1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, he comments in other fics fairly regularly - including NSFW ones - mostly the ones with actual plot lines though, as far as I can tell.

zerofarad likes this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Ah yes, the curse of the SI fic.

If you write them as reacting calmly to the situation, you get called completely unrealistic.

If you write them as properly panicking, you get rants upon rants about that...

Wetbananas, topin89, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's this fic on SB called Ringwraith where the SI freaks out that she's a black lantern.

Several of the readers complained about it only for the author to point out that her freaking out that she's in what is essentially a death world with a ring connected to a monster, Nekron, and being removed from her world, as well as being dead, is a very good reason for her to be freaking out.

BR549, Ardy, infinityDivided and 2 others like this.
  4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm torn between wanting the Knight to stick around for the sheer hilarity and wanting him to just shut up and go away.

5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You are welcome.

Idkusername likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Theory for this episode:

It's going to involve Apokalips.

The title is Otherworld, which is connected to the Celtic gods, and that cult that used the Anti Life equation was stealing those weird statues, of which at least one was of Cernunnos, the Celtic God of the Hunt.

The Apokaliptuans may be trying to gain a foothold into some of the divine realms connected to the Earth.

The only comic I remember featuring the Celtic gods was this n52 one where Wonder Woman and Batman help some of them.

Cuchulin and RichardWhereat like this.
  7. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

Paul against Apokolips? Could actually result in a climatic battle at the end this time. Curse of the long developed and powerful SI aside, he shouldn't be too much stronger than any Apokoliptian New God. Though, it has been quite a while since he did last fight them.

Jaron, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Several characters have compared him to a New God, and Canis once said that he was a powerful one, so if it is them he may fight a member of their Elite.

Jaron, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  9. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I'm actually pretty sympathetic to Mallobaude, both here and in canon. Guy turns down something he has sought his entire life on a matter of principle and sticks to his (metaphorical) guns, even when that takes him to a dark place (Mousillon is not a place of sunshine and puppies).

I really hope we see he and Paul talking in a less...confrontational fashion. Mallobaude is someone I'd ask to have at my back come hell or high water.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The two do apparently talk sometime in the future, where Paul helps him with his crisis.

Ardy likes this.
  11. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

One thing confusing to me about Warhammer Lantern is that in all the other settings, the SI has had knowledge of that particular fictional universe wiped from his minds. So for instance, Paragon knows about DC comics characters in general, but not the world of the Young Justice cartoon in particular.

So why does he seem to know all about Warhammer Fantasy?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There have been various versions that he may have some general knowledge of the Fantasy setting, just not the specific one he is in.

13. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Than.

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Multiple editions.

15. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

He's using ring translation. "Mon-keigh" -> "beings lesser than elves" -> some appropriate Elven word (for the dark elves) or not-found, use-phonetic-approximation (for the Knight).

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You realize that various Paul's have gone around brainwashing people for much more petty reasons?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The only version of Paul I remember brainwashing people for petty reasons is Tangseid.

The others who did it were paragon and Fantasy Paul, and both altered the mindsets of utter monsters, Mammon and the psychopathic elves, to turn them into reasonable and relatively sane people.

That's not exactly comparable to the ISA's desire to brainwash millions of innocent people because they want power.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Ardy, infinityDivided and protoss16 like this.
  18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I truly pity any Paul that got sent to Age of Sigmar.....well...a Red Ring might be right at home in that mess.

Darko and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

22nd April 2012
    11:31 GMT -5

Ted's grinning as he points to the whistle held in the vice.

"To put it simply: it puts people to sleep."

Huh.

No, no, that actually makes a good deal of sense. The Dreamkin were stealing objects from dreams and using Sandy's connection to the Dreaming to keep them existing in the waking world. If we assume that they used other people prior to him… Or just knocked people out to take their dreams at times of their own convenience, it would make a lot of sense for them to prioritise that sort of artefact.

"For… How long?"

"Until they wake up. We've been able to wake up our volunteers after about a minute, and no one's stayed asleep more than nine hours. All the tests we've done on brain waves, blood chemistry… Everything, shows the sleep itself is completely mundane. But… It's the whistle, not the sound. We've replicated the sound, played recordings… It doesn't work. And our magic people can't make sense of it either."

"No. It's a dream manifestation, not an enchanted object. They've probably never seen one before. Dream magic isn't really.. studied in Atlantis."

Because it's a pain to study and because as of a little while ago King Orin accepted the fait accompli and recognised Venturia's independence, meaning that they're not part of Atlantis any longer. Though Cyprian did agree to open his city to trade with the other city states, so… Really, the rest of Atlantis is getting more out of the place now than they have for decades.

"So… Someone dreamed about a whistle that could put people to sleep, and this is it?" He regards it with a frown. "It can't be that easy."

"No, it's more like… This object is an archetype that people dream about, and they're all dreaming about this."

"And now they can't, because it's here? Are we gunna get in trouble with Morpheus about that?"

"We've all slept at least once since we acquired it. He's spoken to Glob, so he knows we've got it. If he had a problem with it, we'd definitely know about it by now."

He nods, his momentary concern being overshadowed by his fascination with his new toy.

"It works on insomniacs, too. I mean, we haven't tested it on people with actual neurological disorders-. Is that safe?"

"It should be, but I can't give you any guarantees. It should just do what it does, but… There could be just about any other effects."

"And we can't exactly just call Morpheus up and ask him about it."

"Actually, we can. He's not a demon so there aren't really any laws against it. He can just decide not to answer. Just asking him to put in an appearance shouldn't… Bother him. Or we can ask Melinoë, or find someone who knows how to dream lucidly… There are options."

