1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon gave Stewart ring that he assimilated to Hinon.

He had his own first ring, the one from the dragon and Larfleezes.

Yeah this is annoying seeing as he should at least have on of those rings.

At least we get to see him trying to master the violet one on the spot.

At least this way paragons complete mastery over his emotional range won't have him outshine all the other versions.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    He leant one to Ghia'ta a while ago, which she used here. He took his original ring off here.

Ardy, Navi-Hank, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

On one hand yeah, I agree. On the other, well Slave!Paul might give him some challenge. He's been marinating in extra spicy Green for... what? a bit over a year by the time he was snatched? And he did curbstomp the violet lantern chick.

Navi-Hank, DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Slave Paul could have beaten his Ferris because she wasn't that good at wielding her ring, or crystal in her case.

Also Paul should have three rings, his original, the one from Larfleeze and the one from the dragon.

If it is still like this then he could have given Ghi'ta one ring, taken off another, but still had one on him.

Though if he took them all off to make it easier to wield the violet one then it makes sense.

Navi-Hank and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

At least he has a power ring this time, unlike the last time when he was kidnapped after taking his ring off.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't think Eros Paul can express or channel love significantly better than Paragon; the latter is the only one in a defined relationship, after all, and I haven't noticed any violet text for Eros (even if I missed some, I wouldn't say it's strong enough). Banging multiple women seems more like a desire thing anyway. (I think I'm up to date with the chapters, though I skip the actual sex scenes, so I might have missed something. Of course with time involved, Eros-Paul from the same point in time as Paragon could have major life changes that may very well make him more proficient with the violet light.)
    I can't fully keep track of them at this time, but I don't think we've seen any orange ring-using version of the SI be taken by Krona (was it just ones from DC-based realities?), which makes sense given that the most logical course of action in that case would be giving the ring to the avarice-enlightened version, negating the drama that comes with using an unfamiliar ring.

I'd like to see Paul channel non-romantic love, for Alan, the Team and maybe even the world/people in general, though the latter might be too much (I fully understand and support his reasoning for not pursuing Kon, but I assume he still loves him romantically, too).

I'm sad that Renegade won't meet Paragon, but at the same time I feel like that would dilute the arc a bit if the former was just part of a crowd of multiple iterations, they deserve one-on-one time. (Though if he does show up later in the fic, I wouldn't complain. I think alternating chapters from each of their perspectives could be a fun narrative device).

It's April 1, so I suppose it's appropriate for all these shenanigans (trying to deceive Krona, Time Trapper getting a rookie Violet Lantern). I'm partially expecting this update to be the only one related to the Crisis, and the rest of the episode just a relatively normal one, as the ultimate prank.

DAT_NOOB, Navi-Hank, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade was kidnapped without his ring or equipment.

Though in his case he at least had super strength and other super physical abilities.

Paragon is a physically strong, but otherwise baseline human.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Agent Orange and 2 others like this.
  8. DrThoth

He does still have a ring, which I expect decent proficiency at (though it would be nice to see him struggling a bit). He still has the advantage of any non-green ring not requiring perfect visualization and intimate knowledge of advanced constructs, so I think his general combat style can translate fairly well. I wonder if he'll use the unique property of the violet light outlined in the FAQ as an ultimate technique or something.

And his soul is definitely not baseline; I'd like to see him figure out some mystical techniques and innovate or adapt them to work on the orange light, that could be fun.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul had his OG ring and Larfleeze's rings. He leant his 3rd ring to Ghia'ta. Or did he give up his 2nd ring offscreen?

10. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

He already did that offscreen, for some reason it hasn't been mentioned in a while.
    He also got his Avarice Teleportation and empathic vision.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Ardy, Navi-Hank, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Those techniques he already uses are a continuation of his orange light mastery.

I think Thoth meant him trying to figure out some way to use both his orange manipulation abilities and magic at the same time.

Zoat said that the SI may not be trying to create a whole new magic system to help him use magic any time soon, and I think he still can't use magic, even though he has a soul, if his surprise when he discovered he could use magic as a demon was any indication.

