1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Thanks.

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I think that today Far Cry 3 was the series' magnum opus. Jason was an interesting deconstruction of the "mighty whitey" action hero protagonist, Vaas was a great villain, the Himalayas were neat but I refer the tropical island setting and Colorado gets a resounding meh from me. The Ubisoft Towers were lame, yeah, but at the time they were still relatively new were lame, yeah, but at the time they were still relatively new and in my own opinion hadn't gotten stale yet.

Anonnermus and Velk like this.
  3. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I can't believe it. The ancient curse has been broken. Hydroid Prime finally got his own trailer.

4. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

It's been 3000 thousand years. I gave up hope that they would make any more prime trailers.

5. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

And we got Mechs to pilot to boot. Sure, they are only double the height of a human, but they are mechs. And Deimos is inhabited by Servo-Skulls.

6. Anonnermus

Anonnermus UnDedicated Lurker

Anyone happen to pick up Nioh 2’s DLC?

They’ve got a new version of the umibozu that’s not nearly as much of a bitch as the first game (thanks to burst counters and the lack of holes in the arena) a new weapon and three new ninjutsu so far.

The splitstaff is an interesting little thing that allows you to modify each hit by holding the attack button a moment longer, heavy combos typically get a longer reach while fast combos spin for multiple hits.

They’re kinda demented and are very much my new favorite weapon.

The new ninjutsu are three new elemental attacks, similar to the horoka grass items. Haven’t used them yet myself but they seem useful.

”What about the story?” You may or may not ask: time travel to meet some Yoshitsune dude who wields your own super special immortality sword and kills everyone he doesn’t like in the name of peace, like all the other Japanese warlords.
    top tier truly gripping

TheLastNanaya, Melmar and Derek58 like this.
  7. EternalQuietus

EternalQuietus Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

That new Warframe location is good inspiration for Tyranid worlds. I wonder how much difference the color eye thing of the worms is going to make to the map, though.

Rekka and Rakdos92 like this.
  8. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

I get what they were going for with the staff, all them spins are probably great for applying statuses, but it's not really my bag. Or at least, it's technical enough that I don't really feel like trying that hard to get the hang of it.

I was kinda hopin' for some better new yokai than monkey reskins, Umi-boztwo: The Oh Not Againening, and giant enemy crabs. Nupepoppepopopoeppeopoepos or whatever were neat tho. Gross but, neat.

On the story, I did some research beforehand and that was pretty much exactly what I expected it was gonna be. Gonna go out on a limb and say the final bosses of the next DLC is probably gonna be
    Taira no Masakado. I considered that Otakemaru at the height of his power might be the final boss of the final DLC but, that would introduce a potential new plot hole in him not recognizing Hide. Although, I suppose he could simply have forgotten what they looked like over the centuries and only recognized them as he was dying for good.

Not that it would stop them even if he did remember. :V

Malcolmo and Anonnermus like this.
  9. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Doe anybody here on QQ play Elder Scrolls online? Steam is having a sale on Bethesda games and I ended up buying the main game and it's DLC pretty cheap and now I'm just waiting for it to install before I start playing.

10. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Just got an update regarding the HD Remaster of Nocturne, and it turns out the meme isn't dead. Dante, fully voiced will be made available as a DLC to replace Raido if you so chose. Now the only thing they need to do is bake Pierce into his Son's Oath ability as they did for Raido and that is an easy day one buy for. E.

11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I heard they added that he would get Pierce too (Dante was damaging a foe that should absorb Physical in the trailer), so already done.

Garlandknight likes this.
  12. Garlandknight

Garlandknight Happiest Arbites

My wallet is ready.

13. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

>DLC for a character that was already in the original
    What the fuck? What's next, "Experience the original difficulty" dlc? "Babby's first steps" dlc?

wayne82444 likes this.
  14. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

However, there was a special edition that made Raido take his place. He may have been in the original but he also wasn't int he previous edition.

Anyway, dude. Odds are this is free DLC.

-edit-

If it was paid for day 1 bullshit DLC I understand why you would be upset.

15. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Alright, I will wait and see.

16. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

I don't really know why you quoted me for this...?

17. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

There were 3 separate editions of Nocturne. The original which only released in Japan, The Manix Edition that besides being released intentionally added new demons, the Alma Labernith, Dante and the True Demon Ending, and finally the Japanese only Chronicles edition that was a Special Edition Bonus for Devil Summoner 2 where alongside various updates replaced Dante with Raido.

