1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. bacmet

bacmet Newb Gone for Good

2. bacmet

bacmet Newb Gone for Good

Romney and Gardner are both in isolation now, as well.

Ddmkm122, me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  3. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Mostly rhinoviruses, but not always. Near as I can tell, the common cold just denotes some sort of viral respiratory infection with a vague list of typical symptoms, exact virus unspecified. Coronaviruses are included in the list of typical viruses implicated. Thus, calling COVID-19 a particularly nasty and deadly cold is likely accurate.

Have you considered the name Chinese Cold? It would be actually accurate, as above, and would make the pandemic the Chinese Cold Pandemic, or CCP for short.

You seem like the right person here to ask this question: Do you know if there has been any study on rates of mutation for coronaviruses as compared to influenza viruses?

zup, MHLord, Ddmkm122 and 4 others like this.
  4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Not really a surprise. I rather expect this plague to disproportionately kill politicians. Insert tasteless rule-breaking joke here.

I could work with Chinese Communist Pandemic.

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  5. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

No.

6. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Be sure to wash hands and its alright to was your ass with soap and water

linkjames24, Ddmkm122, Imabot and 4 others like this.
  7. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I'm surprised people don't do that normally after making a dump. Just smearing shit with TP and putting your underwear back on, is just disgusting.

It's also why I hate public toilets. There is no comfortable way of cleaning your ass in these.

8. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

No one wants dry smelly asscrust

9. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Have you seen what people do with the simple instruction of "wash hands"?

They will wash their asses alright, after washing their hands and not washing it again when done with their asses...

10. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Thats weird

11. Reece

Reece Iceberg Slim is my role model

So the pubs and fast food places are closed, and I am watching what looks like Russel Brand (sans drugs) give a free P.E lesso via youtube to my little brother. God istelling me to get active during the pandemic. Schools being shut is a masskve pain.

12. daimahou

As weird as not using soap to wash your hands after finishing in the restroom.

Ddmkm122, MerelysSoul and Nerx like this.
  13. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Also don't forget to gargle fellas

14. daimahou

Yuhabahha, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  15. Nerx

Nerx HOORNGH!

Ddmkm122, daimahou and MerelysSoul like this.
  16. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Dumbasses calling this "just the flu" don't know that this is a 5% death rate. By comparison, the flu is a .1% death rate. In other words, coronavirus kills five in 100 people, while the flu kills one in 1,000 people

17. daimahou

So what we have learned is...
    1. go ahead and call every other disease by "geographic location" + "disease name/virus" but not this one because... China? Racism?
    2. shit's fucked. You should actually listen to doctors.
    3. actually do some prevention for fuck's sake because shit's fucked.
    4. the vaccine is being tested on humans and it will take 12-14 months to know if they work for sure.
    5. death.
    6. doom.
    7. ???
    8. America is out of toilet paper.

18. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

I do have the symptoms, and the doc recommended I stay home all week, take the prescribed meds, and to keep in contact if the situation worsens.

Probably just a coincidental illness though.

19. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Btw, Michigan seems to be gearing up for a lock down.

Like more than 1000 cases now and 9 confirmed dead.

-edit-

All because people were being idiots here basically.

20. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Total lockdown 3 weeks. Takes effect at midnight. Can only go to food places plus medical places I believe. I didn't catch where ever our governor started speaking, only watched a 43 second youtube video.

So I have 3 weeks of quarantine to go through here. Not really a problem for me personally. Hopefully people realize that this was the choice that should have happened when the first two cases showed up in Michigan all because people didn't close the damn air ports.

But god the panic buyers are going to be even more horrible here along with price gouging.

21. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

22. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Not quite the dumbest shit to come out of Iran of late, but it's certainly making the Top 10 list.

23. wichajster

wichajster Away

Shops in America are out of toilet paper, because everybody started stockpiling too much at once.

America is not out of toilet paper.

me-meboi, MHLord, Ddmkm122 and 6 others like this.
  24. eager slacker

eager slacker Versed in the lewd.

It's kind of sad that people at the onset of panic went for only toilet paper instead of getting food, water, and toilet paper.

25. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

This virus is really highlighting how stupid people can be.

Sure, there's the global-scale stupidity of believing chinas figures or refusing to shut the borders and close schools until this late state, but then there's also common everyday stupidity.

"Stocking up on canned goods is panic buying, you're making it worse, I'll just go to the supermarket every two days to buy small amounts of food."
    Cmon mom, I know you're not actually this dumb. We literally had this conversation as the TV was playing an impassioned plea from NHA respiratory doctors saying "Stay At Home" in the background.

Just because you are allowed to go shopping doesn't mean that you shouldn't take steps to minimise the amount of times you have to go.

Oh, and germs don't go away just because it's been two minutes since you coughed into your hands.
    You were smart enough to ask me to open a sandwich packet instead of you, because you knew your hands weren't clean, so why did you go back two minutes later to 'rearrange' the sandwich spread, and touch every single piece of food?

Wise the fuck up and take this seriously.

26. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

No; if you actually read the links, you'll note that the medical establishment abandoned that naming scheme because it was causing actual, serious problems for people. The "every other disease" bit is thus false.

The popular use of the scheme, and its predictable results, help illustrate the reasoning behind that move.

27. eager slacker

eager slacker Versed in the lewd.

Just got a call in from my boss that my position is terminated due to not showing up to work for the past weeks. I honestly expected it because all the businesses are gonna suffer and they're gonna cut who they can and I also probably wouldn't have even bothered going back into work for the year considering how long this virus is lingering. Not too worried though since I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and I can be cozy for years other than occasionally shopping for goods. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd be worried about getting fat I would be happy to live the NEET lifestyle for a year or two. I feel bad for everyone else that's getting fired though because they're gonna be in trouble if they don't have everything in order. Anyone that comes out of this healthy and somewhat economically decently is likely to be lucky ones in all this.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, wasprider and 7 others like this.
  28. daimahou

I'm 100% sure those would've happened anyways, as people are dumb.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Keldin and 7 others like this.
  29. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Nah. People are now trying to pretend that we didn't call the Spanish Flu... well, that.
    As usual, it's a small subset of american politicians acting like idiots.
    Oh, and china desperately trying to pretend that this virus didn't originate in their country.

I've seen CCP members trying to pin it on america (as a bioweapon) and on Italy.
    China is well experienced with rewriting the narrative.

As for people racistly attacking Chinese people... yeah, that's stupid. The smart thing to do would be to avoid them.
    The only actual racially focused thing I've seen was the 'I am not a virus, hug a chinese person' event, to protest against discrimination.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Keldin and 9 others like this.
  30. Reece

Reece Iceberg Slim is my role model

Well fuck. UK is on lockdown.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.