1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Logic error.

If the laws of physics were different enough that light doesn't work there you wouldn't have been able to send him there via light.

Doccer, PurpLexed and Cuchulin like this.
  2. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"Should Have Posted This Sooner"? You mean during the Grayven Pony episodes?

DAT_NOOB, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I imagine it's like shooting a gun at someone inside a magic zone that makes gunpowder not work. It doesn't matter that gunpowder doesn't work once the bullet enters the zone because physics has taken the wheel by that point, but it's a whole lot harder for someone inside the zone to shoot back. (Or in this case, return.)

4. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

FTFY. By that logic, since you can't push against the ground while airborn, you can't get into the air by pushing against the ground.

5. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure where in the timeline this episode is supposed to take place, but it's probably before this Paul (Fallout Paul = Faul?) got snatched for the Cosmic Tuning Fork. Hopefully he gets a battery to match whatever his ring color is, since the Pauls seemed to be creating / sharing rings among themselves and we can expect at least a few of them to have the raw power and know-how to be able to make rings and lanterns. His psychic powers are neat, but nothing in Fallout can rival the power of a Ring.

Wrapping up the Krona fight, all those extra Pauls getting to have at least a couple days together before they need to start going home to communicate among each other, share Ring tips, training, information files, Rings themselves with hopefully paired Lanterns...

Seriously, our Main Character / Paragon Paul should be coming home with at least one additional Orange Ring, the loaned Violet he was using when he got snatched, and hopefully at least a Green Ring and Battery he could gift to Scott to match the Blue. Maybe a Yellow + Battery, though that seems like the end of it, since the other colors seemed either rarer or not Enlightened. And it's sort of unlikely that Paragon would be a high priority for getting Yellow as a second color anyways, due to his Orange Enlightenment, in comparison to helping out lesser Pauls multi-spec. I'm unsure where the Ring surplus was coming from in the battle, I guess Krona must have just been making them en mass in different colors or something. Or there's a LOT of dead or still trapped Pauls that didn't get off that Tuning Fork.

The big player Pauls seemed to be our MC Orange and the Yellow Paul, we saw only one Black (Vampire / Demon Host Paul from Buffyverse) thankfully, one Red (Teen Titan Paul), one Indigo (The Boys Paul), one Blue (Time Trapper Paul, who knows where he comes from or where he's going), and there was thankfully only one Anti-Green Paul.

But there seemed to be multitudes of lesser Greens and Orange Pauls, who seemed to be the most common. (Which makes sense, because Will and Avarice are the easiest colors to get into.) There might have been at least a couple Reds, due to our MC Orange Paul taking a second to identify Teen Titan Red, but it could also have simply been that he was unsure initially if it was a second Red or if it was the one he knew and he had to double check. Anyways, of those colors, we know our Paragon Paul can make Orange Lanterns and Rings. Yellow can probably make his own color, and I expect that Anti-Green-no-longer could probably make Green Lantern / Ring pairs with instruction from the Enlightened Pauls. Nobody wants more Black, and since there only seem to be one of Red, Indigo, and Blue they're not a high priority on the sharing list even if they might be able to make extra's.

I didn't see any reference to there being a Violet Paul. Since when the WHITE flash occurs Paragon points out that it's not a perfect harmonization because the only source of Violet is being provided by Starfire it seems there just Isn't a Violet Paul present. I dunno what to think about there not being any Violet Pauls. Maybe Krona just couldn't find any? I could have sworn one showed up in a chapter before, but maybe not.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Bad analogy, moving to another universe isn't like moving through the air.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's one way to open a chapter. Also: WTFBBQ! Two chapters in one day? You spoil us, Mr Zoat.

What a fascinating leader. I particularly like the round sunglasses...

That's more than a little worrying. Sounds like something stronger than a mere psychosis...

"You want to see a magic trick?" Seriously, first thing that came to mind.

In other words, let him know his continued survival depends entirely on her willingness to ruin her decor.

