1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... This isn't something you get to rules lawyer.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Nekron was perfectly happy taking his nap until stupid humans woke him up.

Darko likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Were you being sarcastic there?

Politely stating the skills and power that he Lantern has then.

david likes this.
  5. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Liar. Comparative literary analysis of writing styles proves that you are, in fact, secretly that 115 year old dead Russian-American woman.

6. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Ok, so with Crisis of Infinite Pauls settled and the Grayven Pony arc advanced back to Equestria, can someone explain things to me?

Was the Fools Canon bit with Nightmare Moon just a hallucination/illusion for Paul? Or is it going to be a result of hypertime with Grayven dating 'a' Luna while Paul recruits 'an' alternate-timeline Nightmare Moon?

Because Nightmare Moon said she was Luna for 8000 years before being Nightmare Moon for 5 minutes, while Luna in the Grayven trip to Equestria says she was 40-ish, I think?

I mean, I'd be a bit sad if OL-Azula and OL-Tai Lung aren't things in the future, but the niggling uncertainty is driving me up the wall with anxiety.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Equestria and King Fu Panda and Avatar bits from the first April Fools episode either took place in a different universe when OL discovered a way to travel there, or in the case of the Equestria one it happened in a DC universe that had Equestria in it.

8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

We did have some limited evidence that Fool's Cannon Future Paul was accurate with what was observed from Paragon's POV, as both having given OL the plan to get rid of Ambush Bug in the first place (as he remembered it working), as well as a small name drop of a future orange lantern recruit that OL then met in person during the angelic invasion story line.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You said you corrected this, so either you missed a spot, or this mistake happened twice:
    looks me

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Low Politics

4th April
    09:12 GMT -1

I appear in the air over the mid-Atlantic, empathic vision scanning the seas below for the man who-. There he is. I

step out

and appear a short distance from him within his field of view. Lord-. No, King Cyprian is moving his hands, water rippling around them to unleash a destructive pressure blast before he's even consciously aware of who it is that just appeared. I raise my hands as his not-much-slower-off-the-mark bodyguards begin preparing their attacks as well.

"I'm sorry, but-"

He moves to conceal his hands as he dismisses the spell, consciously relaxing his posture to indicate that his guard should stand at ease. He's hoping that I didn't notice his preparedness, or the situation with the rest of Atlantis that caused it.

"-I urgently need-"

Spell dismissed, he raises his right hand to stand down the guard and straightens his posture.

"-to talk to you."

"Illustres Paul. You can simply make an appointment. Since we're working together I've put you on the 'priority approval' list."

"Too slow. I urgently need to hire as many archmages as you can spare."

He conceals his concern well, but whatever protections he routinely uses aren't blocking my empathy. I'll warn him about that after this meeting.

"What for?"

"Magic users are uncommon in the galaxy at large. A world under NEMO's protection is being threatened by a magic-based intelligence and it doesn't have a native magic tradition. NEMO doesn't have good access to magic users inside its territories and.. those it could get generally aren't as well educated as Atlanteans."

"What sort of intelligence?"

"Thousands of eyeballs floated into the sky, came together in blobs and started accusing the locals of 'breaking the covenant'."

"Ah. Yes, that does sound like magic."

I see a little spark of interest, swiftly doused.

"Do you know the nature of the covenant? If it's just a matter of making a votive offering-."

"No."

"I realise that it’s concerning, but as king I make a number of ritual offerings and sacrifices each year to gods whom Venturia no longer worships. These-."

"I can't find out because my colleagues and I killed all of the priests."

"Oh. Yes, that.. would make things rather difficult."

"I don't want to negotiate. I want to kill it. I'm confident that the local Orange Lanterns and I can kill it, but I want to check that there won't be any blowback and that it isn't doing anything actively against the civilian population other than being really disturbing."

King Cyprian nods slowly. "We can help with that. Do you have any other requirements?"

"Everyone you select must be able to survive exposure to magic-based planes of reality, because that's how we'll be travelling."

"That cuts it down considerably. But I'm certain that we can-" He looks over to a courtier. "-draw up a list."

The courtier nods and activates a scrying pool.

"Given.. the.. international situation, I'm afraid that I can't simply release our archmages without getting something in return. I assume you're offering something in exchange?"

"Yes. A LEGION defence contract."

While I doubt that he'd usually offer one over something like this, Dox is rather interested in recruiting magic users on an ongoing basis. We didn't even know that Tillettit was mystically active, and if there's one thing Dox hates it's intelligence oversights.

"Is.. that..?"

"Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operations Network. NEMO's space fleet and marine corps. If you accept the pact, your security becomes our concern. Please note that this will only cover defensive operations. If you start a fight you can't finish, we don't care."

"I don't intend to. You're.. aware then that relations with Atlantis…"

"I know that you were crowned king and declared independence. I don't know enough about Atlantean law to know how problematic that is."

"Generally speaking, when part of your country decides that it doesn't want to be part of your country any longer, that means war."

