1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Prince Charles has Coronavirus. Time for the line of Succession to get some changes.

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  2. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

You're a braver soul than I am to eat that. I'm not that desperate. Currently getting my non-perishable or otherwise long shelf life protein from beans, nuts, protein bars, canned fish, jerky, eggs, cheese, and such.

But yeah, I also forked out for around a month's worth of food and holed up. In Australia there really isn't any excuse for anyone to go to the shops more than once every 1-2 weeks at this point. Not even if you're poor, since welfare payments happen on a fortnightly schedule.

Ddmkm122, TanaNari and MerelysSoul like this.
  3. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

What changes? In the event that there's no son to inherit, it goes to the eldest grandson- after that, it gets more complicated, but can go out fifteen steps removed if necessary.

These rules were invented in the dark ages... and if there's one thing the dark ages understood, it's that there was a good chance at least one plague was gonna tear a swath through the inheriting line in any given generation.

4. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Woolies' canned corned beef is okay (basically tastes like normal corned beef, although the texture's mushier). Their canned ham has a powerful stench when uncanned, but the actual taste isn't too bad either.

I'm just too attached to meat in the centre of the plate.

(I agree re: infrequent shopping being good. I think Woolies can figure that out too, hence why I'm expecting the "no hoarding" provisions to get lifted once there's actually food on the shelves again.)

5. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Turns out I live in basically the worst place with the virus in Michigan. Literally thousands of confirmed cases.

So much for ever getting a job this year and the next since it's highly likely I would die if I get this virus even though I'm still young. Joys of being ravaged by many illnesses I guess.

I am also starting to cough and my chest feels weird, but it feels exactly what I normally get. Which goes into the first thing I ranted about in this thread, it's impossible for me to know if I have the virus or not unless it kills me. Joy.

If I ever stop posting for like 4 years on this site and sb and sv you know what happened. Until then I'm just going to ignore it see about alternatives to getting money instead of a job. >.>

Ddmkm122, wasprider and MerelysSoul like this.
  6. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

One of the early symptoms seems to be the loss of taste and smell. (Not everyone might get it though, so still look out.)

7. OverReactionGuy

Still have those.

8. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Point of order: the common disease caused by coronaviruses is not the flu but the cold. Call it the Batcold, or Coldkiller XX, or something. :V

MHLord, Ddmkm122, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  9. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

No. It's not.

Human coronaviruses are responsible for a grand total of around 15% of cases of what we call the "common cold." Colds, however, are by definition upper respiratory infections -- and ones that primarily effect the nose at that.

SARS-type coronaviruses cause a unique form of pneumonia, one that acutely attacks both the upper and lower respiratory systems. This is why it's called "severe acute respiratory syndrome."

People are dying. Do. Not. Trivialize. This.

10. Nickballas

Nickballas I wish I had more Pride.

I don't. Me and my family are staying at home as much as posible. My Dad shouts his head off at his friends to not go outside for trivial things over the phone and goes out for his Job unlike me because it's kinda necessary. Handwashing is the bare necessity in our house already. This vindicated his rather reasonable conserns about this stuff since he already was on high alert about the virus months before it was proven rather infectious.

Jiven, FeebleEcho, me-meboi and 4 others like this.
  11. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

Given that your last ten posts in this thread have been about how it's not a flu and not adding anything else to the discussion or even bothering to adress the context of the comments you're replying to in the first place I'd argue you're doing significantly more to trivialize the issue than the average user using a colloquial term.

12. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

Disclaimer: The following article refers to an untested and somewhat controversial theory.

Things may not be as bad as they look.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weir...y-science-study-covid-19-infection-half-of-uk

If this is true, then the actual rate for severe cases of COVID-19 reaction is probably closer to 0.6%, and the actual mortality rate may be lower than that.

One thing in favor this interpretation is that travel from Wuhan to the US was not restricted till late January. Which means that it probably had multiple points of entry to the US well before January, and it would be extremely strange if it wasn't.

Anti-body tests and surveys are quicker to take than testing for live virus using PCR (which takes 5-12 hours, a lab technician, and a lab).

Unfortunately, if the interpretation is true, then the disease is probably endemic, and at risk populations need a vaccine before they can freely travel.

13. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

You're talking to someone who has holed up with a month and a half's worth of food, and who went to the trouble to call his estranged mother and tell her he loved her in case those were his last words to her. The former of those I posted in this thread a couple of posts before the one that sent you off the handle. Moreover, I was responding to someone else mischaracterising SARS 2 as a flu. Do you really think I don't already know everything you just posted (which isn't actually in contradiction to what I said)? Do you really think I'm trivialising this?

Or maybe, just maybe, am I engaging in gallows humour while attempting to clear up misinformation in an attempt to improve the reception of that message?

EDIT: I get that your nerves are frayed. Mine are frayed too. But if they're frayed enough to make this kind of blunder I'd suggest that stepping back entirely might be more utile.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Jiven, Ddmkm122, daimahou and 6 others like this.
  14. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Boris Johnson has tested positive for Coronavirus.
    That is all.

