1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Konradleijon

Konradleijon Not too sore, are you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/25/coronavirus-covid-updates/

The United States edged closer to a single-day coronavirusinfection record with more than 74,000 new cases Friday, approaching the mark set just one week ago, as the pandemic that has burned through the country for months showed no sign of easing.

More than 1,000 Americans have died each day between Tuesday and Friday, the worst tally of human loss since late May.
    Even as President Trump insists that children must return to school in a matter of weeks, the nation appears no closer to controlling this worst-in-a-century medical emergency than it was months ago.
    The number of patients hospitalized with covid-19 has roughly doubled over the past month as the disease caused by the novel coronavirus tightened its grip on states such as California, Florida, Texas and Arizona. U.S. hospitals treated 59,670 people on Friday, just shy of the mid-April record of 59,940, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

It helps if instead of just linking you summarize the whatever you're linking.

evildice likes this.
  3. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

That article is itself a summary.

4. OverReactionGuy

So, doesn't mean I want to go to every damn site linked on a forum if it can be summarized on the forum.

5. Aleh

You're missing the point. It's a series of one-line summaries of (linked) news articles. The only real way to summarize it would be to just quote the damned thing.

6. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Meanwhile in Vietnam, an excellent analogue to the continental US given their high population density and unpoliceable border with China of all places?

Everything under control, still no fatalities, and they just detected a new case and in response evacuated eighty thousand people.

Damn.

7. Konradleijon

I just did it,

8. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

After months of wearing a basic bitch mask whenever I go out, I broke down and bought a stretchy black "fashion" mask. This is obviously going to be a long haul thing, so I might as well go with it I guess.

daimahou likes this.
  9. Konradleijon

I think all masks look bad. So that’s my two cents.

10. OverReactionGuy

True. But at least wearing one makes you 100% better than the idiots who go around stores with no mask or any protection on and can't even follow simple directions in the name of social distancing like entering the wrong way in a one way aisle.

11. Konradleijon

I know just don’t try to make them look good.

12. Aleh

Fortunately, you don't wear them to look good. You wear them for safety reasons.

From a purely fashion perspective, reflective work jackets don't look good either. You're a goddamned dangerous idiot if you don't wear them when they're called for, however.

13. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

I dunno what y'all are talking about. Go buy or make masks in fun prints. I got a friend who has one with "Spaceballs: The Facemask" on it. They're the new t-shirt.

14. OverReactionGuy

I think there's hentai masks out like that one infamous shirt someone has now if you want that.

-edit-

You know, the one with all the orgasm faces.

daimahou and Dakkaface like this.
  15. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

Yep. Or you could go with having a single ahegao mouth in the place of your own.

16. OverReactionGuy

Best way to make sure people keep their distance from you really.

17. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

me-meboi likes this.
  18. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

me-meboi and bryanfran36 like this.
  19. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

They noticed maybe once their family and friends, or themselves got on the firing line.

Dumb fucks like these love to trot out "It's not my problem" unless they are affected themselves. Then they go blaming everyone and anything but themselves for the problem.

20. Dnile

Dnile Getting out there.

Welp, Melbourne's introducing a curfew from 8pm to 5am, starting tonight. Lots of other restrictions too, but can't say I'm surprised. Why can people not stay the fuck home?

21. zup

zup Experienced.

Beats me. I find it easy myself. Best of luck in your efforts to teach them though.

22. raven55

raven55 Getting some practice in, huh?

My country got off lucky with Corona Virus, though saying that, there were still 22 deaths attributed to it. Still low all things considered.

23. Konradleijon

24. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Lol, "uniquely American". I'm afraid that while they have a somewhat-disproportionate quantity of this flavour of moron, they're far from having a monopoly on it.

Also, (simple) masks do reduce your oxygen intake - but not by enough to matter for a normal person undertaking normal activities.

25. Konradleijon

• Rule 8 warning. There is no excuse. You will be silenced for a week.
  26. Aleh

Correction: Not enough to matter for an athlete working out. The only way you find evidence of any sort of issue with them is when someone with lung disease wears an N95 respirator or similar for prolonged periods of time.

See here for a bit of an overview.

27. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

There's a lot of "noticeably harder to breathe/feeling lethargic/air hunger" room between "normal" and "actually dangerous". In a smallish room with no ventilation I start feeling the lack of fresh air inside an hour, but ten hours of it still isn't enough to make me pass out.

Vorian likes this.
  28. Aleh

"No ventilation" usually doesn't actually mean no ventilation, and "feeling the lack of fresh air" often doesn't involve actual issues with oxygen/CO2 levels.

Prince Chrom, Xicree and Dakkaface like this.
  29. Aleh

Well, the ongoing cardiology saga has continued. I contacted a (different) cardiologist, got in, and finally saw him. The EKG was normal, so we at least know that I didn't have a heart attack.

Edit: On June 15. Just to remind you of how fucking long it took me to get said EKG following a possible heart attack.

The experience was... interesting. The office was taking what precautions it could, for obvious reasons, and nobody was allowed in without a mask. The staff and the doctor were wearing KN95 masks at all times, and most people had face shields. I felt absolutely terrible for the generally-elderly people who were being forced to wait in the halls, etc.

That leaves the echocardiogram and cardiac stress test for the follow-up... which is where COVID came back into play.

Apparently, they couldn't do a normal cardiac stress test because of COVID. People don't, "for some reason," like trying to run on a treadmill with a mask on. The doctors, meanwhile, don't like the idea of people spewing virus particles all over the area while breathing hard from, well, running on a treadmill.

They have more than enough reason to be worried about this: Apparently, a doctor brought COVID into the diagnostic center a while back, leading to several of the techs getting sick. Fortunately, none of them died.

Thus, they're only doing chemical stress tests now... which is not exactly a good thing. I can't really blame them, but still.

30. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

I failed.

My father is in the hospital fighting for his life and will probably die.

He's been there for more than a week now and I no longer know what to feel.