1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Information era

Information era Getting sticky.

Im pretty sure the light sigil appears over whatever armor they are wearing. I am not sure you are able to turn that off. Lung is a tough SOB, but it takes him time to ramp up to full power. Currently he was just at +1 foot, which is Brute 4 blaster 2. He is explicitly weak to sniping tactics.

Secondly, the endbringer apocalypse takes all of 3 minutes of googling. It is longer term, but still looming. The scion apocalypse is separate.

Also, if he is using evil methods even he doesn't need to, that is a definite sign that his alignment is shifting to evil.

Seriously it seems to be a loop of "his characterization is off"->no he is just evil->no he is just incompetent->no he is just evil

with incompetent and evil looping

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Vaermina likes this.
  2. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

And those same three minutes would also give an idea as to how powerful they are; as I said before...

And I really don't see how taking down the ABB, E88 or the Merchants constitutes

Rebu and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The huge manhunters didn't have a sigil, they were just color coded to their power source, pretty sure Pauls heavier power armor hasn't been described to bear the sigil either.

As far as the updates go the LP looks like an humanoid in a full concealing heavy power armor that glows yellow and uses yellow hardlight shields and weapons.

Nothing about that setup screams Yellow Lantern let alone the earlier showings of DC lanterns.

Edit: Also again this isn't just a guy with a glowing yellow ring, his power armor is the best he could assemble using advanced technology and arcano tech, its not just a suit of technology and remember Paul shared how micro rune forging and soul engraving works. Heck that is likely the reason no one of the big shots has detected him and also probably why Tattle got immediately overloaded.

Darko, Rebu and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Information era

His stated intention is to murder pretty much all of the supervillains in the surrounding area. He then also started out by killing one of the ones best suited for fighting the endbringers. He is going to end up killing well over 45% of capes that can fight against the endbringers if he carries out his stated intentions.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

More than that I'd imagine, since villains outnumber heroes 2 to 1. I see no reason to believe that powerful capes differ from that basic pattern.

People who have trigger events are usually fucked up, which can lead to dubious decision making. Cauldron's vials have been keeping the hero sides artificially high.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's going to run into a hard wall pretty soon.

After all, he was only able to get as far as he did because he was a newly arrived player.

Now though, Armsmaster reported what happened back to the Protectorate, from there it will go to Alexandria, who will tell Cauldron, at which point the Lord Protector will get Pathed and start failing at everything he tries to do to various villains.

7. Information era

So is everyone more or less agreed that LP is going to fall flat on his face sooner or later between being targeted by everyone, the endbringers, approaching scion in the dumbest way possible, and generally getting way over his head without using any tact or preparation beyond his heavy equipment?

Also, where are we on general assessment LP only having 3 charges renewing one charge every 17 hours at max. Possibility of him having multiple lanterns, but it only mentions the one. He also can't store them in subspace without connection to a central power battery.

8. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I think it doesn’t really matter whether there is a consensus on that (which I’m unsure there is), given that Zoat will write what he writes regardless. So really, it seems like a hypothetical what ‘should’ happen rather than what ‘will’ happen.

Chaoswind and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If things are played straight, absolutely.

And that's the problem.

Zoat has shown he's perfectly willing to nerf other settings so his SI wins.

drasteed and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

Lantern > endbringer

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

I am fairly sure that, as long as singularity beam projectors (or equivalent) are a thing, Lord Protector could, in fact, take Endbringers in terms of firepower.

As to the precognition... Well, that canonically shouldn't be much of an issue. We know that Paul does not seem to be "present" for any time traveler, ie that time travelers from the future arrive from futures where he doesn't exist and never existed (please correct me if I'm wrong). This means that "information from the future" type of precognition he should be protected from. The "model the future based on the present information" type of precognition... Well, I would think that treating ring technology and Entity technology as somewhat equivalent would be fair. In that case, the "based on the present information" part fails flat as long as Lord Protector has any kind of magic ward. And, given that he deals with "ancient spirits of evil", it's likely he is at least somewhat proficient in magic.

Now, various types of mind control might be problematic, but he probably has at least some resistivity due to fear enlightenment, and, if he is sufficiently from the future, he might be partially a yellow light elemental, meaning that his mind is not fully organic.

Overall, yes, he is unlikely to succeed, but he shouldn't fall flat either.

12. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th April
    18:32 GMT -6

"Oh. Hello." Tia gives Alan and Koriand'r a puzzled frown and then looks at me for an explanation.

"Doctor Sivana, this-"

"Tia, please."

