1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually Lex Luthor doesn't, Lex Luthor thinks Earth Prime is Earth Prime.

It's Paul who said he was probably from there.

However we know what the real Earth Prime is because of Stargirl, and it even has the "can't travel there" barrier that that Earth Prime gained after the Crisis.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and Rockinalice like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's what I said.

Yes and because Luthor thinks Paul's Earth is Earth Prime, then that means he comes from Earth Prime.

Lex apparently couldn't open a portal to there.

Before you say that because the ring was able to get Paul is proof that it isn't Earth Prime, remember that Maltusian tech tends to be godlike in nature and capable of doing things that seem impossible.

And if you're apparently talking about what happened in the Arrowverse, then Zoat can just ignore that if he doesn't like it.

Fanfics tend to be written in part because people don't like what happened in canon.

Earth Prime in the comics was also apparently where the readers of DC comics come from, and Paul comes from such a place.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  3. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

1 isn't a prime number because otherwise you can't have the theorem saying that any integer can be written by decomposing it into a unique product of prime numbers :
    15 = 5 * 3
    48 = 3 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2

If 1 was a prime number, you could infinitely multiply by another 1 :
    4 = 2 * 2 = 2 * 2 * 1 = 2 * 2 * 1 * ... * 1

So to avoid overcomplicating this theorem in order to take 1 as an exception, it's easier to just say 1 isn't a prime number.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It fits the definition of prime number, but doesn't fit the pattern of the other prime numbers, so it isn't a prime number.

Then shouldn't we exclude 2, for being the only even prime number?

5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

He didn't label it. And anyway, Prime can mean a number of things. The Prime could even end up being like the Prime symbol in mathematics, used to denote a derivative. All we really know about labeling different universal branes is that apparently in DC there is a standard notation that can be, and has been, independently derived by sufficiently intelligent people that is consistent across different universes and species, which makes it likely that the number is somehow intrinsic to the universes themselves.

Vorian and Ardy like this.
  6. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

It isn't about fitting a pattern, it's choosing the definition that make for the simpler construction of the various theorems. As I explained, defining 1 as a prime number could work, but would make other things harder to describe.
    Let's say we change the definition so 2 isn't a prime number either. At the first glance it should work too, but then the theorems would need an extra exception stating that they work with prime numbers and 2.

Mathematics are already hard enough to understand (especially very advanced ones), no need to add extra layers of unneeded complexity.

Gilhelmi, Istaran, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  7. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Tiny furniture unequalled in all the realm!

8. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Now I have “browd sword” stuck in my head as the greatest weapon in all the land.

9. Mr Zoat

10. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Who is willing to bet the area they end up in will look like Labyrinth from Worm has been sitting there for hours on a bad day?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I was thinking something more like this:

Considering that OL may be a fan of Patrick Stewart, I really hope he shows up as a spirit guide.

He can act as a Dream Ghost.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  12. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

What? A worshiper - really THE worshiper - of Eris? Disorderly? Surely not.

13. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Did OL's sigils interfere with Fates Anhk door? Because he seems pretty orderly to me. Hierarchy of needs, the way he went about killing Lich fate, starting the Orange Lanterns...

Yes sir, it seems he's pretty orderly to me.

Cuchulin, infinityDivided and Darko like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Key word being 'seems'.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Eris mentioned at Christmas that she actually has a few followers again.

Thana must be busy spreading the Olympian faith across the globe. Eris must be pleased because that is sure to cause more than a bit of Chaos.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If you note, Paul never took off his spell eater.

Sorrow likes this.
  17. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The spell wasn’t ‘teleport to destination’, but rather ‘open portal to destination’. So it wouldn’t matter.

18. awesome

awesome ,,,

Who Is Fate, and does he have something to do with John Constantine? Its been a while since if read this story and I don't remember if it was ever stated?

