1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Probably. Also, given the bullshit-tech that appears in the comics, they probably had everything needed to make that coilgun back in the 1930s, and just needed to put it together (it's just in RL that we really don't).

WhiteNoise, NullVoid and Darko like this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was a little surprised Paul would include average weaponry in his uplift programs. After he mentioned how guns do nothing against really big threats, I was a little less surprised. Seeing these peeks at all the advancements Paul is helping bring to Earth is always nice. Even if it is inconsequential, like Paul's takeover of Cadbury, it is one thing more that Paul is improving to the best of his abilities and as best as the environment will allow. This really lets me see that he really is trying to 'him' the world as much as he can, and in the least disruptive way, or at least peaceful way that will leave the least amount of outrage, possible.

WhiteNoise, Vorian, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Trade was his interest.

Then he stepped through the portal, found a world such that crossing over with Warhammer 40K makes it more bright and cheerful, and it personally offended him on both his 'Paul' and 'Lord Protector' levels that he decided to get down to work.

Sinestro would be so proud

(Again, given the world, this is not necessarily a bad thing. It only starts pinging on the Renegade scale if and when the emergency has been resolved and the man on the white horse - or with the yellow ring, as it were - decides he needs to keep going.)

4. ChiChi

ChiChi I trust you know where the happy button is?

your

also I agree with the others about there would still be recoil maybe the recoil is attenuated somewhat but it'd still be there

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    ˙pooƃ ooʇ sɔᴉsʎɥd ʇ,uop I

6. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

Ok, so as near as I can find the mass of gunpowder in a 9mm is about 10% of the mass of the bullet itself. Very roughly. VERY. It varies. It very varies.

Thus it seems that a decent approximation for how much the recoil due to the gas vs the recoil due to the bullet itself would be 10%, Again, very roughly.

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  7. The Vale

The Vale Know what you're doing yet?

So he said he was aiming to make a simpler easier to maintain gun but I'm seeing 2 forms of expendables in battery and projectile (this is the equivalent of powder and shot loading separately - how antiquated) electronic circuitry (dial for force, regulating discharge and recharge of capacitors) coils (which need to be calibrated for precision timing).

So you've taken a device which is entirely mechanical and can be maintained just about anywhere into something that needs a degree in electrical engineering and a clean room to maintain and repair.

Think he failed his goals there.

8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Recoil is a reaction to the momentum imparted to the ammunition, if the weapon is firing mass in the shooting range then it has recoil, you would need meta materials violating basic physics for recoil to not be a factor in such a process and since the point is that this weapon is meant to be Simple then I see no way for that to be true.

If the weapon not having recoil is very important for the update, then you have to use lasers (pulse lasers are more useful at lower energy capacity) or very low mass particle accelerators.

If the design has to be simple, then it HAS to produce recoil Mr Zoat

Also I question how the maintenance of these components is going to be easier than the purely mechanical AK-47... I guess if all the parts can easily be replaced with ones bought in a store then there is no maintenance beyond the process of replacing these parts, but that means that as soon as the parts stop being produced the weapon becomes mostly useless for the layman.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  9. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

My inner Texan is wanting a double-barrel shotgun version of the Cobra gun. I’m with Chris, this sounds amazing, it also reminds me of Mass Effect. My favorite gun was always the Graal Spike thrower. I could shoot my enemies and chop them to bits at the same time.

Cuchulin and Deadpanwitch like this.
  10. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

This is either a reference to one of my favorite and formative superhero fiction shared universes, or it's an incredible coincidence, but I'm going to assume that this glorious weapon is a reference to Whateley Academy.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

It's named because of the sound it makes when charged. I've never read anything from Whateley Academy.

12. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Darn, well, still, it's a good name, and I guess it makes sense to name a coilgun/gauss pistol/linear accelerator "Cobra" for that reason alone.

13. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Not only that, but any automatic or semi-automatic (self-loading but one round per pull of the trigger) firearm gets significantly reduced recoil from the internal mechanism. Recoil-operated guns, like frommerman described, use clockwork mechanisms to directly convert recoil momentum into useful work (opening the bolt, ejecting the spent casing, chambering the next round, and closing the bolt again). Blowback-operated guns (typically only used for handguns because it rather limits the power of the ammo that you can use) use a somewhat similar technique without the reciprocating barrel, instead using the gas pressure in the chamber to force the bolt to open and springs to carry out the rest of it. Gas-operated guns like the AK (and, honestly, most automatic rifles) actually tap some of the combustion gasses out of the barrel once the bullet is beyond a certain point in it and uses them to operate the mechanism. All of these take some of the energy that would otherwise go into recoil and put it into instead cycling the action, meaning that there is significantly less felt recoil.

Even more important than actual recoil (the weapon moving back in keeping with m1v1 + m2v2 == mivi momentum conservation), though, is muzzle rise, which comes from the lever effect of recoil pressing back into the shooter's support (palm for handguns, shoulder for long guns) with the center of pressure above the point of support. This is essentially impossible to prevent in handguns (think about the arrangement that would be needed to have the barrel effectively in line with the shooter's palm, and what that would do when the slide comes back to load the next round), and the need for effective sights makes it very difficult to do in long guns, because of the need to have the sights line up with the shooter's eye while he has the gun shouldered. You gain some benefit from the shooter basically leaning his head to the side to press his cheek into the gun's stock and line his eye up with the sights, but his eye line will still be a few inches above his shoulder; the most common solution to this is to put "rise" into the stock where there's something of an upward bend (or downward curve) to the stock, with the barrel lined up above the top of the buttplate on the stock. The AR-15 family of rifles (including the M16) has unusually low muzzle rise for their chambering because Eugene Stoner instead designed the rifle to have no rise on the stock (because he put the spring that closes the bolt inside the stock); to compensate for this, you end up with the famous "high-rise" sights that stick several inches up above the barrel and actually use the carrying handle as the rear sights. Muzzle rise is important because it actually pushes the aimpoint off the target, while recoil just feels like a kick into your shoulder/palm. (One standing joke about the old M14 rifle was due to it having heavy muzzle rise in full-automatic fire; the claim was that in full-auto, the first round would hit, the second round would miss high, the third round would miss higher, and after that, you're getting into anti-aircraft fire.)

The sights also provide a good reason for preferring a longer gun in most situations--the longer barrel doesn't provide that much more velocity or accuracy directly from ballistic effects (and, indeed, too long a barrel can actually reduce velocity if it's so long that the combustion gases have time to fully expand to ambient atmospheric pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel); the accuracy benefit comes from having a longer distance between front and rear sights, and thus a narrower range of eye positions relative to the barrel that provide proper sight alignment. In other words, with a longer barrel, you have to get your eye closer to perfect alignment with the barrel and sights to be able to draw a bead on your target, and thus, you have less range for error in your aiming, so your shots will land closer to your point of aim (assuming, of course, the sights are aligned properly).

I can see how the coilgun/railgun could well be mechanically far less complex than the AK. The AK is a gas-operated rifle that uses gas tapped off the barrel near the muzzle to power a clockwork mechanism that unlocks the bolt, slides it back, and ejects the spent cartridge, then relies on a spring to push the bolt back forward and strip the next round off the top of the magazine (held in place by a spring in the magazine and then guided in by the shape of the feed ramp and the shape of the round), ram it into the chamber, and then lock the bolt. The coil/rail gun version wouldn't need a bolt (locking or not) to close the breech, or any complex mechanism to feed the next round into the chamber; without chemical propellant, the magnets could throw the slug and then a simple spring in the magazine could push the next one up into position for firing, replacing a couple of dozen moving parts with just one. It would be electronically vastly more complex, but from a mechanical standpoint, it would become simplicity itself...

