1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. RACIST SKELETON MAN

RACIST SKELETON MAN You fleshlings are all the same to me.

So, turns out Italy's been cooking the books on kung flu death numbers. They have been, amongst other things, counting every death suffered by someone with the virus as due to it, even when it's caused by other stuff (such as car accidents).

zup, Ddmkm122, False Xteeler and 6 others like this.
  2. RACIST SKELETON MAN

RACIST SKELETON MAN You fleshlings are all the same to me.

EDIT: Nope - TA

I am also going to post this. To misquote the article's title slightly, I will take evidence over idiotic hysteria any day.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2022
    Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  3. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Huh, that's neat.

Still going to avoid it like the plague because it's highly likely I would be fucked royally if I ever got the virus due to my health history. Or because of my health history of constantly fighting lung virus's, severe bronchitis, pneumonia, the flu and the dreaded common cold I may be immune. I doubt that but that's just a humorous thought I had a bit after I heard this virus had confirmed cases in my county.

4. bacmet

bacmet Newb Gone for Good

It's a member of the Corona-virus family, even if it's a much nastier version than has been seen before. I'm not calling it The Wuhan Flu to minimize it at all, I'm doing so because it's an accurate descriptor.

It's the same reason we call the Spanish Flu by its name. It was nastier than the normal, but still part of the same family.

Ddmkm122, me-meboi, TanaNari and 2 others like this.
  5. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

As a reminder.

6. foamy

foamy Getting sticky.

You wouldn't've, though.

7. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Except it isn't a flu, so accuracy isn't a defense. The Spanish Flu was a flu -- it was caused by a strain of H1N1 influenza. Caronaviruses aren't, as I noted, even in the same phylum. They're around as related to influenza as elephants and sea cucumbers are.

There's little symptom overlap, either, except in very mild cases.

And as for Angry Puffball's link and commentary... I'm just going to facepalm.

8. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, on a tangental note to the doom, anyone else going slowly mad from excessive family togetherness?

I'm stuck in here with two toddlers and the aforementioned sick wife, who, checking off most of the criteria for suddenly dieing from this thing has decided to spend her time engineering more complicated garden solutions to be fit into our little yard, and she's insisting on taking all the space between toddler storms getting my input in detail or discussing alternative school options for my tiny chaotic friends.

Well, that or politics.

All three of them require some degree of affability and presence from me, or they really start to freak out, so hiding out or going through the home repair backlog is somehow also impossible.

Oh! And its allergy season, so I can either sneeze constantly and convince her that I've caught the plague, or take Benadryl and convince her that I've caught the plague!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. eager slacker

eager slacker Versed in the lewd.

I'll admit that I'm not an expert regarding the Corona virus but if I recall correctly sniffling and sneezing are not symptoms of the disease.

10. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tell my wife for me please, because somehow she forgets every 20 minutes.

Imabot, Ddmkm122, daimahou and 2 others like this.
  11. eager slacker

eager slacker Versed in the lewd.

Well if that's the case you might as well mention the cases of fever and diarrhea associated with it.

12. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

so is there any legoble information and research into what corona virus is susceptible to? 'cause I don't beleive that bullshit about hot climates and gurgling hot water in your mouth...

13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

What do you mean by "susceptible to?"- because it's susceptible to a lot of things, up to and including good ol' soap and water. It's not a particularly resilient disease, even by the fragile standard of the virus... it dies to all sorts of things when out of the body. Including extreme heat, extreme cold, salt, ph imbalance, dehydration (re: dry climates) and even oxygen if you give it time. Nine days is the upper extreme of this family's surface survival in perfect conditions, though I'd give it a full two weeks to be on the safe side.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/new-study-reveals-how-long-coronavirus-can-survive-surfaces-449484

But in the case of this particular virus, the overwhelming majority of infections are human to human air transmission. The viral particles are carried out of the lungs while breathing, float around a bit (no more than a minute- this is not an aerosol virus- but every breath of air from an infected person resets the clock) and either settle on the skin, eyes, or in the lungs of the next victim. It can probably also spread via tainted blood transfusion (unlikely it ever has, but it probably can), but that and surface vectors are exceedingly minor vectors of this family.

Once in the body... well, then you're pretty much fucked. And it is ever-so-good at finding ways into the body. Eyes, lungs, any scrape, cut, or sore on the skin, all make you vulnerable. Which basically means you need the full hazmat kit to be completely safe... though standard clothes will probably be enough, if they're full body coverage.

Hot climates *do* appear to slow it down, as they slow other variants of the same family (like the common cold). So far, the spread pattern follows models built for diseases that favor cool weather (which again lines up with its common cold cousin). Not that it has much impact on a disease with this long an asymptomatic infectious period.

Gurgling hot water won't do shit, however.

