1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Oh. Yes. Mumm-Rana makes more sense. I was rather confused how one could have trouble finding pictures of the main villain, but I clearly rolled with what my tired eyes were telling me.

The only picture I could find that even attempted to give her a 2011 re-imagining was this.

[​IMG]

Which is certainly a step up from her original incarnation. Because original Mumm-Rana was, us, kind of ugly.

Prince Charon, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I think the reason is more that this Paul didn't mindfuck himself.

[​IMG]

dogbertcarroll and Xmaster3000 like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul has shown a great degree of violet in his speech when speaking about Jade, so he loves.

While Paul did somewhat mindfuck himself he is still able to feel other emotions.

Jade on the other hand due to her past isn't so eager to feel those types of emotions, unlike Khoah who was just an ordinary farmer before she met Yaul and thus lacks many of Jades issues.

When I made my previous comment I was talking about the fact that Khoah shows more violet than Jade because of the previous mentioned reasons.

Also nice pic of Mumm-Ra

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I liked the Renegades solution to genetic reconciliation.
    Where he knew what traits Kon's human genes coded for, what traits kryptonian genes coded for, and then swapped out the human genes for their kryptonian analogues.

So if he had an easily charged ring, he could use its AI to analyse human dna (if that isn't already done and on file thanks to database sharing), and once the same analysis is done to thunderkat dna, he could just take a sperm sample from himself, and convert it to a sample of thunderkat sperm that represented equivalent thunderkat genes.

No hybrid complications, or troubles with his children having their own children later on, but still keeping to the 'half of you, half of me' essence of children.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yaul may be a bit more cautious than renegade as he doesn't have a Fatherbox that has data on both Kryptonians and Humans, and while his ring can take a scan of thundercat DNA there is no guarantee it can safely make it so they can have children.

And if he is like Paul then he may be unconcerned with having children and would love Khoahs children with her late husband like his own.

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

When new forms of government are set up I always like to extrapolate to future generations, even if immortality might make it unnecessary.

Right now Yaulistan, if Yaul lives a couple years and then dies, will have a civilian Queen-Mayor, an advisory council that may or may not become hereditary, and a military headed by someone with a yellow power ring (or three) that in truth is only as beholden to the Queen and government as they want to.

Over the longer term this seems inherently unstable to me. The military commander will have the Great Founder's magical tool of office and will clearly and evidently be both a Lord and have taken the role of the nation's Protector, just like the Lord Protector. In the near future either a heir of Khoah learns to wield the ring and reunites the hereditary head of state position with the Protector role or there will almost definitely be a military coup.

7. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

He explicitly said that he doesn't want to form a hereditary monarchy so he doesn't need biological children. If he wants more kids than his stepchildren he can always adopt - it's not like there's ever going to be a shortage of orphans even in a prosperous world, much less a war-torn world like his.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The system does have its risks, but it may also be a necessary thing as if he is gone then at least the civilization wont descend into anarchy.

Yellow Rings may not make the user immortal like orange ones, but I may be wrong on that.

His enlightenment can greatly help him with viewing other peoples emotions so that he can make sure they don't have any thoughts of betraying him or abusing their powers.

The system may be unstable, but then again so is the system of letting a single individual be a linchpin that holds everything together, only for that person to be taken out and everything to collapse.

Ngamer11, Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  9. Rafin

The system is only unstable if the positions of ring wielder and head of state become codified as separate. Pumyra might accept Khoah's primacy over civilian matters, but even she I expect to follow her own preference if they disagree on foreign policy or military matters. And Pumyra will probably follow in Yaul's footsteps as judge/jury/executioner. Best case scenario one of Khoah's children joins the military, excels before Pumyra's death, and is able to attune to the ring. It would avoid an ugly coup or a potentially hateful and terrorized civilian population by keeping a clear line of legitimacy without perceived injustice and tyranny.

10. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

As long as the yellow ring has a proper AI and a wielder fearful of their own mortality, I don't see a reason why it can't render death-by-old-age a non-issue.

Bramble Thorn, Xjalnoir, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  11. Rafin

For an enlightened user it should work just as well as an orange one when it comes to immortality as long as they fear death even a little.
    A non-enlightened user with a fear of death might become more undying than unaging and become more and more similar to a lich over time. Like Alan Scott -14 for instance.

On that note, Mr Zoat how does Lord Protector Yaul actually look, when compared to you?

