone who fights Yuzuko agrees that there's something fucked up with that girl. Natsu just wants to beat her face in. Natsuo may or may not also have the yandere hots for her.

There's also Torako! Don't Break Everything! A comedy ecchi manga about Torasawa Aiko—nickname Torako—a shy new transfer student in a school full of delinquents, who also happens to be strong enough to destroy a building with her bare hands. Also bears, but only the really little Japanese brown bears, you see! Clothing damage is also very, very common. If you like shy, busty amazons, then this is something you should check out.

Rough Sketch Senpai is a sadly discontinued manga that's still worth checking out. Basically, this one delinquent ends up as the model for her junior, a member of the art club and an art otaku who doesn't seem to understand his pretty senpai might not have the same enthusiasm for art as he does. While there's very little nudity or accidental pervert situations, it's still a fun comedy manga for anyone who's interested.

Speaking of art, have you heard of Arte? A manga about a 16th century noble girl named Arte who wants to be an artist—name seems a bit too on the nose, but who am I to complain. Unfortunately, this is the Renaissance we're talking about here. Pretty much no Atelier will accept her as their apprentice. But being the determined girl she is, Arte manages to secure herself an apprenticeship in a one-man Atelier run by an artist named Leo. It's a good manga with a solid art style, and there's surprisingly not so much focus on the actual techniques as there is on the lifestyle of a Renaissance era artist.

Of course, as far as art styles go, I've yet to find any manga as good as Witch Hat Atelier in that regards. I could wax poetic about its Fairy tale-esque art style, but I won't. I'll just say that the art style is just very, very, very, very, very good. It's a lot like the illustrations you'd find in fairy tales, but with the addition of cutesy moe characters. Onto its plot! It's plot is mainly about this girl, Coco, who loves magic and Witches. One day, a Witch named Qiffrey accompanies a group of noble women to Coco's village on a flying carriage. The carriage's wheel accidentally breaks, and Coco manages to see Qiffrey perform magic to fix the carriage. Later that night, she draws some magic (yeah, magic is drawn in this universe, as in literally drawn using a pen and magical ink), one of which ends up accidentally turning her mother and house into stone. Thankfully, Qiffrey managed to get her out before the magic took hold. With this comes Coco's introduction to the world of Witches and magic, and of the evil Brimmed Hats, criminal Witches that broke the rules of magic, as decided upon by the ancient Witches. It's a very interesting series with a very carefully thought out world to explore and extremely hard magical system (the basics of it are revealed in something like chapter 3? And these rules are basically absolute, to the extent that much of the drama involves the various characters exploiting the rules of magic to succeed). One example of how strict this magic is? If the ink the Witches use to draw magic is smeared or gets wet, it's basically non-functional.

Nawaf, Anonnermus, tilkau and 2 others like this.
  2. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Hmmm... in all honesty I have too many Mangas that I liked to recommend them all... still let's see for some of the obvious ones..

Ojojojo: Rich arrogant girl wants to be friends with her classmates, but doesn't know how to act due to having gotten used to being all arrogant-look-down assholish because of reasons. Meets incredibly weird boy with a strange fashion sense, odd likings and who just doesn't seem to care about her attitude at all. Adorable lovey-dovey-ness begins. Seriously, this story is like freaking diabetes after a while..

Magico: Girl meets boy, boy is super wizard, girl has world ending doomsday device of magic sealed within her. Love and shenanigans ensue as the boy tries to seal away the same doomsday power. It is rather weird, and the magic can be rather ridiculous, but it gets the romance down quite great. Cannot say too much more without giving spoilers, but it has a really unique world and a very fantastic art style.

Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi. Ongoing manga, but only every so often updated. It is about a special city where descendants of the 12 families based on the Chinese animal zodiac rule the land. Now, I believe they are literally the descendants of these 12 individuals, because they get power from the god of the land and fight Yokai etc... regardless, story focuses on the heir of the Rat family, who holds the power of domination that forces anyone to obey their commands. The protagonist doesn't want to be heir and is looked down upon by the family for certain reasons. He then runs into a descendant of the cat family, which became a Yokai monster fuelled by hate for the Nekuni/Rat family and everything to do with the 12 families. And there starts a rather interesting love story mixed with some action and comedy.

