1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

Holy fuck, did actual character development for Grayven just actually happen!??!?!?!?!

Nice. Maybe in a dozen more years I won't be vaguely irritated whenever he's on-screen.

2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Ok, while I admit I have no idea what the power levels for MLP:FiM are, having never watched it, I fear you are gravely underestimating Darkseid.

Unless your post was sarcastic.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Nah, I've seen a couple of episodes, Pinkie Pie could take him. The power levels are vast, and her feats are beyond anything in DC.

4. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

he's mostly shitposting, but depending on the episode pinkie is anything from fast as fuck, to a casual reality warper. so she could probably win.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

(Screams in FAQ)

6. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Father box is the one that turned his soul into a copy of grayven. Darkseid knows for sure, because father box was reporting everything back to him.

Also pinkie could take darkseid in the same way bugs bunny could.

7. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

so make a complete joke out of him, win in a landslide, and laugh to the bank?

8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

At first I thought it was trite, which made the eventual "oh shit" moment highly potent, which in turn made the win more satisfying.

I don't think the anti-life itself can be destroyed permanently like that, just someone's understanding/connection to it. Like you could destroy a lantern's ring, but that doesn't affect the existence of the Glow itself.
    I'd compare Darksied giving part of the equation to Paul/Grayven to the way Hinon lost her connection to the orange light to create an orange ring.

Ngamer11, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  9. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean he had a fairly similar moment of remorse and self-improvement after Darkseid's first appearance/visit to him, when he had to regain his emotional drives and stopped doing things like assimilating people, though after a while he seemed to fall into similar habits. We'll see how he does now.

I believe this episode is meant to take Sunset and everything Pony-related out of the story, but I'm kind of on-board for Renegade/Luna, even if they're just platonic colleagues. Transdimensional magic and cultural exchange could be interesting too, though that's already going on with Zerox and places- which reminds me, does Renegade have plans to contact Rama Khan in Jarhanpur? Teth Adom is around in his timeline now, and Circe has a non-zero chance of knowing something about it from mystic means or something (did the confrontation with Oggar happen off-screen or something? I don't remember a reference to it after the initial warning).

10. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kinda, a significant amount of the Justice League and Scott and Barda kinda suspect it and renegade basically told them that they dont really want to know if he's really Grayven, since if hes not Eart is in even more danger from Apokalypse.

11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed!! Pinkie on a good day = Peak Bugs Bunny who once used a regular saw to separate Florida from the rest of the USA.

12. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

If it turns out that a white lantern ring could cure an anti-life infection all along Grayven is gonna be so pissed when he finally gets one. I just can't wait for his inevitable "HOW DID I MISS THIS" freakout.

caspian1a, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 3 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade Teth and the renegade may not be as close as the paragon and his version of Teth.
    They may be working more closely than the paragon and paragon Teth, but are probably not as close friends.
    Also he may have not mentioned Rama and Jarhanpur. He could have tried to see if it was still there, but not finding anything just assumed that it's gone like the paragon did.

I am sure that Zoat said that the anti life equation can even affect the white light but probably only when it is whole, though certain fragments could potentially affect it.

Cuchulin, DrThoth, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

At the end of Reboot, there's an in-universe summing up of the entire multi-series arc to the theme of Modern Major General.

More like that.
    That film nearly cost me a fifth of my country. Mel Gibson can breathe farts for the rest of his horrible, decietful, racist life.
    Honestly? I didn't. It just turned up when I wrote this segment.
    NO THERE ISN@T

15. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Mantling is totally a thing here Mr Zoat said he didn't know what it meant and then that it wasn't intentional, but the actual description of what renegade-Paul did to become a god by claiming the name of someone who already exists, then somehow ended up taking that person's God Domain and getting memories of growing up As that person, on a planet that he had never actually been to...

That's a mantle. Renegade took graven's name and God role, and he took it that hard that his soul started to conform to that shape.

Even if god-roles aren't normally transferable like that and it only worked because rena-paul had no soul, carving his spirit to let him copy and replace and existing God Still fits the definition well enough that taking issue with the word is kinda pointless.

The defining point (to me, at least) is the part where he spontaneously got fake memories of graven's childhood by pretending to be him for long enough.

That swings it far enough that it just feels silly to deny it any longer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

iamnuff raises a good point when he says what renegade did as being basically a textbook definition of mantling.
    Though i'm not sure if it was Darkkseid giving the orders to Fatherbox or if Fatherbox did it on his own or if it was automatic

17. Mr Zoat

If you have the plans for a house and build another house just like it, you aren't 'mantling' the first house.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still him getting the memories of the actual Grayven is extremely similar to what is defined as mantling.
    He either has a spiritual connection to Grayven and is getting his memories or Father Box gave him those either on his own volition or on orders from Darkseid.

19. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Wait, What? I'm only vaguely familiar with My little pony.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

None whatsoever, as Zoat pointed out.

Gravy has met the real Grayven.

21. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Ugh okay look. Mantling, from the Dresden Files from where it originates, or was codified, means raking over a role in a story-and-theme based power system such as the Fae Courts in the Dresden Files. The Roles from A Practical Guide to Evil fit mantling as well.

