1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

And Sunset is taller than either of them. Therefore assuming any sense of proportionality holds, she'll be taller than 5'8" and shorter than 7'3" (assuming the Renegade is the same height as the canonical Grayven).

Clearly, white. Not only is that the color of the trollface icon, showing up looking like the power of Life and then not being a White Lantern would be the ultimate Lantern troll.

Cuchulin, Jormuungaand and Vorian like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    If you have a descriptor then there's probably a god somewhere that has those characteristics.
    More like New Gods but not much like either.
    Yes.
    If talking to Canis doesn't sound weird then I'm failing as a writer.
    Canis is assuming that the SI is mind controlling him.
    Immune is an absolute state. You either are or you aren't.
    Sort of, but he's not capable of operating
    It's the difference between someone firing a signal flare and someone tapping on a spider's web.

Sort of.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Canis isn't bothered that the SI may be mind controlling him?
    Well that certainly says something about Apokaliptian culture.

Is the paragon more resistant, not immune, to magic now because of his soul essentially being the heart of an absurdly powerful entity and not because of any of his equipment like spell eater, mage slayer or tattoos?

When you said that he isn't capable of operating, does that mean that he can't operate New God tech like they can?

Ngamer11 and DAT_NOOB like this.
  4. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

And... he's okay with that?

Ardy, DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he may prefer it.

Remember he grew up on a planet where their ruler has a leash on their souls.

Ngamer11, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

More resistant to some things, less resistant to others.
    He could probably turn it on or off, but he'd have nothing like the Renegade's control.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  7. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

To be more specific on why all the animal people in Thundercats (2011) are anthropomorphic . . .

Mumm-Ra used Human blood as the base for his various experiments. The Thunderians (cat people) are special in that for them he also used his own blood and the blood of Snarf when creating them. Mostly because he used the cat people as his army and wanted them to be stronger to keep the other slave species in line.

So I guess all the anthros are technically genetically engineered Humans branched off into separate species.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is he more resistant to magic in comparison to an average, or even a spiritually powerful, human, excluding his spell eaters, mage slayers and tattoos?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

At this current time, how does Sunset compare as a mage to Circe?

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sunset may be better in theory, but Circe has thousands of years worth of practical experience.

Lupercal likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Depends what sort of magic you're talking about. His metaphysique would bulldoze a lot of spells, but it also makes him a large target and vulnerable to feedback in a way most people aren't.
    Basically.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey if an Old God were to ascend a mortal to godhood then would that mortal be like a New God, or would they lose their physical form and become arcane energy like other Old Gods, only being able to interact in the mortal universe through avatars?

DrThoth likes this.
  13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

We have one example of the former, as Renegade explicitly compared Celestial Archer (empowered by a Chinese moon goddess and thus most likely an Old God) when introducing the Awakening process, and Archer is also able to use and understand God-speech. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Circe (while still beholden to Hecate) demonstrated the same abilities, though I presume she'd also have them. In mythology Circe has divine heritage in her own right (daughter of Helios with her mother varying but often Hecate herself), but it doesn't seem like that's the case for this fic or maybe general DC canon.

Since 'Old Gods' is more of an umbrella term rather than describing definite shared characteristics, the ascension process probably depends on the specific god doing it.

Will Hecate show up in the Renegade timeline to meet and/or confront Circe or Renegade? Her actions when Circe renounced her power seem to indicate animosity, though it may have been classic godly spite and pettiness (though as far as I know, Hecate doesn't have a reputation for that like some of the Olympians).

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's possible that gods use diffrent methods to give mortals their powers.

The one that empowered Archer could have made him into something resembling a New God by altering his soul, while Hecate empowering Circe was her just giving a piece of her power to her without altering her that much.

The only thing we know of Hecate's personality so far is that Donna said that she was weird, after Circe and Sorrow invaded the island.

Circe may also not be a daughter of Helios in this story.
    I asked Zoat and he said that he is not sure, so maybe she was just called as beautiful as the sun one time and then someone thought she was Helios's daughter

When I asked if by making mortals full on gods do Old Gods make them like them, arcane energy beings, or like New Gods, physical gods, not just empowering a mortal to make them into a demigod like with Celestial Archer.

Lupercal likes this.
  15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

And I think the answer holds: depends on the ascension. Just injecting power to an existing mortal is almost certainly going to result in a New God, although the soul of a New God is robust enough that the physical body becomes something of an extension of the metaphysique instead of a separate thing in and of itself. On the other hand, I don't see any reason why you COULDN'T restructure a mortal soul to become independent of a physical body; the Terror Thing is an example of this.

Vorian, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  16. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

regard

(Sorry, I know it's a couple days back. Everyone working from home means hella big workloads for us IT folk right now - especially since we're working from home too and have to get ourselves set so we can help everyone else - so I'm a few days behind.)

