1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zaul didn't think about there being another series he hasn't seen because he just thought the movie happened and the Buffy that showed up in Angel just had her adventures offscreen, not knowing that Angel was a spinoff of the Buffy TV show.

Now either they are going to -14 or to Saul's world.

Is it weird that I am picturing Saul saving Zaul and giving him more power the same way Shirou gave Saber a mana charge, that being fucking.
    We already know he has a thing for corpses:D

jonasquinn, Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

While we're on it, was it ever revealed why he couldn't say his name?

Darko likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No I don't think so.

Ardy likes this.
  4. freakytiki34

freakytiki34 Making the rounds.

So the mental compulsions we know about are:

1. Can't say or think his own name

2. Can't think of the ring as"my ring"

3. Has all memory wiped off the specific series he's in, but not any adjacent stories or media, and is incapable of realizing this

Did I miss any?

5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Definitely not from LW, I would know the source if it was. And the only crazy bits are the postrationalists and Ziz's protest conspiracy.

Ardy likes this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Wait. Didn’t OL already have this realization back on Antarctica when he was done with his first vision quest? I thought he was just ignoring it not that he forgot it?

edit: found it.

Uuuuuuuuuuugh.

Ring. The fuck.

"Lantern and ring ceased to exist for approximately-."

"Oh, don't you give me that." I let the construct armour fade away, then push myself into an upright position. Environmental shield, don't fail me now. "I did not cease to exist. I formed memories. I was-." Blue.. me. He tried to persuade Ultraman not to build the bomb. And… That was The Boys. As an Indigo. He.. didn't remember reading The Boys. Red was Teen Titans and he didn't remember that either.

I move to a kneeling position, staring out across the Antarctic wilderness. But… They each remembered DC in general, but not the place they ended up. I…

Oh gods.

I don't remember this, and… It didn't occur to any of them to think about it. Should I..? Did I..? Did I once watch or read some sort of updated Teen Titans thing that I can't remember? I… I assumed that I was from something like comic Earth Prime, the.. boring one. So… Did each of them come from different Earth Primes, or… Are we all versions of the same person? Is-? Do we have some original, sitting at home in Hampden Park, still… Going to work like a normal person?

Urm..?

Did Ambush Bug wipe his memory of this or is his desire not to think about it that strong that he's self-editing?

... Paul Trapper is kind of a dick isn't he?

'ghostly white'. This was always wierd to me in comics. I know 'death' isn't an emotion but why not stick to the colour scheme?

... Ah. Goodbye Lantern Jade. You will be missed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

How is superman's defendant related to a simple AI being unable to advance?

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Very much so, it would have been nice is she got to know OL a little before that happened.

9. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Much as it pains me to say it, Vaermina kinda has a point there
    of course, Vaermina is making the faulty assumption that that's a thing that could be the case here.

Ardy, Lupercal, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It was three short paragraphs... You could have at least read them all...

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm back to working in the office, so I actually have to get up and leave the house in the morning.
    Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Lupercal and 3 others like this.
  12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

There, there pat pat

Assuming a Paul ended up in Sliders or Star Trek or somewhere else with paralel travel...would they be abke to visit other Pauls?

I could imagine the multiverse having many dimensions and most travel across it only happening along one specific axis. So there would be a "Dc multiverse section" a " marvel multivcerse section" and so on.

Also, now I want a Paul in Trek (there actually is a Lantern, 2009 Trek crossover comic)

13. Mr Zoat

If I was going to insert into Star Trek, it would be Proper Trek not Modern Drek.

14. Agent Orange

So TOS while only remembering Kelvinverse :p

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah him ending up in the 20th century versions of the Star Trek franchise is a good guarantee of him finding something to recharge his ring with, seeing as they seemed to run into some weird clarketech like bullshit device every other week, well except DS9 what with the whole war with the Dominion plot and Cardassia and Bajor thing going on.

Now I wonder who he would meet with Picard of Kirk and what changes he can bring.

16. Agent Orange

Star Trek had a bunch of crossovers with other franchises (thou how canonical they are is anyone's guess) . Usually in form of comic books. I could be misremembering but I think there was a GL cross as well. I definitely remember a Known Space cross with Kzinti as aliens of the week.

edit: The Spectrum War comic from 2015 - that's the ST/GL cross

Ardy, Wheenesss and Darko like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was one with the Legion of Superheroes that included Flint from the og show being Vandal Savage after he had a change of heart and decided to stop being stupid.

Vorian, Wheenesss and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Agent Orange

Ah yes, good old Mr Flint (last name 'Stone' presumably) and his no good cousin Mr Oldman :p

edit: is there a club or support group for these immortal but otherwise baseline humans? ("So, how many times did you have to change your legal identity this century. I'll start.") Cause it seems Mr Adg skipped more than a few meetings.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  19. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

The Picard era Federation is a post scarcity near-utopia. What changes could he make to materially improve the quality of life for its citizens?

