1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Magic spells aren't a permanent function.

The binding spell was cast over 70 years ago, and the remains of the binding circle itself very specifically destroyed in 1988.

Cuchulin and JoTa34 like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Extra quote in the start.
    It should be deleted unless Paul is saying the first part out loud.

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

appears -> appear

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Oh this storyline reminded me of a Tim Hunter story.

For whatever reason, Harry Pot...Tim Hunter, the Merlin, decided to hide in a reality with no magic.

So he created one. Universe creation is a nice perk if you can get it.

I found it interesting what DC thought a world without magic would look like- No religion. No dreams.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

But still looking exactly the same.

9. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I thought the SI's avarice-based instantaneous travel was dependent on using the desires of creatures as navigation posts. How was he able to transport himself out to the mother star on Pluto when there were no living beings with desires for light-minutes around?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

The Honden contains all desires that are and have been. People were wanting things there under an hour ago.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

John and Hinon are highly clever and capable people.

Figuring out what was done should be well in their skill range, even if the spell is old and the circle was destroyed.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

That was my take too. Dream was always one of the nicer of the Endless, But once angered would always pull out that old-school old testament type wrath. Given the nature of this request being something that he would probably have done on his own anyway, This probably comes off as “oh these guys are trying to help me do my job” so he’s likely to think well of OL and friends.

I still think I am just infinitely happy that the Endless are even in this story, even only as brief cameos and the like.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's probably because even Dream would be willing to.peacefully get rid of a powerful but needed being that deals with humanity misery that's trapped on Dreamland and influencing dreams to turn into nightmares.

And because this is most likely junior and the first Dream committed suicide by Cape already.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hmm, as Magic used more of a fundamental force in the universe before the Oan-Magic War, I wonder if all the stars and suns of the galaxy used to emit as many joules, or thaums of supernatural energies as they do the materially oriented energies.

Perhaps "waking up" several stars/sun in some sectors might allow an easier practice of sorcery in those same areas of space?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  15. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Was under the impression OL's teleportation worked only if the destination was connected to the Orange Light. Does this mean the Mother Star is still alive enough to have wants?

16. Mr Zoat

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Morpheus is still alive in this story.

Daniel showed up in the Wing and Dagger episode and was still human.

I don't think that war happened in this story.

Ardy likes this.
  18. Tzeentch

If the Empire of Tears existed, an intergalactic empire that maintained it rule through mainly sorcery, not technology, there's a likelihood the war did indeed happen....

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Possibly, but not that much.

Yes they may have fought a magic using empire, but I don't think they got rid of a whole lot of the magic in the universe.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You are overestimating their capabilities by several orders of magnitude.

I mean seriously, using the logic of "they were at a place where a spell was cast 70 years ago so should know everything about it." they should both know literally every spell that ever existed.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No I said that between their skill and knowledge they should be able to make a highly educated guess at what happened and how the spell works, even if they don't know all of it.

Hinon is from a race of supergeniuses that have accumulated extreme amounts of knowledge and have had dealings with godlike beings for eons, including the Endless, and wield godlike powers themselves.

When she went there she also explained to Paul how the thing can trap an Endless, so chances are extremely high she managed to figure it out.

John is a highly skilled and clever mage that has been able to figure out complex spells in the past and has extensive knowledge on how to bind powerful beings.

Ardy likes this.
  22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Going by The Legion of Super-Heroes: Great Darkness Saga and the fact that the team had Mordru as a enemy i'd say that there is a lot of magic out there if OL were to go looking for it.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was before Zoat inserted his personal retcon that magic only works around planets.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Tzeentch

Hence why I think that might be a result of the Guardians war upon the supernatural.

If they couldn't completely remove it from existence, it only makes sense they'd find ways to at least diminish it's presence and influence upon the material universe as much as possible.

Gantradies likes this.
  25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Third, Desire is still going to be more powerful than him.

Darko likes this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind Paul has almost no personal power.

Or to use a metaphore, he's a parade balloon that looks a lot more impressive then he actually is.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

You're reaching a bit on that one.

28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That isn't exactly incompatible with what i said.

29. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

15th April
    06:42 GMT -5

"Oh El? Training's not 'til, like… Nine.