Which is what I normally call her, but it seemed to me that emphasising her title would be more appropriate and 'Doctor Tia' sounds a little silly.

"-is Blue Lantern and Lantern Koriand'r. If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it if they could join us."

She shakes her head. "That shouldn't be a problem. Are either of you involved in what Paul's been doing?"

Koriand'r shakes her head. "I have been on Earth for less than a day."

Alan shrugs. "He's been keeping me updated."

"Okay. If you'll all come with me?"

She leads the way from her office to Fawcett Hospital's research ward, nodding to the duty nurse as we arrive.

"Anyone new in this evening, Mark?"

"Yeah, they're bringing a guy in now. Low-speed motorcycle crash. The paramedics don't think anything's broken. He's already signed the consent forms, so you can get started as soon as he arrives."

Tia nods as she uses her holoscreen to review the file for a moment, then smiles.

"Thank you." She turns back to the three of us. "We've been gathering test data on purple healing rays since Paul gave them to us, and we switched to human trials back in December."

"Ah…" Alan looks mildly concerned. "It hasn't been tested on humans? I thought-?"

"We've got pl-." / "FDA approval doesn't mean-."

We look at each other and I bow, opening my right hand in Alan's direction.

"FDA approval doesn't mean that it's safe, it means that it's passed FDA standards for safety and efficacy. We haven't changed the way the purple ray functions, all we're doing is gathering data on how it affects the human body. If it gets approval for widespread use everywhere that picks it up will still be using essentially the same device as the one Doctor von Gunther built in München in nineteen forty four. Just, about a twentieth of the size."

"Have you had any trouble at all?"

"Not exactly, though we have discovered some of its limitations. The purple ray doesn't remove foreign objects, so we've had situations where glass or metal fragments have caused damage after the wound was healed. It also doesn't treat displaced bone fragments as being part of the body. Normally, if someone's bleeding to death on the table we don't worry about that, but with a purple ray blood loss and brain swellings simply aren't a problem any more whereas a bullet fragment which is physically impeding regeneration can be."

She takes a breath, smiling the satisfied smile of a chirurgeon in a major city who hasn't had to tell a family that one of their relatives has died in over a year.

"Some people were reluctant to have a experimental healing ray used on them by someone named Sivana, but once news got around that the Justice League used it we started having the opposite problem."

"Opposite..?"

"People deliberately injuring themselves so they could participate. I had to do a piece on local news after someone died…" She shakes her head. "That's mostly stopped now, tha-"

The doors at the end of the ward are pushed open and a man is pushed through on a gurney. The biker gear he's wearing is clearly heavily scuffed on his front and left side, and his expression makes it clear that he's in a degree of discomfort. I do a quick ring scan to make sure that there's nothing seriously wrong -and out of the corner of my eye notice Alan and Koriand'r do the same thing- and find nothing of note. Enough bruising that in other circumstances he'd probably be spending the next few days high on painkillers, but that's about it.

"-nkfully. Mister Augustin, hello!" Tia steps away from us and falls in beside the orderlies and they push the gurney towards the purple ray room. "I'm Tia, and I'll be overseeing your treatment today."

"Yeah, h-" He glances up at the three of us as we fall in behind them. "-i. Ah..?"

"If you don't have any objection, Paul, Koriand'r and Blue Lantern would like to observe the process. If you'd rather that they wait outside-."

"Nah, nah, that's cool." He lies back down. "This take long?"

"Well, that depends. This is a research-"

The gurney is brought into the centre of the room, under the purple ray emitter. The orderlies then head back out while Tia steps closer.

"-project, so I'd ideally like to do a full assessment of your injuries first. That could take a few minutes and require you to remove your clothes. Then we would apply the ray and monitor exactly how your injuries respond. Then you'd be called back every few weeks so that we can check on your progress."

"Progress..?"

"We haven't had any adverse effects as a result of the purple ray, but we'd like to be able to prove that. On the other hand, since we've already submitted our data we can skip the assessment if you prefer, and that will shave a few minutes off. We'll still need to do follow-ups just in case, but I don't imagine there'll be any trouble."

"And after you zap me, I'll be fine?"

"Ninety-nine point nine nine percent."

"And it's free?"

"Yess?"

"I.. think I'd rather skip the assessment?"

"Okay, that's fine." Tia takes hold of the purple ray projector and points it at Mr Augustin's head. "Now, some patients feel a small amount of discomfort, but if you feel any pain, let me know at once."

She activates the purple ray, and after an initial flinch Mr Augustin doesn't appear at all uncomfortable.

