1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. RedX

RedX Not too sore, are you?

The Electoral College (and the US Constitution in general) is what happens when a bunch of educated elite guys whose entire history with democratic governance is a mish-mash of English Common Law and half-correct, half-fictionalized histories of Athens and the Roman Republic, all try to put together a democratic republic from scratch. Nobody had done anything like this, on this scale, in something like two millennia- the best they had was literally ancient history, some half-baked enlightenment philosophy, and a few city-state republics of wildly varying outcome.

So, when they sat down to write this whole thing out, they sort of threw everything and the kitchen sink in. Proportional representation, jurisdictional representation, divided powers between national and state, a really vague court system that later ended up defining itself into relevance, etc. etc. They were also quite concerned about their revolution going the way of Oliver Cromwell's, a rather immediate case study that did not turn out particularly well for the revolutionaries.

It's no wonder there was a bunch of stuff in there that later democratic governments decided to skip.

Still, the electoral college does retain one modern function: it's a weighting function on state's votes, giving slightly more power to the less-populous states. In this it serves much like the Senate as a balancing factor against pure majoritarianism.

3. Mr Zoat

I have been told that answering this last point would definately violate the 'no modern politics' ban, so I won't.

4. RedX

RedX Not too sore, are you?

Eh, no worries. The fact that it serves that function is simple knowledge; whether that's a good or bad thing would definitely get into political territory.

Either way, it's definitely a strange critter among modern democracies, like several things the US does. Note that, even when the US advises new foreign governments in "how do you democracy", we usually end up pointing towards a parliamentarian system instead of our own. Always the exception- whether it's because it's exceptional, the exception that proves the rule, or just exceptionally silly is a matter for taste and debate.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

This is not true. Plato hated democracy because he was butthurt over democracy killing his teacher/crush/idol Socrates. Even then, late in his life he mellowed out and admitted that his Republic was actually a terrible idea.

The one dialogue which definitely represents Socrates's views faithfully rather than using Socrates as a mouthpiece for Plato's opinions is The Trial and Death of Socrates. In it, Socrates refuses to go into exile, which his friends and students can arrange and the government makes no attempt to prevent, because he believes in the legitimacy of Athenian government and in 'taking your lumps', even when the de jure sentence (death by hemlock) was not the de facto sentence that the court assumed it was imposing (exile). Socrates was very strongly pro-democracy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

to actually effect change

I will never pass up the opportunity to point out when effect sh0uld be used as a verb (or affect as a noun)

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ah, ninja'd.

It's not about the number, it's about...
    ... this. Needing it to be people instead of just a conclusion was a technical implementation detail to account for how long it would take the answer to get from the state to the seat of government, and one of the hypothetical possibilities under consideration that made the founders not make it a requirement for the electors to be legally bound to their elected stance was the possibility that circumstances would change between the time that the votes were counted in the state and the time that the electors met to cast the deciding vote. Some examples might be if one of the candidates were to suddenly pass away or commit some heinous act in that interim period; the founders wanted the electors to have the flexibility to adapt to represent what their constituents would have wanted in such a circumstance.

To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened, and that motivating factor has been obsolete since it became possible for information to travel across the continent in a reasonable amount of time.

There's still an argument for the same apportionment rules to apply in an information age society, as has been mentioned. Some things are better expressed as weighing the interests of regions against each other instead of weighing the interests of individual people against each other. It's the entire reason the Senate and the House use different apportionment rules. (After all, food producers necessarily represent a smaller fraction of the population than food consumers while needing a proportionally larger amount of land area per capita. A strict population-based apportionment might discriminate against food producers in a way that would be bad for society as a whole.)

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  8. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

ORIGINALLY, the idea was that the electoral college would make sure that educated people were the ones making the final decision due to the lack of easy communication and lack of universal education back then. Whether it has its own merits nowadays or not is besides the point as to why it was created.

9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That and the USA was set up as a Republic where only White men with enough money to own some land could vote. Also upper class men from the southern colonies like Washington and Jefferson usually fancied them selves landed gentry. Also it was all part of a balancing act to keep anyone state from having to much influence over the central government.

