1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Speaking of which...

than

I suspect this is a case where "couldst" would probably slip in.

Come now, the queen isn't THAT heavy, is she?

I must confess this is where my mind went, too...

2. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Cadance again.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is there a version of the SI that ended up in either DnD or Forgotten Realms?

Will you write a chapter about them if there was?

AngelicKnight. and DrThoth like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, because I don't know D&D well enough.

5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Planescape seems right up his alley.

6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Is there an Elder Scrolls version? Or does that go away with “no mantling”?

7. Mr Zoat

I considered it, then I remembered what happened to the constant-effect-levitate-ring character I made.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Heh, what was it? Nobody figured out how to attack you?

Jormuungaand likes this.
  9. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

..... Um.... Forgotten Realms IS DnD. Or at least one of far too many possible settings (including homebrew ones, of course) for DnD to count.

See my above comment, in particular the bit about homebrew settings. I'd be willing to bet that for every group playing in one of the official settings there are at least 5 playing in either homebrew settings or some world the DM is making up as they go. Though I suppose dropping a SI into one of those worlds would be a little pointless since there's be nothing anyone else could recognize.

Constant effect levitate ring? So....that character died in orbit? Or fell from orbit when he took the ring off?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

No, in Morrowind 'levitate' makes your character able to walk on air. You didn't have to go anywhere.
    Firstly, the best constant effect levitation you can get on a ring is... This is a few decades ago now. 3? 4? Which means that it's very slow. And while it makes you totally immune to melee attacks while in open spaces it doesn't help in tombs, dwemmer ruins... All the places you'll want to explore. Then you add in the fact that you're limited to range attacks yourself. Fine. Morrowind has no static magicka regeneration, so spells are out. Bows? Okay, if you don't mind taking days to kill someone. I went for rings with range damage spells, and as a result whenever I emptied one and tried scrolling through my ring catalogue... The new ring replaces my levitate ring and I plummeted to my death.

11. ElvishPresley

ElvishPresley Getting some practice in, huh?

A bit late AidanMorgan, but I haven't seen any replies to this so far while skimming the thread. I didn't find an official german translation, but this seems to be Atrocitus's oath word for word:

"With blood and rage of crimson red,
    Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
    Together with our hellish hate,
    We'll burn you all - that is your fate"

Your first two lines are perfect, but 'fresh' is supposed to be 'frisch', so my translation would look something like this:

"Mit Blut und Wut von Purpurrot,
    von einer frischen Leiche gerissen,
    So wie auch unser Höllenhass,
    Werd't ihr alle brennen müssen!"

I couldn't get the word 'fate' in there, but the 'müssen' is close enough I feel and it even sorta rhymes with 'gerissen'! Now if only I could rhyme Hass and Purpurrot...

Hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Lupercal and Vorian like this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Don’t forget assassin darts, which can Easily be lethal and can be picked up again. If I remember correctly, though, enemy pathing is messed up by either attacking while levitating or having them levitate, so they tend to not be able to attack.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Mr Zoat

I... Seem to remember getting attacked while near the ground. I could be mistaken, though. It was a while ago.

14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Alright, it's 120,000 ish words give or take, according to the archive story only thread. Not sure where millions came into it.

15. Mr Zoat

If I remember correctly, that only counts threadmarked posts.

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Maybe not static mana regeneration, but Drain Intelligence 100 on Self for 1 second will briefly make your mana supply 0/0... then when your normal mana pool reasserts itself, you're short by the same difference, giving you a full tank. I called the spell Ignorant Bliss, and it was now I learned that stacking Attribute Drain on a Fortified Attribute gets treated as Attribute Damage, which is why you test modifications to your arsenal of spells and equipment in a safe environment.
    Did you try removing the depleted ring before equipping the next blaster ring?

These all seem like "computer making my character stupid" issues rather than a problem with the setting itself.

