1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I see a lot of people speculating that Boss Smiley might be behind this. But he's not real. Or rather, we're as conclusive as can be that he was an illusion meant to brainwash Paul with targeted arguments as we can be without further proof.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

If he exists and is behind it, he'd be acting through someone who thought it was their idea. Such a situation is in practical terms identical to it actually being their idea.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure Zoat said that he's real.

You can even check the TV Tropes pages where it says that he's a member of the Light.

He may have also shown up during that religious interview OL did as the guy wearing a smiley face on his clothes.

Also that angel confirmed he exists when Paul asked him.

4. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

There's cover...

There's deep cover...

There's cover so deep that even people who've got solid evidence you exist don't believe it...

Then, there's Boss Smiley. :)

5. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

And from that day forward, Lantern Khan became known as Lantern Karen.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey remember this guy didn't just lose his ship, he also lost his slaves...I mean workers...yeah workers, that's what I meant.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

requires

L-Ron has them.

Oh.

Re: "STELLA" -- I mean, I got it. And I'm reasonably certain Zoat got it too, and he was trolling.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be able to make his own, or Paul can make it for him.

That may not have been because of his lack of meds, but because he was intentionally obfuscating something.

Navi-Hank and Xmaster3000 like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Honestly? No. I don't know the story of 'A Streetcar Named Desire.' Is it a racing film?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's a drama film.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Idkusername

Word of Zoat

Ardy likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

I'm pretty sure that only I or another person called Zoat can do that?

13. Idkusername

Ooh. I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote this:

...wait. PDV asked why we called the latest Paul Tangseid instead of Evaul, but he seems to have deleted his post. Or my memory is fuzzy and I can't find it.

Plus, 'A Streetcar Named Desire' was originally a play.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Reach has the technology to hide even from power rings.

That was a plot point in Blue Beetle, they had an entire fleet around Earth and only Jaime could notice it.

Which makes me wonder if the ships were less taken via teleportation, and more just disappeared by some high tech sleight of hand.

Vorian, Ardy, Vaermina and 1 other person like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Considering that hostilities between NEMO and the Reach may have already started it is possible for them to try to attack the Illustres, but I don't think that's the case here.

It is possible that it's an alien considering the name of the episode though

Ardy likes this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is paragon Paul still getting visions from his alternate counterparts after the battle with Krona?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Again, you might want to go re-read the last couple times he visited there.

Depends on the setting, most were more advanced then the Guardians.

Contrary to what Paul would like to believe the Guardians aren't that advanced, heck, Power Ring and Emotional Light technology isn't even their creation, it's something they copied from a dimension traveler.

Again, Motherbox's are all the same.

That "scientist" uses his Mobius Chair for all the actual sciency stuff.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I did and nothing has changed my opinion that they have more advanced tech than he has, because he's wearing a Maltusian piece of advanced tech. Their tech is advanced, but not Maltusian level advanced.

In this setting they are more advanced than the Kryptonians. The only ones that may be as advanced as they are are the New Gods.

That was the canon for the n52 version of the Guardians.

Zoat doesn't like the n52 all that much and will most likely not include that factor into the Maltusians of Earth 16.

He may include it in some version of the Guardians if they travel to a parallel universe where they got their ring designs from Volthoom, but the Maltusians made the rings themselves in Earth 16.

No they're not, as some may be more knowledgeable than others. Like the renegades, whose boxes used to belong to two scientists so they had more data in them, such as the things those scientists have invented and they were probably made to help those scientists in their work.

The renegade had both his Boxes help him with that Unity Bacteria he is making, or whatever it's called, so they are likely more geared toward scientific tasks.

Metron was one of the two inventors of the Boxes. The other was a guy named Himon.

He's basically a rebel leader on Apokalips whose daughter, Bekka, married Orion.

After the renegade destroyed his FatherBox for giving info to Darkseid, he asked Scott to get him in touch with Himon, who made him a MotherBox in exchange for some materials he renegade could provide him with.

Himon probably uses MotherBoxes for his experiments due to their extreme usefulness.

Why did you put quote marks when you called Metron a scientist?

He is a fucking God of Knowledge, participated in the creation of the Boxes and who knows how many other advanced pieces of technology.

Just because he uses his chair for assistance that doesn't mean he isn't a scientist. It would be like saying that if someone had the help of a computer in their scientific experiments then that means they are not really a scientist.

BoML, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

That was just the one day. Ask him next year.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So he can only get visions around April 1st?