No, Socrates wasn't pro-Democracy. He was a more or less pro-Spartan conservative as were a lot of his students, it is know that young men of a similar background formed gang the went around dressed up as Spartans (or at least what they thought Spartans dressed) and went around causing trouble. Also we know that at least (i think two) of the Tyrannical Oligarch alliances that took over Athens by force during Socrates adult hood had former students of his and it's well known that he was ordered by those Oligarchs (including a student of his) to go home, stay there and stop causing trouble by "philosophizing" in public. Which he did or at east kept his head down enough that he wasn't executed for being a huge pain in the back side by the Oligarchs.
    Also Socrates main shtick (at least in Plato's dialogs) was question things, question the answers you get and keep going until you have made the person you are talking to look like an idiot by twisting their words.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  10. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

What was the point of this chapter? I appreciate that not every chapter in a free web serial needs to have a point necessarily. It could just be amusing for the writer to write, however it is quite boring to have the basics of the American electoral system explained in this fic again. And it is skirting pretty close to the no politics rule which seems like an unnecessary risk for a chapter that has no immediate impact on the renegade story.

Are we likely to see Luna make any decisions in the future using this new knowledge? If so what do we think those might be? She thinks that the American government is bad because leaders cannot survive making highly unpopular decisions, fair enough, what was the reason Celestia released what she thought was an undying evil on her own populace, I don't think this fic has brought it up?

Wetbananas likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat was just baiting people and the mods after he got a warning for that thing in sex ed policies.

Celestia may have decided to release Discord because she wanted to reform him, plus at least then they wouldn't need to lock him up again, which may be extremely difficult, if he escapes again.

They may not be able to kill him and the next time he escaped there may not have been any Element bearers to imprison him.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Vaermina and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

I hope that isn't the case. I totally understand rankling at mod interference especially in something that isn't considered politics in England but is elsewhere, we've been through this from SB and SV and everything but to hold the quality of ones work (the prime reason one would care about mod interference in the first place) to hostage would be sad. There are a lot of lurkers who have not interacted beyond reading the fic who would be punished if the fic becomes a pseudo-battlefield for complaining about outside interference to say nothing of the fic having to move again.

I used to love this fic for its ability to maintain pacing over an absurdly long wordcount but I don't know if I would keep reading if tangents become more of the focus. I probably would, the sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug as any soap opera writer would tell you, but it would be sad.

Wetbananas, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given that was the exact same thing he did on SV, you probably aren't wrong.

14. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Are you blind? This is an update om the D plot of the renegade timeline with the incoming US election, the last thing that happened was that Shade high command turned traitor and was trying to replace Horne and Knight with robots... In the renegade timeline this failed... On paragon... Who knows.

Ardy, Ngamer11 and Istaran like this.
  15. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

If he was a pro-Spartan conservative, then why didn't he take the abundant opportunities to leave Athens when he was sentenced to death? Everything you say is circumstantial, and his actions don't match it. He was a gadfly, edgelord, and general little bitch, and if many of his students were as well that wouldn't be surprising and would explain the Spartan costume stuff. Also remember that he primarily defined himself in opposition to the sophists, who were even more closely associated with the Oligarchs.

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

No, politics would be if he was talking about current politics events or if the two fictional candidates were too similar to the two current candidates.

If he was talking about Nixon it would be historical because he is long dead.

Explaining the flaws in the systems can get political but only if you use it to attack politicians.

-Deleted-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2020
    protoss16 and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

That's what I though, but it turns out that's wrong.
    Now, I'd think that if some people were acting up in a discussion that didn't otherwise break any rules, the thing to do would be to warn/thread ban those individuals. But clearly whatever dispute happened here prior to my arrival was such a big deal that that approach was abandoned.

18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I'm just going to stop you here and quote this.