Jormuungaand and Bramble Thorn like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Of course it is, but a bad experience can leave a lingering sense of distaste.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I cry
    EDIT:
    2,392,000 words roughly then (assuming each update is approximately 1 thousand words)

Ardy likes this.
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Your estimate is low. Consider that the threadmarks alone are 120k words in 93 posts. That's an average of 1290 words per threadmarked post, and there are 2393 posts in the story-only thread, so that suggests it's over three million words.

Wetbananas, DAT_NOOB, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The average when the last madman counted was around 1.4k words per update and the fic was already over two million when it was being posted in SV.

Thus is certainly over three million by now, and could be close to four million.

365 updates a year, for almost a decade (I think this fic started in 2012).

There are also the queen of fables episode that had double updates for most of it (Zoat and the Queen retcons).

Wetbananas, DAT_NOOB, Darko and 2 others like this.
  21. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Pranked shouldn't capitalized.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Morning
    Equestria

Sunset's acquired an unused room in the palace for checking her working. Well, checking her expectations concerning Equestria's magical constants. She looks focused but not flustered, which I assume means that everything is going more or less according to plan. Not sure where she found all this equipment-.

"Sunset, how did you get hold of all of this?"

"Celestia put all my old stuff into storage. Twilight got a lot of it, but she said she was fine with me using it. Have you seen her?"

"Yes, and I apologised for my attitude. I believe that she's going to get some much needed sleep."

Sunset nods, then looks over to where Luna is staring at her blackboard.

"Do you actually understand any of that?"

"Only a little. 'Tis truly a marvel. We had not realised that the thaumatic sciences had advanced so far. Prithee, what doth this segment mean?"

"They haven't. This is all Atlantean notation I learned on the other side of the mirror." She turns away from the machine she was studying. It looks a little like an oscilloscope, only the knobs are sparkling gemstones. "That segment describes the change in the subject's mana flows as they move from the start position to the… 'Unbinding' portion."

Luna glance back as Sunset approaches her. "You told Us that you were gone but a year."

Sunset face-shrugs. "Magic is my special talent. Usually I prefer a more hooves-on approach, but Atlantean notation just made everything make so much sense. This is the mathematical basis for everything I feel when I cast a spell."

She stands next to Luna as the alicorn stares at the equations.

"This is not the notation used in Equestria?"

"It will be now. I've written an introductory guide and I'm going to hand it over to the School for Gifted Unicorns."

"Couldst We prevail upon thee to furnish Us with a copy?"

"Sure, no problem. The other side of the mirror has really cheap printing technology. The only reason I didn't run off a bunch was because I know how slowly things like that get accepted."

"We have not yet fully brought Ourself up to date with modern thaumaturgy." She smiles at Sunset. "Perhaps in this instance We will be able to steal a march 'pon this nation's greatest experts."

"The ones who aren't me, anyway."

"You are confident, then, that your technique will function as intended?"

"Mostly. There's just one magic form that I can't fully account for." She sighs. "And I can't carry on with my ascension until I can isolate where all that chaos magic is coming from. I don't want to end up as a phelddagrif."

"Chaos magic?"

Uh oh. After I stopped The Changing Man turning an entire town into copies of his ex-girlfriend by killing him, I let Sunset study his remains. Which means that she was pretty confident of her ability to prevent chaos magic from interfering in the process. But with Discord still around and probably not all that happy about the sudden proliferation of alicorns…

"Could it be Discord that you are detecting?"

"Discord? That ugly statue-"

I brace for incoming draconequus.

"-out in the gardens?"

I hear a click, as if invisible fingers were clicking. I know he's supposed to be reformed now, but I can’t quite suppress my desire to grab the Sword of the Fallen as there’s a flash of white light which serves as the prelude to his appearance.

"Did I just hear my name? Hm?" He looks at me, blinks, and then there are two of him blinking at me as they float upside down in the air. Then they rotate their necks so they can look at one another.

"An alicorn stallion?"

"I didn’t think they made those."

They blink at each other, then rotate so that their faces are level with mine. Their bodies are left floating up behind them in a way which –if they actually had hearts and blood- would swiftly leave them light-headed.

"How novel." / "How novel."

