1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st April
    23:31 GMT -6

The boom tube closes behind us and I open a new one to her laboratory almost immediately.

"I realise that you're a little fraught, but you should probably switch the time ratio-."

"Yeah." She trots forward. "Yeah."

I follow her through, and… Looks like she didn't clear away the conjured ropes she used to bind Twilight. Sunset's horn glows as she points it at the inscriptions trapping the Earth 16 end of the portal in place, a ripple of power washing over it.

"There. One to one. Circe will only be out by about a minute."

I pick up the remains of the bondage gear in a construct.

"What happened with this? And Twilight's tour?"

"Fifteen to one, remember?" She levitates it out of my construct and places in it a thaumically isolating crate. "I'd barely gotten her untied before we felt Luna's magic through the mirror. I guess I'll… Give Twilight a tour some other time."

"So.. you're… Alright with Twilight?"

"Yeaah..? It's not like I thought I was Celestia's only student ever or anything. And… If we're right about her planning on using me to help Luna and… She didn't tell Twilight more than she told me… None of this… Was Twilight's fault." She gives her head a small shake. "And I got what I wanted anyway…"

"Anger isn't really rational like that."

"No. No, it's-. She's fine." She snorts quietly. "And maybe I can help open her mind to… Things that Celestia won't teach her."

I nod. "Like bondage."

She makes a small horse-splutter noise. "Not according to a rumour I heard-. That was you."

I grin and nod. "Not the bondage part specifically, but I told a few guards that alicornism was sexually transmitted."

Sunset looks at me for a moment, head tilted slightly to the right. "That's… A horribly you thing to say."

"Thank you. And I hope you're not going to have a story about you creeping into Celestia's room with a-."

"No! No, Grayven, that's-. Gross. And… And disgusting and it wouldn't even have worked." She shudders. "Uugh. I feel like I need a shower."

"Slight problem with that."

She frowns, then looks down at herself. "I'll just.. use the g-troll shower. They.. have one, right?"

"Yes, but… Remember we're not actually that tall, just… Bigger than the other ponies."

"Speak for yourself. I think I'm as tall like this as I am as a human."

We stand in her laboratory for a few moments.

"So… Celestia?"

She waves her head from left to right.

"I don’t.. know..? I don't know what I wanted, I don't know what I was expectingI don't know."

I nod, and lay down on the floor.

"Okay, so, what did the two of you talk about?"

"I, um. We.. started with… Just.. the first time I was in the garden. I didn't really remember it. Wasn't really paying any attention to anything that wasn't her."

"How long ago..?"

"I don't know. A few weeks after I went to live in Canterlot? I grew up on the other side of the country and I was getting a bit overwhelmed with everything. We just.. chatted. Which was weird, because-. We don't exactly deify Celestia, but if you don't live close enough to Canterlot to actually see her, she's kind of…"

"A sort of living myth."

Sunset nods. "And not like Superman, or.. you. We don't have TV or radio. We haven't even had colour photography for all that long. And suddenly she's there and talking to me."

"You left your friends behind." She looks at me with an interrogative frown. "When you moved."

"Oh. Yeah. No one I was super close to, but… Yeah."

I nod. No local friends, not much in common…

"Did the other foals at the school mostly come from Canterlot?"

"Mostly from Canterlot. Canterlot's a mostly-unicorn city, the centre of government and.. the.. second?" She thinks for a moment, then nods. "Second most populous city. It's not that surprising."

But she was an outsider, and amongst the scions of powerful families she was selected for particular privilege. And she outperformed them all. Would that have discouraged ponies from befriending her, in the early days, before she got out of the habit? Don't know. And it's probably not relevant.

"And then?"

"She… Said that she hadn't banished me, and that she just wanted me to get some more experience outside of the palace before I started studying again. And that she was looking for a student because of Luna but that wasn't why she picked me, or why we had the relationship that we did."

"Do you believe her?"

"… Yeah. I mean, even if she didn't mean to when she started teaching me, I don’t think-. She wouldn't have put up with me as long as she did if-. Once it was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be using the Elements."

"And did hearing that make you feel any better?"

"I don’t know-. No. No, it didn't. Because it means that I didn't need to run through the mirror. There are plenty of other libraries in Equestria, especially in Canterlot. And I could-. Making friends wouldn't be that bad?"

"Would you have made friends?"

"No." She doesn't hesitate. "I was convinced that Celestia was holding out on me, because she was. I'd have kept looking. And I told her that, and wanted to know why she lied to me. And she-. She said that it was because I wasn't ready. I was sitting there.. as an alicorn, and she was telling me I wasn't ready."

"Huh?"