19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Because he wanted his death to be a big F you to Athenian Democracy, Athens was his home and also why would he want go else where? It's unlikely that other cities would allow him to be a gadfly and another dialect of Greek could make it harder for him to use his little tricks to twist others words.
    Also Sparta as a idea was pretty popular with the Classical Greeks as they were badasses that were seen as being more "Greek" in some ways then most other Greeks. They were seen as up holding traditions and traditional virtues as Greek culture at the time mostly favored their aristocratic traditions, the "Greek bible" and the books everyone read as part of their education were the works of Homer.
    Lastly while he may have defined himself in opposition to the sophists, they were a group/school of thought that was more or less popular. Socrates was just one guy that was a pain in the ass and who was closely linked to Alcibiades (A Athenian general who was blamed for a bunch of things including the failure of a attack on Sicilians. He defected to Sparta and later the Persians.) who was not only a leader of the Thirty Tyrants, a group of Oligarchs backed by Sparta that had recently been over thrown when Socrates was put on trial, but he had helped organize a short lived Tyrannical Oligarchy known as the Four Hundred. The Athenian play write and poet Critias, cousin of Plato, was also a member of the Thirty and a former student of Socrates
    My sources are what i remember from reading I.F. Stone's book The Trail of Socrates, various other books about Ancient Greece, Ancient history, Documentaries about Sparta and Ancient Greece on Youtube as well as a check of Wikipedia.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  20. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

How did the discussion on rule 8 start?

21. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

See the latest chapter, quite a few posters that read it had the immediate reaction of wondering about rule 8. Though it was also an extension of the discussion wondering if sex education ran afoul of the rule a bit back.

protoss16 likes this.
  22. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

"Effect change" is a more common idiom but both are viable here: are we bringing about change (effect) or altering change which is already underway (affect)?

(Well, in practice presumably both, but which do you prefer to emphasize?)

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat could have made an update on that particular plot point without getting close to violating rule 8.

Vaermina likes this.
  24. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, the one in the story is right. "Affect" is a verb, "effect" is a noun in these cases. If you can affect something you can see the effect you had on it after c:

25. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I, personally, don't think that the story post is violating any rule precisely. Grayven, the Renegade and a character in the story, is just sharing information and a bit of his opinion with his magical equine girlfriend, on political matters of the fictional setting which, yes, mimics RL but doesn't specifically references it nor does he advocates for a position one way or the other.

The problem is that then everyone wants to share an opinion and start a debate on it, maybe with good intentions, maybe to expand on the obviously incomplete information that the character has or maybe because they disagree with the opinion on the character. And that almost always gets close to the rules, because the debaters never seem to just take a step back and let it go. We are, after all, in the internet.

I simply advocate for letting the matter go. It is a small sub-plot of the Renegade storyline because he got involved in politics and is helping Luna in political matters in Wilson as well. But do we have to debate on politics just because of that? Can't we just talk about something else instead of getting close to the line? Can't we just let it go?

On my part, I want to see Luna finally try humanoid form, to see how it goes. And I cannot deny that the image that Zoat keeps sharing of her humanoid form is playing a big role in my interest. Besides that, we haven't seen Grayven check on his off planet interests and I want to know what's going on with his Corps and with the Kryptonian clones. Maybe nothing, or maybe there is another storyline there waiting to happen. Stuff more interesting that the latest iteration of With This Ring getting close to sensitive matters, in my opinion.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    To be fair, literally everything violates rule 8.

27. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

1st May
    13:21 GMT -5

Morning brings the chatter of bird-analogues and the rapid culling of beetle-analogues by their snapping beaks. Winged insects don't appear to be a big feature here, with pollination-duty being taken by pseudo-hummingbirds and small climbing pseudo-reptiles, but fairly tanky-looking scavenger beetles are ducking and covering as they go about their carrion-seeking duties.

The journey down Columbia's road system was… Interesting. It was as if we were flicking between intersections and villages with the rest of the network appearing only as momentary blurs. At the same time, the rattle of the solid metal-rimmed wheels and the clopping of the horses' hooves were completely constant. Since this appears to require a highly trained speciality and doesn't work -or doesn't work safely- in a built-up area, I don't think it's got the sort of wider applications that Ted and I look for. But if we work out how to train a person as quickly as possible… Maybe.

"Checkmate."

And I've just lost the thirty-second consecutive chess game to Leonid.

"Can't we play something else instead?"

"You mean, like that board game you wrote? Or perhaps like that card game you made that comes from your universe, that no one else can understand?"

Abednego glances back.

"Games of skill are perfectly good pastimes, but I'll not have gambling in my cart."

