1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this fic of Ff.net called 'Not The Hero' by Alara Rogers where Discord explains that earth ponies used to work the rocks with their magic so as to make it possible for them to be enchanted and used n the construction on fortresses.

It also goes into long explanations on the history and world of Wilson.
    Things like the history of the Crystal Empire, what Sombra actually was(not a unicorn actually), how magic works etc.

There was even some explanations regarding Changelings, portraying them as Fae like, like living in hills and having a place called Avalon etc.

The other piece of fiction that portrays them like that, at least the only one i have seen do it would be Codex Equus.
    They have courts based on things like Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.
    The Spring Court is located in a Hive called Avalon.
    They are weird with what they say.
    The leaders of the Spring and Summer court are named Titania and Oberon, though they are mostly called Empress Blackrose and Emperor Blackthorn.
    There is even a Spring Changeling called Puck.

And speaking of Fae, there is this fic by theirishdreamer on SB called 'Good Intentions and Honourable Knights'.
    The last chapter is from the perspective of the White Walkers and it is a fun and interesting read.
    The Others in this fic basically made a truce with the humanity and built the Wall as a show of good faith, because walls make for good neighbors, gave the Nights Queen as a gift to the Watch and considered the wildling to be something like a tax that they agreed upon with humanity.
    They call the Children 'Enslavers' and humans 'Warm Ones', while they call wights 'Useful Ones'.
    The author was trying to show how they aren't evil so much as completely diffrent from humans in their mindset, like the Fae.
    The Others hibernate for millenia, so for them humans suddenly wanting to kill them is seen as a betrayal, not just between some ancient pact that one side completely forgot about, but because to them the Pact only happened a few years ago at best.
    The author also gave the idea that maybe the Children don't give a shit about humanity and only care about themselves.

Which isn't so hard to believe seeing as in the myths nature can be a real bitch.

Just look at Gaia and Typhon.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

This is the best fake NZ ad there will ever be.

3. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Yeah, the brain tends to take shortcuts so as long as the first and last letters are right most people can parse it and then fill in the blanks contextually.
    Love is the magic that powers and protects the earthen settlement that retains the most arcana.

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

This seems appropriate.

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

completely uncertain- at the minimum, she... erm.. no.... longer had... a vagina when transformed-
    just a "fuck pouch" simulating one...

Darko likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sorry, I only read the next one in the series. Where a traitorous master of the Callidus Temple who'd been transferred into a dreadnought removed the genestealer implants and she turned into an eldar.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Probably a mix of ponies dying and Earth ponies being too busy making food for everyone to teach the new generations.

And is not completely lost. Look at Maud Pie. Look at the Apples growing food. Look at Fluttershy getting an animal taming talent that's usually on Earth ponies. Don't forget Rock farming and look at what in Tartarus is what Pinkie Pie does.

The only thing no Earth Pony in the show can do seems to be hex breaking and I am sure Zebras can do that one. So Earth ponies could learn it back from them.

There is over a thousand tea blends, people hate tea only because they just haven't found the right one, or because regular tea fucks up their digestive system.

9. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

So pretty much the first thing Scrivener says is that their history has mostly devolved into stories, myths and legends. And yet Sunset continues to push for details and clarifications.
    After a millennia or more of chinese whispers everything but the broadest strokes is likely made up. Either to embellish, bias or fill-in forgotten gaps.

Over in Equestria they have eight Earth Ponies pull an entire train. Why is one pulling a single cart considered impressive?

As yet there is no evidence that they have.
    Even assuming these nomads do have a greater knowledge of Earth Pony magic it is likely something they developed after all the unicorns and pegasi left. Necessity, mother of invention and all that.

Example:
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty
    uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal
    pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a
    rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't
    mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
    olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer
    be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl
    mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
    ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling
    was ipmorantt! tahts so cool!

Mr Zoat, Cuchulin, Lupercal and 4 others like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

I remember eight doing it.

[​IMG]

And he's not just pulling a cart. He's pulling a giant cart laden with heavy limber.

11. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Thank you, corrected.

And? Equestrian Earth Ponies have been seen hauling ludicrously heavy loads. What indicates that Buckface is doing anything innovative or interesting?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

Assume for the sake of consistency that they don't.

13. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

To be fair these aren't equivalent physical processes, pulling something isn't the same as lifting it (the cake may be inside the area of the instinctual spell and thus would also be affected by the magic) and there may be a mental/instinctual component at work in here as well, but the point is very fair at least from the eyes of someone with no knowledge of the setting beyond the odd YouTube thumbnail when the MLP craze was on its height.

14. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

It was Australian. and the joke was that you could eat food off ah my deck.

15. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Not always.

Don't mind me. I'll just be over here with my 3D printed Orks and scatch-built Ork vehicles. (Sure, most shops won't let me use my army in their events, but I'd have to drive 2 hours to get to a shop that sells 40k anyway.)