See... there's very little reason to believe you can catch Wuhan flu or, really, the vast majority of viruses by swallowing them- the stomach is literally a churning toxin pump that destroys the vast majority of living tissue that enters it. There are things built to survive the experience, but most of them are bacteria, fungi, or macro-parasites. Viruses don't tend to do that... they have no reason to.

As mentioned before, viruses usually get in through the lungs, the eyes, and various possible abrasions of the skin. Which are much easier targets than through the mouth, since most people constantly use their skin, eyes, and lungs... but only literal mouth-breathers have their mouths open all the time.

If you have cuts in your mouth (or diseased gums), it could get in that way, but simply gargling with hot water won't help that much, if at all. That said, gargling hot water does help with the whole 'dental hygiene' thing, so it has other benefits.

Overall, however... the only guaranteed defense is to never breathe the same air as an infected person. Thus the whole 'social distancing' thing.

Yuhabahha, Pef, linkjames24 and 8 others like this.
  14. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

Thank you so much man!! This helps a lot!!

15. Aleh

Colds are generally rhinoviruses. They are, at least, more closely related than influenza is, being in the same phylum, but they aren't in the same order. To continue the analogy I used above about the flu, rhinoviruses are about as closely related to coronaviruses as elephants are to lancelets.

Again. Not. A. Flu. This is coming only a couple of posts below Biigoh issuing a reminder about that rule, too.

16. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Pretty sure that's just for stuff like kung flu" & "chinese flu" and so on.

Biigoh are we allowed to refer to the the Coronavirus as just the "flu"?

17. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It is a flu. What it is not, is influenza.

This was covered earlier, and has been explained to you more than once... apparently you weren't paying attention.

18. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Fuck, it's like I stepped back into SV's word-policing and political agendas.

Which one of the site's rules does calling Tom Riddle "The Dark Lord" instead of Voldemort break again?
    Especially in Rants, where those rules are relaxed?

Everyone knows who you mean when you say "The Dark Lord" or when you say "Voldemort."
    It's trying to police what people call him that's off-topic, basically a way to be uncivil, violating Rule 1, for what is likely a political purpose, violating Rule 8.
    This after the promises made in the introduction of the site rules that this wouldn't be a site where that shit is pulled.
    The subject under discussion was not made unclear by the use of a common vernacular instead of the official medical terminology.
    The only people doing a derail are those trying to say otherwise instead of just going on talking about the damn virus and its pandemic.

This is my "bruh" voice, for when a mod action makes me say, "Bruh."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. Aleh

No; you just ignored my -- rather unsubtle -- answers:
    Emphasis added. Or, well, this:
    In other words, no, I have been paying attention. My position on this matter is both clear and unsubtle.

20. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

For a second I thought I was in the SV rants with a situation in a HP thread that got really wacky mod attention, but I got it halfway through.

21. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Same shit, different toilet.

Imabot, CrossyCross, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  22. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

You are right.

Let's use the-virus-that-must-not-be-named.

linkjames24, Keldin, Imabot and 8 others like this.
  23. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Thank you for your effort. I want you to know I appreciate all the work you've done, data you've collected, research you've hunted down, and laying it all out.

linkjames24, me-meboi, Jiven and 5 others like this.
  24. defenestrator

defenestrator I clearly do not know where the happy button is

How about full-body plastic bags.

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

... Huh... Not what I'd call a first pick, but it'd probably work. Bonus: most trash bags are coated in antibiotic chemicals. They don't work on viruses *in* the body, but they work *outside*. Every remotely harmful chemical works on viruses outside the body.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  26. bacmet

bacmet Newb Gone for Good

The Voldemort Virus has a nice alliterative ring to it.

27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No, we need to save that one for an exciting new source of leprosy.

MHLord, Keldin, me-meboi and 2 others like this.
  28. Felius

Felius Experienced.

So long it affects the nose with more often than statistically normal for other leprosies...

29. Biigoh

You could refer to it as a flu even if I feel it's inaccurate and likely to draw people's ire about it and generate the "someone is wrong on the internet" reaction.

30. Biigoh

Johnny Carson Jokes About The "Recent" Toilet Paper Shortage

Johnny Carson jokes about the recent toilet paper shortage. There was actually not a toilet paper shortage, but after Johnny delivered this joke people ran out to the stores to stock up! - Air date - 12/19/1973

In 1973 the OPEC gasoline crisis was in full swing, with gas lines an hour long just to buy 10 gallons. Johnny often used his monologue to lighten the nations mood. This time it backfired. within 24 hours the stores were empty. He had to go on the air to say "it was a joke."

We say now, if it's on the internet it must be true. During the 1970s if Johnny said it, it was true.

Xicree, Imabot, me-meboi and 4 others like this.