Koe no Katachi: Serious story, extremely depressing at times but also heartwarming at other times. Foolish boy acts dumb and plays around, when a deaf girl joins his class he and everyone else in class start bullying her in ever more over-the top manners. In the end, he is the one singled out as a scapegoat by the teacher and everyone in class acts like they were totally innocent. Years later, he understands just what he had done and plans to try his best to make up for it... with finality. Not for the faint of heart, this manga made me cry and want to strangle both the main character and a number of the side-characters at a alter point in the story.

Older Stories, Possibly Fueled Partially by Nostalgia and Personal Taste

Mx0: The Platinum standard for harem comedy from what I remember. Boy ends up in magic school by accident, steals teachers S-Rank magic item and ends up mistaken for some kind of epic magic genius. School director gives him a special item that lets him use anti-magic but only within a scare foot or so. What follows is probably one of the most epic over the top series of Xanatos gambits I can remember with the protagonist using his limited ability to neutralise magic to fake himself being some kind of epic magician. All while working towards being accepted as a full student so he will be given a proper magic card to use real magic.

Karin: Also known as "Chibi Vampire" in the english version I believe. It goes like this, the protagonist is the daughter of a family of vampires while being literally the worst vampire ever. Loves garlic, cannot sleep during the day and has healthy coloured pink skin. All vampires of her sort drink blood, but they specifically eat "Emotions" or "Aspects with each vampire having a unique taste for something. For example, the protagonist's older brother drinks "Stress" while her mother drinks "Liars/Dishonesty". The protagonist discovers her affinity with a young man as "Unhappines/Depression", something she thinks is rather uncool but pretty useful because if she drinks from you, you get to suddenly be all positive and energetic. Unfortunately it turns out instead of drinking blood, she discharges it since she produces too much. (If she gets too excited, she gets a veeeery over the top nosebleed that can actually look rather scary..)

I should warn you that the Anime and Manga are very different, sort of like Rosario Vampire anime vs. manga. The Anime is more focused on slice of life and comedy with a bit of seriousness and action towards the later parts and a happy ending. The manga on the other hand can be far more serious and dark and has a rather depressing (though not full on bad) ending. The author is the same one as Hekikai no AiON, which plays in the same universe I believe and has a similarly tragic ending.

Edit:

There is also Erementar Gerad: Very Shonen, old school type in a lot of way but with a twist due to the romance between the main couple being a big focus. The heroine is from a special race with long life and the ability to transform into weapons Soul Eater style, but only when contracted with someone (Which is for life). Again, it is very Shonen for a long time, but the story gets surprisingly serious and even touching at the later parts of the story. Sadly, the ending feels a bit rushed and while there is an Anime, they changed some keyparts, cut it short and modified the ending. Always felt like the ending of the Manga was supposed to have some parts from the anime, but never managed to get everything set up before the finale. Probably not something for everyone, but I loved it. And Ren is absolutely adorable.

Has a very short pseudo-sequel with different characters called Erementar Gerad: Blue Flag, but it never got very far, at least translation wise. Shame, looked like it could be interesting..

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Girl's Last Tour.
    Jeez, I read a sad manga on the internet last night and I'm still feeling melancholy at dinnertime today.

[​IMG]

Typical cutesy artstyle for a manga that depicts something not cute, but unlike the recent stuff like Madoka or Made in Abyss (the thing it's often compared to due to artstyle) there's no horrific secret waiting in the third episode, or gory ultraviolence about to happen to these children.
    Hell, the worst injury either of the characters takes is that something falls on Chito's foot and she can't drive for a couple of issues.

The series wears it's premise on the sleeve. Two young children surviving/travelling through a destroyed city after the end of the world.
    I don't even know if I'd call it a sad story, because the characters are often happy and full of life, it's just the world around them is so desolate and ruined.

As for the ending... I don't even know. Without going into spoilers, they got to where they wanted to get after lots of struggle and hardship, and they found what I pretty much expected them to find. And then the series ended.

I'd call it a tragedy, but but the series seems to go out of it's way to dispute that.
    They smiled, they had a snowball fight, they had fun.
    And then they ate the last of their food, burned the last of their fuel, and the very last page shows them curling up and falling asleep together under the stars... in the middle of a field of snow, with only a blanket for shelter.

