1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I read the reveal of all the SI alts on the Tuning Fork of Doom to include three of them who caused surprise, and that didn't include those with 'cranial work'. So, Clayface, 'Clayling', what was the third?

Now, a magical pony SI alt would have been a real surprise... :)

2. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

I know we're on QQ now but that’s still too many maids.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

That was a fun storyline! Very climactic, lots of cool perspectives.

4. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 26)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I feel a moment of disorientation-.

"…intervention of the Chinese army under General Wu in the Autumn of sixteen fifty seven, the war shifted decisively in favour of crown prince Shukoh Dara, so preventing…"

I open my eyes, reaching out across the bed. It's still instinctual, a triumph of hope over experience. No, a warm patch-.

I've seen myself doing this thousands of times, but this is only the second time I've actually done it.

22nd October
    06:14 GMT +8

I come to full alertness immediately, jerking up into a sitting pos-.

"I don't know how you sleep through that."

Jade. Jade, my Jade. She's-.

She's-.

She's looking at me with an air of concern. "Bad dream?"

I haven't… Spoken to her-. I haven't been Orange Lantern, for-.

Do I lie and try to preserve the day, or-.

No. No.

"Sorry. Time travel." I wipe my eyes with my right hand. "This is my.. second time through.. today, and the first time… Didn't go very well."

Half a second, then she's already walking towards our bedroom's phone. "Do we need to notify anyone?"

"It's-. It should be dealt with. I'll-. I'll write up a report, submit it to Nabu-."

"Lord Nabu."

"No, it's-. I get elevated later today. Since it's part of my personal timeline, it's still valid. So I don't need to use his title every time."

She stops, taking a moment to absorb that. I.. gingerly get out of bed, standing on the floor. The carpet feels…

I wipe my eyes again.

Jade frowns. "How bad was-?"

I transition across the room and wrap my arms around her, pulling her into my chest and pressing my face into the side of her head.

After a slight hesitation she hugs me back. I.. take a few moment, breathing in the… Damp towel that's wrapped around her hair. She's just gotten out of the shower, yes, I.. remember.

"Sorry." I relax my grip enough that we can look one another face to face. "I'll be.. fine once the shock has worn off. At the moment I'm.. still…"

"Controllers in the Imperial Security Agency are taught how to handle operatives experiencing battle fatigue." She takes a careful breath. "If you have received the Mandate, you can simply inform Lord Fang that you are unable to attend."

"No, that-. It's too big a deal for Souma. I want the part where I receive the Mandate to happen in the same way. Nabu will probably have a few questions for me, but I should be able to defer them until afterwards."

I have observed many timelines where Nabu behaved in various ways. I'm confident I know enough to communicate to him that he should let me speak in my own time-.

I need to check whether Nylor Truggs ended up here. He shouldn't have, but ironically the changes I made to the rules concerning time travel weren't retrospective.

Jade gives me a serious look.

"Do not offend Lord Fate."

"I can promise that I won't leave him offended. Though I technically have seniority on him now."

A small frown. "Lord Fate is-. Oh."

"Yes. Incidentally, I completely agree with you about Jade, and the pie restaurant was-" She blinks. "-an interesting choice."

"Pie..?"

"Jade decides we should celebrate my elevation by going to an 'English' restaurant. Oh, and she prefers it if you call her 'Jade' when we're on a date."

"How.. do you remember that?"

"I broke and remade the universe to get you back. There is nothing about our time together that I haven't played through my mind a thousand times in order to remind myself why I was doing it."

"Oh."

"Sorry, I realise that this is quite a lot to drop on you." An orange wave passes over me as I neaten myself up, then filaments tag the clothes Jade selected for me… Last time. I smile as they appear on my body. "A red tunic with the blue trousers, indicating my relative inexperience and desire to grow. Technically a lie now, but it matches what I wore last time and no one complained." I pull away and give her a shallow bow. "Thank you for your good advice, oh patron of my heart."