"Is King Orin going to take that option?"

"I'm not sure that I've given him much choice. What do you know about the political situation?"

"Not much. And to be honest, it's not my problem."

"This agreement will make it your problem."

"No, it won't. I don't care who was right or wrong… Does this go back to Princess Diana's fight with Queen Clea?"

"No, before that."

I think for a moment, then shrug. "I still don't care. Your city has been disconnected for long enough that hardly anyone in Atlantis is going to be meaningfully affected. If the royal family had decades to fix the problem and didn't, then they don't have any cause for complaint. I would however respectfully suggest that it might be politically advantageous to hold a ballot on the subject, but otherwise it isn't my concern."

He regards me curiously. "A ballot?"

"King Orin grew up in America, a democracy. He's used to the idea that the will of the majority of the citizens should set the direction of policy. I assume that you have an up to date census?"

A mild frown. "Of course we do."

"Then invite a few observers from other city-states in and get your citizens to record their preference: independence or reunification. If you get a decent majority in favour of your position then he'll feel that he's in the wrong, and you could probably get him to agree to postpone things indefinitely."

"I hadn't.. considered… I assume that the observers are to demonstrate that we aren't strong-arming our citizens." I nod. "A curious way of doing things, but I take your point. Have you told him what you're offering us?"

"No. I'd rather that he didn't need to find out. But feel free to inform him if he threatens to invade."

"Can your LEGION fight in the ocean?"

"The guns we use? We don't really need to."

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  11. Mr Zoat

Looks like I corrected the Story Only version and my copy but no the main thread version. Thank you, corrected.

12. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*and appear a

13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Wait... What?! What the heck happened during those two days in between?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

think it should be:

'this, Dox' instead of 'this Dox'

'in the galaxy' not 'is the galaxy'

15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Remember the planet that cut women’s eyes out in the name of their god?

Their god showed up.

16. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Is should be in.

17. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Ah yes, the eye-gouger planet.

To be honest I'm kinda annoyed that you gave the priests any actual excuse. This sounds more like a demon deal gonne wrong than anything else.

18. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Well, apparently the planet that used to cut the eyes out of all their females before the Orange Lantern Corps defenestrated the clergy, had a bunch of eyes show up out of nowhere, form into blobs, and start haranguing the locals for 'breaking the covenant'.

19. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Until Zoat says otherwise, I’m just gonna assume that it’s less demon-pact gone wrong and more that annoying little thing about how belief can shape the Dreaming, thus making gods and such exist retroactively.

Ardy, mastermenthe, sagemo and 22 others like this.
  20. david

david Getting sticky.

So I got the blinding women planet, but when did the anti-reach faction get named NEMO?

21. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Low politics as in ocean floor?

22. david

david Getting sticky.

I'm expecting either the priests to have entered into the covenant willingly, or for them to have specifically picked all the women when only 50% of the population was necessary.

True Ninja, Vorian, Lupercal and 5 others like this.
  23. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

And this is why you don't just wholesale slaughter an entire group you know nothing about.

I wonder if they even knew about this, or if it was just a coincidence that they kept it going for so long. Probably someone high up knew but if the common citizens didn't then I doubt most of the priests did.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Low politics means all the things that are not vital to the survival of the state as a whole.

This episode could deal with the political situations the OLC and their various organizations, like NEMO, may find themselves in.

Like dealing with Venturia, making sure the society on that eye gouger planet doesn't collapse after seeing their god come out to scare them, with trying to hold the continent that worshipped him from going back to their ways and making sure the other continents don't adopt that religion and its practices if they see the god is real.

Hell's Razer, Ardy, JoTa34 and 7 others like this.
  25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense. Time to make sure the covenant isn't going to be a problem and kill the magical entity, then.

ashadowalker, JoTa34, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He still has the sword of the fallen,right?

So if god or not: EYEBALL STAP!

Although it is commendable he wants to check for side-effects first.

27. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

The SI's Sword of the Fallen was destroyed by the Angels of the Silver City.

The Renegade still has his.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And that's why you always ask what the reason for a thing is before you murder everyone.

29. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Yeah, I would assume that it was at worst a deal they were pressured into making and then as a society learned for it to be moral, but I doubt it: It's probably just their gods, with the covenant being the supposed contract of protection.

Killing all of them was definitely not the most correct action, and I don't know enough about the rest to know how they dealt with those that weren't taking violence against women but were raised to be misogynistic, but I don't think it was a wrong answer, just not as good as some others might be.

Of course, there's also Orange Enlightenment coming into play, deciding how much effort he's willing to expend to make the society better. Western society tends to be super into all-or-nothing, either doing it right or not doing it at all, while Paul is willing to put in enough work to get the ball rolling even if the solution isn't optimal.

30. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

In that case I expect to see some side conversation at some point in Renegade's story where he casually mentions stabbing the eyeball god while on a field trip with the kiddos.