And so on and so on, until they piss off someone with better guns. An age-old tale of the Wastelands.

And knowing this Paul, with his mental powers, that should be setting off warning bells.

Ah, they have a history, or at least she thinks they do. How amusing. What's the bet they end up dating at some point?:p

Well, people find entertainment where they can these days. If that means living the life of a fictional character, who's going to argue?

Ah, so no history between them personally. She just thinks there is, because Brainwashed and Crazy...

Given the previous chapters of Old World Blues, It's more that they have a hard-on for your Zetan technology...

Sounds silly, but this is an era where travelling more than twenty miles from home is likely to get you eaten by a Deathclaw. Or a Mutant band. Or robbed and killed by Bandits. Generally, people don't travel.

Ah, the joy of dealing with an idiot...

Let's hope it didn't go too badly for either of them...

And then inevitably lose said technology in time for his next appearance, because continuity.

Good thing he can read her mind and know exactly what to say to play her like a fiddle.

And that's his philosophy in a nutshell. Reminds me of people taking flying abilities in MMOs and ignoring everything between their questgiver and the destination... It's why I never give my Champions Online characters a flying travel power at creation. The Journey is more than just the destination and all that... Even if it means beating dozens of foolhardy crooks into submission on the way.:V

And handily lets them build forces before they eventually come north.

Neutral territory, eh? Or a demilitarised zone, depending.

And that goes right over her head... Seriously, she is an idiot...

Big dreams, eh? An Empire! ...That will collapse as soon as she's dead...

Wouldn't be too many, would there?

Heh. Just making the demand just in case, eh?

Volunteers only, I presume. I don't doubt he guards his loyal followers well.

The joy of telepathy. I doubt the First's mental defences are up to snuff after exposure to the lady's brainwashing tech as it is...

And she's not enough of an idiot to miss the implied threat, of course.

Ha! Hook, line and sinker.

Good luck with that... But they should be able to string her along.

Now, is she convinced? Lots of benefits for no real drawbacks...

Ah, genre-savviness. Another of the Pauls' great powers.

Because it doesn't mean he has to indulge in some regime change, eh?

Well, glad I stayed online. Bet there's going to be a few surprised readers soon. Like thebishop8 said, this was meant to come earlier, before the Crisis of Infinite Pauls? I suppose it fits here as well as anywhere, since there's no obvious ties to the overarching narrative of stolen alternates.

Some errors and suggestions:
    ...as her thoughts go from...
    "I've made some…
    Should probably have a dash in there for consistency?
    ...you and they agree to a non-aggression... (Flows better?)

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Huh. I really enjoyed the Fallout setting you painted last time, so it is weird I didn’t bring up this Paul during this arc. Oh well, at least he has a bearable living situation.

9. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

[Citation needed]
    My claim is that it is possible that it can be initiated in one location with the options available there and can continue to/conclude in another location, bridging the gap between the two by way of some force or mechanism shared between the two which is not readily accessible in the latter due to the differing circumstances.
    You have asserted that it definitely isn't possible. How do you come by your certainty?

BoML, Hell's Razer, Travisplo and 8 others like this.
  10. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

Maybe it isn't where you're from!

11. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Me Zoat, is the SI aware that his soul is made of the Ophidian’s heart?

Why doesn’t he take a Golden or Green ring for his Jade? They have no side effects other than obliquely making the user more stubborn. TheGolden rings have no Bobblehead malware either.

doug89, True Ninja and Darko like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The green rings probably belong to one of the Paul's or Jades so taking one may not be possible, but yeah a gold ring should work, Anti Green got one.

Ardy and True Ninja like this.
  13. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Isn't it nice to get advice that will be INCREDIBLY useful to make use of in the future?

Ngamer11, Caerwen, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  14. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

The Return of the Faul!