"Yes, Kid Flash, and I'm-"

"Wait, what'd you call me?"

"-sorry about that, but I'm in need of your expertise."

"Okay. Ah. What's going on?"

"You remember Sandman?"

"Yeah? I mean, I don't remember-him remember him; he died when I was, like, five, but I know who you mean."

"I have received information that his sidekick Sandy isn't dead."

"I know we joke about it? But getting shot with radioactive sand usually just kills people. Or gives them cancer.. or something."

"I know. I checked the statistics myself when I first came to this planet." Selection bias: the ones you hear about are the ones who live. The ninety nine point nine percent of people who get exposed to weird chemicals or magic or technology who just die don't make the same impact. "But you know how Sandman had prophetic visions?"

"I know he said he did. Wait, he didn't get them from Apollo, did he? Because you said Apollo hates you."

"No, not Apollo. Apparently what Sandman was dreaming… Was sort of leaking out of the dreams of criminals. I just had a chat with the being in charge of dreams and he wants us to rescue Sandy as a post-mortem 'thank you' to Sandman for using the power to do good."

"Huh. Kinda… Late."

"When talking to a being who can shape dreams and ideas as an act of will, even I had the sense not to point that out."

"I guess that makes sense. What do you need my help for?"

"Have you studied the chemicals Sandman used?"

"I'm.. Kid Flash, not Kid Sandman."

"Yes, I know."

"Jay showed me his research a couple of times, but I couldn't-. Oh!"

"Yes."

"That's how he invented a perfect knockout gas that nobody's been able to replicate! Rgtrgtltmjt-."

He's accelerating. I could have my ring play it back at audible speed, but it's actually faster to-

"Okay, I'm headed to the Mountain now."

-wait for him to realise.

"Who's actually gunna be there?"

"Blue Lantern, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado and whoever else is awake."

"You not calling Jay?"

"Flash One is even older than Blue Lantern and nothing like as regenerated."

Where's Ian Karkull when you need him?

"I'm not saying 'invite him along', I'm just saying he might know something."

Fair point.

"Is he going to be less annoyed about being phoned at seven o'clock in the morning by you or by me?"

"He's probably up. He doesn't.. actually sleep all that well. I'll run there so the phone doesn't wake Joan up."

"Right-oh. See you shortly."

I close my left fist and sigh as Zagreus emerges from the thrush-corpse he used to create a personal portal to Erebos.

"How did he take it?"

"My father is concerned, but he does not blame you. Our mother… We had best do the bidding of Morpheus swiftly." His eyes narrow and he gives his head a small shake. "Assuming that he can even find her."

"Why are you worried? He might not be omniscient, but his control of his own realm is pretty good."

"And was his control 'pretty good' when those Mother Star creatures were eating entire species?"

"Yes. Well, him or one of his predecessors."

"And he did nothing to stop them?"

"Zagreus, if there was some sort of apocalypse, most humans died and civilisation broke down completely, would you go back to Greece and teach the last few survivors how to hunt?"

"You mean, even though they're Christian?" He considers for a moment. "Probably."

"How about other places?"

"Per.. haps..?"

"You have a connection to Greece. Even now, over a thousand years after they stopped worshipping your family, you still feel it. Morpheus doesn't have a connection to anyone. The Mother Stars could have eaten everything with a mind in the universe and he wouldn't have cared, unless he considered himself to have an obligation to someone."

"Hm." He considers for a moment. "Then if I am unsettled by his callousness, it would behove me to amend my own behaviour. Very well then. If disaster befalls the world, I will teach the survivors the skills of their ancestors."

"Thank you."

"And now I will attempt to hunt down our earthly quarry."

"Okay, but if you find Sandy, don't approach. We have no idea what his mental state is."

"I have stalked quarry before, you know."

"I didn't mean to criticise your skills. I just want to make sure that we're on the same page."

He nods, then turns away and takes off at a loping run.

Okay.

I transition to the Salem zeta tube, which Koriand'r appears to be fascinated by. John is in full Doctor Fate regalia, which…

"John, are you grandfathered onto the League, or do you have to get nominated separately?"

"I suppose it depends on how long they want to keep the cover-up going."

"Grandfathered, then." He shrugs. "Well, let's get going. We've got a sidekick to rescue."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  30. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

even now