From the sounds of things, the Remaster is using the Chronicles edition as the source code as that would be the most up to date version, but given how close it is to the Manix/International version, it would be easy to add Dante in as DLC. Hopefully they do what Ryu Ga Gotuko Studios did with Fist of the North Star's Kiryu DLC and make it a timed free release for early buyers.

Mistake on my part, but with you on that point. Particularly after Sega confirmed that with the success of the PC port of Persona 4 The Golden, they would like to do more remasters and ports of older PS2 and PS3 era games.

18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Quite frankly, paid DLC for Dante was to be expected. Like it or not, Dante license means Atlus need to pay Capcom to have him in Nocturne again. So no, it's not just about Atlus being greedy.

19. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

I do on an off, currently off mostly due to not having the drive.

20. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

AllyDoodle

I guess no one here is interested in ES online, mate.

Sorry.

:confused:

21. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

It's cool. I didn't end up liking it much anyway.

Back to Skyrim it is then!

Renko likes this.
  22. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

:D

giodan, Rakdos92 and Marix Reaver like this.
  23. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I just started playing Tera again and man I'd forgotten how much the Elin creep me the fuck out. I (think) they are supposed to be adults, but the fact they look like children just takes them too into the into the uncanny valley for my liking. That aside, I like the fact that not only is the game a lot more newb friendly compared to other MMORPGs, you can do a good chunk of the content by yourself without having to spend hours looking for other players to team up with.

The super fanservicey outfits are a big plus too. :D

24. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Alicesoft's new game, Dohna Dohna Issho ni Warui Koto o Shiyou, got a trailer!

official website: https://www.alicesoft.com/dohnadohna/

It looks so hot and cool!

I hope it gets an english translation some day....

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  25. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

bit of a random question but do balder's gate 1 & 2 still hold up after all these years. I've never played them but I heard they were really good and I've been getting more into D&D lately so I thought I might give them a shot.

26. Valikdu

Valikdu Not too sore, are you?

Well, it's hard to not to "hold up" if so few comparable things have been made over these years.

I've wanted to recomment BIG WORLD Setup for a convenient all-in-one modded installation of BG, but I've just found that it has been discontinued :/ Anyone know if it's still useable?

27. searcher8

searcher8 Are you trying to harden my Nanomachines Son?

I'd say yes. There are some minor issues, like how unit pathfinding is... less than good if you have them try to move longer distances without micromanaging them, and how it relies on D&D Second Edition/Advanced Dungeons And Dragons rules, which can be a bit confusing to those more used to later editions, since there are several mechanics* that have changed drastically over the years, but the games themselves are still pretty damn good.

I will note however that both games are significantly harder and much more unforgiving than just about any other RPG that Bioware has released since. Mostly due to how it handles combat and characters reaching zero HP in a fight. You see, in later Bioware games such as Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age if a character is knocked down to zero in a fight, they're just knocked unconscious, and will get back up with one HP after the fight's over, with the player not getting a game over unless the entire party is killed. Baldur's Gate does not do that. Instead, if one of your party members reaches zero HP, they are dead, which means two things: a) you have to go to the nearest temple and pay about 500 gold in order to resurrect your companion**, and b) you have to deal with their inventory. Yep, you see, unlike other Bioware games, instead of having the inventory be a collective pool of items, Baldur's Gate's inventory is sorted based on which party member is carrying what items, and a character's max equipment load is also based on their strength score. If say, Minsc dies fighting an Ankheg, not only do you have to worry about seeing if the other five guys in your group have enough slots in their inventory to carry his gear, you also need to worry about if they'll actually be strong enough to carry that set of plate armor and the two handed greatsword Minsc was probably using. Thankfully, loot items on the ground do not despawn under any circumstances, so as long as you remember exactly where it was, there's nothing stopping you from leaving, getting Minsc resurrected at the nearest town, and then going back to where he died so Minsc can pick up his gear again, but it's definitely something that I'm sure catches a lot of players off guard the first time they try the BG games if they were mostly used to Jade Empire/KotOR/Dragon Age/Mass Effect before then.