He can probably use magic, but not any that a average, or even some not so average, people can use.

Though even if he doesn't use magic and orange light it would be interesting to see if he can somehow combine two lights and have them do things they wouldn't be able to do alone.

12. DrThoth

In the spirit of a true Orange Lantern, I just want more and more from him, though I suppose it's more in the vein of being able to innately use all the esoteric abilities a power ring grants him, displaying his nature as a quasi-elemental more. Given he's functionally never without his ring, though, it's not a big issue (though as Dream of the Endless says, tools can be the subtlest of traps).

I'm a bit surprised no desire-aligned spirits or deities have really taken initiative and sought Paragon out (though I suppose at this point I shouldn't be surprised at anyone in YJ not taking the initiative). Aphrodite in particular comes to mind.

13. Bolo

Bolo Know what you're doing yet?

Can’t Paul just “call” for another ring once he gets to wherever he’s going...

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Where he's going the only orange rings might be on the fingers of his doppelgangers.

Krona is doing multiversal shenanigans here after all.

Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The tattoos may be blocking them from seeing what he is, that being a quasi elemental of Avarice.

Calling one of the rings may alert an alternate Larfleeze and there may be no orange rings where he is going.

Not sure if any of his alternates actually wield an orange ring.

The ones taken so far have all been wielding other colors.

Though if Krona tried to take Peter then maybe some of them do have an orange ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm reasonably confident that he already gave that ring away.

Bolo, Ngamer11, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure the only ring he gave away was the Stewart one to awaken Hinon.

So that would leave him with the original, the dragon one and Larfleeze.

He gave one to Ghi'ta, took one of, but we don't know what happened to the third.

He could have taken both of to better wield the violet ring though.

Prince Charon, Jaron and Chaoswind like this.
  18. Agent Orange

No quite baseline. His freaky soul and enlightenment do give him two at will super abilities: empathyvision and greedporting. I could be wrong but I think he called both innate abilities/skills not something tied to an orange ring (Mr Zoat would you chime in on this?) Not exactly high damage output but he is a teleporter. So he should be able to survive even if he can't use violet ring all that well.

19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He had three with the construct lantern ring he took from the dragon and after that he gave one to Ghiata, meaning he still has the original ring that Hinon made and the ring prototype he took from Larfleeze or whatever...

The math doesn't work Zoat and I am pretty sure Paul never gave anyone neither his original ring and/or the trophy ring he had from Larfleeze so there is indeed a continuity error... Probably because you have been planning this episode for so long that either the plot changed or things you had planned to do before this episode were never written because you inadvertently cut them out because you wanted to start this episode in april first.

Just tweak the update to mention he took off both rings.

Edit: Technically you mentioned the prototype is a worse version of ring that can only hold eighty percent of the charge his original can, so technically Paul has 1.8 orange rings to work with.

You could have Paul STILL have Larfleeze ring half depleted of charge and have his lantern tied to the subspace pocket of the other ring. Giving Paul a mostly charged violet ring and the half depleted orange prototype one.

Then again we all know this scene was contrived to nerf paragon Paul to make the incoming challenges harder... So its your call how you want to do this... But when something breaks continuity we have to call it out as an error in the same way we help you with grammar (even though i haven't done it much, but its because you post at 2 to 3 am my local time and I don't feel much capable of reasoning at that time).

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He can't teleport to the Honden without a orange ring.

His emotional powers aren't that useful for physical combat and he can't use them as well without his ring.

They may work against a New God and their whole spirit combat thing, but in a fist fight not so much.

Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  21. Agent Orange

How do you know that? Was here a scene showing that or a WoZ or something?

This is from Resolution (part 3):

We never saw him greedport without a ring true, but he did say it's 'an innate ability'.

Also, when was the last time you saw him enter an actual fist fight? It's all about orange power and gadgets for him. He's a mage, not a warrior.

22. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

When you need to monumentally depower your protagonist for them to be meaningfully threatened you have officially written yourself into a corner.