"Is it possible to make more of them?" I raise my eyebrows. "Sure, it's not hurricane control, but we could put every sleep aid manufacturer out of business. And it would make a pretty good low-lethality weapon."

"I have no idea. I.. doubt it, and… It'll be years at least before we know enough about how the Dreaming works to do it… 'Digitally'."

"So we gotta talk to Morpheus."

"If you think this is worth pursuing right now."

He thinks for a moment, then sags slightly. "I wanna say 'yes'… But I don't think it is. Not right now. Not with the healing ray roll-out coming up, and the earthquake control systems and the water purifiers…"

"No need to sound so disappointed. You're doing better than STAR Labs managed."

"But it's just all so great! We're making more progress on this stuff than I expected to for decades! Sometimes I have to pinch myself-. Oh."

"Oh?"

"Speaking of things I can't believe are happening to me… I got a date."

"You're good company, rich, and passably attractive. It's not that weird. Did Io say 'yes', or-."

He winces, shaking his head.

"Oh… God no. Turns out? Most Amazons are gay."

"I honestly hadn't spotted that."

"Yeah… Well… You think… 'Okay, they haven't seen a man in three thousand years, maybe they're curious'. And… They're not. Not in a million-. Ah, three thousand years."

"I may not live in New York, but I have heard the stories."

And attended the court hearings. Honestly, those are usually more the Amazon's fault than those of the men -and it virtually always is men- they get into fights with. They think they're ready, we try to ease them in gradually, then they encounter men in the wild and they all too often don't react well.

We haven't had a maternity lawsuit yet, and if incidents so far are anything to go by we don't have anything to worry about.

"And I like Io. We have a lot in common. But she wasn't picking up on my signals, and when I asked about it… She didn't even recognise what I was doing. And she was pretty direct about not being into men. So that was a bust. But I got talking to Tia Sivana and she asked me out."

Considering what she was doing this time last year…

"Did she.. mention-?"

"Yeah, I know, it's her family day and she wants to be able to pretend that she's got a social life… Which I can relate to. But she's brilliant-."

"And about a decade younger than you."

"Sure, but it's not like I lie about my age."

Y-eah.

"Not since I could buy alcohol legally, anyway. And you can't tell me that she's not mature enough to make her own decisions."

"No, I… Suppose I can't."

"You went with her last year, right?" I nod. "What's it..? Like?"

"It's a sealed artificial habitat on a death world. As automated as a family of technological and scientific geniuses can make it. Venus is a very nice woman-. You know Beautia only took me because she finds dealing with her siblings extremely trying, right?"

"I didn't think Magnificus was that bad. But just in case, I've read up on his work enough that I should be able to stroke his ego."

"Okay, and what about Thaddeus and Georgia?"

He pales slightly. "They're gunna be there?"

"It's a family day, and they haven't committed any crimes on Venus."

"Oh. And her… Will her.. father be there?"

"Probably. But there's a truce, so he probably won't do anything."

"Huh." He thinks for a moment. "You know, I read up on his stuff, too. You were right; it's a real shame no one took him up on it before he… You know, went-"

"Supervillain."

"-crazy. Can I..? Talk about that with him?"

"I wouldn't start with that, but yes. He doesn't care what anyone outside of his family thinks about him." He nods, risking a small smile. "It's the younger siblings you should be worried about. Has Beautia told you about the possumizer?"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  20. Mr Zoat

I pity the people who play the damned game.

21. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

So Georgia invited Dox right?

Did he say yes? He may actually decide to make time to meet Georgia's entire family and see if they're all as amazing as she is.

22. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

its pretty good but it is forever associated with the death of the old world. thankfully they are bringing it back. kinda was hopping this would be an update on the previous warhammer fantasy interlude.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'than'

'They've'

Maybe you can make it 'we have'.

I know it's just a shortened way of saying we have, but it sounds kinda weird.

Wow, you really know how to give compliments.

You don't get to criticize others for that anymore.

I can't wait until the others discover his real age!:D

He should be fine if he goes there.

He's highly intelligent, scientifically inclined and has experience with insane and evil families and parents, seeing as he was basically raised/experimented on by his insane and evil father/genetic template.

For that whistle thing maybe they can ask Hypnos, the Greek God of Sleep, for help.

They already have Melinoe giving people nightmares so it isn't out of the realm of possibility they can have Hypnos put people to sleep.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

The diversion to King Orin accepting Venturia's independence seems to be a non-sequitur. What does that have to do with why dream magic isn't studied in Atlantis?

Cuchulin, NightmareWarden and Relyt33 like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL asked them to help him with studying the Dreaming and how it connects to the material universe and the magic in it, so they probably know at least a bit more compared to the rest of Atlantis when it comes to the Dreaming.

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Atlantis no longer has enough free magicians to study other things. That's part of what opening Venturia is about.

Cuchulin, zerofarad, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

They’re all gonna die and Paul isn’t gonna be there to save them is he?

gustyeagle and RichardWhereat like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    To be grudgingly fair, I'm mostly familiar with the early access version, which ignored bases for working out how close models were to each other and didn't have point values. I could have lived with Sigmarines, but I'm still not happy about regiments and defensive WS being done away with.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

The Sivanas have been preparing for the Sheeda, so they most likely have all sorts of defences set up, and they probably have a communicator to call in Paul.

30. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

So. Odds that Georgia's going to show up as a hottie to rival her sister? It sounded like she was on the fence for a while and the last talk with MC swayed her.