The implication, I assume, being that they froze to death in their sleep, which I suppose is still better than slowly starving to death over the course of several weeks.
    Bittersweet, is what it is.

Man, it's been a while since a story punched me in the gut like this.
    Angel Beats, probably.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Oh, this thread is a thing? Let'S see.

Helck.
    It starts silly. Oh so silly. Vamirio try her best to get Helck eliminated, but he twarts her attempts with good cheer and skills. And the crowd loves him on top of it.

But then it turns less silly when things are noted in the background. Why are all the human villages deserted? Why is Helck even here? What is going on with the human kingdom?

It can turn to silly to dramatic to back to silly again. Yet the manga reached 100+ chapters and ended and now a sequel is being planned.

Bard Loen
    15 chapters so far. Do you like veteran protagonists? Because veteran protagonist is what you get here. May not be at peak physical condition anymore, but still don't piss him off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eisen, Somebody, wanara009 and 3 others like this.
  5. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

I've got a recommendation for Gunslinger Girl.

I'm not a great fan of the English translation, but overall, it does well in drawing you into the characters and then showing you how desperate and broken some of them are. Triela is trying to make something of herself, and Claes has an interesting back story. And the manga doesn't pull it's punches. The girls can die, Angelica is a case in point.

Imabot likes this.
  6. wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

I bring two offering today.

The First is Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (Demon Detective Nougami Neuro). A very unique shonen series from the same mind that brought us Assassination Classroom. I'd argue however that MTNN is the better work. It start as a detective manga ala Detective Conan, except the eponymous Nougami Neuro is a sadistic literal demon who solve crime to eat 'Puzzle'. However, it quickly veered off into a more involved plot regarding a mad AI, a shapeshifting phantom thief, and evil bloodlines.

What set MTNN apart from other shonen manga is that Neuro progressively get weaker as the series went along. He started the series being able to catch bullet with his eyelids and get frailer as time passes, forcing him to rely on the rest of the cast more and more.

The Second is Zatch Bell. The plot is Battle Royale meets Digimon. In short, 100 demon kids are sent into the human realms. They must find a partner to wield their book, which is necessary for the demon children to use their power, and fight until one is left. The winner become King of the Demon Realm.

It does nothing special when compared to other shonen battle manga of its time. However, the journey it takes during the course of its run is a roller coaster. Plus the characters are fun and interesting.

7. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I've recently been reading Jigokuraku, it is like a fighting manga written on drugs.

The villains are constantly gender-swapping Plant-Human hybrid Daoist scientists who used to be one person who then split himself into several so he can SCIENCE more. Which includes a pair that were made specifically to study sex cultivation.

Main characters include a bunch of convicted criminals who are fighting to get an elixir of immortality for the Shogunate as a way to earn a "Get out of Jail Free" card and the executioners sent there to be their minders.

Examples of the insane characters
    Ninja who just wants to be a normal married couple with his wife, he uses ninjutsu to set himself on fire while punching people in the face. ​
    Kunoichi who drinks different potions so she can use slime based ninjutsu. It looks as lewd as you'd expect​
    Goddamn Crazy bandit descendent of the 47 Ronin who goes "If I can't punch the monsters to death I'll steal their huge ass weapons and bash them in the head with it"​
    And a mountain tribe girl who heals people with the power of head-pats and hugs​

daimahou likes this.
  8. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Oh right, this...

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa (Actually, I am...)

Meet Kuromine Asahi, "the man who can't lie".
    On the way home, he just learned an important secret.
    His crush, Shiragami Youko, is actually a vampire!
    Can Asahi actually keep her secret?
    It's a fun, clumsy, one of a kind vampire romantic comedy!

Comedic slice of life, with maybe some seriousness sprinkled at times. But seriously, it's comedy. The faces reall sell this manga. Sure, it starts as the vampire secret, but the rest of the cast is just as crazy and we get plenty of insanity. Aliens, demons, angels, time travellers... And common sense seems to be a quick casualty.

If you had to read just a single chapter, I would recommend chapter 73. The Maid Cafe chapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZipLopz, zamin, Biofan09 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Oh, I've read that one and I'll second that recommendation as it really is an enjoyable. It does go some weird places at times but the characters are great.