I smile faintly. "Discord, I presume. Planet Wilson’s Lord of Chaos."

Another click and flash of white light and the two are one once more. "Well, I don’t like to brag." His right forepaw covers the side of his mouth. "Actually, I do. I mean, ‘Lord’? Really? Was that the best title you could come up with?"

"I met one of your colleagues. Klarion, the Witch Boy?"

Discord pulls back, amusement in his mismatched eyes. "Oh, that little scamp."

"And Mordru, the Dark Prince."

Discord strokes his chin. "Haven't heard from him in a while. Hmm. Come to think of it, Klarion’s been uncharacteristically quiet as well."

"And Oggar, the Mightiest Immortal."

"Pff, mightiest."

He rolls his eyes. He rolls them down his arms and then holds them out to me. I don't react.

"And The Changing Man."

"Oh, he was always good for a laugh! Have to get back in touch." He clicks his right forepaw and a journal of some kind appears, floating in the air next to him. "Let’s see... Huh." He pokes the journal a couple of times, then frowns. "Can’t seem to locate them."

"No. Because, do you know what they have in common?"

He pokes the journal again, not looking up. "Oh, do tell."

"They all met me."

"Oh, don’t be absurd, it’s probably just on the fritz." He frowns, and clicks his fingers. The journal disappears and is replaced by a nineteen twenties era telephone. "Hello, operator? I need the current listing for The Changing Man."

The part of the handset near his ear moves like lips, a nonsensical warbling sound emerging from it.

"Oh. Okay, do you have Oggar?" Another warble. "Ah. I see."

I turn my neck, reach for my shoulder sheath and pull out the Sword of the Fallen.

"How about Klarion? … Or Mordru? … Huh. … How ‘bout that."

As Discord looks up, I smile, making sure that he can get the best angle from which to appreciate the Sword. He looks at it, frowns slightly, then his eyes widen and his entire body turns into yellow custard. "I’vegottowashandhairmygo! Tata!"

[​IMG]

Block Retreat.

He clicks his fingers and doesn’t disappear. His eyes widen far beyond the borders of his face and he starts frantically clicking his fingers. On the fifth, I feel his magic overpowering my resistance and I let him go.

I smile at Sunset.

"That fix it?"

She glances back at her equipment.

"Actually… Yes."

Luna watches cautiously as I stow the Sword. "What manner of blade is that?"

"What I'd have stabbed him with rather than taking a chance on Fluttershy. What me and mine have used to kill every Chaos Lord we've met to date. I believe in permanent solutions."

She considers for a moment, then nods.

"We are not sad to see him go. Now, We believe that Our guards have had time to array themselves. Alas, We have other work which must occupy our time ere Sister returns, but We are certain that the Royal Guard will be able to assist you in full measure."

Sunset smiles. "Thank you, Princess. By the time we're done, the Guard will be unrecognisable."

Luna looks a little concerned at that, but nods anyway.

"We are pleased that despite your estrangement from Our sister thou art still devoted to the wellbeing of thine fellow ponies."

Sunset looks a little uncertain at that.

"Wellbeing. Yeah."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  23. Mr Zoat

Sure, but ranged rings don't do a lot of damage. Manually swapping them out would require me to go into the menu roughly once every three seconds, dozens of times every fight.
    Certainly it should. It's the first word in a new sentence.

24. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

Sunset. i thought we agreed not to leave people in horrible states that couldn't be fixed.

25. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Huh I know DC Lords of Chaos are pretty insanely powerful but Honestly Discord is pretty top tier himself I wonder how you would rate each of the Lords of Chaos.

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I understand that Sunset wants to ascend but what's she doing with the Guard?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So renegade is powerful enough to temporarily restrain a Chaos Lord?

What is Discords anchor to the material universe?

28. Mr Zoat

Tune in tomorrow to find out!
    He can temporarily block a teleport while in close proximity.
    I dunno, what is Discord's anchor to the material universe?

29. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does that mean you haven't thought of it, or you have, and think we can figure it out with information in the story?

30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Uh oh! Suddenly I feel Luna's up to no good.