1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Derrandoo

Derrandoo Not too sore, are you?

Well, Coronavirus is old news but we're still finding new things out. The Blood/Respiratory theory seems a bit broad but is interesting. The fact that asthma and smoking weren't huge comorbidities was kinda weird for a respiratory virus.

Otherwise there's pretty much no attempt at stopping Corona, endemic Corona sounds concerning but I guess that's for the future.

Hilariously it also totally bodied every American politician and their managed decline of the American state.

50% unemployment under 45, rent is due for the past 3 months or you're getting evicted, 1200$ means tested check that many people never received. Sounds like a great plan going into a pleasant summer, after all its not like unemployed hungry homeless people will be going outside or doing things?

2. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

How is it old news it isn't over were I live we just confirmed thousand new cases. Hell I'm hearing talk of a second wave.

3. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I mean maybe it's old news in civilized places like New Zealand, but over here it's still kinda relevant.

[​IMG]

Regarding the asthma contra-comorbidity I have a weird anecdote (which isn't data) but might fit...

Now that random people have started buying pulse oxidometers, I've seen two people who experienced childhood respiratory conditions (one asthma, one not) and both reported above-average baseline blood oxygen levels, around baseline 98% (with 1% variance, so 99% - 97% observed).

Two datapoints is an anecdote and not data, but it'd be cool if the widespread self-testing produced some useful insights.

[​IMG]

4. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

... could we please avoid the Rule 8 tangents?

As for how things are going, please have a map and the information and criteria used to make it.

It's regularly updated.

5. evildice

Looks like NYC numbers are down -- no longer the worst place in the world, woo fuckin' hoo -- and the governor plans to re-open the city next week.

Of course, until next week there's a curfew from 8 PM to 5 AM, but everything fun would have been closed anyway so meh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

Is it that corrupt governor who took bribes from hospitals? Exculpating the managers from liability in case of patient deaths, especially in nursing homes?
    I mean, I sure hope NY will not get depopulated next week, so good luck!

...On the other hand, empty streets filled with rotting bodies and burned buildings would make a great movie set, for the movie industry. The economy might recover if those movies sell...

So you see the problem.

7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

*Looks at Detroit*

... Uh, I wouldn't bet money on that plan...

8. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Wonder how many filmed in Detroit.

me-meboi and TanaNari like this.
  9. Aleh

... could you please stop the Rule 8 bait?

Dakkaface and me-meboi like this.
  10. OverReactionGuy

Now I'm confused. Are you talking about the new york thing or my question about movies filmed in Detroit.

me-meboi likes this.
  11. Aleh

Memes referencing the rioting and the policing thereof, discussion of political corruption...

12. OverReactionGuy

So it was the new york thing and not me.

me-meboi likes this.
  13. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

While the corruption claims are toeing the line, the memes that reference the existence of the riots and policing are not Rule 8 material. These are things that are demonstrably happening right now.

14. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

While I was making light of the situation, that corrupt governor did force nursing homes to accept COVID positive people into nursing homes in NY, thus resulting into mass deaths among the elderly.
    Pretty sure laws and facts are available for review in USA.

Even I, in my dark corner of the planet heard about it.

me-meboi, lunardraco and TanaNari like this.
  15. Aleh

Let me again repeat that this is Rule 8-baiting at best: I literally cannot comment on or meaningfully reply to this without violating Rule 8.

... and you're likely getting a somewhat incomplete impression from my responses to this stuff here. It's worth noting that for all I'm jumping on people for Rule 8 baiting and the like, I actually think (and thought originally) that Rule 8 is a bad idea, or at least poorly-formulated. I commented on this in the original Rule 8 thread, but... well, you can see if you want.