10. sun tzu

sun tzu strategist

One recent find for me has been Kiryuu-sensei wa Ren'ai ga Wakaranai ("Miss Kiryuu Doesn't Understand Romance", also known as "Aromantic Love Story" here in France). I have found it to be a refreshingly mature, intelligent story about an asexual, aromantic protagonist.

Somebody likes this.
  11. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Ishuzoku Reviewers is a pretty fun one. It's a comedy about a group of adventurers reviewing different brothels. Mildly NSFW, given the topic, but nothing is really shown.

12. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Guts

Middle-Aged Man's Noble Daughter Reincarnation

This is the best Otome Isekai, far surpassing Bakarina: "The mangaka of Zoids drew the sort of Villainess Otome Isekai story he would like to see."

13. Alhazred23

Alhazred23 Oops! Did i do that?

Is it just me, or are there a growing number of non-porn manga (that also aren't seinen rapefests or josei angstfests) where sexytimes are actually a thing?

Thus far, recently i have seen:
    • Dochokkyu Kareshi x Kanojo - Wherein the male and female leads are comically loud, straightforward and completely over-the-top about everything.
    • Otome no Harawata Hoshi no Iro - Grand Blue meets To Love RU, wherein the scummy "best friend" character is actually getting some even if the MC isn't.
    • Grand Blue - speaking of which... i guess college kids actually do that, even if the MC can't manage it.
    • Arakure Ojousama wa Monmon Shiteiru - Sheltered, man-hating ojousama lusts after super-strict guy and has no idea what to do about it.
    • Hanazono and Kazoe's Bizarre After School Rendezvous - Sheltered ojousama seeks out the son of a family that runs an adult good store because her parents adamantly refuse to give her the talk.
    • I Love You, As a Friend - A gyaru manga in which the gyaru who lusts after the super-strict guy actually is sleeping with every other boy in school.
    • It's Not Meguro-san's First Time - and that's okay!
    • Anything by Souryuu - though it's hard to argue that these aren't actually porn.

Imabot and Somebody like this.
  14. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Didn't someone in the Japanese government start to encourage more sexytimes in media because of the birth rates?

15. Alhazred23

Alhazred23 Oops! Did i do that?

Though a quick google doesn't come up with a specific policy regarding sex in entertainment media, i would not be surprised if there were something like that. If it's related, i'm all for it. I've also noticed a lot more non-European mixed-race kids in manga just being there without any fuss, which might be another sign of greater awareness of Japan's demographics issues.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Least Devotee and Somebody like this.
  16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Anyone have any demon lord isekai manga to recommend? IE Overlord or How Not to Summon a Demon Lord.

17. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

Meh. Reads to me like a combo of authors/artists pushing boundaries and companies being looser with censorship standards so that they can maintain competitiveness.

18. Biofan09

Biofan09 The Archivist at The End

Oh hey, this thread got resurrected at a perfect time for me. I've got a new favourite manga:

The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

After going through a long streak of rejections, the MC gets told by a God of Love he would meet 100 soulmates in High School. However, the karmatic backlash would kill any girl he doesn't form a happy romantic relationship with. The MC decides to be total Chad and try to make a polyamorous relationship work with all the girls that fall in love with him.

While that summary may sound trashy to some, but this manga is better written than it has any right to be. It's part meta-aware romcom that's actually funny, and part genuine story of a growing group of people struggling to make a ridiculous relationship work. While I don't know how the author will handle it when the number of girlfriends reaches the double digits, I can say that the first 3 not only had a well written relationship with the MC but also with each other. For people like me who like harem romcoms but are tired of passive MCs and relationships that never go anywhere until the last few chapters, this is a story that should be checked out.

19. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

It's good, but I'm worried about how over-the-top the MC's personality is. I like it so far, but I'm kinda worried that he's gonna become grating with time.

20. kiss my axe

kiss my axe Not too sore, are you?

Do Manhwas and Chinese manga count?
    Edit: Are spoilers OK?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  21. Heaven Canceler

A new manga I discovered which is very good.

