1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Does Prince Jon still possess the invulnerability/resistance to harm that Odin gave him?
    When he talked to the SI he said that his wife tells him to not try and test out what can actually hurt him, so i was wondering if that meant he still has it?

Did he marry the Valkirye?

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Surprised. I just assumed the 2011 series didn't even have a Mumm-Rana.

I guess joining Mumm-Ra through Pumyra and helping him establish order throughout the universe could be an interesting playthrough.

Darko likes this.
  3. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

One more part for this version of Paul tomorrow.
    Depends, if he was in an enraged mono-focus on Mumm-Ra, he may not have even noticed her (sort of like in Robotech, with Rick Hunter not noticing T.R. Edwards in the wreckage of the Grand Cannon when he was rescuing Lisa Hayes)
    Sounds like they came here because they heard the village had working vehicles, then were arrested when Pumira recognized Lion-o. The other 2 may not be expecting them back for hours yet.
    At least the Twins will know that their mom and siblings are safe, and while Kaho may worry about her kids going into danger with Lion-o, at least she knows they were doing ok this far and survived the fall of Thundaria..

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes and yes.
    It didn't, but we see Mumm-Ra use the cats to attack the places which originally held the stones. Someone must have been using them.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat, will the Paragon ever take on an apprentice in his capacity as an Earth superhero?

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

You mean, another one?

7. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I think there was a TTG Red Lantern one that wanted to kill the universe

8. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I am pretty sure that was an omake.

9. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

That may be one of the unofficial/meme ones.

Along with Ame-Comi Violet Lantern Paul and Black Lantern Not-A-Vampire (Almost Blood and Chaos) Paul.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes. Someone fun, like Lex Luthor in a tiny mask where no one believes that he's really Lex but Paul who's so done he just goes with it.

Bramble Thorn, w34v3r and Darko like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ardy there is this series of fics on Ao3 and Ff. Net where Bruce tries to tell people he's Batman and no one believes him, even the other members of the Bat family don't.
    It's hilarious:D

Doccer, Simonbob, Uyurgezn and 2 others like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Lantern Corps, Ho!
    Mr Zoat

Day 297
    Mid evening

"Are you our Pa now?"

I.. freeze in the act of tucking Wilykin into bed, and the slight rustling of the sheets suggests that his sister has squirmed her way out from under the covers and is watching me as well. I can't see her expression in this light, though I'm sure they can both see mine perfectly well. Their low light vision is far better than mine, when I'm not enhancing it with the ring anyway.

"Why do you ask?"

"'kit and 'kat wanted to know." Something else occurs to him. "Is it really them?"

"Don’t you recognise them?"

He squirms uncomfortable. "I dunno. They went away…"

I nod. "I suppose that must seem like a long time for you. And they're a bit bigger now." He looks at me for a moment, then nods. "I can assure you that they are in fact your missing brother and sister. Your mother remembers what they look like extremely well."

"Did you-" Wilytab wriggles a little further out of bed. "-use your ring?"

"Yes, I used my ring. It's definitely them."

Of course, I only did a DNA check. I haven't seen anything on this planet that could fake that, but given the vast range of levels of technical sophistication that exists here it wouldn't come as a total surprise if something like that happened. Or magic, perhaps. But I think I'll keep my fears to myself.

"So are you?"

While I fully intend to have a slightly more nuanced version of this conversation with Khoah in a little while, I think the kittens can have the simplified version.

"I could never replace your father. But in his absence, perhaps I can substitute for him."

"What does 'substute' mean?"

I nod and smile. "You know how when I go away sometimes and people have questions for me, and your mother answers them?"

"Uh-huh."

"When that happens, your mother is my substitute. She's not becoming me, but she's doing my job for a little while."

"So you're doing Pa's job?"

I lean forward, kiss his forehead and ruffle his hair with my right hand. "Yes, I am."

"Okay." He wriggles around so that he's lying on his side. "'night, Substitute Pa."

"Goodnight Wilykin." I stand up. "Goodnight Wilytab."

"'night."

I smile at her, then turn around and walk out of the room, carefully closing the door behind-.

"'Substitute Pa'."

