1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. LordofTentacle

LordofTentacle Know what you're doing yet?

I know and I regret it a little but not fully.
    Maybe I'll read them later, but maybe not.

2. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not really that many, since the present is set after the boys comics and the majority of characters deserving death. are either imprisoned or dead, with Hughie keeping a lot of the rest in line.

The only exception is Stillwell, but who cares if Red tortures him to death?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If he sends him after the whole downfall of Vought then most of those targets could be dead.

I think there were some who tried to reform themselves and are still around, but if they are trying to do that then maybe he will leave them alone.
    He kills complete monsters and horrible people, but if these ones are trying to redeem themselves they could have never gotten into some of the worst shit some of the supers did.

4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know, the part about Compassionate Paul affects but I doubt Red knows that.
    The actual comic I haven't actually read.

Ardy likes this.
  5. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

You really should imo. Early Renepaul is just a mirror of Parapaul, but he does his own thing pretty quickly.

Lupercal likes this.
  6. Aeess

Indigo Paul didn't actually change anything significant about how things turned out in the Boys, like the only meaningful difference is that he prevented one of the higher ups from Vought killing herself.

So red having red the Boys would quickly realize that hd is to late to save people by killing off the worst offenders.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

With most of the named characters dead, there's a good chance that Red won't even realise that he's in The Boys.

There's Stillwell, but he's not actually all that well known nationally. Of The Seven, only The Deep and Starlight are still alive and The Deep wasn't ever shown being particularly evil.

Huh. Just occured to me that zombie-Lamplighter might still be around.

The G-Everyone are dead, which means that if he flies through a random city he might... What, see a billboard advertising a superhero he's never heard of?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I suggest that you don't read it.

It's grimderp to the extreme to the point that WH40k seems to be a more hopeful universe.

And you can actually find some good stories in 40k that are well written.
    In this comic... ugh, you're more likely to find a good story in a medical waste bag containing an aborted fetus.

If you want to know about it then you read something on SB called 'Polokun reads The Boys.
    Polokun tried to read through the cesspit of shit and sludge that is The Boys. He gives some interesting and funny comments on it, but he wasn't able to finish it, and I can't blame him.

He also makes some good points about the logical inconsistencies about the comic, like the fact that they gave Hughie super powers in the first place.

Now this is baffling because Hughie has never been in the military, police, or even taken anything as simple as a martial arts class, and yet they gave him superpowers from a vial that if I remember correctly costs a significant fortune to make, just because he lost his girlfriend to one of the supers.
    I get that Butcher probably sympathized with him, but they couldn't find, oh I don't know, a soldier, cop, or someone that has taken a martial arts class. Considering all the shit the supers are doing the chances of there not being at least one person of those three previously mentioned categories that has a grudge to settle with them seems unlikely.

I know that this story features some random guy getting a powerful tool despite the fact that he never served as anything like a soldier or cop previously, but at least the ring was just looking for someone with the right emotions to use it and not their other skills and background history.

Hey Zoat I know you said that you may not do a future storyline about another piece of DC fanfiction because you probably haven't read it, but if you're interested then I recommend you The Dark Shard:Enemy of the Light, on SB by theirishdreamer.
    I think that renegade would fit into that world seeing as the mc is trying to get the Earth to adapt to fighting great threats without counting on superheroes, like the renegade is trying to do, and getting metahumans to join the military or at least use their powers for something that isn't related to crime or superheroics.
    Though be warned, the grammar may be difficult to get through.

9. Mr Zoat

That... Kind of gets explained at near end.
    After the coup is stopped and Homelander killed, Butcher's next objective is using the control technology they got from Russia to kill all supers on the planet. He recruited Hugie as a substitute for his deceased younger brother because Butcher knows that he's got a violent streak and wanted someone around who might be able to talk him down.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Which only matters if you make the mistake of thinking that the Guardians prize effectiveness over being in control. They really really don't.

For example, the Guardians doubled the corps to invade Apokalips.

Even at twice the members, they were more worried about there being few enough lanterns to oversee than anything else.

They also didn't care enough to remove the yellow impurity weakness, which was discussed but rejected. In the comics, Apokalips' great defense against the invasion was yellow armor, by the by.

Which means the limit on lanterns is not based on resources available, just their willingness to recruit.

So even if one read that story and didn't realize that the Guardians got exactly what they wanted when Raker became the Green Lantern of Apokalips, with twice the corps Raker was in the process of beating Darkseid's face with a shovel when the Guardians decided to deal, that makes it plain that the reason the Guardians didn't swarm Apokalips and not leave until Darkseid's head was mounted on a pole was because they didn't think Darkseid was worth the trouble of recruiting more corps members.

Which means the more one buys the hype required to actually make Darkseid important, that worst the Guardian's control freak tendencies become.