"Oh, she thinks I cheated. That I found some sort of.. nearly dark magic way around the 'natural'… Healthy way to become an alicorn. I think she wanted me to… I don't know, turn myself back, go back to Equestria and try learning what she was trying to teach me in the first place. And I wanted to know why she thought I'd want to, and she just-. She had no idea why I wouldn't. Like she literally couldn't understand what I was saying. And then I tried asking about all the stuff she obviously got wrong when she was teaching me, all the stuff she-. Should have done differently if she'd wanted me to end up like she said she wanted me to. I mean, if she wanted me to make friends so badly why didn't she say that instead of showing me the Mirror!"

And she's crying, snot running down her muzzle.

"Why-? And then she just-"

I raise my right wing.

"-couldn't understand why I thought she was part of the problem!"

She dives into my side, pressing herself up against me and sobbing into my barrel as I wrap my wing around her.

"Why doesn't she get it?!"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. Mr Zoat

I thought that most of the upgrades Alliance marines got were genetic? Regardless, that's just going to make him a slightly optimised version of something that already exists in the setting. Assimilating a reaper and sharing its knowledge with the Geth Entire is a far better use of an orange ring's abilities.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'plenty of other' not 'plent of other'

'holding out on' not 'holding on out'

4. BlueAnime88

BlueAnime88 Always Fear! For I am EVERYWHERE!!

out on me?

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Seems like Sunbutt is just to used to being "right" and having all the answers.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Spend a thousand years with everyone practically considering you to a infallible god and you would find it difficult to consider yourself wrong.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am going to guess the same reason why you don't get it.

8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Minor miscalculations at most, she hasn't made a real mistake in over a thousand years.

9. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Ehem, Crysalis, Discord, Tirek, need I go on?

10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

She rules an empire; minor miscalculations can ruin lives.

11. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

They are, with the exception of Biotic Amps. IIRC there were a few offhand mentions of replacement limbs being availble, but the only factions shown to be into heavy cybernetic enhancement were Cerberus... and the Reapers.

Relyt33 likes this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, good of him to think of it. Luna might have been just a little put out if he didn't return when he said he would...

Much better. No need to worry about disappearing for days or months.

At least she doesn't plan to cut all ties to Equestria.

It doesn't feel like you expected it would, does it?

Well, I don't really think Twilight's into mares... And they only met a day or two ago.

Well, he is an incorrigible troll. I doubt that rumour will go away anytime soon, no matter what any of the alicorns say. Just imagine the resurgence if Shining Armour gets upgraded...

Just on the 'half-plus-seven' scale alone, that's nasty.

A cubicle design for beings that resemble ten-foot-cubed blocks of muscle? Spacious, certainly.

So, not that tall. Kind of average-sized, really.

Get comfy, this could take a while...

You never really stopped to think about what came after your successful alicornhood. How.. teenager of you.

She does tend to draw all the attention, doesn't she?

Since you never saw her mundane side. All those things people do when they're alone, or think they are...

I doubt any of them would have gotten into the same school. Not if Sunset was as big a prodigy as everything makes her out to be.

Well, that's going into creepy places... I don't want to say 'grooming', but...:(

Manehattan being the first, of course?

Oh, I suspect that estimation is very, very wrong... I can see resentment being a thing, maybe some social isolation...

Unfortunately, Sunbutt, how was Sunset supposed to know that? To her, all she saw was an upset mentor and the threat of being sent away from the place that had everything she needed to achieve her dream...

How can you be sure of that? How do you know she didn't come to care for you for yourself?

But you were upset, and upset teenagers do stupid things...

Dammit, Sunbutt... <slow facepalm>

Goddammit, both of you... Do we need Twilight to tie both of you down and make you actually talk to each other? Because I can see it coming down to the Princess of Friendship taking a personal hand.. er, hoof.

Yep, Grayven is a good father... Or uncle, in this case...

Might need to let her cry herself out, then once she's got herself under control again, start talking about it...

That bit about 'cheating'... Celestia needs to get it into her head, her way is not the only way, and may not be the best way for everyone... That might go a long way to settling this disagreement...

...Once it was pretty clear...

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Genetic engineering improvements on what's naturally available is highly illegal in Citadel space (that's why Miranda's creation was such a no-no, for example). Ostensibly this was passed to prevent a Gattaca effect but more likely it's because the Asari have already been genetically tuned (by the Protheans), which their ruling class knew about because they had a Prothean Beacon on Thessia that they hid from the galaxy (also illegal) and don't want to give up the advantage. As such the genetic "enhancements" that Alliance marines are more along the lines of fixing deformities than actual enhancements. The big exception to that "no genetically engineered anything" law is medi-gel, which humanity apparently created before the First Contact War and was grandfathered in because it was deemed too useful to outlaw (and because the Asari could use it themselves).

