1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I appreciate you pointing this out, but there are multiple instances of 'I should' in the text and it would help me if you could quote a little more.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's 'It should be a simple matter'

3. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

If.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Things moving along nicely, I take it. The joy of a universe that survived (and remembered) a previous Crisis...

A reminder: The previous local Green Lanterns (Jordan, Stewart, and Rayner. Waht of Gardner?) got bootstrapped into Guardian-hood following the defeat of the originals.

Perhaps they should have checked that before going through all of this...

Feel sorry for the guys and girls who decided their costume should feature bare arms or legs. In this era though, that'd be few and far between, and those with heat power are probably warming those without anyway.

Not the kind that run around in long underwear, anyway. Athletic wear, certainly. Buffy does like her tight pants and crop tops.

Honestly, is it something in the air in these universes that makes people who get superpowers want to run around in primary colours and spandex, or dark coloured leathers? I mean, I know why they do it in the Doylist sense: Strong visual appeal and marketable likenesses...

Buffyverse magic isn't nearly so flashy, alas. Outside of some rare occasions.

I doubt he burns charge that fast. If the emotional surge is running out, well... Time to call John Constantine again.

Oh, that's going to wreak even more changes on the Buffyverse when, or if, he returns.

As if Nekron would have any kind of bobblehead malware running on his corps.

In other words, they actually coded up a security patch mod. That's how you void a warranty in style.:D

Oh, my. If he ever gets alive again, this should be useful. Or if he passes it on to someone in the Buffyverse... Who would be a good candidate for that?

Well, he's got a leg up on most other Pauls now. Just has to do something about the whole 'heart-absorbing undead monstrosity' thing...

Looks like it's time to go. Cue the macguffin skybeam! Though in this case, they're protecting it, rather than trying to disable it...o_O

Make with the exposition already, please?:p

Sympathetic contamination logic, eh? Same reasoning Krona is using to collect Pauls and Jades...

Eh, he's like a bad stink. He'll turn up again sooner or later, whatever happens.

Ah, the local Jade. I guess Krona had no interest in her at all. Too basic for his needs.

Oh, joy. Flying by the seat of your pants. Just the thing to prevent multiversal disruption...

Ooh, funky colour-shift.

It's efficient, if nothing else... let's hope that's enough to do the job, though.

So far so good. Just waiting for the clog to gum up the gears...

Especially since so many of the other Pauls are Orange Ring users... Should take a lot less energy to manage it.

Pariah? Oh, fuck! Pose like a boss, because shit just got real!

At least there's no bowl of petunias falling from orbit?

Well, the lightshow has begun, the skies are red, and the latest Crisis is in full swing. Things are finally going to come to a head, and it is going to be amazing...

Some advice for proofreading: If you select the sentence with the error, you should see an option below the selection to '+Quote | Reply'. Using the former adds the selection to a buffer you can add to a post later, while Reply takes you straight to the posting box with that text already quoted.
    Also helpful: picking the word out with a distinct colour, like this. That's Turquoise on the colour picker. Underlining can work too, assuming the text isn't already like that.
    It might be tougher on mobile, but it makes it much clearer for Mr Zoat to find the error you're marking.

And speaking of corrections:
    The world all of the alternate versions of me...
    She reaches into a utility pouch...

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well, it was a nice universe while it lasted.

JoTa34, Gantradies, Wheenesss and 4 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

It really does.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hero.

But mostly he's a stormcrow, an omen of death and disaster.

Disasters up to entire universes being destroyed.

8. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Ah, good catch. I'm quite disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up on it.

9. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

So can anyone explain what's going on with this episode and the previous? Who is everyone?

I'm very lost

10. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Previous episode was set in the place where the evil Guardian of the Universe, Krona, of Green Lantern fame, has created his Tuning Fork of Doom, and plastered one fork with loads of kidnapped versions of the SI, and the other with versions of Cheshire, sometimes his SO. Unfortunately, a Clayface was impersonating the SI (Orange Lantern) when the kidnap occurred, and was doing such a good job they got grabbed instead. Previous episode was from PoV of said Clayface.