Wilykit and Wilykat are looking at me in a way which suggests that they're extremely dubious about me. These two kittens have been through the wringer since leaving home, and Khoah has been delighted to have them back. I make eye contact with each of them, then move my right forefinger to my lips in a 'shush' gesture. Wilykit glances at the door behind me and grimaces slightly while Wilykat glares at me with his arms folded across his chest.

I lead the way down the corridor into a currently unused meeting room. This room has a battery powered electric light in the centre of the table, so I reach over and turn it on low as the older kittens file in behind me.

"Will the two of you be staying once-?"

"What are you doing with Mama?"

I look up to see that Wilykit has joined in with her brother's mock scowling. Oh. No, that isn't supposed to be mock scowling. That's.. adorable.

"Keeping the cats alive. Your mother's farm was far enough away from Thundera that the lizards didn't loot it. There was good farmland, but not enough people to work it. Plus, your mother had an excellent knowledge of farming. Starting the new settlement here just made sense."

"No. What are you doing with her?" Her eyes momentarily widen. "Are you controlling her with your magic ring?"

"No." I shake my head. "Yellow rings can't control people. And even if I could, I don't have enough power to waste on something like that." They're both watching me intently. "Khoah has been invaluable in making this place work. I'd be quite lost without her. Is… Something worrying you?"

Wilykat starts. "You have people tied to posts! With signs around their necks telling everyone what you killed them for!"

I nod. "And you don't think that Khoah would accept that."

"You killed a guy for stealing food! We-."

He stops talking, and his sister's eyes widen in horror. Ah.

"Children, there's a big difference between stealing food because you're starving in a place that has plenty of food, and stealing food when you've been given as much to eat as everyone else in a place that has barely enough for everyone to survive. Khoah wasn't comfortable with it." For stealing food, anyway. No problem with the death penalty for slavery and murder. "However, she's lived on the frontier long enough to know that sometimes there isn't a lot of room for finesse in maintaining order. And generally, that's my responsibility."

Wilykat frowns thoughtfully while Wilykit looks away. Wilykat then looks up at me as his brow smoothes.

"Do you intend to stay? Or carry on travelling with Lion-O? I know that Khoah would like you to stay, and…" Huh. "I would as well. You're far too young to be out by yourselves."

Wilykit scowls petulantly. "We're not by ourselves."

Wilykat nods, arms folded across his chest as he juts his chin out defiantly. "Yeah. Lion-O never would have got to the Book of Omens without us."

Whatever that is.

I nod. "Alright. Please know that you have a home here whenever you want to return." They look at me suspiciously, then give me a small nod. "And you can explain why you're leaving to your mother."

A pair of winces.

"Now, I think you two should probably be getting to bed as well."

"Hey." Wilykat tries to glare again. "We're adventurers now-."

"I'll send your mother up to tell you a bed time story. How about that?"

They look at each other for a moment, then turn around and file out.

That appears to be going… Alright. They don't despise me, at least. I can't see the confrontation with Mumm-Ra lasting more than a few years, so I'll have plenty of time to build bridges with them later. I turn off the lamp and then head out of the room, turn left and down the stairs into the living area.

Khoah looks up from the.. books she brought from her old home. She was going through them with the kittens a little earlier and I didn't want to disturb them.

"How did the meeting go?"

"Lion-O may be salvageable." I cross the room and sit down on the sofa next to her. "Cheetara was a bit useless, though. Apparently clerics here are very different to where I'm from."

"Why did you want a cleric?"

Oh, there's no point dancing around the subject any longer.

"Because I love you and want-" She blinks several times in quick succession. "-to ask you to marry me, but I was concerned that you might still be in the formal mourning period for your late husband." I shrug. "Are you? I'll quite understand if you are, or if you're just not interested in me in that way-."

"Um. No. Wilytom's… Death left a.. hole in my life I.. didn't know if I would ever fill. But youEverything you've done…"

I lean forwards carefully and embrace her. She hugs me back, the right side of her face rubbing against my cheek.

"I'm delighted to hear you say that."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. init101

init101 The Prime of Primes

Does the world of Thundercats have a different language? Can Paul understand anyone without the ring?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'and is watching me as well' not 'and it watching me as well'

'then nods' not 'the nods'

'if you are' not 'is you are'

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aww, Yaul is such a good Substitute Pa :3

16. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

17. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I am concerned about the long term government stability.

