1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I think it was Heinlein who said (via Lazarus Long) 'There's no such thing as rights, only opportunities'. If you look at the bones of it, you've got agreements that seem to have worked, a bit, historically. And, arguably, 'primate politics', which defines what is 'fair', and hence reasonable. Then throw in Dunbar's number, which tells you the standard size of a tribe, and that's the limit on the size of unit a lot of people think in. Beyond that, 'city', 'country', they're abstracts, 'acts of faith', things people believe in. Sometimes helpfully defined by geography. And, social inertia.

So, get out your wooden spear, with the fire-hardened sharp bit, and shake it at the people who worship demons, and eat babies, who live on the other side of the river. :)

(I found that the lack of content in the Wikipedia article on moral universe (which by some definitions is who/what morality applies to) interesting...)

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

But... He's not doing it competently... He's being super hamfisted about it...

gustyeagle and Hammerfury like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We don't exactly have a full description of how the GLC usually operates in this types of scenarios, so for all we know the SI may be acting in a hamfisted way, or he may be acting in a perfectly sensible manner given the situation.

4. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Please let us actually see this and not just have it be off screen.

Did the SI/OLC kill the God(s) involved or just all of the eyeball constructs? Or both?

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Most likely killed it, or at least destroyed its physical form so it can't affect the universe now.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

"Unnamed God of Tillettit, you belong to Agent Orange."

Either the SI wouldn't assimilate the godling because he wouldn't want it as a construct lantern or he would assimilate it as a warning to show the consequences of even so called gods crossing the Orange Lantern Corps/ NEMO.

EDIT: Also the godling may have all of the eyes that where sacrificed to if. If it didn't eat them, but it seems to have an eye fetish if it's chosen sacrifice and physical forms have any indication.

7. CandyAddict

CandyAddict Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Is there an image of renegade Paul somewhere?

DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

Just with shorter, black hair.

9. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Sinestro was kicked out of the green lantern corps for doing that.

Jaron, Hammerfury and Darko like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

And with armour that covers his abs.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The fan girls and fan boys must hate that.

Or love it as they know he cares about his personal safety.

12. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

If he flashed his abs all the time then the photo calendars wouldn't sell as well.

zerofarad, DAT_NOOB, Darko and 3 others like this.
  13. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

A) Most of the Corp still has a great deal of respect for him...

B) Kicking Sinestro out of the Corp involved another revolution

*looks at last post* I meant to bold the bit about Jordan in the quote too... lemme fix that...

14. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Mr. Zoat, there’s another ‘Odaate’ in the first snippet of ‘Falling Action’.

15. DAT_NOOB

Irrelevant simply because you have the respect fo members of an organisation or group doesn't mean you haven't been or won't be removed from said group.

The revolution was not supported or endorsed by the GLC or the guardians the GLC were fighting Sinestro for using his status as a green lantern to get overly involved in politics.
    In short, the GLC fought Sinestro for using his power ring in politics at all not because his rule was oppressive or unjust.

nick012000, Darko and Jaron like this.
  16. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Now you're just moving the goalposts.

Your original statement:
    Sinestro, as a green lantern, used his powers to overthrow Korugar's prior governments. Hal Jordan, as a green lantern, used his powers to support Katma Tui's rebellion and overthrow Sinestro.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  17. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

also, wasn’t the watchtower demilitarised/disarmed?

18. DAT_NOOB

Sinestro lost his ring because he overthrew Korugar's prior government. Hal Jordan as a green lantern arrested Sintestro for overthrowing Korugar's prior government Katma Tui's rebellion, being the incident that informed him of this violation, just so happened to be going on at the same time.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There is something to be said for moderation, yes.

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Technically, he just provided public support to the group who took power. That was how he got away with it for so long.

21. Idkusername

You’re welcome.

You mean Siestro, right? It’s a little unclear.

Also, I did all of this post from my phone! Ha! Take that, newbs!

Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

5th April
    16:56 GMT -5

I smile, because why wouldn't I?

"King Orin. Kaldur'ahm." Kaldur's face is neutral, while Orin looks mildly annoyed. "Do you want to do this here? I don't really have an office in my official capacity."

Orin gives me a curt nod. "We may as well."

We watch each other for a moment.

After I feel that it's dragging on, I raise my eyebrows and shrug.

"As King of Atlantis, I formally request that you rescind your offer of a defensive pact with the City of Venturia."

"As Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, I refuse. The Orange Lantern Corps and its allies will stand by its commitment to the City-State of Venturia."

"You have the authority to do that?"

"My powers aren't precisely defined yet. But naturally, I talked the issue through with Clarissi Vril Dox, who can deploy both Orange Lanterns and LEGION fleet resources on his own authority, and he agreed to it. The only higher authority would be the full NEMO council, and between us Dox and I have three out of seven votes. If you want to try and get us overruled then you'll need to convince three Controllers and the head of the Darkstars that this offer is contrary to NEMO's broader interests, and frankly I don't think they'll care enough."

He nods. He didn't think that was a workable avenue, but he had to ask.

"Why are you doing this?"

"The Orange Lantern Corps needs magicians, and a single city-state that depends on us for its protection is a lot easier to deal with than anywhere else on Earth we could get them from."

He doesn't start exactly, but that clearly surprised him.