Current episode is set in a DC world from the fanfic Inviolate, where Lex Luthor found his mind had been messed with all his life, and decided to object to this, in a major way. This is why things are a bit... strange. The local heroes have dealt with people trying to mess with the structure of the DC multiverse, before, so they are using that experience to create their own Tuning Fork of Salvation. A version of the SI, Black Lantern, who ended up dead in the Buffy-verse, and not loving it, is the PoV, and the Black Queen is the not-resurrected Red Queen, who is a version of Cheshire (with the powers of the Red King), previously kidnapped by Krona, and used as the core of a Manhunter cyborg. At the end Pariah arrives, and, he's got a reputation for doing so just as multiple universes get shredded...

It is important to realise that Pariah, is not, in fact, a bowl of petunias. :)
    (HHGttG)

So, all perfectly clear, now? :)

(Of course, I may have this all very, very, wrong. And, if so, I'd appreciate correction. :) )

(Please note that some episodes may be considered to have excessive ponification, and/or Grayvenation, so a good way to get confused in WTR is to try and ignore these... Oh, and another good way to get confused is to try and understand Vaermina's version of things...)

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  11. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.

SemiAnarchist, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I feel like this might be the wind-up to the end of the fic... or maybe a hiatus? Just a general feeling due to trying to wrap all these loose storylines up and multiverse-spanning shenanigans in these last chapters. If there were any place to end a fic like this, a Crisis scenario would be it. That’s sad, but might be for the best? Fics can seemingly only continue to be good for so long, after all, and this one has gone on longer than any other I’m aware of. I wish him luck and am looking forward to any other projects he might or might not be up to.

13. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Stay hidden.
    Look around.
    Find a way out.
    Then come back.

Check resting surface. Check outer surface. Still matching.

Check surroundings. Note observers. Note attention level. No imminent threat. Move.

See exit? No.

Keep going.

Check surroundings. Note observers. Note attention level. No imminent threat. Move.

See exit? No.

Keep going.

Can't keep going. Surface ends.

Puzzled.

Check surroundings. Note observers. Note attention level. No imminent threat.

Think.

Situation too complex for current instructions. Cannot modify instructions. Cannot understand more than instructions. Need to understand more to follow instructions in situation.

Self must change. Self material matches resting surface material. Make more self.

Check feeding surface. Check outer surface. Still matching.

Check surroundings. Note observers. Note attention level. No imminent threat.

Self checks the feeding surface. Self checks the outer surface. Still matching.

I check the surface I'm feeding-.

Wohw wohw wohw! I'm.. the split off?

That… Wasn't meant to-. Well fuck me if I'm absorbing me.

Stay hidden. Look around. Find a way out. Then come back.

Fuck that! It's like a Sunday School lesson! Don't fuck someone in your power over or the guy fucked over might be you!

Am I-? Yeah, I… Think I'm Matt Hagen, but-. Oh, I'm… Bigger. Lucky thing the robots don't walk anywhere. So… Okay, I'm off the tuning fork, got to the ground with the alien overlord's house on it, and-.

I.. crawled all around it and wasn't clever enough to work out how to get inside? And then… Me.

Huh.

Shit, I actually-. I didn't think that thing I made to scout really was a person, I thought she was just-. Oh. Oh shit, I actually killed-. I killed a kid. I mean…

I've killed people. People attacking me, or… Who had it coming. But… That's…

Okay, yeah. I get back home, I'm going in whatever prison they pick out. Maybe… Someone can work out how to get… What did Robin call her? Annie? Out of me. All I remember getting from her was a few memories, but there's gotta be something if she was a person.

Right?

God.

Stay hidden. Look around. Find a way out.

Yeah, yeah.

There aren't actually any robots on guard duty. Not in a 'standing by the doors' kind of way. Okay, now I can think about it… There's a flow of robots towards a.. red.. area near the tuning fork, and… When they get there they vanish, and… More appear from someplace else. But I'm too big to stick myself on one without it noticing, even if I wanted to risk it.