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

After the whole 'Get Nabu off Zatara' situation, John Constantine held both Klarion's Lord of Chaos status, and the Helmet of Nabu. This Fate is a man named John Quinn, who Constantine gave the helmet to, apparently because he couldn't handle both Order and Chaos. Constantine's current whereabouts are still unknown.
    The wrinkle is that many of us readers believe John Quinn is a Hellblazer character known as 'The Golden Boy', an alternate version of Constantine (or his twin brother, who died in the womb in this universe) who usually got placed as an antagonist for Constantine. Something about a luck-transferring curse tied to both of them which was to blame for Constantine's plans going poorly for everyone but him.
    Why do we think this? Quinn is Constantine's mother's maiden name.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did still pass through a magical portal, so the spell eater may have interfered with the transition, at least a bit.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Idkusername

...Maybe? I don’t think so. The spell eater acts on magic that affects OL, otherwise any magic in his vicinity would be weakened to some degree, and people would have noticed. Ambient magic like that of the voodoo restaurant would have been noticeably affected.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Idkusername

though -> thought

Mr Zoat, Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The magic was technically affecting him, as he was passing through the thing.

After he got his spell eater the defences in Atlantis thought he was a hostile because they couldn't affect him with their spells.

This could be something similar, as the functions of the portal may not fully work when OL is traveling through them.

The portal also seemed to weirdly collapse in a way that I'm not sure was done by John.

He hasn't passed through one of those Order Portals before, so we may not know if it's just his disorderly nature, or any of his equipment at work, or maybe both.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Idkusername

No. Think of it in terms of Magic Resistance from Fate. Spells that act on the environment to produce an effect don’t count, but those that affect the person do. In this case the spell is ‘open gate‘ and maybe ‘maintain gate’. OL isn’t affected by the spell directly.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless another spell is 'protect traveler', which the portal automatically and directly puts on people when they enter it.

It would make sense for the thing to have such a safety measure.

26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Probably "came with" though you could argue "comes with". Also, "HeroQuest".

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI has forgotten that.

28. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

15th April
    08:04 GMT -5

She pulls open the door.

"Sandy? It's Diana."

Because even if he is a sand monster, I'm sure that she stuck in his adolescent mind even if nothing else has.

The.. corridor on the far side is broad, with lines of plinths on either side. Atop each plinth is an object. Some are simple and unremarkable: a three-eyed teddy bear, an unusually large wrench resting atop a thick metal cog and a chocolate cake topped with cherries and a single candle. Others are strange: a worm with no beginning or end, a ray of light with no source and a mobile pile of wood shavings constantly throwing itself against the side of its glass case.

Diana's already strode halfway down the corridor. John steps through the door after her, taking a moment to wave an ankh at the exhibits. He twists his ankh as he passes the shavings, grasping the upright piece and slamming the loop into the case and shattering it. The shavings leap free and flow across the floor, rustling around John and Diana and turning left as they reach the end of the corridor.

John nods. "Kid Flash, I think it's safe enough. Someone's building a temple to their own ego."

I go through next, Wallace just behind me. John's eyes narrow inside his helmet as the door tries to close on us and raises his hands towards it, bringing it to an immediate halt with a golden ankh embossed on the wood.

Diana glances back. "Doctor Fate, do we need to follow that?"

"No, I just don't like seeing it in prison." He turns his attention to me. "Where do you think we should go?"

"This is a dream we have no stake in. We end it." I point to the closest wall. "We smash through there until we hit something important."

He snorts with amusement. "That might work, but there's an easier way."

He brings his hands together in front of him, generates a large ankh and stabs the upright into the floor. Golden light flows away from the point of impact, glowing through the tiny gaps in the brickwork as it spreads throughout the structure.

"Why go to them, when we can bring them to-"

The wall I pointed at explodes! A muscular green-skinned humanoid lunges out of the hole and swings its right fist at John!

"-us?"

Diana's there, blocking the attack with her bracers! The creature hesitates, frowning in apparent surprise that she could stop him. Super strength, probably, and not familiar with Wonder Woman. She takes advantage of the opening to slam her right fist into.. his? Jaw, sending him staggering back.

"Explain yourself, creature! Why have you taken Sandy!?"