Darko and Vorian like this.
  12. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I’d assume it to be a more conscious process than what Paul went through with an orange ring, but yes.

I’m pretty sure the laugh is supposed to be orange.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Al Scott doesn't fear death. He's just soaked in it.
    As with most variants of me, he's a good deal more muscular. He's also thinner, as there really isn't much food around and -like Alexander the Great- he wanted to make it clear that he wasn't getting more than anyone else. His irises are yellow, his hair is shorter and by now his default facial expression is markedly harsher.
    No, the laugh is the sound he actually made. The orange stuff is translated. In theory, I should have written what he actually said in white to go along with it, but I don't speak norse.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Alan's lantern was also damaged and leaking light so it is possible that the same is true for his -14 counterpart.

He may not be so much a Lich as he is a guy that looks a bit like a corpse.

Yaul may look like Paul before he got altered by his ring, so most likely fairly average, possibly somewhat thin as Zoat mentioned that the yellow ring burned off all unnecessary fat from the body like the red ring did and he may not have any of the musculature that Red has because he may not be that physically active as he is ruling his society and not fighting like Raul is.

Something about the Einharjer was preventing the ring from being able to use its normal translation effect.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Rafin

I meant in appearance. Al Scott is immortal for the same reason Scott 16 is, right?

Darko likes this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Alan doesn't exactly fear death but he isn't in any rush to meet her yet.

Another part of that may be because they absorbed so much of their respective lights they automatically got a slowed aging process even if they weren't knowingly slowing down said process.

Alan 16 didn't know about what happened to him and Alan -14 also probably didn't know that too.

Zoat are paragons irises orange?

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

On the one hand I do enjoy Paultector updates.
    On the other trying to read yellow with the site-style I prefer remain annoying.

Xmaster3000, Darko and Vorian like this.
  18. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

At this point I have to ask; does Lord Protector have the Gauntlet of Plun-Darr?

19. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Ah, yes. That lean and hungry look.

Darko likes this.
  20. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I've heard that described as 'engineer/programmer under a bus' on one or two jobs I've done... Who is critical to the project, and, are they making sure that no project-critical stuff only exist in their head?

Until/unless we get industry-approved necromancy this will be a continuing issue. :)

Or, we get the staff to take proper, regular, backups of themselves, as well as the systems they use. :)

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed, for most of human history it was "Mama's baby, Papa's maybe" as you could never be 100% a woman hadn't getting it on with the milkman or a traveling salesman or what ever at some point (men did that kind of thing all the time after all). So raising those kids is more important than getting their mother pregnant.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Darko likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    I'd have to rewatch the series to give a definite answer, but if it wasn't with the Rats then no.

23. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Here is a clip of Lion-O and Pumyra retrieving the sword and gauntlet from Mount Plun-Darr:

dogbertcarroll, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

5th April
    16:52 GMT -5

"…the eye-goo out of my hair for the next month, but we managed to deal with it."

Kon frowns as we head towards the training room.

"What happened to your environmental shield? Did the magic bypass it?"

"No-. I mean, metaphorically. Yes, my environmental shield kept it from actually touching me but it was still pretty disturbing."

"What did it want, anyway?"

"Eyeballs. We confirmed links between the elemental and the reliquaries the cult used to use."

"Why?"

"Don't know and don’t care. When you demand that people give you eyeballs, you lose the right to complain when they take yours."

Richard and Wallace look around as we enter the training room, Richard smiling…

"What?"

"The UN Security Council wanted to talk to the Justice League about Brazil."

Wallace nods. "Sounds like they aren't too happy about a tribe with superpowers trying to take over a country. Or about the League not stopping them."

I frown. "But they didn't-." Understanding dawns. "Which Security Council member called the meeting?"

Richard's smile widens. "China."

"And they want to hash out the League's policy on civil wars."

He keeps smiling.

"Because they don't really care about Brazil, but they aren't all that keen on the idea of the League deciding that Taiwan or Hong Kong aren't part of the People's Republic and doing something about it."

"And guess who just handed a city full of Atlantean separatists a space fleet?"

I turn to face Kon. "You didn't."

He blinks in surprise. "No? Why did you give a separatist city a space fleet? I didn't even know you had a fleet."

"I personally don't have a fleet. LEGION on the other hand has several fleets. Dox has wanted to put some ships in this region of space for a while. I think he thinks we're a 'threat to the universe' or something."