That said I’m unsure what the point of it is. Paul is more than capable of yanking an Orange Ring off the finger of anyone he encounters. Given how many alternate Pauls there will be he will have little difficulty getting his preferred tool.

Out of interest is there an in-universe reason the SI doesn’t carry around multiple spare rings, thus sidestepping the limiting factor (charge limit) that has screwed him over time and time again?

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I asked Zoat about some of his abilities and he said that he can only teleport through the Honden with the ring.

It's an innate ability in the sense that only orange lanterns with enlightenment can use it, but would require the ring.

Zoat also said that an enlightened individual that knows magic could potentially use it, like Dr Mist, but the SI doesn't use magic, so it's possible that someone who is enlightened and knows magic can travel through the Honden, but they would need magic to do it.

WereDragon there may not be any other orange ring wielders for the SI to take their rings.

Also the SI does carry multiple rings it's just that he was caught without them this time.

The reason he probably doesn't take more rings is because the Controllers are giving them to others to use in the war against the Reach and they may not feel giving more to him is a good use of resources.

Cuchulin, Lupercal and Agent Orange like this.
  24. Agent Orange

Could you link that WoZ?

Darko likes this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorry, I remember him writing it, but don't remember where it was.
    Somewhere in the Equestria episodes I think.

Still you could ask Zoat yourself.

26. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I am going to back Darko on this as I remember it being said. I do think Paul can reach the honden without his ring, but he would have to actually invest in some magic knowledge to pull off that ritual... In the grand scheme of things going to the honden without suffering soul damage is an innate ability of Paul and the particulars of his soul... You can go to the honden using other methods, but the ring makes it easier... And Paul is probably one of the few guys that are immune to the qualities of the Honden as we saw Hinon struggle to keep her soul intact and she is an expert in orange light.

27. Agent Orange

Alright let's give it a go...

Hey Mr Zoat, can SI greedport without his ring?

Not other hypothetical orange light users but SI specifically.

DrThoth and Darko like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Enlightened lanterns can travel through the Honden with no damage.

The same goes for spiritually powerful people, like Hinon, but they may not be as good at it.

Though remember Paul is unique in that his soul is made entirely, or at least mostly, of orange light.

Aside from seeing peoples avarice even without the ring he can also see their other emotions.
    Zoat said that other enlightened lanterns would only be able to see the avarice without the ring, but they wouldn't be able to see the other emotions, just have a strong feeling about them.
    That's one diffrence between him and other enlightened lanterns

And I don't know how well the other diffrent colored enlightened people would compare to each other.
    Like say Guy and Talbot.
    Both are enlightened in their respective color, but Guy bonded with Ion, while Talbot didn't bond the Butcher, so I don't know if Ion left a bit of himself behind in Guy when he ended their merger, so maybe he could develop some powers from what was left behind.

Interestingly the mc of Life Ore Death also once bonded with a arcane entity on her world and when they ended their little merger said entity left some pieces of itself in her.
    She described it like blowing up a balloon and leaving behind spit, which can be absorbed.
    It is actually transforming her into a New God like entity from her developing spiritual powers.
    Maybe something like this can happen to a person that has bonded with an Entity.
    Paul has the Ophidians heart and has been called a New God.

DrThoth likes this.
  29. Agent Orange

He must have changed his mind since he wrote him getting empathyvision since the first time we see him using it is shortly after the Ophidian merger. That scene when he and Diana went to see ... the little Wonder Woman? Cassy something? He was ringless in that arc (on account of the whole Cake incident) and he could see other colours on Diana just fine. So maybe he has no in-depth insight in other colours but he should be able to see the superficial emotional makeup of non-shielded individuals.

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon can see other emotions without the ring just fine, because he has the Heart of the Ophidian as a soul.
    Maybe not as much a orange, but he can still see them.

Other enlightened people would only be able to see the emotion to which they have become enlightened without a ring.
    For the other emotions they may have a strong feeling, but wont be able to see them without their ring.

Though if they are magic users they may be able to see it.

DrThoth and Lupercal like this.