1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Quite possibly, but the point is that the medical profession changed their naming practices specifically to avoid encouraging that sort of stupidity. I only brought it up to explain why doctors are refusing to use names like "Wuhan virus" or the like for the thing.

As for iamnuff's commentary, this whole thing is getting rapidly into Rule 8 territory, and so I'm not going to go there beyond acknowledging disagreement.

2. wichajster

wichajster Away

1) Why you would be buying water? Is tap water not drinkable in USA (AFAIK Flint is an anomaly)?
    2) It is a good thing that mass buying was limited, yes you should have stockpile of food. But creating it at such time is a coordination failure
    3) Panic buying of food is less likely to end with empty shelves. Compare space taken by food and TP, compare how much you need to spend to empty shop out of all toilet paper and out of all food.

Panic buying in Poland was limited, ad AFAIK mostly ended.

And yes, you should go to shop once a week or less frequent.

3. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Drinkable, but some people for whatever reason believe bottled water tastes better... and I suppose some places the tap water does taste pretty terrible.

Worst case scenario, I have the ultimate food stockpile. It's called "the outdoors". I got traps and know what plants are good. Most of the best plants aren't really up and running yet, but there's enough to live on.

I might even be able to start using my tobacco plants for bartering purposes. Heh.

4. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Can confirm, tap water in Detroit taste bad without a filter.

-edit-

I also only like ice mountain bottle water. So if there's a zombie virus in the future with contaminated ice mountain water, I will go after brains.

5. wichajster

wichajster Away

They had mass graves on 12th March already (found in the satellite imagery). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-iran-mass-graves-qom https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/middleeast/iran-coronavirus-mass-graves-intl/index.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Iran#Satellite_imagery_from_Qom_cemetery

"On 17 March the government warned that "millions" might die from the coronavirus if people keep ignoring health guidelines and continue traveling." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Iran#Government_response

6. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Bottled water do taste better because tap water have minimal amounts of chlorine and some other stuff used as purifier. Amount in contains is save and not harmful but Human taste buds and nose are extremely sensitive to detecting it, so it kinda ruins taste. Using special water filters at home helping to remove it. There is one trade off for better taste of bottled water tho.

Tap water have to go through more strict tests for contamination ( chemical and biological) to be deemed drinkable when compared to bottled water. So technically there is greater risk that cheap bottled water will be contaminated in comparison to more expensive one or tap water. Also bottled water usually have less fluoride. Element that is added to drinkable tap water not to mind control citizens but to avoid heart and bone problems in population.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  7. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Because that's a stupid name and 1918 Influenza/1918 Flu Epidemic is much better and informative ?
    And no one is pretending that we didn't call it the Spanish Flu (see the wikipedia page).

8. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

It's pretty catchy.

9. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

10. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

Wat?

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  11. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Vat? (Insert German accent)

12. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Québec is going into shutdown, with all non-essential businesses being asked to close for 3 weeks. This happened because the number of cases in Québec tripled. Probably because they can run more tests now and well, it had the time to spread since then.

Nothing about provincial lockdown yet, but it will probably happen as well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  13. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Are you drunk out of despair?

'cause that's a lot of typos.

Ddmkm122, TanaNari and MerelysSoul like this.
  14. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Neither. Just wasn't paying attention, I guess.

Also, corrected.

My workplace is listed as essential, so I'm still gonna work, I believe.

15. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Well, Italy is fast becoming our window into what this lovely little plague looks like.

https://www.businessinsider.com/italy-coronavirus-old-population-cases-death-rate-2020-3

https://www.businessinsider.com/who...al-death-rate-rises-fatalities-numbers-2020-3

https://www.livescience.com/why-italy-coronavirus-deaths-so-high.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/italy-elderly-population-coronavirus-risk-covid-19

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-covid-children-parents.html

TL;DR? As earlier information (mostly based on SARS) predicted, this disease overwhelmingly impacts the elderly... as of right now, the average age of deaths in Italy is 80, and the youngest was a 55 year old with "significant health complications", which can mean almost anything. And the youngest 'healthy' victim to die was 61.

Ultimately the lethality sits at well below 1% for people under 50... and then it skyrockets to something well over 20% as the victim passes 60. For people under 40, it's exceedingly rare for the symptoms to even become significant... in those age groups, it really isn't much more than "just a flu". But that's only for children to young(ish) adults.

I suppose we should all be grateful we won't have to watch this kill our children as well as our (grand)parents. It is, however, going to kill a whole lot of grandparents.

... Looks like those assholes saying that the Boomers should just hurry up and die already are getting their wish...

So this is going to do fascinating things to places like Italy and Japan, with their disproportionately large senior populations, but ultimately means the disease will not be as destructive as its kill count suggests. Especially in unusually young nations like most of the Americas.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Yuhabahha, GLH, me-meboi and 9 others like this.
  16. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Note well: for this age range, still around one in seven people need hospitalization (meaning they were having respiratory failure that might well be fatal if untreated).

It's far worse than the flu whoever you are, but it's true that the really alarming fatality rates are mostly among the elderly.

Prince Chrom, Dakkaface, GLH and 11 others like this.
  17. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

That directly implies that if/when the hospital system gets overloaded anywhere, the mortality for under 50s will start to climb towards that 1 in 7 figure. More or less.

18. alethiophile

Probably not that high. You can have really alarming respiratory distress, that well merits hospitalization, which you will nonetheless survive without it.

It's certainly true that you can expect fatality rates to rise if good healthcare is not available.