21. Mr Zoat

Of the two occasions it's happened so far, both were on the 1st of April.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it should be 'headache' instead of 'head ache'

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Huh. Corrected my version and the Story Only version but not the main thread version. Also didn't threadmatk the next episode in Story Only. Thank you, corrected.

24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know, since this arc is called The Plutonian, I looked up Pluto on the DC wiki.

Turns out there are two species locked in eternal war there.

More importantly, I found this one line that precisely sums up how all of DC works:

"Not long after the end of the Second World War, the Roman God Pluto traveled from his home on planet Pluto, to kidnap a co-ed student from Holliday College."

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm guessing that was from a Wonder Woman comic?

Darko likes this.
  26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Considering the methods used in the Renegade side to magically teleport the kryptonian warship out of the ground on earth, we can assume that it would take a fair bit of both knowledge and power to produce similar results with the 'russian wessels' and the bargain barge up there. There are only so many folks in that weight class in DC.

Higher end Gods, I would assume, wouldn't care about covering their tracks, neither would the Heavenly Host, both tend to see themselves as the highest authorities and have power enough to not feel very threatened by generic superheros or interplanetary parties.

Next step down is lower tier magical beings, and upper tier wizard types. Lords of Order and Chaos could likely do it, as could some lower tier gods. Circe comes to mind for having both skill and power, but as shown from the renegade side even she would need a support network to pull that off. The Light could swing it with their support network, but there doesn't seem to be much of an angle, unless they're trying to trigger a xenophobia reaction from russia in a round about manner. The Queen of Fables is up in there in both power and skill, but was last seen still stuck in tartarus.

Phasing was ruled out by the scan, so that likely means it isn't the martians doing it conventionally hiding things, telepathic hiding it from everyone earth including ring users is Highly unlikely. The Martian Hyperclan wizard types could have worked something out, stealing warships from puny humans could give them something to use against the martian government, and a shapeshifter could easily gotten onboard.

The only other 'faction' we've encountered that comes to mind that could pull it off would be Darkseid's forces via Massive hush tubes....actually.

The Starro's that learned chaos magic got away. Could be they wanted a lift to go wake up the really BIG ones.

The demonic Genomorphs could have, but they were generally under Satanish, and he's still locked up last we heard, might have a new boss around.

And as a Distant, why the heck not guess......The Shade, going nuts from his mental house guest, who wasn't removed in the Paragon timeline. He'd have the power to make a fleet vanish in the darkness of space I'm sure.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

All highly plausible.

Wait, when did Starro learn chaos magic?

28. Someguy Somewhere

IIRC, the 'red' starro's during their appearance at the lab in gotham. Since Starrotech mind control was a group effort from the Light, the 'evolved' starro generated from the mind control patches had some inherently part of themselves thanks to the chaos magic the witch boy used in the original creation.

When the Team encountered the starro's trying to escape from the lab, there were a few different types of larger ones, the red ones seemed to chuck magical energy rather then the usual TK and telepathic attacks. The rest of the starro seemed to put a priority on the new models escaping back then. They weren't sure they got them all, and since they're magical and telepathic, simple scry wards are not beyond them. The Team later had a manual look in a river for them, but turns out it was unrelated mind control stuff (ultrasonic from some D-lister with a bad speaker system iirc)

29. Someguy Somewhere

Relevant quote from back then, though not really that chaos-ish:

Xmaster3000 and Darko like this.
  30. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    17:15 GMT +7

He-llo…

My eyes widen slightly as I look at a member of the ground crew. A thought and his employee file appears in my mind. Corporal Mikhail Kuznetsov, air force man from when he left high school until he moved to the Director's command. Certain… 'Unreconstructed' Russian military units don't keep useful records for… Various frustrating reasons, but all the ones I'd consider reliable paint a glowing picture. Which is why the Director moved him to this project; no one here isn't highly motivated and skilled.

Batman noticed the slight change in my posture.

"Orange Lantern?"

"Corporal Kuznetsov. Some of his… Recent memories don't have the emotional depth that they should."

"You believe they've been edited?"

"Can't say for sure. Could even be stress, but… Since we're a bit desperate..."

"Is he dangerous?"

"I don't think so. His deeper memories appear unaffected, which should mean that they haven't tried rewriting his priorities… But I couldn't swear to it."