Still, we have the rule, and a lot of this stuff does tie into Rule 8 material. I've been following the situation closely for a number of reasons (hint: I've already lost people) and am regularly tempted to rant for hours on aspects of the matter... which is a regular source of frustration for me. On the other hand, Rule 8 means that I'm not allowed to say much of what I really need to... and I do not like being tempted further. It simply leaves me even more annoyed and frustrated at a time when I really, really do not need more stress in my life.

So, yeah, I understand the temptation to get into the political aspects of the situation or to get a dig in here or there. This just isn't the forum for that (anymore).

16. zup

zup Experienced.

They searched for and found Covid-19 in waste water, a lot in the Helsinki region, which is the worst afflicted in Finland, and some in Turku, but curiously not in other big cities. Big Brother is watching my shit for Corona. :p

Some kind of attempt to estimate how much the total spread of the virus is because even the untested infected contribute to the viral load.

17. Derrandoo

Corona does hit the GI tract and actually sheds a lot by feces, its just as a respiratory thing its far more communicable. Some people are totally getting it from improper sanitation though, would really suck to find that out through contact tracing.

It has predictive value something like a week in advance. There's a chart going around, its good stuff.

https://www.wired.com/story/one-way-to-potentially-track-covid-19-sewage-surveillance/

The sewage public heath stuff is interesting because they can model things like drug use (illegal/legal) and diets in large populations using prevalence of certain things. Corona is just a recent extension of it.

First time I sewage modeling used was cocaine in London something like a decade ago? Turns out they really like their blow.

18. evildice

This phrase in 2/2 posts looks like an overtly political dog-whistle.

Big Brother is
    Watching Poo

Gotta say this is a very neat way to find non-symptomatic carriers, which may be a leading indicator that the area will need medical resources allocated.

19. Derrandoo

evildice likes this.
  20. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

• Rule 8 - No Politics
    I don't live on the same continent with that scumbag, so I couldn't care less about his politics.

I just watched the news, corroborated with facts by that reporter, including proof of million dollar bribes and consequences going to half a million COVID infected in NY and lots of deaths among the elder in nursing homes, due to hospitals sending sick people right back among the non-infected in those nursing homes, while legally exculpated from liability.

But hey, if you do live in NY, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Maybe find some size 42 Nike shoes for me while at it?

me-meboi, TanaNari and lunardraco like this.
  21. TotalAbsolutism

Yeah, I did say you were borderline and this is pushing it well past that.

22. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

Pretty sure the tag for this forum thread say 'news' and 'covid'

Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
    me-meboi, eager slacker and TanaNari like this.
  23. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I wish you good luck in your endeavours.

me-meboi and Pef like this.
  24. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

Well, I find this quite amusing.

Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
    me-meboi, eager slacker and TanaNari like this.
  25. Aleh

Yes... but politics are not allowed. That includes the political aspects of the situation.

It's a clear line. I, as noted above, think it's a stupid line, but it's still the line this forum draws.

26. Derrandoo

Sweden's chief epidemiologist has finally reached reality.
    Turns out seeking herd immunity without a vaccine or a plan is a terrible idea.

Literally anything but their current plan, good to know!

27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No, no, one could have a plan that *mandated* that Covid-positive people are to cough into at least three peoples' faces per day.

daimahou, me-meboi and evildice like this.
  28. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

It's kinda difficult to write about the world governments' reactions to a pandemy without touching on politics because, well, those are political actions motivated by political causes.

Otherwise we are restricted to discussing developments on the virus itself (which are most often mutually contradictory and misleading on how often the thing mutates or not), the scientific advances on dealing with it (which take months and, again, are defined by the politics financing them), and sheer cyphers, which need a sociopolitical context to be debated properly.

me-meboi and TanaNari like this.
  29. TotalAbsolutism

Well, do your best; because Rule 8 remains in effect and is not being lifted for this. If you really want to debate it that badly pop over to SB or SV. Speaking of...

Pef; You were warned. Threadban, three days.

30. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

That's why I hadn't been posting in this thread for a while now, as a matter of fact.

There's kind of no point if it's done this way, actually.