Well, now that I think about it, he's got some better ship-scale weapons and other technological bits and bobs he could hand over to Federation scientists. After all, while the Federation's lack of military budget in favour of the civilian side of things is admirable, they still do have a need to kill the Borg.

He might also be interested in attempting uplifts of pre-Warp civilizations in Federation space; while the Prime Directive is a good idea in general that's mainly because of the danger of the pre-Warp civilization being treated like literally every single other "primitive" civilization by the more advanced civ.

Alternatively, he could go kill Space Nazis, maybe start a proper slave rebellion if he finds a way to recharge and make more rings.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really liked the "The Man from Earth", especially how he deconstructed some of the cliches about immortality, like remembering their original language and retaining all the knowledge they have learned in their life.

As for support groups there was that Council of Immortals thing in n52, and the n52 version of Savage seemed to know a immortal woman named Capucine that showed up in the Swamp Thing comics of n52.

Helping rebuild Bajor, Or Cardassia after the Domion could be something he could do.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Right there with ya (although Picard had some good moments), just pointing out such a comic exists.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The DC Database entry for Laurel Kent isn't the most informative.

It turns out that the manhunter kidnapped and stole the identity of the real Laurel Kent, after the manhunter blew herself to ragequit the universe she resumed her life, and teamed up with Kent Shakespeare (her cousin according to WoG) the Superman of the 31st century as well as Brane Taylor the Batman of the 31st century and his sidekick Robin.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat here's a suggestion for helping those Vikings find their way back to Valhalla:
    Get Wotan to open a portal, or at least the SI can compel him to open one or give them the knowledge of how to open a portal to Valhalla.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

You're dead to me.
    Which would be a good idea, if the SI have any leverage or if Oden actually wanted them back.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't really understand why you dislike Picard so much, considering the fact that his diplomatic approach would be something that the SI may like more rather than Kirk's cowboy like attitude.

The SI can tell Aquaman that he is trying to send the Einharjer home and needs Wotan for it, I'm pretty sure Aquaman would approve of that and letting the SI influence Wotan to telling them the spells required to travel to Valhalla.

And Odin, who is supposed to be a pragmatic type of guy, is willing to lose over 30 warriors, along with a guy that is virtually indestructible, because he has a grudge against said indestructible guy.
    I know that everyone has their weak and low points, but WOW that is a really stupid attitude for Odin to have.

Another way they can use to send the vikings back is the Tower of Fate and its library, though seeing as Nabu didn't send them back it could mean he didn't know how or didn't have a book explaining how to do it, or was too busy to have the time.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Well, I can't speak for Zoat... but considering how STP treats not just Picard, but other established characters, I'd say his disdain is justified.

(Retired) Admiral Picard: I've got intel that suggests the Romulans are up to their old tricks. Can you send a scout ship to investigate and find some proof?
    Admiral Clancy: Go fuck yourself.

And that's not even getting into what they did to Icheb.

Prince Charon, MasterG, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Not Picard the character. Picard the series.
    Eh, not really. He's had them for centuries, and it's not as if he needs them on hand right now. Leaving them on Earth to learn new things is a pretty reasonable move.

28. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

To be fair, Clancy was being manipulated by that half-Vulcan/half-Romulan chick that was the head of Starfleet Security, and Picard had burned his bridges by tearing into Starfleet for the synthetic ban and then resigning in disgust when they refused him, and just a few days earlier had gone on camera publicly criticizing Starfleet policy. It's not surprising that a lot of Starfleet's brass might have harsh feelings towards him.

Apparently Icheb's original actor got banned from Trek for being an asshole to another Trek actor on Twitter when he came out about being molested by Kevin Spacey as a teenager. It's not surprising that they'd kill off the character.

Darko likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure what they are really learning.

I mean the only thing we saw them do is briefly fight Oceanus and apparently the crime rate in the city they are staying at has dropped due to their presence.
    Fighting Oceanus could be a good test for how they do against the Jotunn's come Ragnarok, but they just really slashed at him with magic weapons.

The only thing Odin may learn from this is that his warriors can respawn after being near a black hole.

And speaking of the vikings, what happened to Kriegers soul after Helmut killed him, is it in Valhalla now because he died in a fight, or is it somewhere else because the way Jon talked about him it seemed Odin may not have liked Krieger that much and worked with him because it was necessary?

30. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

They didn't just "kill off" the character. They vivisected him. On screen. While. He. Was. Conscious.

They could have just not brought the character back. They could have just had him die offscreen. They chose to bring him back solely so they could indulge in some slasher flick level gore, if that was motivated by the actions of a different actor, than the writer's are... petty, extremely petty.