With two of the three main officers being Cats there's only so long this can go before familiar rumbles start up.

18. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    Yes, but it's basically just Mumm-Ra.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I expect that he would have used it to teach him the language rather then constantly drain power to translate.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Children's questions. The bane of any adult's life. How to answer them without using concepts they don't understand yet? (And thus the idea of 'lies-to-children' was created...)

Heh. Given some of the things we saw Mumm-ra do in the series... A very good question.

And if their mother says it's so, then it must be true. QED :p

Ah, 'magic' rings. I suppose that's what the children assume it is, no matter how many times it's explained otherwise.

Something he's very good at, what with his Enlightenment...

'Lies-to-children'. Making it easier to explain complicated things to children since humanity had language.

Ah, too cute...

See, that's how you explain it. plain and simple...

Yaul will make a surprisingly good father... Though I pity any boy looking to date the girls... If they can withstand his shovel speech without wetting themselves, they're keepers.

Boy, they really stuck to that naming scheme for the family, didn't they?

And now for...

...The older kids. This is going to involve less lies, I think. At least they're sensible enough to let the kittens sleep.

I've no doubt they'll end up leaving, but knowing they have somewhere to come home to? Much more motivating.

They're gonna need a few years for that to not look cute...

With Yellow light? God no. Now, Orange, you might have had a case for it...

Yes, it's called a justice system. I'm sure you two are familiar with how that sort of thing works?

No need to guess what they're thinking. You know Yaul can see it with his empathic vision...

If someone's stolen food once, there's no guarantee they won't do it again if their stomach starts aching... Eventually, hunger overcomes fear...

Already feeling those fatherly fears, eh, Yaul? And while Lion-O does seem the type to want to keep them safe, well... They are fighting an embodiment of evil.

Eh, it's not important to you. You're kind of an NPC in Lion-O's story at this point, even if you are the main character of your own..

Yes, I foresee some tough choices ahead. Hopefully without harsh words to go with them.

And you do remember how early you usually have to start out in the mornings? A good night's sleep is always desirable.

And deep down, they are still kittens...

She's going to have too little time with the older ones as it is. Letting her enjoy it is a sign of a good guy.

Like I keep saying. She may as well call herself a Paladin.

Too bad he doesn't have any kind of ring suitable for it... Though I doubt the Cats go in for them anyway.

She's been admiring him from afar, so to speak, for a while now. I'd say it's a safe bet they'll work out.

That's another Paul locking in a romance option. I wonder how the people are going to react?x3

And so our time on Third Earth comes to a pleasant close. A little more Pony fun and then back to old 'Orange Quotation Marks' OL...

That avatar plus that quote... Perfection...:D I read it in his voice...

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I think that the moral of this, and the DCAU timeline is that Zoat wants us to buy him a cat.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I really wanna see an episode where paragon and his Jade have a series of romantic moments, doesn't even have to have a point just a slice of life thing will do.

23. King0fHearts

King0fHearts Hedonist

I want more third earth how much.

Lupercal, MasterG, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  24. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

For some reason, this is the third time I haven’t received an email notification for Mr Zoat’s post.

25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And maybe even a giant spider.

26. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

That doesn't work, he already tried learning ancient greek that way and only got a few words our of it.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Which post or posts was/were the S.W.O.R.D. SI in?

I still miss Teekl.

28. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

So do we know of any local beings that could have substituted for Parallax or the Terror Thing for enlightenment purposes? Does Mumm-ra have fear powers?

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  29. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Or ladies of the night dressed as such.

Ngamer11, Caerwen, Lupercal and 7 others like this.
  30. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

So, you want (to be) a catgirl... The classic choices are biotech, cyberborging, magic, virtual reality and robotics. Talking IRL, biotech isn't up to it, the closest thing to effective cyborging is external prostheses, accessories and clothes up to fur-suits, magic doesn't obviously work, VR is things like Second Life (loads of catgirls...) and robotics is in its infancy.

So, bar you getting out your soldering iron and sewing kit, few choices except VR... Sorry...

Of course, discussing how much you need in distributed processing power, say Raspberry Pis and lots of racks of external radio-linked kit... Bamboo skeletons and air muscles... That would be something to go elsewhere for. :)

Mr Zoat, Cuchulin and JoTa34 like this.