"I don't answer to you, Olympian!" He grabs the teddy bear from the plinth and swings it at her, the creature swelling to a huge size and enveloping her. "I don't answer to anyone any more!"

The bear comes to life, bearing down on Diana with soft fur and padding! She can't just smash it aside as it can just soak up her strikes!

"Dreamkin." John raises his arms at it but doesn't hit it yet. "You shouldn't be up and about by yourself."

"I can if I can."

Wallace crouches slightly to prepare to throw himself into the fray but I shake my head and point to the hole. He nods, then dashes through with me flying quickly after him.

On the other side there's a.. black abyss, with only a narrow stretch of floor between exit and entry point. We both pass through it in a moment, coming out into… A richly-appointed throne room. There are two thrones on a dais, one intended for a large humanoid while the other is a sort of.. high chair. It's occupied by a… Squig with arms? The other points of interest in the room are two large glass cases, one occupied by a writhing pile of sand and the other occupied by… A Star Hunter with grey skin matching the tone of Melinoë's skin.

"How'd you get in-?"

A mage slayer round punches through each glass enclosure, sand spilling out at once. The starfish settles for glaring monoptically at me.

"Hey, cut that out!"

"Ah." Wallace slows to a stop and the sand begins piling up. "Sandy, right? Sanderson Hawkins? We haven't met, but-."

The sand clenches, shrinking down slightly as it takes humanoid shape. No, not 'humanoid'. Human, a slightly older copy of Sandy, outline of his dodgy costume and all. Rendered in sand of course; no colour other than browney-yellow. Still, that suggests purpose which means that he isn't mindless.

"Flash."

"Kid Flash, but, yeah. Ah, hi?"

"EXCUSE ME!" The squig rises up on its weirdly thin legs and waves a whistle in its right hand. "No one breaks into my house and BREAKS MY PROPERTY!"

He moves the whistle to his lips and I tear it from his hand with a construct.

He blows his fingers, then realises that something isn't right.

"Huh?"

"Sandy, who is this?"

"Thut-." His throat shifts as he tries to regain the ability to enunciate. "That is Glob. It's some sort of dream… Creature."

"Good show. Brand."

"What-?"

The filament tags him in the forehead, and… I feel little to no resistance as I take control and… Change his operating desire from 'create hoard from the dreams of everyone he can reach' to 'release everything he's taken, then report to Morpheus'.

"Ah, hey, I made this potion." Wallace holds it out to Sandy. "I'm.. not sure what's going on, but it should help with the 'sand monster' thing."

Sandy grimaces.

"I had to learn how to control a body made of sand. I was never a monster."

"Ah." Wallace's eyes widen slightly for a moment. "Okay. I don't.. really know.. what to say-."

A three-eyed teddy head flies through the gap in the wall and hits Melinoë's container.

"If he doesn't need it, could you give it to her?" I nod at the starfish. "She appears to be stuck."

The eye narrows as Diana drags the green fellow through the hole, bound in her lasso.

"Sandy." She lands, looking him over. "You're alive."

"W-wonder Woman?" He shakes his head. "How.. long was I in..?"

Lasso wrapped around her left forearm she walks forward and embraces him. He doesn't hug her back, instead remaining in the exact posture he occupied before she touched him.

"Ah." Wallace stands in front of Star Melinoë. "Do you have a mouth..?"

She turns-. And she's got the small Star Conqueror's toothy mouth on her reverse surface. Wallace cautiously leans into her enclosure and pours his potion into it, her teeth clacking together in response. A healing potion shouldn't do much to an Olympian, but combined with a little dream dust…

Her outer surface undulates for a moment and then snaps back into the form I know.

Okay, Sandy and Melinoë rescued, two Dreamkin in temporary custody before we hand them over to Morpheus. I think this mission is complete, though Sandy will need a lot of help in the next few months and I want to talk to Melinoë about what just happened.

Then the squig claps its hands and the room around us evaporates.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The spell eater isn't selective, any magic effecting him get's eaten by it, which includes magically formed portals.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'it upright'

'in person'

Sandy could potentially get help from Rama Khan on how to better control his state.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Chaoswind likes this.