And then there's also the other aspect about why Baldur's Gate's combat is so unforgiving. You know how I pointed out how in most modern Bioware games (Mass Effect being the only major exception) you only get a game over if the entire party dies? Yeah, that's not how Baldur's Gate does things. Instead, that game over happens the moment the player character is knocked to zero HP, regardless of how much health the rest of the party has. This is especially nasty in the first game due to you starting at first level, and especially if you're playing a Mage or Sorcerer, since the low HP that those classes get means that for a minimum of 1/3 of Baldur's Gate 1, you will be at a point where getting hit once can potentially lead to a game over if you're not careful, or an enemy gets a lucky crit on you. Thankfully, this is downplayed in the sequel, since you start that game at 10th level, but the game is still unforgiving if you fuck up. What I'm saying is be prepared to spam the quick save key like a motherfucker, and make sure you go in the options menu to select the "Fully Heal At End of Rest" feature. You will thank me for it. Trust me.

Now that said, I do not consider the fact that the games as a whole are quite a bit harder than later Bioware games to be either inherently good, or inherently bad, but it's still something worth noting all the same. Though I think it says a lot about the state of the RPG market in the late 90s when despite everything I said above, the first game was actually praised for being easy, and friendly to beginners, something that makes me shudder to think what the other RPGs released around that time were like.

But, on the subject of the good stuff, and and without spoiling anything related to the plot, I will say that Baldur's Gate's writing and dialogue are still top notch to this day, and for an RPG released in the 90s (okay, technically BG2 came out in 2000, but you know what I mean), the voice acting is nothing short of phenomenal. I'm serious. David Warner's performance as Jon Irenicus, the main villain of the second game, is so good that I still consider it to be the gold standard of villain voice acting in any medium, video game or otherwise, to this very day. The only thing I will say is that if you do get the Enhanced Editions, make sure you get the mod that restores to original FMV animated videos of the first game, instead of the shitty motion comics the first game's enhanced edition used. Just compare the original version of the intro cutscene of Baldur's Gate 1 to the downright flaccid Enhanced Edition version. In Beamdog's defence, I understand why the cutscene downgrade happened (basically, their offices got flooded, and their copies of the original cutscenes were destroyed in the process), but yeah, just use the mod that restores the original cutscenes. Especially since without it, there are a number of cutscenes (such as the ones that play when you first visit Beregost, Nashkel, and the Friendly Arm Inn) that straight up do not apear in the unmodded version of the Enhanced Edition. On the plus side, this is not an issue that affects the Enhanced Edition of the second game, and I can confirm from personal experiance that the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate 2 uses the same cutscenes as the original.

*Most notably things like how Armor Class works in literally the opposite way that it does in 3rd edition D&D and later (expect to say "What the fuck is THACO!?" at least once), the fact that martial classes have to level up their proficiency in different weapon types to determine how effective they are at using them, and most egregiously, the fact that certain classes cannot be chosen by certain races, all of which are things that Bioware took from AD&D. I can't really blame Bioware for that, since AD&D was the most recent edition of the game at the time, but all the same, even if Baldur's Gate has aged pretty well, AD&D as a system most certantly has not.

** Technically at later stages in the game if you have a cleric in the party, they can cast Raise Dead as well, but that's not really going to be a factor for 95% of BG1, since a cleric needs to be level 10 to cast it, when the first game's Level Cap is also 10. It's a lot more common in BG2 though, due to that game's higher level cap.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Biofan09, Anonnermus, Ohmrond and 7 others like this.
  28. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Recently a game titled Genshin Impact caught my attention. It's made by same people who created Honkai Impact 3rd.

It's a free 3D open world game with gatcha, co op, that will be available on PC, IOS, Android and PS4, cross platform play but no cross platform save available. Game will a have global release on September 28th. there's a Pre registration campaign for anyone interested.

It's sparked some controversy because stylistically game resemble Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I heard that some Zelda fan smashed PS4 Pro on public event as form of protest.

If Genshin is clone of Zelda then Nintendo doesn't have any issue with this because Switch version was also announced to be in the works and will be out couple months after global release.

Honestly people are kinda unaware that BotW is kida also stealing lots of ideas from other open world games like clone of Assassin Creed or Shadow or Mordor etc. So personally I really don't see issue here.

Anyways anyone else here is also planning to give it a try?

I will because i Don't have BotW so it would be nice to get to experience something similar. Also characters you can roll for look quite nice. More wil be added together with new regions to explore as new story arcs will be added to the game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of them are free and blonde boy in upper right and blonde girl in lower row second from the left are MC option and multiverse traveling twins. Player chose at start of the game which gender they want to play as and opposite gender twin get kidnapped, and saving them becomes become our main goal.

29. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I had been watching for the release actually, though I had forgotten about it. How do you get it on PC?

Bacon_commando and Velk like this.
  30. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I'm sorry, where exactly is the similarity? Blonde, what else? It sounds dumb.