Shadow House is a manga playing in a very unique world, focusing on a young human girl who is a "Living Doll" serving a "Shadow-sama", a sort of living shadow person. The story is very mysterious, taking advantage of the limited information available to everyone to keep people hooked. The main plot is that the (probably) human characters serve as "faces" for the shadow-people, due to the later having literally no face visible and needing them as a way to show their emotions and intentions. They also keep the mansion they live in clean since the shadows produce soot when they get angry/upset.

The main focus of the story is the developing relationships between the characters and the mystery of the nature of the Shadow House. There is some dark parts, since the whole thing is kind of a master servant relationship where one side is basically slaves, but most of the characters are really good kids and a major appeal of this is watching cute girls and boys doing cute things together.

Somebody and wasprider like this.
  22. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Alright kids, GG's going to show off how shit their taste is by revealing what manga they've been following over on mangadex.

90% of it's actually isekai garbage so you've been forewarned. A lot of it's also shoujo rot because I've got a disney princess locked away within the depths of my shriveled, black heart so you've been doubly forewarned.

Maou no Musume wa Yasashi Sugiru!
    • TL;DR, the Demon Lord ends up stopping his conquest because his daughter's too pure for this world.
    • That's a shitty summary I know. Deal with it.
    • If this manga doesn't give you diabetes there's something wrong with your brain.
    • I'm only recommending this because of its sheer waff and fluff.
    Saihate no Paladin
    • TL;DR, a dude gets isekai'ed into a baby and ends up getting raised by a ghost, a mummy, and a skeleton, and grows up to kick butt.
    • Yes, that's a shitty summary as well, deal with it.
    • This is legitimately one of the better isekais I've read in terms of story and characters. It actually made me feel things. Emotional things. Considering this thing's an isekai, that's an accomplishment in and of itself
    • So yeah, this is a legitimate recommendation. I spent money on the LNs, that's how much I liked this thing. Go read it.
    The Monster Duchess and Contract Princess
    • Personally I think that's not a great title, but I've honestly seen worse before so I'll take it.
    • TL;DR, horrifically abused girl nearly gets burnt to a crisp by her family. After surviving, she writes her family off and tries to get adopted by the scariest motherfucker in the empire for protection.
    • There's a lot of waff and fluff to be found in this story too, but the beginning parts are dark as fuck. That and the antagonists are the embodiment of Stupid Evil.
    • On the other hand, there's a lot of waff and fluff to be found in this story after you get past the beginning parts. That's like the darkest it gets so far.
    • On the other other hand, this is Korean manhwa, not strictly manga. If you're only into shit written by the Japanese, go elsewhere I guess.
    Endo and Kobayashi’s Live Commentary on the Villainess
    • TL;DR, two Japanese schoolkids live-commentate on the Villainess' tsundere-ness in an otome game... But it turns out the characters in the otome game can hear what they're saying. Shenanigans ensue.
    • This is another shitty summary delivered to you by GG-chan.
    • I also legitimately enjoyed this manga. It was a neat spin on the 'typical' isekai formula for things.
    • Just read the first chapter. If it made you laugh, keep reading because the rest of the manga is like that.
    • If you're a humorless fuck and the first chapter didn't get a laugh out of you, drop it right there because you're not going to enjoy yourself.
    Otome Game no Hametsu Fl- Fuckit, let's just call it Bakarina and end it there because god that title's too fucking long.
    • It's basically the predecessor to all of those Otome Game isekais that've been cropping up.
    • I'm just going to refer to it as Bakarina because that's easier on my fingers and it's probably easier on whoever happens to be reading my rambling notes.
    • TL;DR, this ADHD dense-as-fuck schoolgirl gets dropped into the body of the villainess of this dating-sim game she played. She ends up becoming the harem protagonist in that dating-sim game.
    • Objectively I wouldn't actually call the writing for this thing 'good' because I feel like the denseness of the protagonist is this running gag that's gone on way too long. She's so dense she's pretty much a black hole with how she's been sucking in literally everyone else around her.
    • I'm not kidding on that front, literally everyone the protag's interacted with in her age group is attracted to her in some fashion.
    • I also think this should have ended after she broke the final flags in the otome game instead of continuing on, but I guess the authors are just wanting to milk as much profit out of this as possible so eh, can't fault them for wanting to make money I guess.
    • It's legitimately funny at points and the protagonist's personality is unique enough in this genre to be interesting, but the running gags start to feel stale after a bit.
    • It's like Endo and Kobayashi's basically. If the first few chapters don't make you laugh, you might as well drop the manga right there.
    Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami
    • A more serious take on the whole "Otome-game isekai'ed villainess" thing.
    • ... It's basically this one isekai protagonist going Full Capitalism and starting up her own companies and other financial innovations, so if you're into uplift-styled fics this is probably something that you might enjoy.
    • There's a significant amount of courtly intrigue and political maneuvering too. I'm not going to claim that it's period-accurate, but it's all interesting enough for me to enjoy this thing.
    • ... The only downside is that one of the villains is a stupid motherfucker but honestly that's par for the course for this genre so whatever.
    • Also some of the story beats are really obvious, which is a little unfortunate.
    • I'll still give it an 8.5/10, I legitimately liked reading this.
    The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
    • Another otome game isekai parody except with a male character this time around.
    • I'm just going to quote the summary on Mangadex this time around because I'm a lazy motherfucker:
    • "Leon, a former Japanese worker, was reincarnated into an “otome game” world, and despaired at how it was a world where females hold dominance over males. It was as if men were just livestock that served as stepping stones for females in this world. The only exceptions were the game’s romantic targets, a group of handsome men led by the crown prince. In these bizarre circumstances, Leon held one weapon: his knowledge from his previous world, where his brazen sister had forced him to complete this game. This is a story about his adventure to survive and thrive in this world."
    • It's legitimately fucking funny at points and some of the characters are outright hilarious. There's a few things I disagree with when it comes to this thing but for the most part I legitimately enjoyed reading it
    • For now. I have my doubts that I'll keep enjoying reading this. I've been burned on isekais way too many times at this point.
    • I'm also not going to lie, the premise of this thing bothers me a lot. I pretty much enjoyed reading this despite the premise of this fic.
    Boku no Hero Academia
    • If you don't know what the fuck this is you've been living in a hole.
    • If you do know what the fuck this is and you haven't read it yet, go read it.
    • Unless you're an anime-only fan, in which case fight on I suppose.
    • But yeah, just go read this, it's good.
    Then there's a few guilty-pleasure things on my follows list over on Mangadex that I won't get into, but these are the titles I remember reading in the past six months and legitimately enjoying off the top of my head.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  23. Casualfarmer