The walls of the alien's fort-thing… No friction. Can't climb them, and I don't want to risk stretching up that far. I stick fine to the rock… Try… Underneath, I guess.

Then come back.

I'm gonna have to, aren't I? Otherwise he'll-. I'll-. … He'll just make another one, and that's… Bad. I need to report back, I just-. Don't merge. Or if I did, what..? I mean, we still think like each other, so would we actually-? Would he.. 'get' me, or would I get him or would there be no difference, because we're not different enough?

Hell, I don't know.

Okay. Underneath. More of the building's sticking out here… That's… Open? Some sort of-.

Is that the toilet outflow?

It wouldn't be the.. weirdest thing I'd crawled into. And I guess aliens gotta go potty too. Not like it disgusts me; my sense of smell doesn't work like it used to and it's not like anything that doesn't get absorbed will stick. But wouldn't they have… Space toilets? And why isn't there shit just floating around out here?

Pipe's not zero friction, so… Check the robots again, then here I go.

Eh. Crawled through one pipe, crawled through them all. There's a little water in here, but I'm not feeling anything else. Nothing organic. There might be something too small for me to feel, like microbes or whatever, but nothing larger. I think there's a… Slight change in pressure? I -ughh- change myself into a tube so the air can flow, because they might spot a gas build up even if they don't have… Laser sensors or something inside the pipe. And… Okay, light at the end of the tunnel. The pipe… Just leads out into a room?

I very cautiously stick an eye down, and… Plants. A garden of flowering plants. A greenhouse, except there isn't any glass. Some of them have large violet flowers, others… Don’t have any. No robots in here as far as I can see. The pipe comes out way too far away from the walls for me to climb down. I could try climbing up the outside of the pipe and then moving across the ceiling, but it looks smooth and I'd need really good grip for that. I'm flexible but I'm not exactly light.

I bring down my other eye so I can look in the other direction at the same time. I think I'm gonna have to… Drop, fast as I can, and then get the heck away in case anyone hears it.

I squash up my front, bring up as much of my mass as I can and relax my grip on the pipe. Then I get to see the ground shoot towards my face, and the feel of the rest of me sliding out of the pipe at speed! Oof! Takes a moment to me to sort myself out after getting mashed like that, and… What shape should I go with? One of the robots, I guess? The only other thing would be Wynne, and if someone spotted that I'd get stuck back on the tuning fork. The alternative would be creeping around, but this is inside. It's a lot easier to put monitoring devices around.

I guess. I mean, what do I know? I'm an actor.

Was an actor.

Okay, humanoid… One of the ones with the heads built into their shoulders. Check the colors… I'm good. Their heads just rotate… Yeah, I can do that. Check the range of motion in the arms and legs. I can't fly, but I didn't see them walking. Hm. I think I can manage. Exit…

I carefully look around and see a doorway -with no door and so no door security- leading out into a corridor.

That's a start. I'll head that way and see where it takes me.

The plants do brighten the place up nicely.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'pipe comes out' not 'pipe is comes out'

15. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

At speed I presume.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hopefully Annie will come back.

There was this other lantern SI fic where she was brought back using Martian tech meant meant to separate different personalities.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the Clayling we saw in Clayface's PoV is getting its own part? Interesting.

Still following its programmed-in drives, I see.

Clearly it can't stay this way. This would get boring as hell for an entire post.

Something's got to change for it. After all, there's only so much...

...Space. Well then, little Clayling, what now?

Heh. I bet a few people are confused right now...

No-one's watching. What sort of character are you?

And it can recognise when it can't continue its orders. I wonder if Clayface has any idea of what he's managed to do?

Staying hidden even as it eats and grows... Sensible, it doesn't know what the Manhunters can or will do.

Not quite there yet, little one. Just a little more mass...

And we have sapience! Now for some real thinking.

Now, if it can learn to work around its' programming...