"What other good advice did I give you that I don't remember?"

"That Intelligence would be perfectly happy to provide me with an early morning news summary. You were quite right about that, thank you."

She nods.

"And-. Ah, when I said that Jade would prefer you to use her first name when we're together-."

"I'm.. probably not going to be-."

"Yes, yes, I'd forgotten that you thought that. Jade." I take her hands in mine. "I'm not trading up. I'm not moving to a relationship with a higher status partner. I don't care about that. I love you, and while I know you find my lack of ambition strange and a little frustrating, please accept that I'm telling the truth about it."

Her head turns a little to the right.

"Yes, I-."

"Jade."

She looks me straight in the eyes. "I know that."

"And how do you feel about you dating Jade?"

"That's not usually how it-. You've had this conversation before. You know how I feel about whatever it is you're actually asking."

"I know how you responded to the idea. I know how it unfolded over the next two very busy days. I said that I'd only consider it if all parties were equally involved, and you asked if it-."

"Was some sort of European homosexuality fetish."

My eyes widen.

"Do you remember saying that?"

"No, it just occurred to me. If I remember my temporal mechanics lectures correctly I'm still almost the same woman as the one who mentioned it in the timeline you experienced. And… Jade… Liked the idea?"

"She was more than a little nervous about trying to have a relationship at all. She's found the awkwardness that comes with being mandated when her potential partner isn't makes it too awkward. So-."

She nods. "So it will be easier for her if I don't mention it at all. I.. think I can manage that. What else do you already know?"

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  5. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I'm fucking confused.

6. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Time-trapper has reintegrated in his original timeline, and this is the start of the Mandated episode.
    Only this time around Savage is not going to fuck everything up, and TimeTrapper remembers everything

7. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well, that was all confusing, and now the Chinese are in charge again. Okay. Let's see where this goes.

8. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Yay, Happy ending!

9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Next Episode's title is Low Politics, apparently. Any guesses?

10. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Maul succeeded, and woke up on the day his timeline started, since it got rebooted back into existence. But since he retained his memories, he remembers it happening already.

11. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Delete double-quote mark.
    Capital O?
    be -> me
    make -> makes

It took me way, WAY too long to figure out which Paul this was. It's been so, so long since we saw the Mandated timeline.

13. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

In a different timeline, this isn't the original OL, this is Time Trapper Paul.

14. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

He's about to be super clingy for the next month or so and I can't blame him.

SaltyWaffles, PDV, Chaoswind and 8 others like this.
  15. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I found a new trope for the WTR page!
    Atlantis, mayhaps?

PDV, infinityDivided, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And apparently a flashback to his last day in his timeline. Which is now the first of many more, I would think.

I hope the experience isn't too much of a let-down. Imagining something is often far more exciting than actually doing it...

And this is the opening moments of the Episode 'Mandated', bringing him full circle back to where he began.

Easy, Maul. It may have been a long time for you, but...

A very, very long time, I would suspect...

Honesty would be the best policy, methinks. No way would you be able to hide the shifts in personality for long.

And it says so much about her life that she accepts that with hardly a second's hesitation.

Heh, the joy of dropping back into an earlier point than you were taken. Just have to be careful about paradoxes, and his changes make that unnecessary.

It's not quite your bedroom back on Earth-Prime, but I suppose there's no place like home?

"That bad, then?"

Still more than a little scattered. Hopefully all of him made it back in one piece.

I'm sure they'll be understanding. Protocol and ceremony comes first in this culture, after all. It may take a little give and take of Face...

So if he was here before the divergence point engineered by your return, he'll still be here in this timeline.

I suppose the altered history does make the buckethead a big cheese here...

...But rank and the age of his current hosts probably play a part too.

Smoothing over a few arguments before they even happened. So cavalier about causality...

Oh, my. Is that a crack in her professional veneer I see?

And now he's teasing. Be nice, Maul.