Somehow I'm guessing that all three of those are firmly within the category of things I would regret googling.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Lupercal like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

She's a tiny bit taller, and given regular pony's translate in at about 5'2" she would at most be 5'9" if the mirror is following it's canon rules.

19. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

If Starlight wants to access the power of her Alicorn form in a human body on earth (to avoid adoring children) she might be able to work out a way to create a "Daydream Shimmer" form.

20. Mr Zoat

Something is wrong with that sentence.

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The second one isnt. It's about horse haircuts.

Darko, Gilhelmi and Lupercal like this.
  22. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

*me muttering under my breath* Oh good, a vaccine to stop the spread of human stupidity. Maybe I can find TP in the store again.

*I start humming "If we make it through December" by the great Merle Haggard*

Doccer, Darko, DAT_NOOB and 1 other person like this.
  23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

A vaccine by christmas is already an out-there hope, there's no need to go full absurdist.

24. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Meh. The way this thing spreads by December either the epidemic will have died off due to social isolation and quarantines denying it any more victims or enough people will have survived it that we'll get herd immunity. Let's hope for the former because the latter will mean hundreds of thousands of deaths to get there. But, either way, this whole thing will be over by the end of summer.

(Yes, I'm well aware of the possibility that I'm wrong, but let me hope damnit.)

Darko, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I think you’re wrong. Especially because this thing can have a symptomatic people carrying it for who knows how long and infecting others. We could have someone infected no carrying it for months and infecting others when quarantines end. The best thing that can be said about it is that hopefully this ends the careers of certain politicians who shall not be named. Hopefully it changes the opinions of people belonging to certain anti-scientific extremist factions as well. Seriously (according to Facebook, so possibly bullshit) there’s people, apparently including doctors, in the US who believe that this is punishment from God and that it should end by Easter, because Trump promised.

Hopefully, that’s apolitical enough?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  26. BrokenAscendent

BrokenAscendent Filthy Heretic Moderator

This isn't the thread for this. Please cease off topic discussion.

27. Threadmarks: Lantern Corps, Ho!
    Mr Zoat

Day 297
    Mid morning

In my late teens, I spent about six months' worth of Saturdays working on a local farm. I wasn't much good at it and I didn't like it at all. Now, looking around the farm lands which will keep the people of Thundera from starving this winter, I'm…

Okay. Pride is in the mix, but I can't honestly say I did a whole lot of physical farm work myself. Fortunately neither the rats nor the low-caste cats who make up most of the local population have any aversion to manual labour. Between the lizard clans and Mumm-Ra's followers all of the food reserves which the fallen nation had put aside were taken or destroyed. But I organised this, kept disparate and mutually antagonistic people focused and working. And now most of them will survive.

Those whom I didn't have to kill in order to make this happen, at least.

Even as I think it, my eyes drift towards the gibbet in the centre of town, and its desiccated inhabitant with the 'I STOLE FOOD' sign around his neck. Most people don't even look at it now, which is the way I prefer it. A few do glance my way… Hm. They don’t back away or.. attempt to shield their children. I look for a moment at the ring on my right middle finger as I contemplate the matter. They know what I've done for them, the farmlands I've organised, the order I've brought… The very basics of civilisation. But they don't love me, nor shall they.

Nor should they.

'I TRADED SLAVES'

"Ah, my lord?"

Most of them don’t love me. I suppose if you save a mother's children from starvation and make her your de facto number two, you shouldn't be surprised if she becomes somewhat attached to you.

I smile at her as she approaches, note pad in hand. "Khoah, what news?"

'I WAS A MURDERER'

"The fourth tilling machine is back in operation."

I nod again. Third Earth has all manner of technology, but for whatever reason the various species often aren't anything like as sophisticated as it is. Presumably, that's because it was never in Mumm-Ra's interest to tell his slaves how any of it worked. As a result, when they finally broke free there.. just weren't enough people who knew enough for them to sustain the level of civilisation they were used to. Just.. digging around their ruins enabled me to get enough data to construct simple tractors. An offer of sanctuary to one of the few races who know anything useful about engineering got me power generation. Of course, I still had to teach a bunch of superstitious peasants how to use any of it…

"That's good to hear. I was concerned that we might not be able to manufacture the parts we need. What does that do for our production in the next growing season?"

"Assuming a reasonable growing year, we should have a moderate surplus. And it will allow us to extend the roads to the last of the farms." I nod again. It still strikes me as strange, how little infrastructure even a relatively advanced place like Thundera had. The city itself was solid stone, mined from local quarries. But the surrounding area… "We might be able to make it as far as the City, depending on when the rains come."

"Not Mount Plun-darr?"

"Not without a lot more resources, and…" Her eyes drift unavoidably to the sword at my side, and stone in its guard. With them, a hour's meditation on fear causes the ring to recover about two percent of its maximum charge. In practice, that means that I can't risk a long range scavenger hunt more than once a month or so. "The cats don't want to go back there."