Casualfarmer Versed in the lewd.

Slave of the Magic Capital's Elite Troops

Kind of tropey in parts, but a fun romp. Basic summary is Gates open randomly to demon realm, containing super-power granting items that only give powers to girls. Fight Demons, save civillians. The Female MC has the power to turn things, her "slave" into a super powered monster. In return, she must give her slave an appropriate "reward" for their service. Originally, she uses the monsters that inhabit the demon Realm for this, and they only want pork or candy. She is forced to use the Male MC when her original slave dies, and he is way more combat effective. But his "reward" is also making out/bathing with/ groping the hot chick who now is his boss.

Whats refreshing is the attitude. Kyoka kind of doesn't give a shit about the stuff her power makes her do to reward Yuuki. She gets a little embarrassed, but theres no "Kyaaa! Pervert!" moment, and she at some points enjoys it too. Then there are other girls who get drawn in.

Written by the same guy who did Akame Ga Kill, but it isn't a super edge fest. Its downright tame and Shounen. Its a good time waster, and the art is great.

Peerless Dad
    The manhua is about a single father trying to raise triplets in ancient Korea, with Xianxia thrown in. The twist is that though the MC, Noh, is super strong, events in his early life made him think that hes weak, and unfit to be in the world of martial arts, which provides most of the early humor. Where a lot of China/Korea MCs are kind of cunts with no redeeming qualities, Noh stands out. A simple man dealt a hard hand, who wants to do right by his children and honor his dead wife. One of the most Human characters I've read in a while.

Made in Abyss
    Thats hell you're walking in to.
    Made in Abyss is hard to describe, other than absolutely lovecraftian. Its horrible, its terrifying, it has shit in it that I don't know how warped you have to be to think of. It goes straight out into gore porn. The bad guys win, and suffer no consequences for their actions. It gets kind of skeevy with the main characters at times.

