1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'wouldn't swear' , but I'm not sure, it sounds fine.

2. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Remove "them".
    I'm surprised he finds that noteworthy, given that he can travel at FTL speeds.

Ardy, SaltyWaffles, CTrees and 6 others like this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Radioactive paint... Like the military likes to use for their gun sights and emergency lighting? :p

ChestBurster and Gantradies like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Not surprising. More... Intellectually amusing.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Phasing, mind alteration via drone and some form of undetectable FTL. Why would someone with resources like that go to the trouble of making a comparatively prmitve fleet and the Cluster ship disappear?

And if they went to the lengths of concealing it, why the glaringly obvious kidnapping of the ships?

Also, guard dogs? Whoever did this must have exoected the League. Sending baseline humans to fight them is a short distraction at most.

This is all an odd mix of high tech and low planning.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Classic Black operations personnel. Always double check, there's bound to be something of note.

Oh, that's a worry. Mental manipulation of some kind, certainly?

Better to check and be wrong, than not check and be in trouble later.

Let's hope he comes quietly. Let's also hope whatever happened left some signs.

All going well, then. I presume Firebird is on a military flight, rather than under her own power? Not every telekinetic can make themselves fly, after all.

In a place like this, every second of delay could mean bad shit happening sooner. Especially if there's something extra-worrisome hidden deep down somewhere. A viral outbreak, or some dormant war machine...

Lots and lots of fingers in the pie. I'm amazed it was kept hidden as well as it was for so long.

The League really needs to go on a recruitment drive. Something more like Unlimited would be a good idea. Not every person has to be a full-time, 'shifts on the Watchtower' member, but easy enough to have reservists with Zeta Tube access for quick response.

With those drawbacks, I don't think it's quite ready for primetime...

Let's hope they didn't do too much scry-warding there.

At least it makes it easier to ensure everyone stays put. It's a long walk to anywhere.

Good wishes? Not sure what they have that can compete with a power ring or a trained mage.

People are still missing. That's always a concern. And it sets back the cause of Human space exploration.

Not something to be dismissed out of hand, mind. Though I suspect the amount of Rads needed would be noticeable amongst the workers...

So someone's snuck in, put something into the Corporal's mind and snuck back out? The perfect sleeper agent.

Could be a while, given everything else he's doing. Note for Batman: More Mages!

And whoever came in here walked through all of it like it wasn't there. That's significant in itself.

Or they could be remotely triggered and dismissed. If they're committing sabotage anyway, why not have figurative bombs waiting to go off?

He's already dealt with the guy, hasn't he? I suspect there would be more concern in Batman's voice otherwise.

Right. No problems here, then. I take it Kory was already here, or had the same idea OL did.

:rolleyes: Well, duh. Unless it was something that needed powered backup. and that would be a lot more noticeable.

Messing with the dogs? That's nasty!

And then mention the dogs, please? I suspect that would be worth mentioning.

Ah, the fine art of the forensic procedural. CSI: JLA edition. Now they have a lead. Time to sniff it back to its' source...

Is that an actual Russian spelling, or should it be 'Mikhail'?
    Double space here.
    Unnecessary word.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Supervillains aren't exactly renowned for their logical thinking.

Cuchulin, Lupercal and Vorian like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind, we don't have any evidence these things are actually connected to the various ships disappearances.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

High chance that they are.

Though I guess its possible that this may not be connected to the ships vanishing, unlikely but possible.

10. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

A drone? That’s possible, but there are a lot of other possibilities: a naturally small race, a shapeshifter that can shrink, a small golem or homunculus created by a magician...
    I am reminded of that Gotham-based spellcaster who Paragon-Paul brutally trounced a while back. The vampire-like caster’s minion was sacrificing citizens and Paul invited the new Doctor Fate to raid his magical knickknacks. Perhaps there was a loose end.

11. Mr Zoat

No, he's referring to the mentally altered humans as 'guard dogs'.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Out of universe, yes there's a high chance they are because the narrative wouldn't be covering them otherwise.