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There's also "Mare Do Well" stopping a runaway carriage from going over the cliff for Earth pony strength feats in the show.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Strength? How about super-friction?

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

In addition to the two that were already commented on and not yet corrected, there's yet a third spelling in there as well.

Really leaning on the ring there, Grayven, assuming that the modern Equish word derives from an ancient Equish root perfectly analogously to the way its English translation derives from a Latin root.

Divination by lizards? *headscratch* *looks it up* Oh. Heh. Silly fantasy writers not paying attention to the actual derivation of words... and also mixing Latin and Greek (not that scientists are all that good at that either). Just because the muscles of the upper arm are called "lacerti" doesn't mean "lacertus" is the word for "muscle." It just means that ancient anatomical researchers thought they kinda looked like lizards. I guess it's not necessarily WRONG, as it is USED that way, but it certainly doesn't convey the right meaning out of context.

Strictly speaking it should have been myomancy, or maybe dikefalomancy. Not your fault.

It's blackcurrant, which has been noted ("ring, I want to taste blackcurrant") to be a flavor he does enjoy.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

I few I only just got around to:
    Full explanation here. In summary:
    Young Werner Glook was sent by his parents to an exclusive school in Marienburg - a common fate for children of rich and famous parents who couldn't be bothered to raise their off-spring for themselves. As a consequence, childhood was a lonely and deeply unhappy time for him. The school master's beat him frequently and the older boys adopted him as their personal slave.
    Werner being too obstinate to flee, was captured after a fierce fight in which he gave a fine display of fist fighting - a skill necessary in his school days.
    After three days of torture and no water, Werner had uttered not one cry of pain and the only words he had spoken were to defy his captors and curse their closer relatives. The Sheik was impressed, and his men were getting a bit nervous. Surely no ordinary men could endure so much pain. They were not to know that Werner was used to beatings, having suffered far worse at the hands of his fellow pupils at school. Once they had hung him for three days in the flue of the great chimeny in the headmaster's study... He had not uttered a word then either, not even when old Meistergriek had lit the fire to warm his old bones.
    Actually, yes. Take away the make up and clothes. Take a moment to look at the chirurgical scars. Now look wherever you want. Some daemonettes look like that: mostly what you'd expect from one sex but also slightly not. Slightly off. Some look like monster-Barbies. Others have a mix of characteristics.
    Sorry, hybrid. Not cultist.
    Orrr... One character expression an ill-informed opinion is not Word of Zoat?

I rather thought that after it turned out that Twilight hadn't killed dozens of Pinkie clones, people would have learned not to assume that the Renegade is right about everything.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'd have gone with 'ligamancy' if I wasn't copying someone else.

21. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given it has been known that Renegade makes stuff up since the first time he did so way back on SB I kind of doubt one more in the long list of examples will change things.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Darko likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Eh, it's still early, maybe he will gradually become a kinder, more mellow in the following episodes.

I mean assuming Darkseid isn't waiting on the other side of the mirror to 'congratulate' him.

Lupercal likes this.
  24. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Because no one in story, including people who would know like the Elements of Harmony or Luna, has challenged his particular ill-informed opinion on earth pony magic?

Gravyen, and Sunset, being wrong is fine but if we never see anyone argueing with them and only have their own opinions to inform us of the world around them then we lack the context to tell which of their opinions are right or wrong.

Ciber, Vorian and Darko like this.
  25. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

moralrelativity likes this.
  26. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Uh... that is the very definition of unreliable narrator. You might not always know that their opinions are wrong. In fact, it serves the purposes of the narrative best to reveal the mistake only after there has been some sort of consequence, and the protagonists have to solve their mistake before it gets worse.

Senevri, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Everything Grayven knows about earth pony magic he got from Sunset. Sunset had access to all commonly available sources of information and a few uncommon ones. I've already covered that Celestia was withholding information from her, but her statements about the lack of generally available earth pony magic education are accurate, as are her comments in regard to trying to discover what it did.

28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

He keeps the forces of Chaos close to him and the source of his power in a way that not even their immortal queen, Ariel, had been able to endure. Said immortal queen is an avatar of an elven goddess. Also, the greatest Archmage in elven history made a prophecy of how the elves go extinct, and Paol and his plans wouldn't have any part of it. So, his existence casts doubt on that Archmage. Who also made the magic working that's beyond the skill of any living mage that's keeping reality from collapsing. So, he inflicts existential... I don't know how to pluralize crisis, but that's why he freaks the Asrai out.

Ngamer11, Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

odd comment considering he's dealing with translated languages he doesn't actually know the history of. Or rather, an easy mistake to make given his ring's translator, but one that should get him side-eyed for how much it doesn't make sense once tanslated

Lupercal likes this.
  30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Crises. A word you should probably get used to...

Lupercal likes this.