"I don't gamble, Mister Abednego. But my grandparents taught me basic arithmetic using card games. I really don't see what the objective difference between chess pieces and cards is."

"People are wont to gamble on cards, even if you do not. People do not gamble on chess.

Leonid shakes his head. "In Russia, people gamble on chess games. More often on card games, but chess is very popular."

Abednego doesn't look impressed.

"How about Othello?"

"I know it not. Be it a gambling game?"

"W-. You can gamble on just about anything. You don't even need to gamble on poker."

"I be unconvinced-."

"Mister Abednego." Mr. Yao taps our guide on his right shoulder. "Can you give us some idea of how much further we have to go?"

"If the weather holds… Two more days' travel."

"And you're sure we can't just fly there?"

"Be you proof against maleficium most foul?"

"Highly resistant? Magic can't find me, and my spell eater amulets tend to nullify spells that try and affect me."

He frowns. "Magic cannot find you?"

"Scrying me or scrying my location won't work, even with a blood sample. Any spell which is supposed to guide itself to a target won't if I'm the target."

"That is a strange thing. Forgive my doubt, but such a claim is so at odds-."

"You can check. Even if you prove me wrong, it's a useful data-."

A red-white beam blasts through the cart just in front of me, burning into the ground beneath!

"Was that-?"

Abednego throws himself off the cart, hands reaching for his pistols as Mr Yao opens his mou-.

Ow! Need to start training with Justice League members who aren't Lanterns.

His mouth, and the sky vibrates. For a fraction of a second I see three… Shapes? And then they vanish again. I form a plasma initiator construct and launch it up into the sky as Leonid shoots upwards, flickers of fire leaping from his hands in all directions as he tries to find his target. No hits then I activate my construct, the activation energy of every gas molecule dropping to near-zero and causing an area about fifty metres in diameter to transmute into electrically charged plasma! Still nothing.

Ring, scan everything you can and extrapolate everything you can't. Also, armour.

Working.

And in the mean time, dismissing the plasma initiator and quietly cursing that we were right and we Lanterns did indeed lose access to our subspace storage, I send a torrent of orange filaments outwards in all directions. Five hundred metres, no contact. A kilometre… Nothing. A mile? Still nothing. Genuinely not there or exotic defence? Don't care. I turn filaments to blades and swing-.

My hands fall from my arms, my constructs failing at-

Call rings!

-once, a blade I can barely see leaping for my face!

A barely-heard sound, the noise of the very cogs of the celestial mechanisms of the universe rusting and grinding, the space in front of me flickering-.

And I see my first Sheeda as my blood-covered rings reach my arm-stumps, orange knives manifesting and stabbing-. And being turned to mist by the Sheeda's armour, fine, x-ionised knife.

A beam of red-white energy punches through my chest and vaporises my heart, along with a chunk of my torso.

Armour back punch with the knife restore chest bangs of pistols knife cuts armour draws blue-green blood. Knife evaporates Sheeda armour glistens crumble gauntlet evaporates.

Feed Us.

Sheeda armour grey thin pale face fears.

Feed Us.

Sheeda gasp fall back energy pulse parried pulls stone cracks Leonid flies through gone.

Gone.

Ow.

I set myself down on the ground somewhat unsteadily, planting my feet as my rings finish knitting my body back together. Looks like I-.

I raise my right hand to my face and feel a dozen minor cuts as they are erased by the orange light.

I took a beating I didn't even feel. And… I touch filaments to my severed hands and disintegrate them.

Mr Yao is singing…

Singing…

Singguh. Singing something hypnotic that I'm blocking with construct earmuffs. Abednego's dropped his pistols and has witch-signs glowing in each hand and Leonid is looking from Mr Yao to me… Looking for instructions?

"Mister Abednego, do you know what that was?"

"A Sheeda warrior."

"I-."

"I bid you wait. Once they leave, they seldom return at once, but I would not see a man dead for my laxity. If you are targeted, it be wise for me to share a little of what has befallen us."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn, that was the most damage he has taken in ages!

I honestly thought the Sheeda not that much of a threat but I was clearly wrong.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's the same as last time. The Sivanas were the ones to beat the Huntsman, not OL. As such, OL is going to have to rely on Feed me to fight.

30. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Should've gone for the head.