14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

15. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

a little late, but....i guess it depends on genre- low/no-magic Fantasy would probably be Temeraire, Military Scifi... currently "The lost Fleet" as a whole, not book specific- nonfiction would be "a short history of nearly everything"

... i..used to have a huge softspot for the P.E.R.N books as a kid-it was almost a shock seeing dragons being depicted as heroic (endlessly fighting the thread), companionable,beautiful creatures dancing and shimmering in the light- but with the slaughterhouse the first post Anne book turned into...

might want to focus on mechanical reliability/simplicity over recoil, zoat-several years of following forgotten weapons has left this Aussie with a feel that reducing recoil without downsizing the projectile usually means exponential increases in internal complexity

given this is a hacked together prototype (albeit one done by folks who know their stuff regarding firearms,and seemingly electromagnetics), maybe emphasize the ease of service of the majority of the components-and reduced/minimal wear/fouling issues (potentially having the most complicated components the caps/battery?)-and the low/minimal cost of ammunition..

a potential aim could be for a rugged general-purpose rifle (military service or hunting/survival in a colonial-err, as in "newly settled, previously uninhabited land", not "shooting the locals for their land" colonial >.<, low-magic environment) that doesnt need more then a soldering iron and a reasonable toolkit to maintain without needing parts machined/stamped, with most of the complexity going into the (long-lived,hardened) power packs

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

As a proud, Conceal Carry permit holding, American; I would politely ask this be changed to "asshole" or something less 'homophobic'. I know 'faggot' does not have as bad of reputation as a hate word in Britain. But it is fairly offensive in America.

We gun owners already get an unfair bad rap. We don't need more bad press.

It would be COMPLETELY legal just so long as he has the proper import permits......... I doubt that Congress has gotten around to updating the gun laws to ban plasma or laser based weapons yet.

Just saying, he would win the lawsuit if they raided him........ assuming he had the proper import permits. Guns are legal, and Alien Guns are still Guns.

M'erica, Duck YA.

17. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Bullet has to be iron. Lead isn't magnetic. Other issues can be alleviated with bullet geometry.
    Inertial dampeners already exist in this case. The advantage of an electric weapon is much the same as an electric car: regenerative breaking. You can convert the recoil back into useful work by having it generate energy. The barrel floats on the magnetic field, and the recoil drives it backwards through the coil, where the coil becomes a generator and slows the barrel before it hits the housing.
    Imagine if you had a bank of many small capacitors and batteries that had diodes between them such that depending on if they're charging or discharging they act as if they're in series or in parallel.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Okay, I'll change it, but can you come up with something more creative than 'asshole'?
    No he wouldn't, because he wouldn't be able to afford the five plus years of court action it would take. Also, there aren't any permits that would allow weapons to be imported from other planets.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It sounds like Zoat got Coilguns and Lasers mixed up.

gustyeagle, Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well a somewhat insulting thing to call him would be 'pussy'.

It is an insult against his masculinity, but I don't know if it's more creative than 'asshole'.

Still I doubt Christopher knows all that many creative words.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  21. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Wanker?

Edit: Or, alternately, Poof. (I think that's the right word? Supposed to mean the same as faggot, but slightly more obscure. I don't know, I'm not an obscenity vocabulary!)

I'm slightly shocked this if the first time I've read that combination of words. That's so...American. And I say that as one.

22. Mr Zoat

Christopher is American. I don't think they/you use the word 'poof'.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  23. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

He has room temperature superconductors from the Jovium he got from the Amazons.

Also, thermal superconductors which are whole different Holy Grail.

24. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I like Darko's suggestion of "pussy" and agree with his assesment.

Another three letters that you should never underestimate N.R.A. (National Rifle Association).

They do a bit of legal work fighting for our Second Amendment rights. (also, like me, they would salivate at the thought of Alien guns).

25. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Among our/themselves, no. But..maybe I'm just used to a higher class of rednecks, (Huntsville, AL! Where the rednecks have rocket science degrees, and you should be afraid!) but we'd/they'd totally use an insult from a 'foreigner's' country of origin as an affectation, which this whole conversation reads as.