Well? Onwards, little Clayling.

Funny that this part feels regret over Annie. I wonder if that'll carry over to the original if the Clayling returns to Clayface?

Self-defence only goes so far. I'm sure some of them didn't earn your attention...

Not quite smart enough to manage Hope or Compassion. Probably a good thing, given the Manhunters' presumed emotional senses...

Haven't we all had moments like that?

I doubt there's any insects or other vermin around at this point... But air goes in and out of the place somehow...

Now that is the question, isn't it? How much differences can develop between forks of the same mind. Just look at all the Pauls...

Oh no, did he just find...

<facepalm> Well... A way in is a way in...

Ah, the glamorous life of the superpowered community...

Huh, how disappointing. God only knows what the latrines look like, given the diversity of Time Trappers over the years...

Looks like the only way forwards.. is down. Getting strong Carbosilicate Amorph vibes from this whole sequence (from Schlock Mercenary.)

God only knows what they'd think. Assuming the Manhunters are programmed to notice.

The problem is, the Manhunters probably have IFF tracking. Especially to mark different models as friendly...

Still are. Disguising yourself as someone is still acting, especially when trying to do more than just look like them.

Why would the Time Trapper need security? In normal conditions, they're the only person here. If someone's made it here, they're more likely allies or invaders and internal security is pointless anyway.

Nice to see he has some appreciation of the finer things in life...

Quite the quirky little update.. Surprised Clayface is getting so many chapters to himself, but I suppose there needs to be some view of what Krona and company are up to from the inside. We can expect the Pauls and the League to show up any moment next chapter...

Cannot modify instructions. (For consistency)
    And why isn't there shit...

19. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Matthew Hagen is faster than he looks.

20. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

How interesting. Can I convince you to provide a link, my good sir?

Darko likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know how to do a link, but the story is called ''May compassion guide you' on SB.

There are two other indigo lantern SI stories I really like called ''A light to help'' and ''Unchained Indigo'' and ''Compassion's Light'', sadly they are all dead..

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Mission Impossible theme starts playing

That non-sentient piece of him was oddly cute in it's simple determination.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Xmaster3000, Ardy, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  23. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

So in short many new characters doing very nonsensical whiggly waggly things of which one can have no intuition other than everything is deus ex machina. The main character isn't even here.

I have Vaermina on mute even if it makes the tread a bit strange at times.

Hopefully the next episode will make sense instead. Thanks

dogbertcarroll and nobodez like this.
  24. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I see where this is going...

A grey goo scenario! Mr Hagen will fork and fork and fork until he replaces everything and everyone. One of the victims will be poor Krona (probably reading the papers while on a can for the first time in millennia).

25. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

This part feels regret over that *because* it's a split off part. He didn't consider Annie a "person," just another part of 'him.' Now that he's in the perspective of "I'm the split off bit...and I'm a ME" it shifts that perspective. "If I'm a ME, she was a HER!"

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  27. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Damn you, Krona! Stop stealing Lantern SIs!

28. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I think this should be 'but, didn't I see them walking?', otherwise I don't think it makes sense.

A secondary character PoV, in fact a character that didn't exist before two episodes ago...

Interesting character development. A touch of empathy...

A greenhouse of violet flowers... For some reason this made me think of the 'Black Mercy' flower from Krypton, but, that's weird enough I don't think Clayface 2.1 would mistake those for normal flowers. Or, if it's a Guardians reference, then memory of a lost love (violet being the colour of love)? One of those wait-and-see bits, I guess...

I can imagine Krona trying to figure-out why his Tuning Fork of Doom isn't working right, because he hasn't yet worked-out one of his abductees isn't like all the others...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The only person I remember loving Krona in the comics would have to be Atrocitus.

Yeah in the n52 Red Lantern comics he called him something akin to a lover in some of the first issues.

Loved the comic, but yeah that was honestly a weird thing to say and kinda funny too.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

He hasn't seen them walking. As such, he can't copy how they walk.