MHLord, Jiven, Ddmkm122 and 1 other person like this.
  15. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

From Dr. Fauci: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Look at the third paragraph. There is a good chance that the reported fatality rate is too high (because the survey sample is biased by testing people who are showing up with symptoms, and because even within those with symptoms there was a wide-range of severity).

Hopefully vaccines will enter trial next month (early spring, see paragraph 6).

Highly lethal diseases tend to burn themselves out quickly. This one has possible severe complications, but hopefully we can build herd immunity fairly soon.

The vast majority of cases appear to be in NYC, where the mayor encouraged people to go out, mix, and mingle as of early March. Sure enough, 2-3 weeks down the line, there was a rash of cases.

Take a look at the CDC main page for COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/

You'll see the vast majority of US cases are in New York and New Jersey (by about an order of magnitude). In general, unless you're in NYC or environs, you'll be fairly safe and are likely to get hospital care.

At this point, one of the big dangers is reserving hospital capacity far away from the NYC epicenter in an abundance of caution.

MerelysSoul and Ddmkm122 like this.
  16. OverReactionGuy

3k+ cases and 96 death currently I guess in the area I'm in. I still blame the airport. Like 6 mins away from it.

MerelysSoul and Ddmkm122 like this.
  17. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Kinda wish that Deadly Snark would stop sucking China's dick in the SB thread.

CrossyCross, MerelysSoul and Ddmkm122 like this.
  18. OverReactionGuy

Here, have some humor.

19. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

My hands are like dried claws from all the washing. Ow, fuck.

20. OverReactionGuy

My hands were like that before the virus hit America! GET ON MY LEVEL! :sneaky:

Ddmkm122, MerelysSoul and TanaNari like this.
  21. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Aside from various scars caused by everything ranging from getting stuck in a door to getting the shit tore out of me by a less than alert squirrel that for some reason didn't notice the nine year old grabbing for it to numerous fights with my sisters, plus that one time my best friend almost cut off my pinkie finger with a hatchet (lucky me, it was quite dull)... my skin is in excellent shape. I don't even bother with shaving cream, a little water and I'm good. My mutt ancestry won me the genetic lottery, it did.

Then, given the shit my relatives have somehow managed to live through, we've evolved to survive hell. Stands to reason those of us who aren't poisoning ourselves to death with poor life decisions would be quite healthy.

22. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

Wat

Ddmkm122, daimahou and MerelysSoul like this.
  23. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

You poor fucking bastard, and your avatar really is perfect for you.

24. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Handwashing with soap shouldn't be THAT bad unless you're taking things to a truly silly extent. Have you been using alcohol based hand sanitiser by any chance? That stuff truly is the devil.

25. DestyNova

DestyNova Getting sticky.

Not that much sanitizer, just if I need to visit the food store. I work with food so I wash a lot.

26. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

Remember to moisturize or else the cracks in skin will have detrimental effect on disease prevention.

Biigoh, Nekraa, Ddmkm122 and 4 others like this.
  27. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

I am not a doctor, but you can use common sense.

If you are self-isolating, you don't need to wash your hands any more than normal, unless you are exposing yourself to possible virus vectors.

If you are in food service, follow your health guidelines (and/or wear frequently swapped latex gloves). If you are in a high touch environment with lots of people, wear a mask if you can and if possible wear disposable latex gloves.

Otherwise, if you can avoid touching your face directly, then you only need to wash once after you come back in. If you can't avoid touching your face, your odds are slightly worse if you touch surfaces that may carry the virus, see if you can avoid putting your hands on counters or other surfaces (stick 'em in your pockets if you can).

And as d.fish said, use lotion, cracks are no good for your skin.

The alcohol sanitizer is also no good for your skin, possibly worse than a lotion soap. It will dry your skin out something fierce. Use it before interacting with someone else, or after using a common (out of the house) high touch surface.

You weren't going to avoid virus from the people living in the same house as you, worry about it before going out, and after coming in.

Prince Chrom, MHLord, Jiven and 4 others like this.
  28. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Does alcohol sanitiser even work on viruses, since you don't wash it off?

29. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yes, easily.

Viruses are, essentially, just a string of DNA protected and transported by a thin bubble of fatty protein. Which is technically true of all cells, but most organisms have a series of protective proteins and chemical reactions that at least lets them protect themselves for much, much, longer.

Anything that damages protein (which is to say almost everything) will at the very least disable a virus, even in quantities far too diluted to cause much more than minor irritation to a human's eyes.

Isopropyl is very good at destroying organic material of all sorts, so it will dismantle (I hesitate to say 'all' since nature always has that one exception) viruses in a matter of seconds.

It's bacteria and fungi you gotta be worried about surviving basic cleaning techniques. Especially bacteria... fucking MRSA...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  30. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Mom has a bad cough. Pretty sure it's because she smokes like a chimney, but it's still worrying to hear at times like this.
    She can't exactly go to the doctors to get it looked at either.
    Speaking of, I got a bigass wooden splinter right under my thumbnail right before this whole thing kicked off, and I was never able to get all the wood out.

According to stuff I saw online, I should be going to the doctors so they can cut my thumbnail open and extract it, but...
    Nah, they got bigger things to worry about, and i'd rather not head into a building full of sick people.
    Not unless my finger swells up or starts leaking pus or something.