"That's it?"

"No, no, there are a lot of other factors that made them a good choice and now a good time. But if we didn't need their expertise Dox wouldn't have agreed to use LEGION resources, and if the Atlantean political side was different then they wouldn't have wanted what we're offering."

"You're intervening in an internal Atlantean political dispute. If you actually send troops into the ocean it's an act of war."

"Is Atlantis renewing its claim to the entirety of Earth's oceans?"

Which was actually a thing. Not for a few generations now, though some slogans referencing it occasionally make the rounds even today.

"Our part of the ocean."

"Venturia considers itself to be an independent political entity, something which it has de facto been for several decades. Have you been informed of the referendum they intend to hold on the subject?"

"The Queen hasn't authorised it, and wouldn't have the authority to even if she wanted to."

"I.. haven't actually met King Cyprian's wife, but since he has full regnant authority I'm not clear why her feelings matter?"

"Queen Ptra, the rightful ruler of Venturia."

"Venturian rulership isn't strictly hereditary, and there might be a slight problem with expecting a city to accept the rule of a woman who hasn't ever visited, let alone lived there."

I look him pointedly in the eyes when I say that. We both know perfectly well what Queen Cora was trying to do when she left him to be raised by his father, but he moved to Poseidonis when he was eighteen and not sixty. And he still struggled to be accepted. Still does in some places. Ptra is not only older but a total outsider trying to get the top job. Orin was tutored by his mother for years before her death.

"If Cyprian wanted to dispute the approved succession arrangements, then he should have brought it to me for adjudication."

"The approved succession arrangement, in accordance with Venturian law and tradition and in keeping with their treaties with Poseidonis, is that the monarch nominates their successor. The fact that the Poseidonis government for some reason decided to ignore the notification or treat it like something that required its approval is irrelevant. If you were unaware of this, then I can only suggest that you fire your legal counsel. There is no dispute in law; the law is very clear. Also -not entirely relevant to me, but worth mentioning- last time they went to the ruler of Atlantis for adjudication your grandmother stole Queen Clea's daughter. They have no confidence in you or your position."

"Even if I accept that, Cyprian still doesn't have the authority to secede from Atlantis."

"Does it matter?"

"Of course it matters."

"Why?"

"Why does the law matter?"

"Yes. From where does the law derive its authority? If it's royal authority, Cyprian wants to secede. If it's the consent of the governed, they're having a referendum. If it's military force…"

"If it's military force then I've got until your fleet arrives to pacify Venturia."

"Our treaty went live the moment he signed it. If the fleet arrives and finds Venturia occupied, they'll still attack. In the interim, I and any other Orange Lanterns who can get here will undertake the defence of Venturia, should it become necessary. My recommendation is that you send official observers to the referendum and then focus your efforts on building a working relationship with the newly independent Venturia."

"Sending observers would demonstrate that I considered that referendum valid."

"A free and fair referendum is an expression of the will of the people, whether it has the force of law or not."

"People who've only heard Queen Clea's propaganda for the last fifty years."

"So you'd accept it if you were able to run a 'remain' campaign?"

"I wouldn't-."

"Hawkman to Mount Justice." A holographic screen appears with Mr Hol's face on it. "And.. Orange Lantern. I commend you for your efficiency. We weren't expecting your fleet for some time."

King Orin stares. "They're here-?"

I frown. "I wasn't expecting them for.. months."

Mr Hol presses a button, and a second smaller screen appears. A representation of the solar system and a marker approaching the inner planets.

"It seems that your Corps has prioritised you."

"Ring?"

"Fleet is broadcasting LEGION codes. An Orange Lantern is also present."

"Oh. Okay." I frown. Can't think who-. Did Lantern Xor finish.. really quickly? I don't think that Dox would have given him new orders… "Show me the ships?"

A construct appears, an.. odd conglomeration of spheres linked by tubes. The size suggests a generation ship or space borne habitat. It clearly doesn't look like a conventional ship. I don't recognise-.

**Greetings, Earthlings and future customers!**

Mr Hol's grimace suggests that he heard that. I glance at Orin and Kaldur and from their responses they heard that too.

**I am Lord-Lantern Manga Khan, and I am proud to announce that your system has been chosen as the new site of ClusterCorp's ongoing megasale! You will shop! You will consume! We will be enriched! Or else! ClusterCorp: for all your needs, forever!**

Slowly, the attention of the others turns towards me.

"Don't look at me. I didn't give him a power ring."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  23. Mr Zoat

No, Sinestro.
    I suspected, but didn't want to assume.

24. Idkusername

went live

25. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

On one hand I want to learn more about whatever this madness is that just entered their system.

On the other I was getting really invested in their political talk.

batrax, sagemo, pa$$word and 58 others like this.
  26. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

the fuck Dox, where are you finding these nutso

i though Paul was suppose to be the one finding weirdo into the Corp

27. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I...don't know what to say to this person.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it should be 'went live' rather than 'when live'

Either this is another person that got one of the rings from Larfleezes when OL summoned his back, and is using stolen LEGION codes, or OL really needs to start working on his Illustres duties and actually having more of a say in what the Corps does.

29. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

Something tells me I'm going to love this character.

30. Idkusername

Next thing we know, someone’s given Hentai Muhammad a power ring.