Because that's where most of the slaves taken by the lizards were sold, and where many of their fellows were worked to death. Foolish superstition again. "Oh, I think seeing the rats and lizards benefit from central heating next winter will change their minds quickly enough." But it's going to be a problem. Thundrillium isn't anything like as high a priority as stone or wood or iron, to say nothing of food, but we're going to need it before Mumm-Ra sends any serious force in our direction. There just isn't enough wood around here-.

I hear the dull hum of one of the anti-gravity vehicles we took from Mumm-Ra's forces. Ring? Ah, it seems that my third in command is heading back from patrol, with a few guests. Given that the guests have manacles around their wrists and ankles and bags over their heads, I'm going to assume that the encounter was hostile.

Khoah's ears twitch. "She's back early."

What happens next depends on exactly what they did. If they're just desperate refugees who turned to banditry to avoid starvation, they get a tattoo and a period of punishment duty. If they're career bandits or slavers, I will publically execute them. Pumyra will be taking them to the plaza in front of my manor. Pumyra understands the utility of fear rather well, and is quite supportive of my judicial theatre.

"Yes." I offer her my right hand. "Shall we?"

"Um." While she's not afraid of violence, Khoah has never gotten used to the sort of extreme I'm prepared to go to when doling out punishment. In a survival situation like this, the purpose of the punishment for the first offence isn't just to prevent a second offence in the one being punished, but in all of those watching as well. "Of.. course, my lord."

I nod, and extend the ring's flight aura around us to lift us both into the sky. "How are your children getting on with their new teacher?"

She shakes off whatever disquiet she's feeling, smiling at the thought of them.

"They're very fond of him. Every day when they come home they can't stop talking about all of the fascinating things they've learned."

Her older two.. left home shortly after the death of their father. Some of the refugees from the city mentioned seeing kittens matching their description, but… Realistically, those could have been anyone. The remaining two were left fairly withdrawn, but one of the few advantages of the current crisis is that they're regularly in contact with other children their age. And they're young enough that they'll grow up surrounded by technology and consider it normal.

A small crowd has gathered as we come in to land on the small stage on the manor side of the plaza. My official residence, and the seat of my 'government'. I'll probably end up abandoning it in a few years so that I can set up a capital somewhere more central, more defensible. But for now the wood and stone building is perfectly serviceable. We land, and I sit in a heavy wooden chair in the centre while Khoah stands next to me just as the grav-floater swings into the plaza. Pumyra and two other soldiers with four prisoners; one adult male, one adult female and two children. A family, perhaps? Probably best to leave the children's bags on if she intends for me to-.

"Ho, Lord Protector! I think today's my lucky day!"

"Pumyra!" The grav-floater drifts to a halt in front of the stage, the rat at the controls clearly enjoying her role. "What do you have for me today?"

She's grinning as she steps back from the crew station towards the adult male, shoving him forward. Odd. Pumyra isn't really the grinning sort. Ever since I dug her out from under the rubble during the flight from the capital, she's been a veritable font of bile and barely controlled rage. "The person I hate most on all of Third Earth." She rips off the bag, and… Ah.

Lion-O blinks in the light for a moment, before focusing his attention fully on me. He's.. younger than the version I grew up watching… Physically, anyway. His hair… Should that be 'mane'? Is a good deal shorter and is at least paying lip service to the laws of physics.

"Lion-O."

"King Lion-O."

"King?" I look around the crowd. The lizards look decidedly unsettled, but it's the cats I'm most concerned about. The last thing I need is any doubt about who is in charge. "You abandoned your people in favour of chasing after Mumm-Ra. You left them as slaves, or starving in the wilderness. You are the last person with any right to claim authority here." He grits his teeth and tests the chains as I visually dismiss him. "Pumyra, who are the others?"

She nods, and her dog soldier pulls the bag off the adult woman. I assume that's the continuity's Cheetara. She's some sort of warrior-priestess here, though I don't know the details. And quite possibly the last living member of her sect. If there's any way to get her to stay on as a teacher it would be worth pursuing… But I doubt it would work. Unlike Lion-O she isn’t looking at my face, but she is trying hard not to stare at the energy stone in my sword.

Khoah gasps is shock as the bags are pulled from the heads of the children, and she's dashing forwards even as the surprised whisper of 'Mama?' reaches my ears. WilyKit and WilyKat. Normally I'd be delighted, but right now the issue requires seriousness.

"Pumyra, release the kittens into the care of their mother, and bring the other two inside." I stand and turn away, letting my yellow-sigiled cape swirl about me. "We can decide what to do with them at our leisure."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'I TRADED SLAVES' not 'I TRAIDED SLAVES'

29. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Sweet. THundercats, HOOOOO!

Also Fear!Paul too. Interesting.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder how he got enlightenment?

Zoat I think you once said that the SI no longer has orange text because of his enlightenment, unless he is using the Honden, so is yellow enlightenment diffrent to allow this version to still have yellow text, or is this the fear of his subjects and not his own fear or projection of fear?