I liked this one. I just wish you used him in the crisis somehow. Maybe he could've played the Martian Manhunter/Miss Martian role as psionic team coordinator. Maybe with him there he could've streamlined the whole rainbow beam of banishing thing Council of Pauls did in the end quicker.

Darko likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That's the reason for the title. He is about to become relevant to the story and I wanted to use that segment to remind people who he is. But by the time I decided that was what I wanted to do with it, the final confrontation with Krona had started and I didn't want to try slipping it in.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, but having checked it seems that 'wonderglue' should be one word.
    That's really more of a metaphor...
    You'll find out in a few days.

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I really hope to see him cheese magic development in africa now, which would encourage everywhere else to catch up. Paul could even be crowned King of Africa, and take that all the way to the UN.

Xmaster3000, Ngamer11, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  17. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

*SHEOGORATH INTENSIFIES*

18. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Should be 'lent', or, 'loaned'? (Yes, it's one of those really tricky words...)

Nice wrap-up start, good to see the characters interacting... I hope someone, like Big Yellow, is keeping a really close watch on Time Trapper and Red Queen... If the Gold Lanterns will part with them, 'uncoloured' Lanterns which could later be configured for a specific colour would be nice... Seeing as Lantern issues have messed up a lot of our SI aspects...

I'm hoping that we find out who the other non-SI aspect was, along with Clayface. I could have misread things, but I thought it was implied there was 'Clayling', Clayface, and at least one other.

I'm a little surprised Big Orange hasn't used the time to make himself at least a temporary Orange Ring, but, I'm unsure how much effort this might require. I'm guessing serious use has been made of the ring recharging facilities that I'm pretty sure Krona was using. Of course, if our hero's smart, he's got an Orange Ring in his pocket, which he's not let anyone else know he has.

Very minor detail, but, I think it'd be fun if someone bumps into 'Inviolate' Luthor, and his two SO, on their long journey home through the Bleed and visiting flavours of DC Universe...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The two non SI and non Jade aspects are probably Clayface and the copy he made of himself.

If you're asking why OL didn't make a spare ring and give it to Clayface to give to Peter well that would be because he doesn't know how to make one, or is at least very bad at it.

At least that's what I think you're saying.

On the other hand all the other orange rings were probably given back to the other Paul's so he can't take one with him.

Ardy and True Ninja like this.
  20. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not much time left for Time Trapper’s sudden yet inevitable screw-up.

Short term vs long term.
    Starting with developed nations mean that everyone else is even more eager for an uplift.
    Starting with underdogs makes places like NA resentful.

OL can spread the good will across the world with a few nudges.
    Sybarite will need to batter through entrenched opposition.

Adorable.
    Also: new minion Get!

What part of ‘better than killing him’ did she not get? He will be back. The only question is how long it will take.

While he lacks a power ring the absence of super powered opposition does leave ‘Krono’ on semi-easy mode by default.

21. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

How are the other prominent (i.e. those that had multiple chapters to their name) doing for a soul? I mean, Illustress Paragon needed extra special tattoos to build himself a soul, and said soul is mostly shaped by his environment which, other than the initial bits of variable Earth environmental magic, is now mostly Ophidian stuff, right? And before that he was super vulnerable to magic.
    But Red and Yellow are both actually magic-capable. Indigo comes from a world that doesn't have magic (or at least not independently of Compound V). The Time Trapper is from a world that functions like Paragon's, but never got those tattoos, though he now is the Time Trapper, so who knows. Ex-Anti-Green has been using the Lazarus Pit daily without issue.
    So how are all of these doing for a soul? And how did those who have one actually obtain it?

Another question I guess I have is wether the Warhammer Fantasy and the Warhammer 40k Pauls were abducted and are here as well, and, if yes, why they would ever want to return to their own world instead of going pretty much anywhere else.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  22. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Double update. Mr Zoat thanks for the extra.

I hope OL is being called BIG ORANGE MOJO because he was making lanterns to give to those that don't have any and are playing on hard mode. Bonus points if Lord Paul manages to do the same with yellow after watching OL.