"We've found that fifteen seconds is enough-" She moves the ray down. "-to completely eliminate the risk of concussion, and since brain damage appears to be something the ray can't entirely fix, we like to start there."

Alan nods. "You said you've already submitted your data?"

"Yes, and it's now up for peer review. Once that's done we can make our FDA application and it's just a matter of having them inspect KordTech's manufacturing plant and paying our registration fee." She moves the purple ray to Mr Augustin's left arm and he looks visibly less uncomfortable. "Ted's been talking about selling internationally, but I'm only familiar with the US process."

And since there isn't anyone with an existing 'fast heal' product on the market, no one in the US government has a financial stake in trying to block this. Even painkiller manufacturers won't be affected all that much, at least until Ted can make enough to equip every ambulance in the country.

"Does it just work only on humans?"

Tia glances at Koriand'r as she moves the purple ray briefly over her patient's right side. "We don't have enough aliens in Fawcett City to test it. If you can bring injured… Ah, what was your species?"

"Tamaranean."

"Tamaraneans here, we can give it a try."

"Could you not give me spare purple rays so that tamaranean doctors could perform the trials?"

"Purple rays are magic-based. As far as I can tell, it won't work as well away from a source of magic." I shrug. "Sorry."

Tia shuts down the purple ray and returns it to its cradle.

"How do you feel?"

Mr Augustin smiles.

"Like it never happened. Thanks."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  13. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*trials

*reluctant

Change "is" to "of".

Unfinished sentence.

14. Pakisabi

Pakisabi Master Procrastinator

were 'reluctant'

once 'news'

15. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Magic based? Shame. Though I wonder if that means there's going to be some ugly price rearing its head at the end of the day.

Hm? Might depend on the principles that the magic works on. I imagine Order magic would be pretty good at healing (aka restoring something to an orderly state) or the help of a goddess like Hestia or Demeter could help with healing.

16. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

I feel like this should either be "paying our" "paying out the" or just "paying the"

17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ct613hulu

You know what you did.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. Scholar of Time

Scholar of Time Master of Lurking

Metaphysical Avatar of Purple Ray Healing:
    Sitting at a plain office desk, hitting a singular button in front of him, over and over

"Damaged skin...Restore to Default Settings *push*"

"Punctured lung...Restore. *push*"

"Brain damage...?..fuck it, Restore should do something"

"Anal seepage...*sigh*...Restore."

Purple-o keeps hitting the button and muttering, as a dust-covered amphora labeled "Horrific Costs and Consequences" leans precariously on an unopened scroll marked 'How to Properly Disperse Miracles for Fun and Profit! by Z. Pantokrator'

In the distance, another sigh, another button-push....

And the sound of an amphora falling.

19. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Wait, Magic Based? Uh-oh.

Some purple energy cancer god is about to attack isn't it?

"Who has been stealing my energy and using it so frequently! The pact between our two worlds was that it would only be used sparingly by those who paid proper respect to my divinity!"

I thought the Purple Healing Ray used the Compassion section of the Emotional Spectrum to heal.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

My guess: it does something really bad to pregnant women / babies. Maybe it causes infertility in men as well. It was invented for use on Amazons, who can’t get pregnant, and this seems like a reasonable problem with a “fast heal” drug. Might also not work well on growing children - e.g. prevent future natural growth in parts of the body. Decelerates aging of tissues it’s used on? Not a problem for an island of immortal adult women, but unsafe for others.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And the first checkup on one of his projects, eh? Beautia Sivana, who was working on getting the Purple Ray tested for general use.

Professionalism, always good. She's probably got him slotted in 'friend' mode rather than 'colleague'.

Hard to believe everything last episode was a matter of hours...

On the upside, if anything goes wrong, you have a Ring-based healer right there.

Low-speed isn't necessarily minor, of course. For all its' vaunted durability, bits of the human body are surprisingly fragile. Necks, for example.

No, it's been used on humans. But as far as the government is concerned, that doesn't mean squat.

Ladies first.

The joy of modernisation. Everything's smaller. At this rate, I'd be amazed if it couldn't be made into a pistol size for paramedic use.

So there's still the need for surgery to remove or realign damaged parts. I hope they didn't find out the hard way by having someone's heart get shredded by glass or something.

Any emergency doctor would love to have that kind of success rate.

Oh, goddammit. people will always be people. Too bad the ray can't fix Stupid. But nothing short of a miracle can do that. And even the Presence knows when to cut its losses.

Well, at least that idiot won themself a Darwin Award, I hope.

Ow. That would suck. But hey, he gets to help advance the cause of medical science...