Alliance personnel haven't yet gotten into extensive cybernetic enhancement, although apparently Turians, Salarians and Quarians go for it. Cerberus apparently does a lot of cybernetics to try to keep up with the xenos, and in ME2 Mordin does a lot of cybernetic enhancement for the crew if you give him the resources for it.

It's important to remember that, in ME, generally the Systems Alliance is playing catch-up with the rest of the galaxy: for all that the games made Shepard out to be this once-in-forever superhero the rest of humanity was desperately trying to build itself into relevance by capitalizing on a couple of very lucky circumstances:
    • They happened to luck into enough eezo from the Prothean cache on Mars and a few lucky finds that they were able to build Carriers, which spent eezo like water in the form of massed disrupter torpedoes to take down a couple Turian dreadnoughts during the First Contact War. It worked because to any other race this would be madness; it's like killing your enemies by shooting them with bullets made out of platinum.
    • They happen to look like mammalian Asari; in particular, their males happen to look like the male version of Asari, after the Asari have spend two thousand years manipulating the galaxy to find the Asari form the epitome of beauty. The Alliance's biggest source of revenue is "cultural exports"; that's supposed to be a euphemism.
    • Their Mass Relay hub happens to connect almost directly to the Traverse, which the Batarians want to expand into, right when the Council wanted a buffer state to serve as a foil for Batarian aggression. Better to let a bunch of aggressive, murderous monkeys get enslaved by those four-eyed monsters than a race that people care about like the Volus, right?

15. Mr Zoat

Literal bibliophile jokes aside, I don't think that Twilight's preference is canonically established.
    No, she considered how it would affect her professional development quite thoroughly.
    Thank you, corrected.

16. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Was behind for a while, but caught up and greatly enjoyed almost all of it. I don't know how the rest of the community took it, but I felt that the way Paul, and you, approached Overgirl was rational and well-thought out, both from Watsonian and Doylist. Furthermore, while I have strong feelings about many of your feelings, it's a nice reminder that people can have radically different opinions but attempt to understand other peoples opinions (I'm talking about Zoat here).

The funny thing is, this is just a straight-up bad matchup. Discord is a good example of having a powerful ability in terms of what his power is without actually having the power in terms of, I guess energy?, to back it up to the same level he tends to punch at. He can pretend to be omnipotent despite just being a Lord of Chaos.

I always point to Type/Moon's Maxwell's Demon as an example of this, what with Devil's Proof making him absolutely immune to anything that can't conceptually kill unkillable things, but if you have that concept than it's nearly effortless to beat him because he's super weak.

Pinkie resisting answering the call so Party Popper can do it. This is the REAL Pinkie Pie, rather than the Memelord!Deadpool!Butit'sPinkiePie

2 parts here.

One, minor miscalculations usually refers to thinks that were reasonable but in hindsight should have been approached differently, whereas mistakes you had the better thing in front of you if only you thought it better.

Second off, any mistakes she's made has likely been mistaken (heh) to be minor miscalculations for the same reason that all plotters and schemers make that misunderstanding. That being, when you're manipulating an entire nation, it's hard to keep track of everything and thus problems are more likely to arise from things beyond your control. Having a supposed no-mistake-for-1000-years record just means she's going to be less proactive at not making them, since what she's currently doing is working.

She's either bi or straight, since she has expressed interest in males, both human and pony.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade is, or was, pretty tall as a human, before getting Venom.

I think he was around six feet in height.

Discord could potentially take the renegade in a fight and win, assuming the renegade lacks at least the Sword of the Fallen.

When the renegade considered fighting Mordru he was worried about losing.

Discord ran away because he knew the renegade killed four other Lords of Chaos and if he saw what the blade was and felt the magic in it then he would bolt it out of there.

Renegade may know some tricks now that allow him to fight Lords more easily, but if Discord really tried to attack him and he lacked the Sword, then I'm pretty sure Discord could have won, or at least done some serious damage.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Sunbutt has done things her way for a thousand years, that tends to settle a persons viewpoint.

And to be fair, Celestia has done her best to not become a Goddess and to not believe her own hype.

19. Mr Zoat

6'2
    The only person I remember her expressing an interest in was human Flash Sentry, and... I prefer other explanations.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Celestia technically is a goddess.

Or well a demigoddess, seeing as the New Gods have been referred as being demigods by several people, common sense Kaldur for one, and they are metaphysically strong being in a physical body, unlike Old Gods who are pure arcane energy.

Though I'm pretty sure they can become far more powerful than any demigod.

Although yeah, Celestia probably tried to avoid thinking of herself as how most people think gods are.
    That being infallible beings who can't do wrong.

Her success in this may not be all that great however.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Pinklestia and 2 others like this.
  21. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I remember that when she went to the pony world again, she saw pony Flash Sentry and was still interested.