Batman raises his right hand to his cowl, activating his communicator. "Director, please bring Corporal Kuznetsov in for questioning. We believe that he may have been under the influence of something. "

There's a momentary delay, then I see a couple of military policemen move forward to apprehend him. Fortunately, he goes with them without complaint. Everyone at the launch site is going through a detailed interrogation, and Russia doesn't have any of those frustrating laws against telepathic or arcane compulsion when it comes to gathering evidence. They also don't have enough telepaths or magicians to make much use of it. Pravda's already here and Firebird's being flown in… Heh, it's taking her longer to get here from Moscow than it took me to get here.

Interesting that the Director had a zeta tube set up here just in case. I can't see an American general doing that, no matter how much sense it would make. But if you really need the Justice League, you don't want to have to hang about.

A project like this has thousands of people working on the site, and tens of thousands more in the supply chain. The President might have unusual levels of personal authority but someone has to have oversight on things like this, which means that a number of politicians are at least somewhat in the know…

And they're all going to have to speak to the Director's people. They're got two security cleared telepaths. They'll probably accept Mr J'onzz and… Maybe M'gann, but the League's not exactly blessed with a plethora of security-vetted telepaths either.

And I don't think that Ted's Thinker's Cap is… Quite ready for this. Even if the Director could probably secure volunteers prepared to put up with the implants, and the headaches and occasional auditory and visual hallucinations that the current version causes.

"I'm going to check his barracks. I'll let you know if I find anything."

Batman nods very faintly, his eyes fixed on the records of this site's working life as I

step out

and reappear in the enlisted barracks. They're… Well, I've seen worse. The benefit of working on a highly classified project out in the middle of nowhere is that they make an effort to keep the workforce happy. The downside being that if you don't like it then you're rather out of luck.

I scan in detail, orange light strobing off his bunk, wardrobe and trunk. Not… A… Lot… I take out a rune stone and carefully-.

A member of the military police -brought in from another facility entirely, though still thoroughly vetted- sticks his head around the door.

"Orange Lantern? Is there anything you need?"

"Nothing that isn't already being worked on, thank you."

His emotions are… Well, he's a little anxious. Annoyed, too. The Director likes to employ people with strong patriotic inclinations, and this mess has turned what should have been a day of nationalistic triumph into a potential tragedy. I don't feel it quite so personally, but…

Oh. That's… Odd.

There's a slight… Change in the structure of the wall. It's not a lot; unusual patterns of ionisation and stress in the brickwork. But that's not something that should occur naturally unless they were using radioactive paint or something.

Certain types of energy weapon could do it-.

And certain types of phasing.

Check the project history. No, no work was done here that might cause something like that. The patch is too small for a humanoid. A drone, perhaps? I'm only seeing the one patch, but that might just mean that whatever it was came through the same place each time.

"Orange Lantern to Batman. I believe that something phased into Corporal Kuznetsov's quarters. Not sure if it was by magic or technology; I suggest sending Doctor Mist when he's next available."

"Understood."

Hmm.

I look at the building from the outside and try to detect anything similar, but… No, nothing. In by air? They've got pretty good detection systems here, but nothing is infallible. Basic wards again… They really need to hire an Atlantean to do the job. Heh, or at least a Londoner. All they're doing is giving themselves a false sense of security.

I need to raise the idea of a worldwide magic detection network again. Perhaps a little more forcefully.

Would whoever did this rely on one person? Ordinarily, I'd say that was a bad idea. At least, if it was something that absolutely had to work. But… If one infiltrator was discovered, the result would be a shutdown while they examined the site with a fine toothed comb. Any others would have to flee or simply accept being discovered. So it would only be worth using more than one if it made the one attempt more likely to succeed-.

"Batman to the Justice League. Hawkman has been attacked at the supply depot and-"

I look south east, focus my empathic vision on the pattern I recognise as being Mr Hol and

step out

, appearing a short distance from him with construct armour appearing around me!

He stares at me for a moment as I note the unconscious warehouse staff and Lantern Koriand'r floating in the air with her ring glowing.

"-alert for other mentally influenced individuals."

Right. Batman wouldn't make an announcement if the attack was ongoing.

But since I'm here

I look into the souls of the unconscious men, and… Again, it could be the concussion, but I'm definitely seeing odd emotional attachment in their recent memories. No, not just recent. This goes deeper, and… Guard dogs. Someone set them to attack under certain circumstances.

"Orange Lantern, please attend the warehouse and investigate for possible mental alterations or the use of phasing technology."

"Already here, sir. I confirm the mental alterations, stronger than what the Corporal has. I'll check for phasing now."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020