1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I think he comes frome somewhere else. He probably isn’t Lord Protector, though. ...Is he?

Edit: He is Lord Protector, apparently.

2. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

He finally cracked, huh?

An enlightened Yellow Lantern is a good match-up for an Endbringer, due to the ambient and all-consuming fucking terror of being faced with a beast that defies conventional physics, is composed at least 50% of interdimensional portals, and scoffs at petty nukes. I don't doubt he'll prevail in the end, one way or another, but I'm curious how he'll deliver on that.

On the other hand, if the Simurgh works past Lantern defenses, he's kind of fucked.

On the third hand, if Scion or tinkers get curious with how, respectively, the Emotional Spectrum and ring work, it could spell disaster.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It is Lord Protector, at a later point in his timeline.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So some of the other Paul's are going to have interplanar adventures?

Did he manage to make a Lantern?

Are we going to see Common Sense, Saul and Sybarite in this episode?

5. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I find "A week in the life of" to be very promising.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... Shouldn't Scion be showing up to kill him and steal his Power Ring about now?

Wheenesss, Grimnar and Cuchulin like this.
  7. BlueMangoAdea

Too busy being depressed, I assume.

8. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Scion doesn't even need a power ring, and even if, for some godforsaken reason, he did, I don't much like his chances against someone who can ring up the Fear Entity, which, in theory, an enlightened Lantern can do.

9. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

Something that is always interesting in Worm X whatevers is that the power scale in Worm is all fucked up; due to PLOT.

The powers are sorted into: trivial to most settings; or Totally Golden Age Superman Busted.

So you end up with people who's power is "I'm significantly weaker than a dude with a gun!" to "I can punch, but, like, real hard" all the way to "You better have a nonilion exajoules ready my dude".

DC gets away with it by invoking the spirit of the SPEED FORCE; IE, author fiat, but that is less satisfying than some good old scubwar.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm guessing that either Paul gets transported in the body of someone else, probably an alternate of his, or we view this entire episode through the perspective of someone else, like the Mandated episode.

Scion is still being depressed over the death of Eden so he probably doesn't care about LP being there.

He may not even know that LP is there.

Tattletale apparently passed out when he showed up, so that could mean that his extraplanar nature makes him somewhat difficult for those that have Thinker like powers.

Alexandercctv, Ardy, JoTa34 and 9 others like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh, when I saw the title of the ToC, I assumed it would be D&D related. I never expected you to do a Worm SI. I'm guessing you've done a little research on it, then.

Oh, that's going to flip the table. Not that I expect the other gangs will be lasting long enough to take advantage of it.

Ah, her Shard suffered an 'Unanalysable entity, please refill cheese' error. I'm sure she'll be fine soon, though with the Thinker headache of all Thinker Headaches.

...Okay, he has low opinions of their threat level, I see. That's a blow to their egos.

Given that they only have Oni Lee and Bakuda, neither of which would come close to threatening him? Chances are good for his success.

Pretty much a definite tell. Wonder if he could kill someone's Shard-link by 'correcting' the anomalies. Good way to deal with threats like the Siberian, at least.

Yeah, Brockton Bay is a shithole. Blame Wildbow.

Surprised she didn't go into total submissiveness at a superior threat. But presumably most shards will glitch out at him.

Ah, Power Rings are awesome... Total game-breaker. Wonder what he could do to help Dragon, if he could be bothered?

Honestly, around here? You'd probably be an improvement.

Mover: Yes. Man, the PRT threat ratings are going to get broken over his knee, I bet.

Yeah, about the reaction I'd expect from Taylor 'Escalation' Hebert.

I bet if he looks deeper, a certain trio might find themselves in hot water...

For those wondering, she can offload emotions into her bugs, as if the collected swarms were a spare brain. She also has the ability to perceive through their senses too. And YL here is probably a big, glowing yellow void in them.

Easy enough to do. Her figure is already pretty androgynous, besides the mane of curly brown hair..

She would make a good pest-control service. Just order the bugs to leave. Pity about the 'Conflict Libido' thing: The shards push their users to fight in order to gain data; They also make it feel good to use their powers. Vicious circle much?

Yeah, he was an asshole. That's canon, too.

I'd bet cleaning up Brockton Bay takes him all of a day, depending on pushback.

