1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But he apparently got rid of the external underwear costume, yet the text says that he has been wearing that type of costume recently.

EDIT: Read the whole Mr Atom episode, and apparently Bats gave Supes some indestructible underwear.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Cuchulin, infinityDivided and Ardy like this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Yesss...having a powerful geokinetic on a team of teen heroes...so very, very very great...isn't that right, Tara Markov?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She is actually already around. The Renegade hired her to help dig out the Kryptonian battleship that Lex found. She disappeared afterwards, and I'm okay with that. If she ever appeared, Paul would take one look and know what to do, whether it be help her or expose her.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yeah, that happened before series 3.

5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I'd assume the Nazi Earth has some kind of magic tradition. Their version of Wonder Woman is literally one of the Valkyries of myth, sent by Odin himself to aid them. And they conquered their Earth's Atlantis.

So I'm sure there's some Nazi wizards lurking about, using Atlantian or Asgardian magics.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They didn't rely on magic as much as their Earth 16 counterparts, because they had advanced tech, but they may have some magicians, seeing as they apparently studied what those Kryptonian martial arts do.

I don't think they conquered Atlantis in this story, though I could be wrong.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Pretty sure Mr Zoat said something about Atlanteans not liking surface dwellers on that Earth. You might be thinking of Mars, and that was less conquered and more of claimed as all but one Martian was dead.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Underwaterman states that the only reason that the Atlanteans weren't exterminated was Hitler's belief that Aryans came from there.

9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Designations and names are wrong way around

10. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Is Black Manta a freedom fighter in that reality? With Kaldur naturally learning the family trade?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So they were conquered in your stories version of Nazi Earth.

I thought that in the comics they didn't conquer them because of their belief that they came from there, though it has been some time since I read that comic, so I could be misremembering.

David Hyde may not have even been born, or if he was he may have been killed when he was young.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What's the relationship between Linda/Noriel and Blaze like?

Ardy and Darko like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I doubt that he got born.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just watched the newest episode of Doom Patrol.

So Zoat is the Kipling in your story in love with Baphomet?

Because if he is then maybe the renegade can help him start a relationship with her, considering he's already started one with Luna.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  15. Agent Orange

Fair enough. I bet Wotan is having a blast thou. There's even odds to him being part of Nazi League (or whatever JL analogue is called). There was a version of him around.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have been a Norse sorcerer, but I don't think he's all that interested in the Nazis philosophy of racial purity.

Though he may just work for them for the resources they can bring him, assuming he actually works for them.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

I... Have no idea. I haven't read Doom Patrol and am only vaguely aware of the characters.
    Not really. They don't want crazy supervillains around any more than non-Nazis do.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You can still watch the show.

If those Scant things exist on Earth 16 then that could be an interesting explanation on why people haven't adopted advanced tech already, the Scants are making them stupid.

Is there any chance of you including some part of Doom Patrol in a future story-line?

Would be really interesting to see OL try to get access to time travel using Dr Tyme.

He apparently worked with Dr Sivana once so it's not exactly all that difficult to imagine the two can meet.

[​IMG]

Xmaster3000, nobodez and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder if Wally's been looking into the alchemical tradition of eastern esotericism, I imagine he's been finding the practices of Neidan, ("Internal Alchemy"), and Cultivation very informative and useful!

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he befriended that girl from the Indian superhero family that prays to a god for her superspeed.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Agent Orange

Wasn't that a family of "math equation" based speedsters?

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No they use a prayer.

There was a speedster that used an equation, but it wasn't them.

23. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

That's not how the burden of proof works. If power rings are incapable of matter alteration, than it simply will never come up: It won't be specifically denied in the story. There are fare too many abilities that are never denied that you don't assume the ring gives.

For example: can the ring let someone teleport into the real world and talk to the author? No? Well, it's never specifically said to be incapable of it, so it must be.

Obviously, that's going a bit far, but the point still stands that the burden of proof is on showing that there's something that proves they CAN perform matter alteration, not that they can't, and simply saying that it can do stronger things doesn't necessarily mean everything below that is thus possible (for example, telepathy: telepathy is lower-tier than time travel, but you still need proof the ring could perform telepathy before saying it's canon it can do that).

For the record, I don't know whether the ring can or can't do that, I'm just pointing out the fallacy of trying to shift the burden of proof to "well, can you prove that ISN'T the case?"

Cuchulin, Vorian and Vaermina like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sorry, but you don't get to make that decision, logic and reasoning does.

And well, when there is no other example of a thing, even when them doing so would be the difference between life and death, logic dictates that there's something about the one example that was the exception.

And on a note, Ice had no medical background, and she didn't even "will" a thing to happen, she very specifically wished for it.

So basically you're admitting that your only source for your claims is the unsourced wikia articles.