FeebleEcho, Ddmkm122 and Xicree like this.
  19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Personally, I'm betting on that front, we'll be seeing more deaths from other things than direct kills. Advanced care does help, but right now this is one of those diseases in the "you're going to live or die on the merits of your immune system and we can't do much more than make you comfortable" camp. When the vaccine is up and running, that'll change the nature of the game... but until then, modern medicine barely means a damn thing.

However... taxed medical resources doesn't just mean cases of Wuhan Flu going untreated. It also means car accident victims who don't have an emergency room to go to, women going into labor at home (something that comes with numerous risks thanks to our poorly evolved bone structure), and probably a handful of tardnuggets who think drinking bleach will kill the minor sniffles that the panic-stricken hamsters that double as their minds think is all the plagues in human history combined. I guess bleach technically kills all possible diseases (including life), but I don't think it conforms to good medical practice.

GLH, FeebleEcho, me-meboi and 8 others like this.
  20. alethiophile

This is somewhat true in that there are no (widely used) specific therapies, but modern supportive care is very, very good. If you're the only guy in the ICU, they can put you on ECMO and keep you alive through having no working lungs for days on end. (Plus of course all the less extreme options like normal ventilators, which can absolutely keep you alive through respiratory issues that would kill you otherwise.)

It is of course also true that if the ICUs are overflowing with corona patients, the guy who starts getting chest pains is SOL.

Dakkaface, me-meboi, Ddmkm122 and 5 others like this.
  21. henkalv

henkalv Know what you're doing yet?

Went to the store for the first time in 12 days today, felt surreal to be out of the house.

I live with my old father who is a retired doctor so we were ahead of the curve when it came to entering self isolation. He hasn't been called to work, don't think our hospitals need personell that badly and I'm profoundly grateful for that, with his health I'm convinced he wouldn't make it.

22. wichajster

wichajster Away

Yes, adults without health complications are very unlikely to die from it.

But many have health complications and are unaware and it is still far more deadly than flu.

It is not enough to cause massive deaths and societal changes, but enough to be wary about that. If you are apparently healthy adult below 45 it is one of the things that can kill you this year. It is behind usual things like accident, suicide etc, but even something like 0,05% chance is quite scary for me.

There was for example this famous cause of 21 year old dying, he was unaware about his leukemia. https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ronavirus-he-didnt-know-he-also-had-leukemia/

23. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

Can confirm, the shelves don't look as tragic as in US. Things are looking reasonable on that front, but I have concerns whether the society will actually work to stop the spread, since we already had dumbasses trying to escape quarantine.

24. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

They make you scan a QR code now at every entrance to every place. It's this thing where they use your phone service provider and the CCTVs to track where you've been for the last fourteen days so that they can be absolutely certain you haven't been in contact with an infected.

25. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

In the context of that, I feel like it might be okay to post this here (mods please let me know if I'm wrong):

Ooh my little batty one, batty one.
    When you gonna cost me some time, Corona?
    Ooh you make my fever run, my fever run.
    Got my lungs full of slime Corona
    Never gonna stop, give it up.
    Such a dirty hand. Always wipe it up for a touch
    where the sneezes land. My my my i yi woo.
    M M M My Corona

Come a little closer huh, ah will ya huh.
    Close enough to land in my eyes, Corona.
    Keeping it a mystery gets to me
    Running down my pasta supplies, Corona
    M M M My Corona
    M M M My Corona

When you gonna give it to me, give it to me.
    It is just a matter of time Corona
    Is it just destiny, destiny?
    Or is our health care system a crime, Corona?
    M M M My Corona
    M M M My Corona
    M M M My Corona
    M M M My Corona

In addition to being mildly topical and/or amusing, I've removed all the pedophilia from the original lyrics. Bonus!

26. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Huh, I was just talking about how well it'd work.

Now all you have to do is a song called Necrophilia to Oh Cecelia.

But it's probably better for everyone if you don't.

Ddmkm122, MerelysSoul and evildice like this.
  27. alethiophile

If we're doing this:

28. Solvakian

Solvakian Versed in the lewd.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo issues a 'Stay Home Work Safe' order for Houston and all of Harris County.

Figured I go ahead and post this here.

29. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

I've got a hoard, but I'm probably going to have to risk one more shopping trip (in a week or so, when I predict the supermarkets will have relaxed "no hoarding"), as otherwise I'd have to restock in about a month and that'll be during the peak.

(I seem to be a lot more rational than most of the hoarders, insofar as I went for an actual balanced diet and only stuff that wouldn't go to waste. Cereal, treacle and long-life milk for breakfast, muesli bars for lunch, SPAM-a-like and rice plus carrots for dinner, ice cream for dessert, plus dark chocolate and prunes for snacks. Hits all the vitamins (A from carrots, B1-3 and 9 from fortified cereal, B6 from the meat and chocolate, B12 from meat, C from prunes, D from supplements I was taking anyway, K from the milk and ice cream), reasonably tasty, all non-perishable and surprisingly cheap - it was about $180 AUD for a month and a half of all those plus half a week of normal groceries, only about 10-15% more than I'd have paid for my normal diet.)

EDIT: I'm a fair bit below the "adequate intake" for biotin, but nobody actually knows how much biotin you need (the "adequate intake" is a known overestimate based on "we know infants get enough when breastfed, so scale a 100%-milk diet up to an adult's weight and if you've got that much it's definitely enough") and it's no lower than my normal diet. I could probably do with some nuts from time to time, though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  30. wichajster

wichajster Away

I would argue that buying food for month that you will eat is not hoarding.

Hoarding is buying more than you will actually consume within a reasonable time. Some stockpile is a good thing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Yuhabahha, GLH, linkjames24 and 10 others like this.