Xmaster3000, Vorian, Sceptic and 2 others like this.
  11. Aeess

Not even just all Supers, he was going to kill anyone who has Compound V in their body, which includes millions of people without powers who just have the potential of producing a super offspring, like Butcher himself even said he was going to wipe out a good chunk of the human race

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm not sure that Butcher would have really stopped even for someone that is substituting for his younger brother.

It is still an incredibly stupid decision to recruit Hughie in the first place what with the spending a fortune for just one vial that may not even work, and basically not giving him any training whatsoever aside from having him learn on the job.
    Butcher truly must have been a good brother if he is letting his little brother go up against murderous lunatics that will do all sorts of unspeakable things to him if they catch him.
    That was sarcasm by the way.
    Though it wouldn't surprise me if that is exactly how his actual brother died, though I don't remeber if it is mentioned how he died in the comics
    Would it have been that difficult to find someone that has some experience in military matters and can substitute as Butchers brother, or at least kill Butcher if he goes off the rails.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon did say that the Guardians have a tendency to recruit those with the highest level of willpower in their sector, but can easily miss several people that have the willpower necessary to wield a ring, just not to the same level as the other guy, but enough to use the ring, when he was speaking about Ragnar and how he had a lot of green and very little yellow in him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

He did stop. His brother talked him out of killing his father, and Hugie stopped him killing everyone with Compound V.
    He did get training. We only see it in flashback when he has to use a pen to save a choking Black Hole's life, but he did get some.
    Hit by a car.
    Butcher wanted someone with a pure motive. Someone who was merely skilled could be bought off.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hm forgot about him stopping him.

I could barely finish reading that piece of shit and I barely have any motivation to pick it up again, unless I want to vomit that is.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Other than the rape. Or did that not happen in the comics?

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Didn't happen in the comics.

Starlight was given the choice between performing oral sex on Homelander, A-Train, Black Noir and The Deep and not joining The Seven. She chose oral sex. While pretty disgusting, Homelander was clear at the time that she was completely free to leave and go back to The Young Americans. The whole point as far as he was concerned was to get her to voluntarily degrade herself. She even has a monologue later about the fact that she prefered to do that rather than leave.

Wheenesss, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  18. Aeess

A-Train still tries to rape her some time later though.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Truly a wonderful comic with great characters, I take back what I said previously about this comic being worthless shit, if you ever need to induce vomiting on yourself or someone else and the regular methods don't work just read this comic, it will work every single time.

Side effects may include: loss of faith in humanity, the inability to cease your vomiting, sheer unbridled disgust aimed squarely at Garth Ennis and whoever helped him make this disgusting abomination that makes the 'Inquisitor' books by Ian Watson seem like good literature, oh and yes feeling that The Inquisitor is better written than this comic, truly Ennis the likes of Neil Gaiman are amateurs compared to your work.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  20. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

So they do legitimately count as guardians of the entire universe because they don't really guard the universe?

21. Mr Zoat

True. Which is an important character moment, because 1) he's decided to be evil, unlike with Robin where it was carelessness and 2) Annie fights him off without hesitation.
    People buy sugar-free jelly babies for just that purpose.
    I honestly didn't feel that way about it. How do you write a villain who doesn't do anything villainous?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There have been plenty of villains who you could despise wholeheartedly without them stooping to the same levels as the ones in The Boys do.

There also comes a point where the sheer evil they do is just so gratuitous that having them continue doing those things all the time just becomes boring and utterly pointless, thus making a bad story

The protagonists of his story are frankly just stupid in my opinion that you can't even sympathize with them after a while, well aside from Hughie, but as for the rest, they may have had their reasons for becoming the pieces of shit they were, but it similarly just becomes gratuitous after a while.

Ah I don't know, you may have liked this comic for whatever reason, but to me it just didn't click in any meaningful way that doesn't involve disgust and revulsion

23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

you know paul black's behaviour is disturbingly reminiscent of a loyalist space marine.

Darko likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you mean that he acts like a mindless machine that is incapable, or unwilling to use their higher brain functions, then yes he is one of Big E's grandsons, seeing as the Primarchs are his sons, even if he shouldn't be the father of a rock, and the marines all get their gene seeds in them and are often called sons by their respective Primarch.

transhumansage likes this.
  25. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

I would also add that, there are a number of major threats that the Guardians just... don't do much about. Brainiac, Warworld, the Reach... the list goes on and on.

26. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Rape via coercion is still rape.

Like this

Jaron, Cuchulin, Lupercal and 2 others like this.
  27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They call themselves Guardians of the Universe, not Guardians of the Universe Who Do a Thorough Job. :)

28. Mr Zoat

Sex via transaction is prostitution.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The issue of Starlight and her situation in the comics is just messed up

Prince Charon likes this.
  30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unnecessary quote.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.