A good question. And one even the original writer apparently didn't ponder too much on.

So, cleaning out North America in what, a week? Bet Cauldron's going to have kittens when they learn of this and Contessa gets a '5021: Please cheese the mustard' glitch when she goes to PtV him.

Admittedly, it helps to have good examples. Something Earth-Bet is in short supply of.

Part of the whole 'make people not afraid of us' thing they decided on early. Pity they can't be consistent about it.

Given the Yellow Enlightenment, both things can be true anyway. Hero and serial killer. Cruelty in the name of peace. Sinestro would applaud his logic, I think.

Ah, Armsmaster. Flanderised into an asshole by fanon. Not that far off, given what few glimpses into his mind we see.

Especially if their shards glitch out around him. Only the Endbringers and Scion would likely be a major threat, and some exotic powers...

...Wait, this is Yaul? Lord Protector from the Thundercat snippets? So, he cracked the interdimensional barrier. I wonder which other Pauls have managed that... And since the date for tomorrow's is the same day, we likely won't see him against an Endbringer. Maybe Scion comes poking his empty head into things.
    And after that, perhaps we see OL checking on on various projects, judging by the title. Something I noticed people complaining about earlier.

12. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Seriously though, why would an Entity benefit in any way from a Power Ring?

Exotic energy generation? They've already got that.

FTL transportation and communication? Yep.

High powered scanners? Already accounted for.

They don't have any reason to even want the things.

JoTa34, Austin Pharos, Mors and 5 others like this.
  13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Oh... sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the Boston Games. Parahuman villains love, love, love a power vacuum. Parahuman crime isn't a problem you solve by playing Whack-A-Mole, especially not in a city where the corruption is... more than a little rampant.

14. BlueMangoAdea

Power Rings don’t give a fuck about energy conservation. Not that Zion would care, since he’s too busy being depressed.

KenNM, Jaron, Alexandercctv and 6 others like this.
  15. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

W o o o

Imagine having this as your first superhuman encounter lol.

Looking forward to this, I always enjoy a crossover done even slightly well and just from this first chapter qualifies it. I like that he’s got no meta knowledge of Worm so it’ll be fun to see how he’s either blindsided or just out of ignorance solves a bunch of problems haha.

Also yellow fear powers OP when every natural superhuman has an event in their life they fear probably haha.

Ardy, JoTa34, Deadpanwitch and 9 others like this.
  16. Ganurath

I just realized why Tattletale collapsed.

Her shard figured out that Lord Protector's name is Paul by (physically) reading his mind.

17. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

Did you finally read Worm Zoat? What's going on?

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  18. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

At which point you come back and repeat the process until the local authorities can contain the situation without you.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I hate to tell you this, but Paul is in way way way over his head in Worm.

Highly unlikely, Paul is publicly swinging around one of the two things in existence that Scion actually wants.

Scion doesn't need a power ring, however he does not just need, but desperately wants, the ability to draw endless energy from the emotional spectrum.

Also it doesn't matter, played completely straight to Worm canon, there's absolutely nothing even the most wanked out version of Power Ring Paul could do to even mildly inconvenience Scion.

Hell, played completely straight to Worm canon, he wouldn't even be able to stop the Endbringers.

Jaron, Austin Pharos, Grimnar and 3 others like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed. Even the most 'conflict libido'-driven Cape would hopefully catch on after Lord Protector makes a few object lessons in not being assholes in one city. Probably with a "Don't make me come back here again." after the second or third time.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Doccer and 7 others like this.
  21. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Power Rings are actually not a bad powerset for dealing with Zion. Emotional attacks are basically his weakness. Yellow and Indigo would probably be the best for dealing with him, too.

22. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Hm hm.

Scion doesn't have clairvoyance, buddy. For all he knows, Paul is pooping out yellow visible light instead of rainbows.

And I though you were the one who liked to wank DC in this fic, even compared to canon.

23. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Power Rings don't have capabilities* that an Entity would particularly want.

What they'd want a Ring for efficiency. Power Rings are ridiculously space efficient for what they do compared to how an Entity would pull it off. In all honestly, if they could crack that, an Entity would probably be able to maintain its full capabilities even if it shrunk down to a size comparable to what Scion is when he settles in for a Cycle.