26. Mr Zoat

Pussy it is, then.
    If they couldn't stop armour piercing bullets getting banned I doubt they could prevent positron beams getting banned.

27. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

Just a little note, that AK mud myth is a foolish myth. The AK could be run without being maintained by peasants or conscripts and work just fine. But the bullshit about it running with mud inside is ridiculous.

Here's an AR-15 going through that same torture test, and guess what, it worked.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Um... They did stop armor piercing bullets from getting banned...

gustyeagle, Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  29. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I don't know what's worse, me being late to the update that goes into details about coil gun operation, or being late to all the 'recoil is still a thing' correction! Joking of course. Thanks Zoat for giving us a bit of technical crunch to squee over, i do so enjoy when folks dip into the mechanical aspects of their sci fi tech.

As for my 2 cents on the recoil issue, from the description this appears to a multistage coil gun.

In a modern firearm you get a a primer detonating a powder charge at the base of the shell casing. For most handgun loads this powder charges are chemically engineered to burn Very rapidly, so that they've completed burning by the time the bullet has left the relatively short barrel. Rifle rounds, having longer barrels, can afford to burn a bit slower, but the idea is the same. Faster and slower burning powders in firearms control the amount of pressure the barrel has to handle and the speed of the projectile (alongside the weight of the projectile). Handloading ammo for a specific firearm with a specific set of characteristics can optimize these aspects.

In a coil gun with a single coil, it's much the same, in that you need to dump all the energy in one go over a short period of time. The limiting factors there are peak energy discharge and magnetic saturation of the target. And you'd have a similar amount of recoil impulse over a short period of time.

In a multiple coil design however, you add energy several times over the course of the projectile moving down the barrel. This allows you to spread the amount of energy used over a longer period of time, which makes a huge difference in the 'felt' recoil of a firearm.

It's a bit like pushing a kid on a swing....would you prefer one BIG push at the start, or a couple small pushes over time to get the kid going.

There is a point of diminishing returns, which is why most coil guns you see (outside of a particle acceleration, which pretty much the same thing on a different scale) only have so many coils, for practical purposes. Most hobby versions I've seen stop at 3 or 4.

The tricky part with multiple coils is the timing system, because if you get it wrong with the position of the projectile and the discharge on the coil, you could end up firing the damned thing backwards. Most versions I've seen use an optical gate system, but if you're very good and your ammo and loading systems are consistent, you can get away with just a timing circuit.

As for the issue of Paul having to break some physical laws and do some chemical / materials physics to get a hand held weapons grade coil gun operational.

I'd like to rewind things back to early days in WTR, and Ivo's Robot Monkey's with plasma eyes....and the pistols that Paul made out of those for the Metropolis PD.

The batteries, capacitors and electro-magnets that you'd need to have to make a functional hand held weapons grade PLASMA GUN, are very much in tune with what you'd require for a coil gun, and arguably the coil gun is far more efficient in delivering energy to target.

The Earth based technical information from Ivo alone would have allowed for this kinda weapons tech, and a coilgun operating in the battle rifle energy ranges would be a downgrade from the plasma gun specs in what would be required. Even without divine superconductors or space tech, DC Earth has it. Getting the costs down would be hard, but like they said, the gun is more expensive, but you save money on the back end with cheaper ammo.

As for reliability, while there would be fewer moving parts due to the electrical nature of the firearm, you still need the ammo feed system and ejection systems (yes even a 'caseless' weapon still requires ejection port for when you have to clear a dud or damaged round, or simply unload the gun without firing a chambered round).

Coil guns vs Rail guns arguments generally come down on the railgun side when it comes to top speed, because there is a limit on what a coil gun projectile will magnetically saturate to a point where you just can't pull it any harder then you already are, where as a rail can simply be made longer to go faster. The coil gun wins for reliability because unlike a railgun, which scrapes the rails rough to the point of damage over multiple shots, the coils are not in physical contact with the projectile and, aside from heat build up and compression forces, suffer no damage for repeat firings.