I'm sure seeing three glowing superheroes would make anyone pause...

"Becasue, ya know, this really hurts. And I am so glad they gave me painkillers."

Man, this thing just exudes an aura of mad science, doesn't it? I hope the production model is reasonably sedate-looking.

Because of course long-term monitoring is required. Despite the Purple Ray begin a one-and-done system (barring the aforementioned foreign objects.)

For a given definition of fine, yes. I hope he doesn't have any piercings he'd like to keep.

I know, it's positively unamerican, isn't it? But his bill is probably being paid by the study's funding.

Probably too many people for him to be comfortable stripping, especially in front of Beautia. I'm sure any of the Lanterns could remove his gear without damage, if he wanted.

"Huh, feels kinda warm, actually. Like sunbathing... Niice..."

After a year, that would be a lot of data, especially if treatments only take five minutes on average.

At which point the capitalists will be baying for blood. Too bad they'll be established by then.

Yeah, there's a lot of tamaraneans carrying old injuries and scars, aren't there. Lots of former slaves... And I doubt even she could bear the stress of healing them all, even if she gets a Blue Ring.

Good question. OL?

Well, that's a stinker. Perhaps if they ever get more info on how it works, they can make one adapted to Tamaran?

"Houston... We have nooo problems..."

Well, that went well. Presumably a quick Ring scan would confirm that, and he gets to go pay his bill for the ambulance ride.

A nice look at progress on the Purple Ray front. And I liked Kori's interest in it. Because of course she'd want something to help the lingering wounds her people are suffering. Now, I wonder where tomorrow will take us?

22. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I'm pretty sure Paul used the purple ray on the beaver indigo dude and that was somewhere in the ass end of the galaxy (same chap he recruited Ranx in) so this can't be true?

23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Nice catch!

Darko, Cuchulin, WargWolf and 3 others like this.
  24. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I seem to missing something with the mechanics of the setting. I thought that the reason why Magic doesn't work once you leave Earth is that it is a product of life. Magic would thus be extra potent on Earth due to its status as the home / prison of the Life Entity, essentially impossible to use in the Vacuum of Space, and simply relatively weaker on a planet like Tamaran with a normal ecosystem but no other magic empowering aspects.

Am I missing something? This seems like is really significant given the many supernatural entities that are seeking some kind of universal conquest. Their threat radically declines if they are only able to exert their powers on the few planets like Earth that are magically potent.

PS: Sorry about the story post. I have deleted it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It won't, Tinkers have tried gravity based weapons on them in the past to no real effect.

Which is understandable given the energy fields used to cancel their own gravitational effects, would do the same to such weapons.

None of that will protect him.

He's a human using easily modeled powers, the only time an error will pop up with Shard based precog is when he pulls out something completely new. But each new thing will only work once, after which, what that thing can do, will be added to the modeling.

It's nicer then saying "Sorry, but I can't give you this super useful item because that would basically be destroying one of Earth's very few possible trade goods.".

26. Agent Orange

Reasonable. But I'm pretty sure Paul would've commented on this in his inner narration if that was the case.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I don't think there was ever really a connection with life, and.... did Zoat ever actually confirm the Life entity being in Earth?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He did. While Paul was fused with the Ophidian, Paulphidian commented that they didn't want to disturb the Life Entity.

29. Agent Orange

I dunno about WoG but I vaguely recall Paul having a chat with Hinon and her basically confirming it.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  30. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

1) Citation please. And even allowing for that, SBP is rather in league of its own, and in canon worm text I don't remember similar weapons at all.
    2) What gravitational effects? are you using that "denser to the core" fanon? It's not density, it's durability that increases.

How? No, seriously. Ok, let's say that shards can perceive him correctly. Note: that's not a given at all, if he has any scry wards, and shard remote inter-dimensional perception is technological in nature, given that those shut down ring scans completely. He might as well not exist as far as shard senses go. But, ok, let's grant it to you that shards can see him. Let's say that they have seen him use a mallet construct, a chainsaw construct and a singularity beam projectior construct. How do they know which he will use in any given situation? Please remember that he has enlightenment, which is a soul structure alteration that directly affects his decision making and is unlikely to be (easily) modeled by shards.

Oh, and how would they model glow construct properties? Unless you posit that Miss Militia is a green lantern knockoff and her constructs are glow based of course, or something similar, modeling interactions between yellow light and, say, Gallant's emotion blasts is likely to produce "ERROR: Divide by Banana" messages.

Darko, Cuchulin, Rebu and 4 others like this.