In universe, he's throwing a giant net that is picking up anything weird. It would be unrealistic if he didn't get at least one or two false positives.

13. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

It is a secret military base run in a reasonably competent fashion. While it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for there to be multiple groups attacking it, it's not particularly likely given that the technology demonstrated (or the wizards to cast the spells) doesn't grow on trees. For there to be multiple attackers would require a very small set of people (people with these capabilities) to contain more than one group interested in this one Russian military base.

Again, not impossible, and it is a good point that it could be multiple groups, but not likely.

Istaran, Ardy and Darko like this.
  14. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Looking at this situation the whole thing smells like magic. Or, super-powers plus magic.

If you want to get rid of ClusterCorps, send them 'elsewhere', then, a load of smaller ships that surround it, carefully positioned to act as a 3d pentagram, could be a way to do the job without a massive amount of magical power. Ritual magic via spaceship. Then, maybe intentional, maybe an accident of disappearing something that big, the little ships go as well.

Where do you send them? I hear Hell is accepting bookings...

You want to really surprise everyone? Send them to The Dreaming...

No, I don't think this is what happened. I expect Mr Zoat to surprise me, as he's done so many times before in this story.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Vorian, Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  15. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Sheeda? Small size, phasing, mind control... Maybe with the guiding hand of Zachary Zor, this time? Zor would probably be powerful enough to delete (or timeshift) the space fleet, and would have the future perspective to know what ripples that change to his past would cause.

16. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Magic, phasing, and advanced mind control... Have we found the last surviving Starro? The one upgraded by Klarion to interface with magic and technology?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't think the Starros have phasing abilities.

There actually is a race of Plutonians in DC comics, so I don't know maybe their trying to invade the Earth of something like that and this was just a first strike.

CTrees likes this.
  18. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ah, sorry, I meant that I was certain you knew it wasn't a correction, and your response was a joke. I'm totally unfamiliar with A Streetcar Named Desire myself, but I recognize a heartfelt cry of "STELLA!" as a (very dated) pop-culture reference and would probably have guessed it to be an unfamiliar reference in context even if I didn't.

Comma after "Orange Lantern".

Vorian, Mr Zoat and Darko like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hopefully not them since now they would have space ships with them.

Think that the renegade mentioned they may not have spaceships and none of the civilizations they raided had that type of tech.

If they're the ones behind this then now they may be able to raid other planets.

21. Mr Zoat

If you'd said KHAN I'd have got it.

I think one of the GCSE classes in my Secondary School did A Streetcar Named Desire. I did Hobson's Choice. Which, ironically, it was.
    Thank you, corrected.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Manga's cry for L-Ron seemed to be more one of despair, kinda like in the Street Car movie, rather than Kirk's more rage fueled cry.

23. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well Darkseid and his gang are a bunch of dicks so they may have a hand in this.

An opposing nation with the right Schizo tech trying to sabotage the Russians and gain a monopoly on the alien tech.

some other group of well equipped supervillains working outside the light's influence.

A competing interstellar corporation.

Darko likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Okay, but I don't want to drag the tone down by posting Darth Vader's 'NOOOOOO'.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat are we going to see what 40k Paul has been doing after joining the Tau anytime soon?

Hopefully in this episode, or the next few.

We already saw what Fantasy Paul had done to fight Chaos, would really like to see what 40k has done.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'made them' instead of 'created them'

27. Mr Zoat

No, 'created' is what it's called when you give someone a hereditary title. You create X a Y.
    I don't have any current plans to. I don't really have anything for him to say at the moment.

28. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

It is obvious what is going on. It must be a Sheeda riding a Starro. :)

EDIT

As an alternative, a Sheeda and a Starro have found Twu Love, and you have the result of their... relationship. How about a Sheeda with the head of a Starro? :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  29. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

This seems to be similar to what the Sheeda did earlier.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Has anyone scanned for chronoton radiation yet? :V

Vorian likes this.