1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well, now that escalated quickly. I was concerned about splitting the party but I wasn't expecting this. Fascinating to see the Sheeda at last. Paul seems to be under-prepared for them.

Relyt33 and Lupercal like this.
  2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

This doesn't make much sense.

Relyt33, Silveraith and Darko like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A large part of this chapter was OL going into some kind of battle mode, so maybe that's why it feels weird.

4. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Although in ordinary debate to quote from a dictionary is a form of giving in, I hope that in this specific case where we are correcting word usage in prestige dialects you'll forgive me. From Merriam-Webster Online:
    Although effect (v.) is less common than effect (n.) or the two meanings of affect (v.), it is still sometimes the correct word for the job, especially in political contexts where the exact means are to be left vague.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So that's what? Three completely new powers Paul just pulled out of his ass this episode?

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Fascinating variations of animal life. Really drives home that this isn't Earth, no matter how it might look,

Reminds me of the minor cabbie character from Top Ten. Wore a blindfold behind the wheel, claimed Zen guided him to where he needed to go. Usually by breaking dozens of road rules getting there, and causing accidents like crazy... Yeah, I don't think this would work out in cities...

Oh, he's good. Or you're just that bad. :D Naturally, resisting the urge to cheat via the ring?

Oh, come on, Babylon 5 the CCG wasn't that bad, really? I mean, sure, it lacks the instant gratification of stuff like Magic... Then again, I've never played it...

Hmm... Would he tolerate a dice-based game like Warhammer, then? Sure, the fights are resolved via random rolling, but the grand sweep of tactics is all skill.

Dude, people will gamble on anything with an unclear outcome. Anything. You can gamble on whether it'll rain soon or not. Whether anyone will play with you, well...

Welcome to basic human nature, Brother.

Eh... Well... I wouldn't say so...

You're not going to change his mind on this, OL. Give up now...

Hoo-boy. If only they could use more advanced technology...

...Pffft... :V Hahahahahaaa. Oh, man, is OL the wrong guy to ask that question or what?

Oh, yes. Tattoos. Inscribed onto his nascent soul. Hurt like, well...

And a worry, if a spell Abednego uses can target him...

Random Encounter time! What did we roll today?

Well, those who can at least tolerate your presence. Keeping in mind how many don't like him...

Hit and run tactics, eh? Clever, but...

Oh, that'll work nicely. Especially if they have the good old Scry Wards in place...

Oh, that's meaty. Good luck hiding from that. And losing subspace? That's bad for his inventory-heavy combat style...

:eek: Holy shit! Fricking ninjas!

Goddamn elves! Anti-construct armour and supersharp blades. Never a good combination.

Oh, that isn't going to slow him down much these days...

Omnomnomnom on that delicious magic.

How's it feel to be on the other side of the coin, elfy-poo?

Dang, backup recall spell? Dirty elves. Scarily, that took all of what, ten seconds real time?

Well, that hurt. A lot. Crap, are the encounters here level-scaling? And here you are, all level-grinded up... :confused: This is gonna be a pleasant run.

"Heal, heal, heal the messy wounds..." Sorry, Order of the Stick flashback...:p

Tao's trying an AoE charm, just in case there's any still nearby? Good idea.

Sheeeeit. I mean, we know they're around in this area, but I doubt the group was expecting a random attack...

Yes, please do share. Anything you haven't mentioned might come back to bite you in the arse.

Oh, boy. Well, first encounter with the actual evil sadist future-space elves was not pleasant. Now they feel even more like Dark Eldar. Let's hope that was not setting the tone for the rest of the trip, because that's got me worried for Tao and Leonid's safety...

Not sure what that means. Perhaps 'tanky' might work?
    ...a highly trained speciality and...
    Should probably be a three-full-stop Ellipses.

If that war-party reports in about his resistance to damage, they may well. Hopefully being the Ophidian's sweetie will give him a bit more resistance than, say, Thanos.

7. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I mean, OL clearly doesn't keep anything important there, given that he spent all day on this new plane and didn't check to see if his subspace pocket was accessible. At the very least, if he had subspace available he'd be able to use some Garrick formula and actually be able to keep up with the fight going on around him.

8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Alchemical formulas don't work on Pargon OL.

9. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

He can still accelerate his mind with the ring.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except not, because you're already dead since you lost all constructs and just went into shock before you could even form a thought.

Except not, because you're already dead due to convection being a thing and the rest of your body going up like a soap bubble to the same white hot energy that just caused your heart to undergo vaporization.

But he didn't, note the lack of any "Accelerate" in this chapter.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the only power he showed here was being able to manipulate his ring and use it without it being connected to his body.

He has been practicing calling it back to him from a distance so it isn't exactly all that difficult to imagine that he's also been practicing some other things with it.

Or he may have checked when he got there and was now cursing that they couldn't use the subspace pockets, even though he figured out they couldn't do that when they got there, but the stress of the situation was making him curse it now.

He is an enlightened Lantern so using his rings is child's play for him.

And he does have enough motivation for that now that he's in battle.

He has also been injured in severe ways previously and didn't exactly go into shock, like that time Jade shot him in demon form. Yeah he was in pain, but not in shock.

His mental framework isn't exactly like that of your typical human.

He already called his rings back so it isn't all that difficult to imagine that he had them make sure that he doesn't die and that's what saved him from dying here.

He was also once butchered by an Angel who if I remember correctly actually decapitated him and yet he survived as a spirit.

He may have also survived as a spirit here, but he fixed his body and began to inhabit it again.

He also may have done it and we were just not shown it in the text.

12. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I suspect that OL has steadily optimized himself enough that isn't needed anymore.

Silveraith, Ardy, CTrees and 2 others like this.
  13. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

FYI, you don't die instantly from shock. Unconsciousness takes roughly 2-10 seconds even after being completely decapitated; OL would have more than enough time to call his rings back to himself, given his enlightenment and extensive practice in controlling his rings when separated from even much further than a yard away.

nick012000, JoTa34, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, he knew it wasn't available. And he won't use the Garrick formula due to the risk of exploding.

15. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Like what? "Feed Me" was in way older chapters, The knives are simple constructs, the rings coming to him are also old news, and him not immediately dying is done via orange light assisted regeneration. Kinda simple old school stuff. What's new about them?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well it may work in a city created by Terry Pratchett.

They guy made a city where there is a guild in which beggars gather to make begging plans, so it isn't all that difficult to imagine.

Don't know if chess is all that popular in Britain, but even if it is we know that OL lacks several of the characteristics of a Brit, like a love of Shakespeare and tea.

Or this:

We suggest you take a lot of aspirin for the headaches you're about to receive in this course.

But you said anything can be gambling.

Yeah, the bad magics tend to stick to him like a pedophile on a child, just ask Mammon and Satanus.

Well is you were unconscious in a room with John Constantine a lot of things will hurt.

Oh god, he was unconscious in a room with John and a woman who gave John a blowjob when he was a minor...

The tattoos may not be the only thing they did to him.

I think the only one that doesn't really like him is Hawkwoman, and maybe Hal.

The others may be wary of him, but may not actively dislike him.

He and OL have something in common then.

Unless you're a masochist, such encounters rarely are pleasant.

He was once decapitated by an Angel, so he should be fine.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Sheeda are psychic time travelling magicians who made off with a Fatherbox given to Aurakle, and who can make giants that seem to be made out of green energy that is suggestive....
    [​IMG]

18. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

They didn't work because he didn't have a soul at the time but we don't know if they wouldn't work now because as far as we know I don't think zoat has brought it up again

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His soul isn't exactly a standard soul, and Zoat already mentioned why he doesn't use the formula.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He has a non-standard soul thanks to the Ophidian. As such, no one is sure what alchemical potions made for humans with standard souls would do to him. Worst case scenario, he blows up. That's why he's more into tech, exotic ring usage, exotic materials, and magic artifacts.

21. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

hm.. Vae kinda has a point-though the stuff about the time it takes to pass out from shock/deoxygenation after cesation of circulation is accurate afaik-
    maybe adjust the wording for the torso/cardiac injuries to lean more towards a cutting/brute force blowing/tearing a chunk out of his torso feel?

the vaporization thing makes me think of what a lasgun does to an un(40ktechbullshit)armoured soft target when it flash-boils intercellular water into a steam explosion-essentially the tissue hit turns into a miniture grenade in a worst-case direct hit,if i recall correctly-
    if his entire heart/a good chunk of the bone/tissue around it was vaporized, it should have completely/mostly gibbed his torso rather then "just" taking a large chunk out, according to my (obviously incomplete understanding of the physics involved)-

though aside from that, the brutality/non-nonsense straight-for-the-kill nature of the assassination attempt came through pretty well-

im..rather curious as to what exactly caused humanity's inbred descendants to Pass enough successive SAN checks to dump the "pretending to be fucking elves when we're making the resource shortage KILLING us worse by retroactively removing the resources we need from the star system like outright imbeciles" twaddle and go straight for a non-nonsense,seemingly non-arcane scry-and-die killstrike without stroking their egos/pretending to be mysterious- i mean, given how much time and irreplaceable materials/energy they waste pretending to be literal faeries, its a..surprisingly pragmatic opening volley...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    zerofarad, Wheenesss and Cuchulin like this.
  22. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

One day they'll learn to go for the head.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Gantradies like this.
  23. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

You know, to be fair, Going for the torso IS a fair technique if you’re assuming your target might be a full-body cyborg with their brain relocated into an armoured core- but I have doubts that was an actual consideration in this case.

would they have much experience with power ring usage in their situation- could explain the lapse considering how close the attack came to offing OL even with his potentially broken power set? I’m trying to remeber if the sheeda were outright under quarantine or were just trapped inside earths orbit/Sol..

24. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

and that was a mook too. The actual named sheeda are gonna be a real fight.

Rebu likes this.
  25. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

activate, or does he not have time for the verb? or, I suppose, this could be a Britishism

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except his constructs had very specifically failed, meaning shock would have hit him like speeding mac truck knocking out his ability to do anything.

Except he didn't.

We had everything he did described to us in detail, so either he Dannered himself when we weren't looking, or he's dead.

Nope.

We aren't talking about unconsciousness, we are talking about shock, which he would have gone into the second his constructs failed and were no longer holding back the pain from having his arms cut off.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or it didn't hit him and he was able to call back his ring. His way of thinking and how he responds to certain situations isn't exactly like that of an average human.

If I remember correctly I think Paul once mentioned to Kon that he has made some small changes to himself, but nothing too severe, so maybe he removed his ability to feel shock because he may have considered it unnecessary. Though I don't remember where this was.

Okay I know I've said before that you really don't read this story, but this is just proof of that belief.

OL called his rings to him.

OL is very much not dead in this chapter.

He also can't use the Danner formula because of his unusual soul.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  28. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Nope. (See, I can do it too!)

Paul is very explicitly not human anymore, and has on several occasions been injured just as badly as he has in this chapter. Sure, Paragon hasn't gone through the same amount of torture as Renegade has, but he's prepared and trained himself to want through pain and distraction, so it stands to reason that he wouldn't fail to do so here.

Cockus Blockamus, Ardy and Darko like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

30. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

Yeah, the important thing is that his Orange Lantern abilities are more spiritual than mental. His rings have standing orders to restore his body in the event of catastrophic failure, and there's no reason something as mundane as shock would stop him from needing them to him, since he's not green and doesn't have to focus, or even be consciously aware of what he wants in order to actualise it (though, since his enlightenment, he is also that, at all times)
    We also know he can manipulate the Orange Light without any body at all - half a body and two rings just makes it easier.

Darko likes this.