It's the sort of thing that would massively expand their operational ability.

A Power Battery would basically be their holy grail.

*Barring Silver Age Silliness, of course.

ChestBurster, Jaron, JoTa34 and 10 others like this.
  24. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

As I remember, there was a storyline were they explained that the emotional light spectrum wasn't limitless and even though it was vast, it could be depleted (at least in thr DC universe). It was a storyline were a survivor of a previous universe, one where they used light spectrum technology and used up all the emotional light energy, tries to acquire all Emotion avatars and pierce the Source Wall.

I don't know if Wormverse would be under the same rules or not.

ChestBurster, Ardy, JoTa34 and 2 others like this.
  25. BlueMangoAdea

Sure, infinite energy would be something attractive for entities in general, but Zion isn’t really interested in maintaining the cycle. He would be interested if he learned that white light is capable of revival, but with Eden dead, Zion is pretty purposeless.

ChestBurster, Ardy, JoTa34 and 3 others like this.
  26. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

One of the core narrative themes of the entire story of Worm is that just because you can match or beat someone in a straight fight doesn't mean they can't be a threat to you in some other way.

Psychological warfare is how Zion killed Eidolon. Psychological Warfare is how Khepri killed Zion. And it turns out that a yellow power ring is a pretty effective tool for psychological warfare, even ignoring any magic the Lord Protector has picked up along the way.

There is plenty of room for surprises in this Paul's potential methods to deal with Zion.

Edit: And that's before considering the other core narrative theme of Worm: collaboration makes people stronger. An approach to problem-solving that almost every version of Paul has demonstrated a deep appreciation for.

27. Ganurath

Amazingly, killing overt criminals doesn't magically make corruption in government and businesses disappear, no matter how many times gang supervillains get massacred. Covert villains get a pass, as well. You may notice that the Lord Protector omitted Coil of all people from his shit list.
    CITATION!
    More power won't change the fact that the Warrior Entity lacks the tools needed to apply the energy toward the goal of restarting the cycle.

I know that a lot of DC fans consider your invoking Cunningham's Law in pursuit of a dialogue to be cute, but in the Worm fandom misinformation about canon is a serious problem, due to the considerable number of people who haven't read Worm that are nevertheless part of the fandom thanks to the variety of Worm fanfics. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make a rampant problem worse with your usual... posting style.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You are getting you fanon in your canon.

Scion doesn't exist in any way that Paul can actually attack. Remember, his "golden" body is just a multidimensional projection, with his actual body existing safely locked away in another universe.

Actually he does have Clairvoyance, or well, a multidimensional sensor suite covering the general area of the solar system that lets him fake it.

I know limits.

And Scion's are far above a power rings.

For beings in DC that could actually take on Scion you are talking one's like Superman One Million.

That's completely incorrect.

Khepri killed Scion by mind controlling every shard holder in the multiverse, having them build a multidimensional battering ram powered by multiple earths, using that to knock down his dimensional fire wall, and then shooting him with an entity killer shard at the exact moment his projection's connection was vulnerable to it.

29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I dub thee Mellow Yellow!

30. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

The Power Ring itself is useless, I imagine, but the energy it uses would be utterly anomalous to an Entity in every single way. Assuming it wasn't utterly depressed like Scion, it'd desire to study said energy in hopes of finding something that ignores or violates the Laws of Thermodynamics and negates entropy.

Which, I guess, they kind of do? It's literally emotion that's been made tangible - it violates every precept of physics to the Entities as they know it. This isn't Gallant's brand of, "kinetic force that makes you feel things, because some of it reprograms your hormones on impact," emotion, but actual, bona fide emotional energy that doesn't make too much sense unless you put stock into more esoteric vistas of science.

It was only vulnerable due to psychological warfare. Scion had PtV; if he wanted to survive that attack, he simply would have chosen to survive. Each Cycle is rigged so that killing an Entity is impossible; he committed suicide by parahumanity, which Khepri unceremoniously persuaded him into by parading mockeries of his dead girlfriend around.

EDIT: Honestly, when you think about it, Worm is just the story about a large worm grieving, having a mid-life crisis after talking to an ant, and eventually committing suicide due to another ant - a queen, in this case - bullying him with the pictures of a dead worm.