Got it.

Here's the thing though, unsourced wikia articles are meaningless, I could go log in to my Wikia account and edit them to say whatever I wanted, but that wouldn't make it true.

No, they made it so the uniforms were stored in subspace in the early comics and then turned them into constructs in the later one's.

[​IMG]

As to Zoat adding things to make his SI more powerful and other characters look bad for not using those obvious functions, we have already been over that, it's bad writing, and because of which deserves to be called out.

Mind you, it's not just bad writing because you should never add stuff and then have your SI character lecture canon characters about not using the writer added things. It's also bad writing because each new power you add locks out large swaths of potential challenges for your character.

And we are seeing the results of that now, with Paul basically just aimlessly coasting through the various storyline Zoat put's forward.

You get a like for putting in the effort.

However construct type uniforms don't immediately dissolve upon ring removal.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Your logic is very flawed here.

Remember Barbara Gordon?

She got crippled in the comics and didn't get healed, despite having access to advanced human and alien tech that could heal her, as well the ability to contact powerful magicians.

The writers didn't have her use any of these methods for dramatic reasons.

This can logically dictate that the writers who continued writing about power rings decided to not bring up their healing abilities because it would be more dramatic, or they just forgot they could do those things.

That also tends to happen, since writers change and they may not add the abilities previous authors gave to something or someone, because they either didn't want to do it or forgot about it.

Yes Ice wished for it to happen, but can you prove that her magic abilities were responsible for it coming true?

Can you even prove that her magic allows her to do anything other than ice generation and control, and if they can that it allows for her wishes to come true?

Here's the the thing though, I, and a shit ton of other people on this site, are far, far, far more likely to trust a wiki article that may be wrong, than your extremely biased posts.

Most people can't help but let a bit of their bias get in their writing sometimes, but on the other hand a lot of those people actually try to control that part of themselves so they don't do it, even if they don't completely succeed.

From everything we've seen you post I can safely and confidently say that you are the type of person that let's their bias get into everything without trying to control it.

What Zoat is doing isn't exactly unique.

Comic characters have often times not used their full abilities even when they knew about them.

He's also being faithful to the show, since a lot of the heroes, including the League, did a whole lot of stupid things in it.

Paragon has faced challenges in case you forgot all those powerful opponents he faced.

A lot of his challenges also weren't about fighting powerful opponents, but in things like advancing society and more social challenges, like the thing with Atlantis.

A whole lot of his challenges can't be solved with the overwhelming power he has at his disposal.

Also if he didn't get all these power ups then a lot of the threats he faced could have seriously hurt or even killed him.

We know that you like seeing every version suffer no matter what, but aside from Tangseid suffering, which most of us want, most of us really don't want to see the SI or most his alternates get stomped on by everyone that has some big power.

Also here's an interesting little idea.

Zoat can make the power rings in this story do whatever he wants and may use whatever source he wants, including the DC wiki, because we weren't exactly shown all that much of what power rings can do in YJ, so anything he writes about Earth 16 rings does not contradict any source you claim it goes against, since at this point there are practically a dozen different sources that can say things that contradict one another.

He can just add abilities from different sources, or even make up some, and they wouldn't go against the canon of YJ power rings, since there practically isn't any canon on YJ power rings.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  26. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

While I agree with this, Zoat can get preachy at times, adding things in-universe that aren't directly stated or even implied in that specific canon. You can't get upset at someone for not taking a Fulfills All Your Needs and Desires pill if there isn't one in the canon you're talking about, but is one in another related work. You can't get upset at the league for not calling in lots of magical support that exists in the comics unless you can prove that said magical support ALSO exists in the canon you're talking about. That's not necessarily bad all the time, but there are plenty of examples of him writing a rationale solution to a problem that is unfair to say that they should have done because we just don't know if it existed.

I still enjoy the story despite that, but saying it's not a part of Zoat's writing is intentionally blinding yourself.

27. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

What is this all about? If rings can transmute matter? They explicitly can in this fic and has been done in several episodes... What are you guys even arguing about?

Edit: If I am missing the context then it has to be a chain argument with Vaermina, the rings have transmuted matter several times and are only limited by energy requirements and cost. We have had episodes in with EXPLICITLY normal air is transmuted to knockout gas, this is NOT in dispute, nor it requires exhaustive DC canon sources, its been done to hell and back in the canon of this fic thus the capability is NOT in question.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  28. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Yup

Cuchulin, Darko, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  29. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Here's two examples of Hal Jordan using his ring for healing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an error in the story only thread. Should be "in an arc".

When Sandy is found, I really hope he can become a future member of the Team. This is of course after he receives physical and psychological therapy, as well as time to adjust to the things that have changed while he was trapped.

Mr Zoat, Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.