What Grayven did I’d not mantling. He made himself into a new god, except Father Box gave him a copy of Grayven soul. Kind of like uplaoding a backup on your new phone. This messed with his memories and behaviours, and this lead to him becoming the new god of conquest.

There’s no mantling because new gods aren’t set roles. You can usurp someone’s power and domain, but ultimately it’s going to be filtered through you. Hell, you can even have multiple gods of the same thing. I think Apokolips has like three minor gods of war right now, or something. Don’t quote me on that tho, it’s likely I read it in an old Black Lantern SI

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Considering what the last chapter that sounded like suicide squad was like, the next chapter might just be an April Fool's prank chapter with no relevance. If not, perhaps will see a version of Paul who brought together a group that somehow KILLED all the New Gods, both from New Genesis and Apokolips. That would be really interesting to see.

Gilhelmi, Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  23. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Don't be silly!

...The entire story was leading up to this.

It's all downhill from here!

Xjalnoir, DrThoth, Rebu and 1 other person like this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Word of Zoat is that New Gods do not share domains, so not in this story.

In the comics, yes, for example the Forever People were collective the New Gods of Youth, but in the comics new god domains were meaningless puffery that meant jack and shit beyond impressing the easily impressed.

One of the Forever People for example, had the power of magnetism.

If you can figure out how being the god of youth gives one magnetic powers, you've obviously put way more thought into it than any of the DC writers did

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Yes, I should probably change the name.

26. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Cloning someone to make an exact copy, then using that copy to try to usurp them and take their power probably counts though.

The 'important' part of the whole 'mantle' idea (to me, anyway) is the part where you take on a role and that role actually effects you on a mental and spiritual level.
    If you pretend to be someone to the point where you end up with their childhood memories, powers, domain and even their parents, then it's close enough that quibbling is kinda pointless.

Grayven stole some dude's identity so thoroughly that he has to occasionally remind himself that he didn't actually grow up on Apocalypse, and Darksied isn't his real dad.

I know that this settings metaphysics don't normally work with Mantle-rules, and that's perfectly fine, but there are exceptions where things that happen are close enough that the term still fits.

i'm pretty sure there's at least one silver-age storyline where Clark Kent has his entire identity as superman (not just his suit and his powers, but even his origin story about being from Kyrpton) stolen by someone else using 4th dimensional imp-magic or time-travel to retroactively make it so that they were always superman and he was always an ordinary human.
    I'd say that that fits too, even though it doesn't usually work like that.

On the other hands, DC's gods might work like that. I could easily imagine a storyline where Wonderwoman beats up Ares and unintentionally ends up taking his title as the God of War. Eventually the role starts to effect her and make her more and more warlike until she goes evil, gets beat up by the justice league and has to renounce her godhood so she can go back to being Wonder Woman again.
    I think Marvel's Gods already work like that. Sort of, anyway.

Back to Grayven though, it just amuses me how something like Identity Fraud because such a huge deal.
    Also... like, he stole a dude's parents.
    That's pretty low.

Like, what kind of a dirt bag thief you gotta be to steal someone's mom and dad?
    Ah, if only Darksied wasn't a cunt. I might actually feel bad for his real son.

27. Ideomancer

Ideomancer Getting out there.

Mantling did not originate in the Dresden files. What we have here is a homophonic/namespace collision, because what Grayven is doing is very similar to mantling in the Elder Scrolls setting, where a character chooses to follow the path of an existing god long enough to acquire their power before slanting off in a direction of their own with it. Which has metaphysical implications for both the god being mantled and the person doing the mantling.

I believe that, even if we can say with any degree of certainty that this isn't what is actually happening, this is the source of the confusion because the form of mantling described in the FAQ and referencing the Dresden Files is not the form of mantling people are referring to when they talk about Paul mantling Grayven like Tiber Septim mantled Lorkhan to become Talos. The mantled god is not so much replaced (though that can happen in some cases because ES is very metaphysically messy) so much as used as a spark to kindle something new, and both mantle and mantler will tend to be altered in the process. Same word, same sound, and similar but pertinently different meaning and implications due to different metaphysical frameworks.

New Gods aren't set roles, and neither are the gods of the Elder Scrolls. The Eight/Nine Divines were not always the Divines before Saint Alessia imposed herself on them. Mannimarco seeks to mantle Molag Bal and usurp him as the God of the Undead, but not necessarily in any other capacity. And even if he succeeds (which it is implied he at least partially accomplished during the Warp in the West), it doesn't remove 'undeath' as a thing Molag Bal has power over.

So as I've said before, I believe this is where the confusion is coming from because Grayven looks an awful lot like he's mantling conquest in such a manner, even to the point of duplicating and expanding upon domains/embodied concepts without replacing the original entity he was impersonating.

If we can't understand that, we're just going to keep having this come up because people are going to keep not talking about the same thing past each other, and people are going to keep ignoring the FAQ when they make this connection because what's described in the FAQ doesn't describe what they're referencing.

Gantradies, Cuchulin, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Now that the name has gone from Deicide to Fraticide, I have no clue as to what it might be about. Does anyone have any good ideas? It has to be something that can work with both names.

Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The title Fratricide squad could have something to do with red lantern, though I doubt it.
    Maybe God of War?

30. Mr Zoat

No, it's Suicide Squad. One of the animated ones.