Regardless, there is a well-known phenomenon where some people aren't sexually attracted to others until after getting to know and becoming romantically attracted to someone's personality. I would not be surprised at all if ponies didn't consider sex as important to deciding who is attractive in a relationship, so they might have a preferred sex but not being the preferred sex isn't a deal breaker.

EDIT: Your theory still holds up, in terms of someone who was completely uninterested in romantic attachments turning into... Well, what Twilight turned into. In that case, it might work both ways (going human to pony is just as shocking to your body as pony to human).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  22. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

I'm still wondering just how many times Celestia's seen students die trying to do what Sunset did.

That's the key, I think. Over 1000 years. How many dark monster Alicorns? How many students blowing themseves to bits?

How many side effects that went horrificly wrong?

I suspect that's really the secret. So, now I wonder if the method Sunset used, in classic comic style, is going to screw with her head?

Eh, we'll see.

23. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

If she knows or suspects mind altering side effects and didn’t directly tell Sunset, who boy...

Plus, Cadenza doesn’t show any changes in behaviour, and I understand that it’s the same method, except on purpose and with precautions, instead of an accident.

McGraw, Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

While Celestia hasn't noticed the similarity consciously yet, what Sunset did is a lot like what Stygian was trying to do.

Jaron, Bramble Thorn, McGraw and 22 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this fic by Alara Rogers where Discord says that before Twilight there were four other Alicorns

One was a Alicorn of Nature, one of Righteous Wrath, one of Desolation and one of Honor.

The Nature one killed herself to return to the cycle of life and death.
    The Righteous Wrath one died in a war.
    The Desolation one is still alive, but spends time in the Badlands.

As for the Honor one, well that one considered himself superior to everyone, including Celestia, because he embodies Honor, so tried to take over and failed.

If there were other Alicorns after Celestia and Luna and before Twilight, and this happened, then Celestia wanting her student to be mature and emotionally healthy before getting all that power makes sense.

Sunset really seems like the type that would try to take over, at least before she matured a bit under the renegade, even if she acknowledges that she isn't fit to rule, her arrogance would get in the way and many will suffer.

Celestia may have failed, but this would explain why she tried in the first place

26. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

She's a thousand year old immortal who is basicly worshipped, her mind set is probably so drastically different from the norm that she only passes for pony by being one physically.

27. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Do alternate universe counterparts count? Because Sci-Twi and Timber Spruce had a bit of a thing going on in Legend of Everfree. And Princess Twilight did show signs of being attracted to the pony version of Flash at the end of Equestria Girls.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I don't know if you didn't watch Equestria Girls or just forgot, but she ought to seem like the type to take over. Or on the gripping hand, maybe you consider Zoat's version different enough that you just don't consider what applies to the canon version to be otherwise indicative....

Because that was what happened in canon when she got her mitts on the element of harmony.

She literally demonized [​IMG] and then mind controlled the entire school planning to use them to invade and conquer Equestria.

One of the reasons I don't believe her cutie mark has anything to do with magic in Equestria Girls, by the by.

Luna when corrupted tried to bring eternal darkness. Thematically linked.

Human Twilight when corrupted by magic, her goal was to get to Equestria and get all the magic. Again, thematically linked.

Jaron, Cuchulin, Senevri and 5 others like this.
  29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Indeed. I think you're 100% correct. And, honestly, Celestia hasn't has very much time to adjust. It's like .001% of her life or something. She's trying to understand (maybe?) but it's just. So. Sudden. (in her perspective)

30. Stellarius

Stellarius Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Seeing as the form seems stuck on the subject of Celestia's handeling of Sunset trying to become an alicorn, let me weigh in with my own random opinions.

I'll start by listing facts that I think everyone can agree with:

It's been well established between MLP canon and this story that the alicorn transformation can go horribly wrong.
    Luna's change into Nightmare Moon shows that things can go very wrong after the transformation has occured.
    There are several artifacts that can supply vast magical power to the user (Alicorn Amulet, the Bewitching Bell, Staff of Sacanas, EEA Medallion)
    Sunset Shimmer is, on her own, one of the most powerful unicorns in the series.

Now on to my opinion:

If Celestia was going to be Sunset Shimmer's teacher, then she should have actually taught her. Was making friends and emotional stability important for safely trasforming into an Alicorn? Sure, I give Celestia that. That means you need to sit your student down and talk with them about the dangers involved, explain why they are important, and tell Sunset what could go wrong. In other words, actually teach your student, because if Celestia fails to do so, Suset is powerful and determined enough to make the attempt on her own.

If Celestia wasn't going to continue being Sunset Shimmer's teacher after Sunset decided to become an alicorn, then she should have put away her teacher hat, pulled out her absolute ruler of of a nation hat, and executed the threat to the realm.

Celestia did neither.

Jaron, Mr Zoat, zeebza and 7 others like this.