I also hope all the Paul's got to share meta knowledge between their settings and are given some small pieces of relevant information before they get to return... In many cases the information isn't going to be that useful as the plot has probably already been derailed hard, but OL being told that one of the big focus of the "Final season" of young justice involved a blue scarab that wasn't loyal to the Reach would FINALLY justify Paul looking into it hard enough to overcome the theorized blue scarab low power stealth mode and also will justify Paul not flat out destroying the scarab that is a fan favorite semi beloved character of the young justice series.

Then again that doesn't necessarily mean Jaime would still get the blue beetle, but I am mostly a fan of the scarab AI and he would be just as fun teamed up with most other characters.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Red Paul got his soul from Atrocitus, probably when he went into that blood pool to get some control over his rage, like a Lazarus Pit I think.

Yellow either gradually built up a soul after absorbing the magic of his environment, or got one from the Spirits of Evil because they may view him as being superior to Mumm-Ra.

Indigo's comic universe either doesn't have magic, or is really low on it, to the point there are no magical traditions so he doesn't really need one to defend himself from magic users who don't exist, but if his world does have magic then he may develop a soul gradually by absorbing magic.

Time Trapper came from the Mandate universe so maybe he got help from Dr Fate or one of his acolytes. In that universe Nabu had an entire order dedicated to wearing the Helm of Fate on rotation and the Chinese government there also hat other magic users employed, like the Hat, who is a Lord of Chaos. All paragon had was Constantine and some of the members of the Tate Club, while Mandated Paul probably had an entire government agency trained in magic by one of the most powerful and knowledgeable sorcerers in the universe to help him with his lack of a soul.

Blue Lantern had help from Constantine -14, who is a genius thaumaturgist.

Common sense either gradually built up a soul, or got help from Dr Fate.
    In a fan omake he kills Teekle, banishing Klarion, and recommends to Nabu to seek help from Atlantis to find a host, and in another by the same author he makes a deal with Nabu that he will seek a host for him after the Roanoke incident, before telling the League to contact Atlantis and get a name for some potential hosts.
    These two acts could see him earn some cred with Nabu who may be willing to help him with the soul thing, because I think Common Sense Paul would stay the hell away from DC England and Constantine. The fact he wasn't hit by Klarion's magic in the first omake would also make it so he isn't in a rush to get a soul.

Krona either missed the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k versions either because he already had enough Paul's, or he saw the Chaos Gods and decided it would be more trouble than it is worth to deal with them.

Ngamer11, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  24. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

It’s not likely that any of the Pauls could develop a soul on their own. The only reason Paragon was able to do so was because of Constantine’s tattoos. I can’t speak to the validity of other methods, however.

Jaron and Darko like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure Zoat said they gradually could develop one.

It may not be as fast as the tattoos or the Pit, but it is possible, though the souls probably won't be all that powerful.

Vorian likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'd need to check, but I suspect that the Super Mutants who made The Father are still around somewhere. That thing was a mini-Flood. Plus there are super-advanced aliens and magic.

27. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

We have no idea what it"s like here. In DC it's just a special effect, though.

Ardy likes this.
  28. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

All in favor of officially naming all of the enlightened Pauls "Big [insert colour]"? Because I think it is hilarious.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is Paul going to talk to his common sense version in the next few chapters?

What sort of things has he been involved in helping the development of his version of Earth 16?

True Ninja likes this.
  30. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know you said that Kalmin is super territorial about his machines, but he probably has a really excellent grasp of the actual mechanics of ring construction that could still make him super helpful for a mortal trying to learn how to do it even without access to machines.
    It's unclear how many of the Pauls died here - it might have been zero, but it's definitely possible there are some surplus power rings around.
    Very neat thing, though feel it's a bit of a shame that Krona didn't throw out more exotic attacks rather then mostly just use exotic physics based defenses and such.
    Look forward for more exotic light manipulation stuff.

Darko, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.