Its beautiful. Its wonderous. It has moments of greatness, as these children descend into hell, and face the devil in his mansion. I marathoned it in two days, and Its going to stick with me for a while. I don't know if a wholly enjoyed it, but I couldn't pull my eyes away. It was utterly engrossing.

The adaptation is very good as well. The sound track is fantastic.

Sono Bisque Doll Koi Suru
    The story follows a popular girl, Kitagawa, and a Hina Doll maker social outcast, Gojou, who get into cosplay together.

Its a fun story about cosplay, making friends, and Kitagawa's obsession with boobs. Its pretty fun.

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
    A court drama/ Detective novel/ culture piece set in ancient China. The Art is fantastic, and the Main character is a delight to read. Maomao is one of the better MCs, and certainly more entertaining than a lot of mains these days.

24. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

I'm gonna have to rec The Road to Karma here. I just started it a while ago and I'm already on chapter 35. It has incredibly high level artwork and an interesting setting. I can't say much about the plot because there doesn't seem to be much of an overarching one, but it's a fun romp.

The Road to Karma is a Manhwa telling the story of Inhan Kang, a Koream chump who lost his dad to cancer and got cancer himself, forcing him to quit his job as a librarian in pursuit of gradually more and more shady "cures", starting from being tricked into chemotherapy under the false belief that there was a cure, followed by religion and meditation. Ultimately, he ends up leaving the city after exhausting all other avenues, trying to head to a place where he might be able to heal himself. Unfortunately, along the way, he falls into a waterfall, being dragged into a hole at the bottom of the river/stream. He thinks that he's about to die and gives up...

...only to wake up washed on a riverbank in a land he's never seen. Yup. It's an Isekai.

Except this Isekai isn't making things easy for him. He still has cancer and the forest is full of the local horrors, called Demon Beasts, which are variants of animals that seem to draw on modern media, like orcs (though they look more like ogres), winged monkeys, Sabre tooth panthers, wolf packs, and, for some weird reason, perfectly normal looking cats that tear your throat out.

Of course, his cancer's gone by chapter 3, he gets a sling he uses to one- or two-shot damn near anything by chapter 2, and turns out that his meditation allowed him to basically buff himself to superhuman levels.

Honestly, my main draw to it is the art style. It's very similar to the art of Western comic books, and is seriously damn good.

25. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Seconding this rec, though you probably should have finished writing out the title if you wanted people to actually be able to find it. Well, I suppose that just "Otome Game no Hametsu" is probably enough for Google.

Mu-Sensei and Somebody like this.
  26. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta

27. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Oh, right! I forgot to mention, there's also an anime coming out in bit over a month.

28. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

Recently I've been reading Souboutei Must Be Destroyed.

It is bizarre.

The art style is weird as most of it looks like some of the older comics, but a lot of the horror elements are drawn in highly detailed forms, plus art itself is a focus of the story so there are a lot of different art styles which show up in paintings, or to convey different emotions.

As for story.

A mad painter makes a house over a place where a meteorite fell and dissolved into the water. Said meteorite is actually a complex water-based organism that tries to mind control people.

Water Monster: We will break your will and possess you puny mortal-

Mad Painter: No, you are paint. Now sit still and be my paint.

Thus we get a horror story where the main villains are an insane painter who just wants to paint forever and the eldritch abomination that want world domination, but has been turned into the painter's bitch.

There are entire conversations between the two where the monster is trying to get the painter to let it destroy the world, and the painter is essentially saying. "Shut the fuck up, you are distracting me."

He straight up bullied the monster into destroying one of its host bodies when it disobeyed him by attacking another artist who had entered his haunted house.

FTR2017, Somebody and daimahou like this.
  29. silentshot

silentshot I trust you know where the happy button is?

Jujutsu Kaisen.

Usogui.

The Law of Ueki.

Enjoy! :)

30. Heaven Canceler

I can only add to the recommendation.

Though the sequel sadly isn't as good as the original. And the anime has some weak parts but is still kinda neat and while there were changes here and there is surprisingly close to the manga storyline from what I remember.

silentshot likes this.