1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Verb tense agreement suggests bite?

This encounter is looking fun!

2. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

I hope Krona didn't go to Warhammer Paul because that is a doorway no one needs open.

Alexandercctv and Vorian like this.
  3. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The sentence is describing events in the past. I don’t remember the exact tense, but if I had to hazard a guess I would say past perfect.
    edit: shows what I know for not checking the full sentence.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    zerofarad likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Kalmin is unwilling to help the paragon learn how to make orange rings himself?

Ardy likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Kalmin is unwilling to share his last generation ring making machine, because he thinks that people should develop their own techniques and devices.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

First off, I hope Lord Protector didn't team up with Mumm-Ra to kill the Thundercats to be able to invoke the Ancient Spirits of Evil. Second, I hope these Pauls can have a bit of a workshop moment when this is done to learn each others' skills and learn the whole they live in fictional worlds whose info was wiped from their minds. Lastly, I want Time Trapper to either get a happy ending or disappear and be replaced with another one so that we don't know who Time Trapper is again.

Bramble Thorn, MasterG, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Did he at least give the paragon any pointers on how mortals can make rings themselves without the help of super beings like Maltusians?

8. Idkusername

Wouldn’t OL be able to make a perfectly functional ring if he can make a lantern, though? The ring wouldn’t have higher functions due to a lack of AI, but that’s solvable with a sufficient application of avarice when Paul makes the ring.

Darko likes this.
  9. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Oh hey, something I suggested years ago. All the way back on Spacebattles.

You probably don't remember it even if you read my comment Mr Zoat, but I was one of the people asking if it was a good idea to place a power ring around a bone in one's body.

Not entirely sure if that's what's actually happening here now that I think about it. This version could be doing something different.

10. Idkusername

The man’s ribcage opens up in a caricature of a mouth. Or I think. Normally shooting someone in the chest with anything is a recipe for disaster, but this one is a special case.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 6 others like this.
  11. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

AI should not be a big issue, if you have a normal ring to pattern it off? Just copy the software over?
    Tho, making one from scratch is gonna be hard

Darko likes this.
  12. Idkusername

Depends on how good the DRM is against brute force avarice de-encryption.
    Assuming a non-orange ring, and why would I do that. You’re right.

13. Mr Zoat

I do vaguely remember it coming up. I think I posted at the time why he wouldn't do that, though Sybarite did.

14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Shouldn't Sybarite be pretty good at magic given he's a demon? or am I making too many assumptions here?

Isn't a singularity projector bignoisyfun stuff?

Wheenesss and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Does anyone remember what Episode Paul ran into the people in metropolis who were holding Lois captive on a building so they could shoot Superman with the bowel disruptor?

I think supes was off planet by then, but can't remember the time.

Darko likes this.
  16. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Millions of years of experience he might have, but he doesn’t seem to have any form of enlightenment and I very much doubt he has bonded with any of the Embodiments.
    The slacker.

Creepy Paul must have a very convoluted recharging process. Also a startling lack of confidence in his ability to have Superior Avarice.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Sybarite isn't the best at applying himself. What little he knows of magical theory he's worked out through personal practice rather than study, and it's nothing that would help with a Guardian.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I was thinking of the things you'd bust out against cosmic-tier threats... Things that make a Wave Motion Cannon or Melta-Torpedo look small. Exterminatus-level weaponry, which would be my go-to when fighting a threat on par with the Anti-Monitor, Ring charge bedamned.
    OL opening with the Singularity projector would qualify as a probing attack... Remember, a fully empowered Maltusian has high-level, nearly reality-altering abilities. Even in Earth-16, they're powerful...

19. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I seem to recall that magic-as-used-on-earth is an entirely different kettle of fish from magic that can be used elsewhere. I think it was Hinon answering OL's comment that some advanced concealing tech only just broke par with the cheap anti-scry sigil that have been spammed against him on Earth.

Then again, it would make sense for this place at the end of the universe to be located where the Life Entity resided

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  20. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

...... FUCK.
    yeah, this is essentislly On a hidden timer now-
    each universe increases the probability of giving the Entropic Devourer a path out of the eye....

Vorian and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was called 'Black Reign'

Canis showed up with Dreamer on Earth, OL fought Kanto, the League went to Apokalips to rescue the members of her group, Adom killed the previous government of Khandaq and tore Queen Bee in half.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, he tore her in half after she did something that he'd warned her in advance not to do, because Queen Bee is arrogant to the point of stupidity due to the advantages her power gives her. A fair number of other people could do that to her, like Dr. Doom, or Sinestro, but she never encountered someone who both could resist her, and was willing to give her a sharp lesson about when she shouldn't do that.

Renegadeverse Queen Bee also died of being arrogant to the point of stupidity, but in a way that was arguably worse (she was killed by machines, which she should have known that she would not be able to influence).

23. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

The Ancient Spirits of Evil aren't picky. They'll give their power to anyone who knows how to call upon them, so long as the one calling isn't a paragon of virtue or such. Of course, the Lord Protector can't invoke their full power to become Ever-Living, since he can't say his true name without knocking himself out, but revealing Krona's deepest fears should be well within what he can channel of their power.

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

So... Where's Paulven at the moment?

25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Whose weirdass parallel Paul's ring was that? It's hard to imagine one with literally no armor in their ring, not even mundane or self-fabricated.

Lupercal, infinityDivided and Darko like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's this YJ fic on SB called Judiciary Misadventures that has the author say what the Light is thinking after the Roanoke incident happened.

Luthor is worried and pissed that it happened, as he should be as several chapters later we see that people discovered what happened and his company was seized from him with him either being on the run, dead or imprisoned awaiting execution.
    The Brain was still mourning Mallah's death and may be building a base on the moon.
    Savage doesn't care.
    Ras was drinking wine that ironically could have only been made with modern tech, the fact that he uses a pit that drives people insane and his closest companions are all fanatically loyal and brainwashed cultists has not helped him in the intelligence department.
    Bee is doing something similar, lounging in her victory deluding herself that she is in power and that no one will come to take it away from her, all of which her brainwashed thralls agree with.
    Spoiler Byalia goes into civil war and collapses.

Really recommend the fic, it is hilarious:D

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Thank you, that was a great reread. How do you remember them?

Darko likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I got a bit annoyed with that, because the author only told us about Luthor getting gitmoed long after it happened and when I -and I think most other readers too- were assuming that he hadn't been. Still, I liked reading it.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I typically use the Recap on TV Tropes If I want to remember an episode.

Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

A correction, she did something that happens naturally when she sweats and becomes nervous. She learned to control her meta human mind control, but the default activation method still happens... That is something she should have told Adom when he warned he would kill her if she tried to mind control him, but revealing weaknesses isn't something people like to do.

Vorian, Jaron, Darko and 1 other person like this.