I shrug. Wallace grins.

"Ah, was he just talking about you there, Oh El, or do the rest of us count as well?"

"Wallace, you can run at the speed of sound in an atmosphere without catching fire. I suspect that he actually finds you more offensive than me. And I didn't give them a fleet. Venturia is now a LEGION supplier, and is entitled to its protection. The rest of Atlantis has had next to nothing to do with it for more than fifty years and I'm fairly confident that the referendum they're holding will show landslide support for partition." I shrug. "That's good enough for me and it's more than good enough for Dox. What do you think a place should have to do for us to recognise its independence?"

Kon shrugs. "Why do we have to do it at all?"

"Because we're the most powerful military force on the planet."

Wallace shakes his head.

"We're not a military."

"What was Mister Garrick doing during the Second World War?"

"Okay, yeah, and Russia didn't give more people super speed because they didn't want him to help America give more people super speed. But Jay coulda given more people super speed anytime since the thirties."

Richard bows his head slightly. "Yeah, that's the point. If you've got power, everyone else who wants to do anything has to take into account the fact that you might use it. The whole reason why we have anti-vigilante laws is because not everyone who wants to beat up bad guys has the same definition of 'bad' as everyone else."

"But we're not.. going to invade Taiwan." Wallace looks a little nervous. "Right?"

"You tell me. What would have to happen for you to decide that invading Taiwan was the correct thing to do?"

"I dunno. World War Three?"

Kon doesn’t look sure. "Most wars aren't as morally simple as World War Two. I don't think I'd want to fight in World War One."

"I totally would."

"Themyscira didn't fight in World War One."

"Sure, but if I win a tournament I can call myself Wonder Man and go out and beat everyone into submission in the name of peace. I would be a just and fair hegemon-"

Richard looks up at the ceiling for a moment. "Everyone else seeing Paul in Wonder Woman's-?"

Wallace and Kon nod.

I shrug. "It's unisex."

Kon shakes his head. "I don't think men are allowed to participate in that tournament-. You already checked."

"You just have to be a citizen of a Themysciran city. In the old days men weren't, but I legally am."

"But the point-." Wallace stops and looks me over. "The point is, okay, just because there's a big war happening doesn't mean I'd need to get involved. I get it. And since I paid attention in history class I know that since the Second World War there's a whole lot of stuff the US government has done that I'd probably try and stop if I was there. But if Venturia can break away and you're fine with it, what's the difference between that and the American South breaking away before the Civil War? That was pretty popular in the South."

"Slavery, obviously. If the South didn't have slaves and still wanted independence, what would be wrong with that?" I shrug. "Nothing. I mean, that's what democracy is all about: legitimacy comes from the consent of the governed. The people are sovereign. If the majority want to go, what right do the rest have to stop them?"

Richard folds his arms across his chest. "Can't see the US federal government seeing it that way. Or Poseidonis."

"Before I left Earth Prime, my country had a ballot scheduled on Scottish independence. If the nationalists won, a chunk of the United Kingdom would have separated with the consent of the national government, completely peacefully. But going back to the original point-."

Wallace nods. "China… What, they freaked out because if Taiwan made an army of super soldiers the Justice League might decide not to do anything about it?"

Richard shrugs. "Or they woke up to the fact that Justice League members do have political opinions. Or that like Paul says, the Justice League is the most powerful military force on Earth and might just decide that it doesn't want UN oversight anymore."

Kon looks at him. "But Batman's got a plan for that, right?"

"Recognized, Aquaman, zero six, Aqualad, B zero two."

Kon pats me on the back, then the three of them make a speedy exit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Add "give" after "America".

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh this'll be fun. Also, I really hope he backs Hong Kong. He should absolutely back Taiwan, given they're an independent country already.

27. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

That's going to be awkward.

Edit: Ah what was here wasn't a typo. I misread something.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily in this universe they're not.

Also let us all pray to the jumped up elementals that this episode doesn't get Zoat banned from this site due to its no modern politics rule.

29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I mean earth very much is a threat to the universe if we're honest.

and I re-hash a previous point, any supervillain need merely declare themselves in rebellion against the state and the justice league can't stop them.

Pauls perspective on this is stupid.

30. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

"Yes, it's called: 'Plan: We Have An Orbital Battlestation, and It's Pointed Downward'."