Ah, and admitting your own fault. Good way to smooth matters over.

Protocol and ceremony. To not show proper respect would be an insult.

Ah, might that be a hint of a blush in there too?:D

She is very firm about not being taken seriously, isn't she? Must come from having to work her way up the ranks.

She's a smart one. Clearly if he knows what happens, he knows her feelings.

Heh. And she can surprise him, I see.

Maul, please. You were the one with the ripple-proof memory as Time Trapper...

Ah, taking advantage of his foreknowledge to gain some advantage. Now that is the Jade we know...
    And so ends the episode. Good to see Maul got his happy ending (not that kind... Not yet!x3) after everything he's done. I don't doubt that he'll have to struggle with some of those things, too. But I doubt we're going to see that anytime soon... Onwards!

I'm not moving to a relationship with...

17. Gromweld

Gromweld Learning By Mistake

Fun times with Time Travel! Have any other Pauls had similar (but obviously not as grand in scope) Groundhog's Day-like events, or is Mandated!Paul now the token Bill Murray!Paul?

If there is one beat I'd like to see from the Mandated side of things in the wrap-up, it's a meet-up with the Harmonious One and the Hat about what was actually in that scroll/plan of theirs they gave Mandated Paul to make him become Time Trapper. They certainly deserve a chance to be smug on-screen about saving the universe/multiverse!

18. Mr Zoat

I can't see a double quotation mark.
    It is a capital. It's just a smaller size.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Lucidum

Lucidum Verifiably Bored

I can't help but be happy for Maul... but I have the sinking suspicion that the longer he stays in his timeline the more discontent and disheartened he's going to become. He spent an indescribable amount of time 'saving' their timeline literally by an act comparable to a god and recreated his timeline, I'm uncertain how the higher-ups in his fairly hierarchal society are going to feel about that.

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Too many Lords? (This is from the story only thread. Someone linked to the previous Mandated chapters and I've been reminiscing.)
    Nicely dOne!
    Sorry, I misread the flow of the paragraph.

21. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Either politics in a low place (Atlantis is the obvious choice, but maybe it's the Netherlands or Australia) or "low politics" as in dirty politics.

Cuchulin, Darko and Alexandercctv like this.
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Something tells me the status focused society he lives in won't take well to the news that they are essentially a time-anomaly.

Cuchulin and Gantradies like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And we have yet to see what actually caused Pariah to show up.

Gantradies and Lupercal like this.
  24. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Another Hell episode? Mammon's reelection campaign?

PDV, NeoDarklight, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

You will have to remind me which one that was.

26. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

27. david

david Getting sticky.

He may just double-down on his lack of ambition and decide to semi-retire with his two beloved Jades. Regarding the higher-ups, I'm 99% certain that he has founded his own Lantern Corps in this timeline as well so they're probably just patting themselves on the back over the fact that they already got him promoted and double-married.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I wonder how this is going to interact with Doctor Sivana's whole ... thing with the evil raider fairies from the future.

Because if I'm understanding the mechanics of this correctly, that's kind of been fixed, in that now every time travel event means the traveler's future is no longer your future. Your future might be similar, but each time traveler comes from a timeline in which they did not travel time.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  29. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I think part of the confusion is that you guys are forgetting there are two Jades being referenced in this conversation: Jade Nguyen, who is sharing Chaul's bed, and Jade Yifei, whom Chaul was being advised to ask on a date "today" by Jade Nguyen.

30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I've got to admit that Imperial OL getting his happy end is a silver lining to the otherwise (in my opinion) lackluster arc. Will we find out how he deals with time traveler Savage this time around?

You mean after using truth magic to verify that he spent centuries and risked everything with a single-minded focus in order to save their empire, their planet, and every single life upon it? I don't know. Maybe they name a month after him. Or gift him England. Or build him a giant naked diamond statue in the middle of the Bialian desert.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Ardy, True Ninja, protoss16 and 11 others like this.